HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Interference in non-contact league

Old
04-23-2010, 12:04 AM
Renneys Revenge

vCash: 500
Interference in non-contact league

If this is in the wrong section feel free to move it.
I am relatively new to playing hockey and currently am playing in a non-contact men's league. When I am playing defensively (on offense or defense), if I skate in between a player on the other team and the puck while another player on my team is going for it, is that interference? Since there is no contact I'm not knocking him off the play, but I am still impeding his path to the puck. Is this good defense or interference? I have never been called for it but since it's beginners there is some leeway.

Renneys Revenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2010, 08:14 AM
nystromshairstylist
Puck control master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renneys Revenge View Post
I am relatively new to playing hockey and currently am playing in a non-contact men's league. When I am playing defensively (on offense or defense), if I skate in between a player on the other team and the puck while another player on my team is going for it, is that interference? Since there is no contact I'm not knocking him off the play, but I am still impeding his path to the puck. Is this good defense or interference? I have never been called for it but since it's beginners there is some leeway.
My understanding is that if you simply skate in between, its ok, but any contact makes it an interference call. I had posted a similar question a while back, referring to "setting picks" as in basketball, and was told IIRC that it was a no-no. I'll let one of the more knowledgeable posters step in now...

nystromshairstylist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2010, 09:07 AM
Semper Sens

Quote:
So you set a pick right? That's interference but it probably won't be called unless you do it all the time. Once every couple of games likely won't hurt since it won't be complained about to the refs.

I did it maybe three times this season and I felt bad about it haha. But I think it's a great idea, I normally did it when the puck was dumped in and my defensive partner was going to get it, I'd just turn my back to the forechecking winger and skate right in front of him.

The only reason I think there's an unwritten rule against it is I can't think of a time it's happened to me, and I do play forward on occasion.

Like nystrom though, I'll let the other, more experienced players on the board make the final decision.

Semper Sens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2010, 09:12 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I think it depends on the refs (of course) and the level of play. Usually at lower levels they let a lot of little stuff go to speed up the game.

I believe in some leagues (maybe it's universal), if you're moving towards the puck and block the other player's progress, that's okay, but if you go straight at the player, that's interference. If you're skating towards the puck (back to the other player), you can maneuver to block him, depends on how strong a skater you are and how aware you are of what's going on the ice.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2010, 10:30 AM
noobman

Quote:
What you're doing is legal, because from the ref's POV you're allowed to claim your ice. If you hit him it's interference... if you just decide to act as a pick you're just occupying space and forcing him to take another path.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL.com
A player is allowed the ice he is standing on (body position) and is not required to move in order to let an opponent proceed. A player may “block” the path of an opponent provided he is in front of his opponent and moving in the same direction. Moving laterally and without establishing body position, then making contact with the non-puck carrier is not permitted and will be penalized as interference.
Here's the NHL rule on the matter. You can pick as long as you don't make contact, or the player doesn't dive. I do it all the time, and people do it to me all the time.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2010, 11:12 AM
Gino 14

What you are doing is interference.

Quote:
Rule 621 Interference
(a) A minor penalty shall be imposed on a player who interferes
with or impedes the progress of an opponent who is not in
possession of the puck,
You do not have to have contact to have interference.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2010, 11:16 AM
Hfboards2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
What you're doing is legal...
I think quoting the whole paragraph would be helpful.

Quote:
NHL.com, Rule 56.1, paragraph 3

[1] A player is allowed the ice he is standing on (body position) and is not required to move in order to let an opponent proceed.

[2] A player may “block” the path of an opponent provided he is in front of his opponent and moving in the same direction.

[3] Moving laterally and without establishing body position, then making contact with the non-puck carrier is not permitted and will be penalized as interference.

[4]A player is always entitled to use his body position to lengthen an opponent’s path to the puck,
provided
[a] his stick is not utilized (to make himself “bigger” and therefore considerably lengthening the distance his opponent must travel to get where he is going);
[b] his free hand is not used and
[c] he does not take advantage of his body position to deliver an otherwise illegal check.
As far as I am concerned, the best way to do legal interference is to skate in front of an opponent, in the same direction [2]. You will be able to delay him by anything from 1 to 3 seconds, legally.

If you face your opponent (e.g. skating backwards), you could be tempted to use your stick, hands or make contact. Those things are unlikely to happen if you skate forward with your back facing the opponent.

Last edited by Hfboards2010: 04-23-2010 at 11:26 AM.
Hfboards2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2010, 02:20 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino 14 View Post

Yiieeeeeegh I do not agree with that.

Soooo .... forcing a guy wide by forechecking him is interference? I don't think so and neither is getting in a guy's way to prevent him from skating where he was going with the puck or without it. If he skates into you "makes contact" it is a penalty unless the ref deems he skated into you or you skated into him with "incidental contact".

The point being contact is made for there to be a call in either case.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2010, 08:21 PM
Gino 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
Yiieeeeeegh I do not agree with that.

Soooo .... forcing a guy wide by forechecking him is interference? I don't think so and neither is getting in a guy's way to prevent him from skating where he was going with the puck or without it. If he skates into you "makes contact" it is a penalty unless the ref deems he skated into you or you skated into him with "incidental contact".

The point being contact is made for there to be a call in either case.
Doesn't really matter if you agree or not, that's straight out of USAH rules (thus the quotes). Also, it's more than obvious that interference doesn't apply if the opponent has the puck. If you happen to stay with the original thread rather than trying to come up with your own examples, the example he gave is interference.

Old
04-25-2010, 07:46 PM
Renneys Revenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by gc View Post
But I think it's a great idea, I normally did it when the puck was dumped in and my defensive partner was going to get it, I'd just turn my back to the forechecking winger and skate right in front of him.
This is pretty much exactly what I was talking about. Thanks for all the insight.

Old
04-26-2010, 06:12 AM
Gino 14

Quote:
This is pretty much exactly what I was talking about. Thanks for all the insight.
So you don't really care if it's legal or not as long as someone else says it's ok?

Old
04-26-2010, 10:20 AM
Semper Sens

Quote:
Quote:
So you don't really care if it's legal or not as long as someone else says it's ok?
haha, I think I'll clarify my post now. I did it a few times at the beginning of the season, then stopped because, as I said, there seems to be an unwritten rule against it. I've never had someone set a pick on me before (at least I don't think so) and that's what makes me think setting picks is seen as "unacceptable" in a beer league/rec league.

Although it seems to be allowed according to HfBoards2010's post, there are plenty of things that are allowed by the rules that aren't allowed by the players in a particular league.

Semper Sens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 10:22 AM
noobman

If all else fails, remember that it's only a penalty when you get called for it. Butt ends, spears, slashes, facewashes.... all are fair game if the refs don't see it!

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 08:25 PM
Renneys Revenge

Quote:
haha how that quote could be applied! but anyways from the gist of all the posts it sounds like what im doing is pretty much allowed. on certain occasions ill just have to keep the actual rule in mind.

Old
04-27-2010, 06:18 AM
Gino 14

Quote:
on certain occasions ill just have to keep the actual rule in mind.
Don't worry about the rules, they're just there to make the game fair for all. Not an issue here.

Old
04-27-2010, 02:20 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:

I just simply cannot agree with that. Your quote and any other in here also mentions nothing about interference without CONTACT.

The closest we have in here is

[4]A player is always entitled to use his body position to lengthen an opponent’s path to the puck,
provided
[a] his stick is not utilized (to make himself “bigger” and therefore considerably lengthening the distance his opponent must travel to get where he is going);
[c] he does not take advantage of his body position to deliver an otherwise illegal check.

If there is NO contact there is NO penalty. Give an example here or something .... cripes I have never seen an interference call made when there is no contact.

Enlighten me because I cannot discern anything from the posted quotes in here to tell me otherwise. I'll go along with it if I get a proper example my dumb ass can understand lol.

If you use your free hand it is holding. If you use your stick it is hooking etc if not skating in position in the same direction as the player is already.

Last edited by Hockeyfan68: 04-27-2010 at 02:38 PM.
Old
04-27-2010, 03:03 PM
Gino 14

Quote:
I just simply cannot agree with that. Your quote and any other in here also mentions nothing about interference without CONTACT.

The closest we have in here is

provided

If there is NO contact there is NO penalty. Give an example here or something .... cripes I have never seen an interference call made when there is no contact.

Enlighten me because I cannot discern anything from the posted quotes in here to tell me otherwise. I'll go along with it if I get a proper example my dumb ass can understand lol.

If you use your free hand it is holding. If you use your stick it is hooking etc if not skating in position in the same direction as the player is already.
The point you're missing is that the quote I posted also does not say anything about contact, only the action of blocking an opponent from getting to a puck that you are not attempting to play. If contact were a requirement for interference, it would be listed.

Old
04-27-2010, 03:53 PM
blueberrydanish

As many said, I have never seen interference call when there is no real contact.

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 06:58 PM
Gino 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueberrydanish View Post
As many said, I have never seen interference call when there is no real contact.
You ever see people driving faster than the speed limit with a cop around and not get picked up? You're still speeding and it's still illegal, sometimes it's just not worth the effort. The question wasn't if you had seen it called in that situation, but if it is illegal.

Old
04-27-2010, 10:50 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueberrydanish View Post
I'm glad I am not the only one that is crazy.

Old
04-28-2010, 06:28 AM
Gino 14

Quote:
I'm glad I am not the only one that is crazy.
Here's an idea. Get a rulebook, learn the rules, become a ref, and then you can call the rules anyway you want. I just love it when someone wants to know what the rules actually are and then reads them and says that not really how it is or that they never saw it called that way.

Old
04-28-2010, 09:13 AM
Skraut

One question I've had on Interference in a non-checking league has to be with guarding the front of the net. I'm still new to playing hockey, having only started the first of the year, and our team is comprised completely of adult newbies has been playing exhibition games against other C and D league teams.

Since I can't check a guy out of there, I've been resorting to just focusing on the forwards stick, and am constantly hitting it, lifting it, sticking it between my legs, even managed to get one guy to have it tangled in the net. All of this is while the puck is nowhere near the front of the net. It's gotten guys off their game, and I'm constantly getting chirped about it. I was under the impression it was legal, I just wanted to make sure.

I've also had guys get called for crease violations because they get into the crease, I set up just outside the crease start messing with their stick, hold my ground, and they get called. I don't try and hold them in there if they want to vacate it on their own, but usually they're so busy trying to get their stick back on the ice, or trying to make their stick dodge my fencing moves, they forget where they are.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 06:48 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Here's an idea. Get a rulebook, learn the rules, become a ref, and then you can call the rules anyway you want. I just love it when someone wants to know what the rules actually are and then reads them and says that not really how it is or that they never saw it called that way.
You are talking about a kind of play you will never see since people are not so stupid as to openly and blatantly cause interference without contact. I've never seen it, no really I have never seen it. You would have to be so openly blatant in your actions that the rule is useless even being in any book as described.

... well except for Sean Avery standing in front of Brodeur waving arms madly and going "Boogetybooogety boooogah gobbahbleegahgoogoohahaheyho" in the playoffs.

Old
04-28-2010, 06:51 PM
blueberrydanish

Quote:
You ever see people driving faster than the speed limit with a cop around and not get picked up? You're still speeding and it's still illegal, sometimes it's just not worth the effort. The question wasn't if you had seen it called in that situation, but if it is illegal.
Did I say it was legal? Get over it.

Old
04-28-2010, 06:55 PM
blueberrydanish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
One question I've had on Interference in a non-checking league has to be with guarding the front of the net. I'm still new to playing hockey, having only started the first of the year, and our team is comprised completely of adult newbies has been playing exhibition games against other C and D league teams.

Since I can't check a guy out of there, I've been resorting to just focusing on the forwards stick, and am constantly hitting it, lifting it, sticking it between my legs, even managed to get one guy to have it tangled in the net. All of this is while the puck is nowhere near the front of the net. It's gotten guys off their game, and I'm constantly getting chirped about it. I was under the impression it was legal, I just wanted to make sure.

I've also had guys get called for crease violations because they get into the crease, I set up just outside the crease start messing with their stick, hold my ground, and they get called. I don't try and hold them in there if they want to vacate it on their own, but usually they're so busy trying to get their stick back on the ice, or trying to make their stick dodge my fencing moves, they forget where they are.
Playing the stick is pretty much the best thing you can do aslong as you aren't "holding" it obviously. I play in non contact also but am still allowed to move guys out of the goalies view if they are right by the crease, do it as much as I can with no calls.