HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Congratulations Kovalchuk!

Old
04-17-2010, 05:18 PM
Muttley*
Zach=2 games left

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
two secondary assists and the empty-netter
For what it's worth, his first point of the game was a primary assist on the White a goal, the most suprising goal of the series, a goal that ensured that Brian Boucher will most likely no longer be in our heads for the rest of this series.

And as much as I'd like to see him score a goal, I'm still happy with a secondary assist on a PP goal, where he handled the puck twice, straddling the line, looking like an actual PP quarterback, like he did last night on the Andy Greene PP goal.

But let's take it one game at a time.

Muttley* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2010, 05:20 PM
Basement Cat
RIP Loko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muttley View Post
For what it's worth, his first point of the game was a primary assist on the White a goal, the most suprising goal of the series, a goal that ensured that Brian Boucher will most likely no longer be in our heads for the rest of this series.

And as much as I'd like to see him score a goal, I'm still happy with a secondary assist on a PP goal, like he did last night on the Andy Greene PP goal.

All
He actually did a really good job of walking the blue line and getting it to Elias on the Greene goal.

Basement Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2010, 05:22 PM
Muttley*
Zach=2 games left

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basement Cat View Post
He actually did a really good job of walking the blue line and getting it to Elias on the Greene goal.
yep, i just update my post just as you posted.

Muttley* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2010, 05:23 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
I think he did more to earn his secondary assist than he did the primary. For the primary, he just gave the puck to White, who flipped it on net and was lucky enough to have Boucher misplay it.

For the secondary, Kovalchuk and Elias played catch for a little, and then Kovy brought the puck to the high slot, causing both forward PKers to cheat to him, creating a lane for Elias to pass to Greene creeping into the slot. He then got a quick pass over to Elias, and Elias did the rest. The reason why that goal happened was because the Philly PKers respected the threat of Kovy in the high slot with a shooting lane, and left everyone else open as a result.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2010, 05:24 PM
kyle evs48
No words needed

just wait til you see him in game 3.

kyle evs48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2010, 05:26 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
I'm hoping that he will bust out now that we are scoring on Boucher. Last night's 3 point performance was great.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2010, 06:43 PM
DevilsFan38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose Huckabee View Post
With the winless monkey off his back and a three point game under his belt I think his negatives will becomes less and less glaring. He doesn't need to worry about the personal embarrassment of another four and done - he's officially part of a team seriously contending for the cup, and as the playoffs go on he'll only get better and better and help this team more and more. He can stop gripping his stick so tight, and when his goals come the floodgates will open wide. Throw that on a Jennings-winning team and you have a recipe for large quantities of win.
I agree, I think getting this first win under his belt is key. Except for the stupid penalties I really liked his game yesterday, hopefully tomorrow he can settle down just a touch but keep playing with the same fire (though I have to admit, that was a pretty nice headlock and takedown he had on Powe).

DevilsFan38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2010, 07:03 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenwo2 View Post
2.) So because Kovy doesn't shoot more, that means he has to be injured? How about a better explanation in that he's actually PASSING the puck to other teammates for better shots instead of trying to be the whole *** show like he had to be in Atlanta???
It's not like he doesn't shoot, he gets shots on goal...it's just that every single one of them has been the wrist shot, he's had opportunities to let it rip with a slapshot or a one-timer and hasn't. The last semi-slapshot I remember was when he hit Pronger in the head late March. We're not talking about someone with a Mike Mottau slapshot either.

As far as the 'meh' three points I meant to put it felt surprisingly meh considering it was a three-point performance. I actually thought he played better in Game 1 when he had no points.

NJDevs26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2010, 10:43 PM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

LOL@KOVY :

Quote:
“I think everybody is very emotional,” Kovalchuk said. “That gives me a lot of energy when I jump (into the play) and I try to finish checks with the puck and set up the guys, backcheck and everything. We have to do all of that to be successful. Yes, today I took a couple of (bad penalties), especially the third penalty (with Powe). Maybe I should stay away from it. But we won the game, so who cares?”

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/f...natlies_corre/

glenwo2 is offline   Reply With Quote