HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Better Draft for the Hurricanes: 2007 or 2008

View Poll Results: Which draft will turn out better for the Hurricanes: 2007 or 2008?
2007 7 46.67%
2008 7 46.67%
Too close to call 1 6.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-20-2010, 01:38 PM
Scorvo

vCash: 500
Better Draft for the Hurricanes: 2007 or 2008

With the draft coming up in about a month, I was thinking back on what appear to be two of our better drafts and trying to decide which is better. I was having a tough time deciding and was wondering what your opinions are regarding which of the two do you think will be remembered as the best for the Huricanes.

2007:
11th overall: Brandon Sutter
72nd overall: Drayson Bowman
102nd overall: Justin McCrae
132nd overall: Chris Terry
162nd overall: Brett Bellemore

2008:
14th overall: Zach Boychuk
45th overall: Zac Dalpe
49th overall: Jared Staal (Acquired in a trade afterwards, count him if you want)
105th overall: Michal Jordan
165th overall: Mike Murphy
195th overall: Samuel Morneau

so '07 or '08?

Scorvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 02:58 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

07 because there is only one NHL ready player on either list

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 03:19 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 2498
damn close one, but I'm leaning 08

2007:
Brandon Sutter - 1st round, #11OA. Great pick, 5th in Canes scoring in only his 2nd year pro. Would probably be a top 5 pick from that draft now ahead of notables like Turris, Hickey, Alzner, Hamill (who I was very high on), Ellerby and probably Couture.
Drayson Bowman - 3rd round, #72OA. Led Albany in scoring in the AHL playoffs after a season that was a bit less then expected, great pick for where he was taken and has shown some glimpses in the NHL.
Justin McCrae - 4th round, #102OA. Never was supposed to be much of an offensive prospect, but after not being signed this year he failed to produce much at UBC. Safe to say this one is a bust.
Chris Terry - 5th round, #132OA. Better then expected season for Albany this year after a great junior career. Huge pickup for where he was drafted, but still probably a couple seasons off.
Brett Bellemore - 6th round, #162OA. Completely off the board pick, Bellemore was a rock for Plymouth defensively and is developing into one for Albany. Not sure how far off he is to be honest.

2008:
Zach Boychuk - 1st round, #14OA. Didn't have an offensively dominant season, but was good enough to finish #4 for Albany in PPG behind Samson, Osala and Tlusty. Should be eased into a 3rd line role with the Canes next season if Whitney returns. Too early to tell but has huge upside.
Zac Dalpe - 2nd round, #45OA. Went from solid player as a Freshman at OSU to outright dominant last season. Carried that over nicely to the AHL level. May make the jump to the NHL as soon as next season. Probably the most underrated of the top end prospects selected in the 2nd round that season.
Jared Staal - 2nd round, #49OA. A bit of a disappointment on a Sudbury team that as a whole was disappointing. More of a long term project then his brothers and we probably won't know for a few seasons whether or not Phoenix made a good pick here or if he was worth trading our 5th this year.
Michal Jordan - 4th round, #105OA. Played a leadership role on the Czech U-20 team and is a solid offensive defenseman prospect. Still a bit of a boom or bust pick but it's looking like he'll turn out to be pretty good.
Mike Murphy - 6th round, #165OA. One of the steals of the draft, Murphy is regarded as one of the best goaltenders in the entire draft already with huge upside. He put up great nubers in the OHL and carried that over rather nicely to the AHL level this year. Could be a starter in a few years, it will probably just be with another team.
Samuel Morneau - 7th round, #195OA. Productive player for Val d'Or but still unsigned at this point. It's unknown whether or not he will be before the draft but I have yet to see anything that says we shouldn't sign this kid.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 03:24 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Right now I go with 2007 just because Sutter has been the best player so far, at least in the NHL. If Boychuk and Dalpe continue to improve then I'd probably go with 2007 but it's close. I'm not using Jared in my opinions since we didn't draft him.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 03:45 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
I'm going to have to go with 2007, because the talent level as compared to 2008 made it MUCH harder to find quality draft selections. That is an underrated aspect of grading a draft against another year. Finding Sutter, Bowman, and Terry in '07 was huge.

Sutter at 11th could have been the "best" pick of that round. In terms of having to evaluate all the talent on the board and making the right pick that wasn't a no brainer, it was an elite pick.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 04:52 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 2498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
I'm going to have to go with 2007, because the talent level as compared to 2008 made it MUCH harder to find quality draft selections. That is an underrated aspect of grading a draft against another year. Finding Sutter, Bowman, and Terry in '07 was huge.

Sutter at 11th could have been the "best" pick of that round. In terms of having to evaluate all the talent on the board and making the right pick that wasn't a no brainer, it was an elite pick.
I will say that this is most definitely true. 2007 wasn't regarded as that strong of a year heading in with the top 7 prospects (Kane, JVR, Turris, Alzner, Voracek, Gagner and Cherepanov) then a bunch of complete and total question marks after that. The Cherepanov tragedy was unforeseeable, but the fact that Sutter is well ahead of Alzner and Turris in development is huge. The 08 draft on the other hand has a chance to go down as being right on par with the 03 draft.

Finding a likely top 6 contributor in Bowman, and two others that are relatively likely (Terry and Bellemore) to make the team in at least top 9 and bottom pairing roles is pretty damn big.

That said I'll still take 08. While Dalpe and Bowman are looking like they would both be easily worthy of being first round picks in their respective drafts, that more of an accomplishment for Dalpe when looking at who all went in that draft. Murphy could have the highest upside of any of our prospects from that draft, and that's saying a LOT.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 08:57 PM
NobodysFaulkButMine
You jelly, Staal?

Send a message via AIM to NobodysFaulkButMine
I like '08 for the depth. We very well could have all of those picks spend significant time in the AHL, with a number of them making the permanent NHL jump. Although I love Bellemore and Terry, I give the edge to '08 simply because all 5 of our picks could play an NHL game with, like I said, a few of them becoming NHL regulars. Not many teams can pull out a haul like that.

Also, Mike Murphy's potential pushes me over the edge. From a potential standpoint, he's our best prospect with the highest upside. But of course, whether or not he reaches it, will be seen.

NobodysFaulkButMine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 06:54 AM
Scorvo

The fact that we ended up with Dalpe and Boychuk in the first two rounds makes me go for 08. I think both of those guys will be Hurricanes for a very long time.

Scorvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 08:50 AM
Joe McGrath

My original response was that it is too early to tell, but since this is an opinion about which will turn out better I will say 2007. I've seen what Sutter can do and I believe he will be the best player of all those mentioned. I think Boychuk and Dalpe have the potential to be better producers than Sutter, but I doubt either of them will contribute to the all-around game the way Sutter does. That's just gut feeling though, I'm not an advanced scout at the NHL level so I could be completely wrong (as they are half the time)

Last edited by Joe McGrath: 05-21-2010 at 08:57 AM. Reason: I'm stupid
Joe McGrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 11:49 AM
totalkev

It just warms my heart that we're talking about "which Hurricanes draft was better" and not "which Hurricanes draft was more of a disaster." The WhalerCanes being a solid team at the draft table is tied with "the Patriots being the model NFL franchise" at the top of my personal "Things I'd Never Expect in a Million Years" list.

BTW, Arnold Schwarzenegger being Governor of California, Heidi Klum marrying Seal and having 18 kids, and Keanu Reeves's entire career fill out the rest of my top five.

totalkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 12:28 PM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalkev View Post
It just warms my heart that we're talking about "which Hurricanes draft was better" and not "which Hurricanes draft was more of a disaster." The WhalerCanes being a solid team at the draft table is tied with "the Patriots being the model NFL franchise" at the top of my personal "Things I'd Never Expect in a Million Years" list.

BTW, Arnold Schwarzenegger being Governor of California, Heidi Klum marrying Seal and having 18 kids, and Keanu Reeves's entire career fill out the rest of my top five.
Well done sir, well done

faulkingdynamic is offline   Reply With Quote