(28) Igor Ulanov
(29) Boris Mironov
(30) Sergei Zubov

****GOALIES****

(31) Nikolai Khabibulin
(32) Evgeni Nabokov
(33) Maxim Sokolov
(34) Ilya Bryzgalov

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(1) SERGEI FEDOROV, CENTER, Anaheim Mighty Ducks

Past appearances for Russia :
World Cup 1996 : 5 GP, 3 G, 3 A, 6 PT
Olympics 1998 : 6 GP, 1 G, 5 A, 6 PT
Olympics 2002 : 6 GP, 2 G, 2 A, 4 PT

It cannot be argued that Sergei Fedorov is still one of the best players in the NHL. Coming off a disappointing campaign with Anaheim in 2003-2004, Fedorov showed flashes of what made him the first European born MVP 10 years ago in most important games against Colorado, Detroit and New Jersey.

Status : his participation at the World Cup 2004 is questionnable after a suprising statement made in an interview in Sovetvsky Sport. But media also reported a similar story before the 2002 Olympics, so ...

(2) ALEXEI YASHIN, CENTER, New York Islanders

World Cup 1996 : 5/0+3=3
Olympics 1998 : 6/3+3=6
Olympics 2002 : 6/1+1=2

Once considered for the Hart Trophy, Yashin’s career has been fading ever since he joined the Islanders 3 years ago. This season Alexei suffered a serious hand injury that kept him away from playing for almost 3 months, but he returned late in the season and played in the playoffs and at the World Championship in Prague.

Status : his selection for the World Cup is almost certain, but his production relies on his ability to fully recover from his hand fracture.

(3) ALEXEI ZHAMNOV, CENTER, Philadelphia Flyers

World Cup 1996 : 4/0+2=2
Olympics 1998 : 6/2+1=3
Olympics 2002 : 6/1+0=1

Zhamnov has been thriving since his trade to Philly. Finally playing for a Stanley Cup contender, he showed what made him a Second Team All-Star in the shortened 1994-1995 campaign. After the first 2 rounds of the playoffs, Alexei leads the NHL in scoring with 12 points.

(4) PAVEL DATSYUK, CENTER, Detroit Red Wings

Olympics 2002 : 6/1+2=3

This season Pavel Datsyuk established himself as one of the best offensive centers in the game. He led the President’s Trophy champions Red Wings in scoring, and was probably the most spectacular player to watch during the season.

Status : he will play and should be able to contribute greatly especially if he plays with a top scoring winger.

(5) ALEXEI KOVALEV, Right Wing, Montreal Canadiens

World Cup 1996 : 5/3+1=4
Olympics 2002 : 6/3+1=4

Kovalev’s drop of production in 2004 was more than predictable after his return to the Rangers. Nonetheless in the 2004 Playoffs Alexei proved he was still one of the top offensive players in the NHL : just ask captain Saku Koivu!

(6) ALEXANDER OVECHKIN, Right Wing, Dynamo Moscow

World Championship 2004 : 6/1+1=2

Next month Ovechkin will certainly become the second Russian ever to be drafted in the first position. But more than just a great junior, he is viewed by many scouts as the top NHL prospect since Mario Lemieux. His skills are so great, that at just 18, he might be the youngest player at this summer’s event.

Status : in 1991 Canada selected Eric Lindros to play at the Canada Cup … Alexander Ovechkin should follow the same path in 2004.

(7) SERGEI SAMSONOV, Left Wing, Boston Bruins

Following an injury plagued 2002-2003 season, this season Sergei Samsonov was trying to regain his level of play that made him a 75-point scorer with Boston. This season he suffered a couple of mild injuries, but Samsonov performed very well in the Playoffs, leading the Bruins in scoring in a disappointing 7-game series against Montreal.

Status : the former Calder Trophy winner will be a good addition for Team Russia. Let’s just hope that this time he can lift the puck over a goalie’s glove if needed (damn Mike Richter!!!).

(8) ALEXANDER MOGILNY, Right Wing, Toronto Maple Leafs

World Cup 1996 : 5/2+4=6

There is no question that Alexander Mogilny is a great scoring winger, and the fact that he has been injury prone throughout his NHL career will not affect his game in a 6 games short tournament like the World Cup. But is Mogilny willing to play for his home land? In the past he made it perfectly clear that he wouldn’t play at the Olympics, but the fact that the World Cup is organized by the NHL might change his mind … who knows?

Status : Mogilny will play if he wants to. This means a coaching change because he won’t certainly play for either Viktor Tikhonov or Boris Mikhailov.

(9) ILYA KOVALCHUK, Left Wing, Atlanta Thrashers

What to say about Ilya Kovalchuk? He's got talent, great skills, speed … in 2004, at only 20 years of age, Ilya led the NHL in goals (41), finished second in scoring (87) , and has already recorded over 100 goals and 200 points in his NHL career!!! It’s hard to imagine where he’ll be at in 5 years from now! But the main question is whether he’ll be able to make passes to his teammates and stop shooting the puck from every position ... which wasn't, unfortunately, the case in Salt Lake City.

Status : will be proud to play for his home country, and will be dangerous at all times for the opponents.

(10) VALERI BURE, Right Wing, Dallas Stars

Olympics 1998 : 6/1+1=2
Olympics 2002 : 6/1+0=1

The younger brother of The Russian Rocket is coming off of an above average season with the Panthers and the Stars. It was very positive to see “Valera” regain some of the scoring touch that helped him get 35 goals in 2000. But is that enough to play in the World Cup? It certinaly depends on how the Russians play. Indeed Valeri showed great assets in a Russian team that played puck possession, but can Bure help on a smaller rink that clearly enhances physical and explosive hockey?

Status : he should be selected but will bring little to his team, although he could be very useful on the poweplay.

(11) ALEXANDER FROLOV, Left Wing, Los Angeles Kings

World Championship 2003

One of the top young players in the game. In his second season with the Kings, Frolov led the team in goals (24) and was second in points (48). But more importantly he clearly improved on his all around game, playing more aggressively with the puck and used his size at his advantage. His sniping skills will be a great asset for Russia.

Status : at 22, he’ll be Russia’s 3rd youngest player selected for the World Cup alongside Ovechkin and Kovalchuk.

(12) ALEKSEY MOROZOV, Left Wing, Pittsburgh Penguins

Olympics 1998 : 6/2+2=4

Playing with Mario Lemieux really improved Morozov’s game. It also looks like that with time he is gaining the confidence and the mental toughness that he lacked in the past. Morozov will play a few more seasons before he can finally play up to his potential, but in a short tournament his skills can be extremely valuable to his team. Remember Nagano '98.

(13) VYACHESLAV KOZLOV, Left Wing, Atlanta Thrashers

World Cup 1996 : 5/1+2=3

The 32 year-old winger has showed some really nice things in the past, especially in the Red Wings back-to-back Cup runs in 1997 and 1998. A natural goal-scorer, he turned into a playmaker in Atlanta while adapting to Heatley’s and Kovalchuk’s style of play. But Slava often lacks motivation, and that’s the main reason his role with Russia is questionable.

Status : could be selected, but won’t play a very important role for the team.

(14) OLEG KVASHA, Left Wing, New York Islanders

Olympics 2002 : 5/0+0=0

Oleg had a career season with Islanders in 2003-2004 as he tied for the team lead in scoring (51) while playing on the team’s top two lines. But is that enough to impress Russia's coaches?

Status : if he’s selected, he’ll see limited action like in Salt Lake City.

(15) VIKTOR KOZLOV, Forward, New Jersey Devils

World Championship 2000

The big Russian has been very disappointing the last few years, especially since a great campaign in 1999-2000. This season he was acquired by the Devils to improve their offense, but Kozlov proved it was a mistake and spent more time on the bench than playing. He can play very well if lined with a top scoring winger (Pavel Bure?).

(16) ANDREI NIKOLISHIN, Center, Colorado Avalanche

World Cup 1996 : 4/1+3=4
Olympics 2002 : 6/0+1=1

Andrei Nikolishin has had a good season overall with the Avalanche even if he saw limited action due to problems with his back. If he’s healthy, he perfectly fills in the role of a checking line center and usually performs well in the defensive end.

(17) PAVEL BURE, Right Wing, New York Rangers

Olympics 1998 : 6/9+0=9

“The Russian Rocket” is the top goal scorer in the World … when he's playing. He missed the entire 2003-2004 season due to a persistant knee injury. But there have been rumors that he could be ready for the World Cup. And what if?

Status : no, Pavel won’t play. He could be Russia’s GM though.

(18) OLEG TVERDOVSKY, Defenseman, Avangard Omsk

World Cup 1996 : 4/1+0=1

In his first season back to Russia, Oleg Tverdovsky was named Defenseman of the Year. His career was rejuvenated as he led his club to the victory in the Superleague. There’s no question he could rank in the top five in scoring among NHL defensemen again.

Status : his great season in Russia guarantees him a spot at the World Cup.

(19) SERGEI GONCHAR, Defenseman, Boston Bruins

World Cup 1996 : 4/2+2=4
Olympics 1998 : 6/0+2=2
Olympics 2002 : 6/0+0=0

Gonchar has led all NHL defensemen in scoring the past 2 years. He also plays above average in his own end, but he has proved in the past that he can be very good if he’s paired with the right partner, which means a defensive minded blueliner … Kasparaitis is the man!!!

Last edited by wilka91: 05-07-2004 at 06:08 PM.
Old
05-07-2004, 10:50 AM
Simagin

vCash: 500
My favourite team would be:

(26 players!!!)

LW:

Kovalchuk
S. Kozlov
Samsonov
Kvasha
Frolov

RW:

Kovalev
Morozov
Afinogenov
V. Bure
Mogilny

C:

Datsyuk
V. Kozlov
Fedorov
Yashin
Zhamnov

D:

Gonchar
Kalinin
A. Markov
B. Mironov
Malakhov
D. Markov
Zubov
Zhitnik

GK:

Khabibulin
Nabokov
Bryzgalov

Old
05-07-2004, 05:31 PM
Markov

Send a message via AIM to Markov
I would be surprised to see Alex Mogilny play in the World Cup. He had a tough season this year in Toronto. He still has not recovered much from the hip surgery. There are rumors that he might also be retiring.

Who knows, maybe Alex might play his last hockey games representing Russia. But that will depend on who is the coach.

Old
05-07-2004, 05:36 PM
wilka91*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markov
I would be surprised to see Alex Mogilny play in the World Cup. He had a tough season this year in Toronto. He still has not recovered much from the hip surgery. There are rumors that he might also be retiring.

Who knows, maybe Alex might play his last hockey games representing Russia. But that will depend on who is the coach.
He certainly won't retire because he's got on year left on his contract with the Leafs. And he's often been injured ... he plays only 60 games a season when he's "healthy", so it's not a factor in my opinion.

But I think he won't play. That's sad.

Old
05-10-2004, 01:57 AM
Slick Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilka91
He certainly won't retire because he's got on year left on his contract with the Leafs. And he's often been injured ... he plays only 60 games a season when he's "healthy", so it's not a factor in my opinion.

But I think he won't play. That's sad.
You think??? He's never going to play for Russia again, he is an American now.

Old
05-10-2004, 04:18 PM
wilka91*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick
You think??? He's never going to play for Russia again, he is an American now.
So is Fedorov, and he still played at the Olympics in 2002.

But since they're both half-Russian half-American they can only play for Russia, that's the international rule.

Mogilny can play, and the reason he's not playing is he doesn't want to. Fetisov asked him to play for him in 2002, but he refused. That proves that Mogilny is till eligible to play on the Russian team.

Old
05-12-2004, 04:49 AM
helicecopter

Quote:
[(9) ILYA KOVALCHUK, Left Wing, Atlanta Thrashers
But the main question is whether he’ll be able to make passes to his teammates and stop shooting the puck from every position ... which wasn't, unfortunately, the case in Salt Lake City.

I couldn't agree more

I would put him on a line with Datsyuk, he seems to trust him enough to pass him the puck sometimes.
Samsonov would be wasted on a line with Kovalchuk because he would never get the puck as in S.L.City. More in general, i think they should keep the best Russian forwards as for transition game out of Kovalchuk line because whenever he gets the puck he just goes down to the other side of the rink to shoot not caring of the situation around him at all. Which means of course that the defenders will just play him and his shot making him less dangerous..
Quote:
[((17) PAVEL BURE, Right Wing, New York Rangers

Olympics 1998 : 6/9+0=9

“The Russian Rocket” is the top goal scorer in the World … when he's playing. He missed the entire 2003-2004 season due to a persistant knee injury. But there have been rumors that he could be ready for the World Cup. And what if?

Status : no, Pavel won’t play. He could be Russia’s GM though.
Really?? Source?
Why then you decided he won't play?
I would love it!

For the record, in Nagano he had at least one assist! I clearly remember that the official stats of the Olympics were wrong reporting one less assist than the ones he got (probably only one; anyway i remember i watched it with my eyes.)

Old
05-12-2004, 05:58 PM
wilka91*

Hey.

Yeah it's better to put Kovalchuk somewhere far, far from the other good players. It was horrible to see him waste so many good plays in Salt Lake, and he also ruined Samsonov's and Fedorov's tournament!!!

I heard about those rumors on Russian online news sites like Gzeta.ru and Sovetsky Sport. But it wasn't a big deal. They were talking about Pavel's chances at becoming Russia's GM for the World Cup, and then Alexei Kasatonov said something like "I've seen playing coaches, but how can we possibly have a playing general manager?" Maybe he was suggesting that Pavel will play ... but I don't know. We'll find out by next month!

Old
05-13-2004, 03:14 AM
Tuggy

Just curious where Korolyuk is on your roster? He has been one of the Sharks best players over the last couple of months. He should easily be there over Morozov.

Old
05-13-2004, 03:38 AM
wilka91*

Everyone is free to speculate on Russia's roster. But Korolyuk is not on MY team.

Old
05-13-2004, 05:23 AM
helicecopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy
Just curious where Korolyuk is on your roster? He has been one of the Sharks best players over the last couple of months. He should easily be there over Morozov.
I agree, i think he should get more consideration and i would choose him ahead of Morozov as well.
I would consider also Brylin and put a little bit higher on the list Viktor Kozlov and Nikolishin.
The lower rankings are important because some of the guys ahead will probably miss the tournament

Old
05-13-2004, 05:29 AM
helicecopter

Quote:
Hey.

Yeah it's better to put Kovalchuk somewhere far, far from the other good players. It was horrible to see him waste so many good plays in Salt Lake, and he also ruined Samsonov's and Fedorov's tournament!!!!

Quote:
I heard about those rumors on Russian online news sites like Gzeta.ru and Sovetsky Sport. But it wasn't a big deal. They were talking about Pavel's chances at becoming Russia's GM for the World Cup, and then Alexei Kasatonov said something like "I've seen playing coaches, but how can we possibly have a playing general manager?" Maybe he was suggesting that Pavel will play ... but I don't know. We'll find out by next month!
C'mon Pavel!!!!!!

In your ranking you look very high on Ovechkin; You really think he is already better than Samsonov, Kovalev, Frolov, Kovalchuk?????? Or you think he will be by September??
How many chances ( in percentage) do you see for him to be selected for the team?

Old
05-13-2004, 12:52 PM
wilka91*

I'm sorry but it's not a ranking :lol

it's just to count the players ... and haven't written anything on defensemen and goalies yet ... this weekend.

Old
05-13-2004, 08:49 PM
MOGiLNY

Send a message via MSN to MOGiLNY
Off the top of my head, and assuming Fedorov does show up, here's what I'd like to see..

Kovalchuk-Fedorov-Zherdev
Samsonov-Zhamnov-Kovalev
Kvasha-Yashin-Afinogenov
Frolov-Datsyuk-Chubarov

B. Mironov-Gonchar
Markov-Malakhov
Volchenkov-Kasparaitis

Khabibulin
Nabokov

Old
05-13-2004, 08:54 PM
MOGiLNY

damn, I really want to throw in Saprykin somewhere in there. he's been excellent with Calgary

Old
05-14-2004, 05:08 AM
ZBORNAJA

Send a message via ICQ to ZBORNAJA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOGiLNY
Off the top of my head, and assuming Fedorov does show up, here's what I'd like to see..

Kovalchuk-Fedorov-Zherdev
Samsonov-Zhamnov-Kovalev
Kvasha-Yashin-Afinogenov
Frolov-Datsyuk-Chubarov

B. Mironov-Gonchar
Markov-Malakhov
Volchenkov-Kasparaitis

Khabibulin
Nabokov
Give DAtsyuk on line with Kovalhuk and Get ovechkin on line with FEdorov ,KVasha out...
B.Mironov and KAsparaitis out,A.Markov and Zubov in...If zubov doesnt want to play then Vishnevski...

Old
05-14-2004, 06:16 AM
wilka91*

My starting team :

Samsonov - Fedorov - Mogilny
V. Bure - Zhamnov - Kovalev
Ovechkin - Datsyuk - Kovalchuk
Frolov - Yashin - Morozov

D. Markov - Tverdovsky
Gonchar - Kasparaitis
Kalinin - Malakhov

Khabibulin
Nabokov

Old
05-14-2004, 07:14 AM
MOGiLNY

The reason why I want Kvasha in there is because first of all he has developed chemistry with Yashin in the Islanders, and second of all, this team needs some size.

As for Ovechkin, sticking Zherdev in there was hard enough for me, but Ovechkin has even less experience.

Old
05-14-2004, 07:37 AM
helicecopter

Quote:
I'm sorry but it's not a ranking :lol.
You know, all is possible around the boards.. fortunately it is not a ranking despite the numbered position... i was just using that eventuality to know one more informed opinion about Ovechkin.

Quote:
... and haven't written anything on defensemen and goalies yet ...
so you have suddenly decided that Tverdovsky and Gonchar are forwards?

Old
05-14-2004, 01:21 PM
wilka91*

Please stop! :lol

I started writing, but didn't have ANY time to finish this off

Old
05-14-2004, 04:04 PM
helicecopter

Quote:
Please stop! :lol
I was joking, but why stop it if you are enjoying it that way!...
Quote:
I started writing, but didn't have ANY time to finish this off
you registered in May, got already 90 posts and not slowing down the pace at all.... very busy i guess!

Old
05-15-2004, 08:19 AM
wilka91*

Quote:
Originally Posted by helicecopter

you registered in May, got already 90 posts and not slowing down the pace at all.... very busy i guess!
And the worst part is that I'm also registered on about 5 other forums, and I have much more than just 90 posts :

allducks.com : 1300
letsgowings : 900
RAH : 6000
unreal : 1300
some others : around 500

not bad huh?

Old
05-19-2004, 09:42 AM
Kharitonov

Quote:
My starting team :

D. Markov - Tverdovsky
Gonchar - Kasparaitis
Kalinin - Malakhov

Khabibulin
Nabokov

So why you pick always NHL Players to your Team?
I think there are to much "Divas" and no "workers" an no europeanrussians in it.
So what about the other russians like Petrov,Bashkirov,Selivanov,Suchinski,Prokopiev,Kov alenko,Kharitonov for example???

Old
05-19-2004, 10:37 AM
ZBORNAJA

Send a message via ICQ to ZBORNAJA
Quote:
My starting team :

D. Markov - Tverdovsky
Gonchar - Kasparaitis
Kalinin - Malakhov

Khabibulin
Nabokov
MY team(fantasy ,because ALmo ,Zubov,Zherdev and Zhitnik wont play almost 100%,and many others are also questionable)
VOlchenkov,Zubov,Zhitnik and A.MArkov in ...Kasparaitis and Tverdovsky out
Yashin,morozov and v.Bure out ...Korolyuk,Kovalenko and Zherdev

Old
05-19-2004, 04:33 PM
Class A

Can Nabokov play for Russia at the World Cup? Just wondering because he isn't allowed to play for Russia in any IIHF tournament. He wasn't able to play for them at the Olympics and he isn't able to play with them at the Worlds.

Closed Thread