HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

just curious

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-04-2004, 06:56 PM
  #1
Bloody Sabbath
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Toronto, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,263
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Bloody Sabbath
just curious

philly fans, i was just wondering this. in popularity, where do the flyers rank among the other philadelphia teams? the philles, eagles and sixers.

Bloody Sabbath is offline  
Old
05-04-2004, 07:22 PM
  #2
Dr Love
Registered User
 
Dr Love's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Location, Location!
Posts: 20,378
vCash: 500
Right now 2nd behind the Eagles. The Eagles will always be #1.

Dr Love is offline  
Old
05-04-2004, 07:29 PM
  #3
Bloody Sabbath
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Toronto, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,263
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Bloody Sabbath
it's a shame that hockey is a such a small market business in most of the states. it should get exposed more. how can the whole country watch a 3 hour baseball game and stay awake, and not sit through a 2 1/2 hour action packed hockey game?

Bloody Sabbath is offline  
Old
05-04-2004, 07:36 PM
  #4
slapshotflyer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 439
vCash: 500
I wonder that with hockey in England. It's as close a sport as possible to the national sport of "soccer" yet it's hardly covered. The English suck though

slapshotflyer is offline  
Old
05-04-2004, 07:45 PM
  #5
Green Mile
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Philly
Posts: 98
vCash: 500
Eskin was talking about this today on the show... claiming that Flyers are 4th (year-round wise)... saying that even right now, the Phillies rival the Flyers in TV ratings. When the Sixers are doing bad, no one cares... but when they are rollin', they create lots of buzz. Sometimes I think the fans have been smitten so much by the Flyers that there isn't as much confidence.

So yeah, maybe 3rd or 4th, imo.

Green Mile is offline  
Old
05-04-2004, 09:11 PM
  #6
Brad*
 
Join Date: May 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 13,887
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Mile
Eskin was talking about this today on the show... claiming that Flyers are 4th (year-round wise)... saying that even right now, the Phillies rival the Flyers in TV ratings. When the Sixers are doing bad, no one cares... but when they are rollin', they create lots of buzz. Sometimes I think the fans have been smitten so much by the Flyers that there isn't as much confidence.

So yeah, maybe 3rd or 4th, imo.
Eskin is also a moron. TV ratings don't mean as much as sheer excitement does.

The Eagles have always been, and probably always will be number one, but the Flyers are definitely second.

The Phillies fans are mostly bandwagoners anyway, and the Sixers having become a complete joke.

Brad* is offline  
Old
05-04-2004, 10:05 PM
  #7
Toonces
The beer kitty
 
Toonces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New Jersey
Country: Ireland
Posts: 3,679
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love
Right now 2nd behind the Eagles. The Eagles will always be #1.
What he said.

Philadelphia IS a Hockey town, but first and foremost it's the Eagles. Both teams have very hardcore diehard fan bases.

Toonces is offline  
Old
05-04-2004, 10:22 PM
  #8
FlyersGuy69
Registered User
 
FlyersGuy69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: purgatory
Country: United States
Posts: 8,840
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyersGuy69
I would say it's like this.

1) Eagles
-
-
-
2) Flyers
3) Phillies
4) Sixers

IMO, the fans of the Flyers, Phillies and Sixers are bandwagonish. it does not matter how good or bad the Eagles are playing. they are #1 period. after that it's up for grabs. if the Flyers were one and done and the Phillies were playing better then it would be the Phillies in 2nd place. when the Sixers were making a run to the Finals, they were the 2nd favorite team in the city. so it depends on how the "other" 3 teams play that determines were they fall in popularity in this area. IMO.

FlyersGuy69 is offline  
Old
05-04-2004, 10:47 PM
  #9
Poikilitic
Registered User
 
Poikilitic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 3,497
vCash: 500
All I can tell you is that here in Toronto, Hockey is #1. I mean Raptors..... :lol
Jays...even more :lol
Except maybe Lacross, but....well you know

Poikilitic is offline  
Old
05-04-2004, 10:48 PM
  #10
CatWrt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonces
What he said.

Philadelphia IS a Hockey town, but first and foremost it's the Eagles. Both teams have very hardcore diehard fan bases.

Philly is not at all a hockey town. Football/Eagles is far and away number one, then Phillies, Sixers, and Flyers. There is most definitely a hard core group of "Flyer" fans, and within that a much smaller group of hockey fans; but it still only amounts to the number 4 sport in this town. And I don't believe it has anything to do with success or lack thereof by the Flyers over the past 25 years. There are enough of the Flyer diehards around to keep things interesting but interest in the team and sport falls off a cliff outside of that circle. The difference is simply that the other sports have a more widespread base of people with more than a passing interest.

CatWrt is offline  
Old
05-04-2004, 10:49 PM
  #11
FlyersGuy69
Registered User
 
FlyersGuy69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: purgatory
Country: United States
Posts: 8,840
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyersGuy69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulcrum
All I can tell you is that here in Toronto, Hockey is #1. I mean Raptors..... :lol
Jays...even more :lol
Except maybe Lacross, but....well you know
lol, I would have thought it would be the Blue Jays for sure.

FlyersGuy69 is offline  
Old
05-04-2004, 11:57 PM
  #12
Rex88
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 1,112
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatWrt
Philly is not at all a hockey town. Football/Eagles is far and away number one, then Phillies, Sixers, and Flyers. There is most definitely a hard core group of "Flyer" fans, and within that a much smaller group of hockey fans; but it still only amounts to the number 4 sport in this town. And I don't believe it has anything to do with success or lack thereof by the Flyers over the past 25 years. There are enough of the Flyer diehards around to keep things interesting but interest in the team and sport falls off a cliff outside of that circle. The difference is simply that the other sports have a more widespread base of people with more than a passing interest.
I think you are wrong - as most posters agree it is Eagles then Flyers and then whatever is hot.
How long have you been in Philly to base that opinion?
The current order was not so in the late 70 and early 80's as hockey was at least equal in Philly when I was growing up and may have been ahead of football.

Rex88 is offline  
Old
05-05-2004, 12:01 AM
  #13
attis76
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 162
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersGuy69
lol, I would have thought it would be the Blue Jays for sure.
================================================== ===========
Hey man,just how old is your avatar?

attis76 is offline  
Old
05-05-2004, 08:27 AM
  #14
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 116,368
vCash: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersPhantoms33
Eskin is also a moron. TV ratings don't mean as much as sheer excitement does.

The Eagles have always been, and probably always will be number one, but the Flyers are definitely second.

The Phillies fans are mostly bandwagoners anyway, and the Sixers having become a complete joke.

He's right though. If the Sixers are rolling, they are definetaly the #2 team. Although, most of the time the buzz is created by bandwagoners of every team besides the Eagles. Usually the only time they talk Flyers is when there is something to complain about.

__________________
Philadelphia's Real Alternative
(ynotradio.net)

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline  
Old
05-05-2004, 09:04 AM
  #15
CatWrt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex88
I think you are wrong - as most posters agree it is Eagles then Flyers and then whatever is hot.
How long have you been in Philly to base that opinion?
The current order was not so in the late 70 and early 80's as hockey was at least equal in Philly when I was growing up and may have been ahead of football.
If the question is who are the most rabid fans, or most committed, or whatever, then yes, the Flyers are #2. But the question was general popularity, so I still believe hockey is solidly 4. I have been here 35 years.....just my take....

CatWrt is offline  
Old
05-05-2004, 09:07 AM
  #16
Rex88
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 1,112
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatWrt
If the question is who are the most rabid fans, or most committed, or whatever, then yes, the Flyers are #2. But the question was general popularity, so I still believe hockey is solidly 4. I have been here 35 years.....just my take....
Fair enough, good to see another old timer as well.

Rex88 is offline  
Old
05-05-2004, 05:32 PM
  #17
FlyHigh
Registered User
 
FlyHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,156
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Some bandwagoner fans are just incredibly stupid. I was talking to this one guy at school and I said, "I hope Esche doesn't pull a Boucher." and he said. "Who's Boucher?" And this is the guy that can afford JR and Zhamnov jerseys all the time when I have to save to just get one.

Even a lot of the Flyers fans I know don't know that much about other NHL teams. I talked to one guy and he was like, "How is Calgary in the WCF with Turek?" Ah well, hockey will always have a niche in Philadelphia.

FlyHigh is offline  
Old
05-05-2004, 06:55 PM
  #18
Toonces
The beer kitty
 
Toonces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New Jersey
Country: Ireland
Posts: 3,679
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatWrt
If the question is who are the most rabid fans, or most committed, or whatever, then yes, the Flyers are #2. But the question was general popularity, so I still believe hockey is solidly 4. I have been here 35 years.....just my take....
I thought I was clar that Football is first, and Hockey second. If you want to call it a Football town, ok, but Philly bleeds Orange and Black.

Now I don't have 35 years to back my statements up, only the 12 years my brother lived there, as well as an alful lot of ice time I logged in the area.

Toonces is offline  
Old
05-05-2004, 07:40 PM
  #19
User571
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Between the Pipes
Posts: 926
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to User571
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh
Some bandwagoner fans are just incredibly stupid. I was talking to this one guy at school and I said, "I hope Esche doesn't pull a Boucher." and he said. "Who's Boucher?" And this is the guy that can afford JR and Zhamnov jerseys all the time when I have to save to just get one.

Even a lot of the Flyers fans I know don't know that much about other NHL teams. I talked to one guy and he was like, "How is Calgary in the WCF with Turek?" Ah well, hockey will always have a niche in Philadelphia.
Miikka Kipprusoff is Calgary's goalie. He is the reason Calgary is there.

User571 is offline  
Old
05-05-2004, 08:23 PM
  #20
FlyHigh
Registered User
 
FlyHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,156
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurminen31
Miikka Kipprusoff is Calgary's goalie. He is the reason Calgary is there.
I know that, that comment was meant to demonstrate the guy's utter and complete ignorance and to show that he was a bandwagoner, don't worry, I know what Kipper has done.

FlyHigh is offline  
Old
05-06-2004, 11:49 PM
  #21
Gert B Frobe
Registered User
 
Gert B Frobe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: SE PA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,635
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatWrt
If the question is who are the most rabid fans, or most committed, or whatever, then yes, the Flyers are #2. But the question was general popularity, so I still believe hockey is solidly 4. I have been here 35 years.....just my take....
Hockey doesn't draw much TV ratings in the states. People watch the Flyers on Comcast here in Philly but nationally - forget it. ESPN broadcast some of the Flyers-Leafs series and I guarantee they get just as many viewers for "The World's Strongest Man" competitions. Or the PBA tour... Flyers fans are very loyal and will always watch/buy tickets, but there's not enough of them to drive TV ratings.

That will improve once all cable/dish access is high definition and high-def TVs are more affordable. MUCH better to watch on high definition - so much easier to see the play develop, etc...

Gert B Frobe is offline  
Old
05-07-2004, 05:07 AM
  #22
The Seeker 25
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Hockey Falls, PA
Posts: 1,893
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to The Seeker 25
There has been mention of "bandwagon mentality" concerning the Flyers, and that is absolutely true. I was excited when the season started and tried to talk to my co-workers about the upcoming season. I was very surprised to hear quite a few of them say "Well, hockey is losing so much interest.....I'm not really interested myself". So I went about the season talking about hockey with my friends and that was that.

Fast forward to the present, now all of those same people at work are talking Flyers.....not hockey, because with Wayne Gretzky retired and them not being sure if Mario is still playing or not, they couldn't name one other player from another NHL team. But they're talking Flyers, and they have easy access to free tickets. Ticks me off.....I can't even find any to buy! Oh well, that's another story in and of itself.

What gripes me so much is how easily people are swayed and influenced by the media. During that time at the beginning of the season when my co-workers told me they weren't interested in hockey because "Hockey was losing so much interest", I saw reports on ESPN a few days before those conversations saying the same thing. Why, if ESPN decides to totally ignore the NHL (except for token coverage up until the later rounds of the playoffs) and say nobody cares about hockey do so many people have to change the way they think? It's the same mindset with MTV.....if they say it's popular, the kiddies are gonna buy it in droves. And it's the same way in Philly...there are people who know 99.99% of what the hosts say is garbage, then you have the majority of area fans who are like tape recorders. If Howard Eskin says hockey is #4, then by God it's #4 in their eyes, too.

It's a shame that it has to be this way, but I kinda like it. The way people are, I'd much rather have our core group of true fans and ignore the bandwagonners, much like the way they obey ESPN and ignore the NHL.

The Seeker 25 is offline  
Old
05-07-2004, 08:32 AM
  #23
Dykhuis26
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: So. Cal
Posts: 607
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatWrt
Philly is not at all a hockey town. Football/Eagles is far and away number one, then Phillies, Sixers, and Flyers. There is most definitely a hard core group of "Flyer" fans, and within that a much smaller group of hockey fans; but it still only amounts to the number 4 sport in this town. And I don't believe it has anything to do with success or lack thereof by the Flyers over the past 25 years. There are enough of the Flyer diehards around to keep things interesting but interest in the team and sport falls off a cliff outside of that circle. The difference is simply that the other sports have a more widespread base of people with more than a passing interest.
Are you kidding me? How can Philly not be a hockey town when their minor league team far and away leads the AHL in attendance every year? We're a blue collar city whose personality fits the sport perfectly.

Dykhuis26 is offline  
Old
05-07-2004, 08:59 AM
  #24
CatWrt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dykhuis26
Are you kidding me? How can Philly not be a hockey town when their minor league team far and away leads the AHL in attendance every year? We're a blue collar city whose personality fits the sport perfectly.
Spend some time in another city that is a hockey town. Then tell me what you think about Philly.

CatWrt is offline  
Old
05-07-2004, 09:46 AM
  #25
Cuiff
Registered User
 
Cuiff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Horsham (Philly)
Country: Italy
Posts: 2,451
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatWrt
Spend some time in another city that is a hockey town. Then tell me what you think about Philly.

I have and I can tell you Philly is a strong hockey town. Maby not as strong as Tor or Mon but still stronger than most of the US markets.


Last edited by Cuiff: 05-07-2004 at 09:50 AM.
Cuiff is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:48 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.