HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Perezhogin banned for 1 year

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-07-2004, 11:13 AM
  #26
OV
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Niagara Falls
Country: Canada
Posts: 608
vCash: 500
The police and courts may ultimately do the job that the AHL didn't, as a criminal record would adversely affect the ability of Perezhogin to cross borders.

OV is offline  
Old
05-07-2004, 11:45 AM
  #27
Stock Rocks
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Billerica, Mass.
Posts: 3,947
vCash: 500
I find the hypocrisy of some (not all) Montreal fans utterly revolting.

These were the same people who screamed incessantly over the Kyle McLaren hit on Richard Zednik, insisting on the "fact" that it was premeditated and yadda-yadda-yadda.

They are now shamelessly defending one of their own and it disgusts me. I hope these idiots (none of whom have posted on this thread) stay on their board and don't pollute ours with their BS rhetoric.

Stock Rocks is offline  
Old
05-07-2004, 11:49 AM
  #28
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
It's hard to detach yourself from being a fan in a case like this. From all accounts I've read including a Hamilton broadcaster and Doug Jarvis, a pretty well respected guy, this is totally out of character for this kid. Personally, I think he got caught up in an intensity level he'd never dealt with before and you all saw the results. I was hoping that he'd get about25-35 games but understand that if hockey wants the courts out of their industry, they have some cleaning up to do. My hope was that the kids' career wouldn't be ruined by the one incident, and I still hope that's the case.

mcphee is offline  
Old
05-07-2004, 11:55 AM
  #29
wensink
Registered User
 
wensink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,880
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
My hope was that the kids' career wouldn't be ruined by the one incident, and I still hope that's the case.
He's had a clean record so far. And from all that I've read about him...he's not a terrible person.

This is certainly a black mark but it shouldn't hamper his career. My guess is that he will not be able to do something like this ever again....but what are the chances? I bet he learned a great lesson from this.

Look at Billy Tibbetts (of course...he hampered his own career). But it's amazing how the GM's will give you a pass if you have the right skills.

wensink is offline  
Old
05-07-2004, 11:56 AM
  #30
Stock Rocks
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Billerica, Mass.
Posts: 3,947
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
It's hard to detach yourself from being a fan in a case like this. From all accounts I've read including a Hamilton broadcaster and Doug Jarvis, a pretty well respected guy, this is totally out of character for this kid. Personally, I think he got caught up in an intensity level he'd never dealt with before and you all saw the results. I was hoping that he'd get about25-35 games but understand that if hockey wants the courts out of their industry, they have some cleaning up to do. My hope was that the kids' career wouldn't be ruined by the one incident, and I still hope that's the case.
Perhaps.

But, fan or not, the act was inexcusable nonetheless.

We were insulted and reviled by Habs fans who insisted that McLaren practically deserved the electric chair for what he did. These same people ASSumed that McLaren was guilty based on what they saw on video. Now, Perezhogin is innocent because of what they saw on video (ie- the most ludicrous one I've heard is "Stafford was falling down, so Perez didn't mean to catch him in the face...yeah, RIIIIGHT!)

Now that the shoe is on the other foot, it isn't fair? Oh, cry me a river!

What ever happened to accountability? Perezhogin did the crime. He should do the time. And shame on Bob Gainey if he doesn't honor the suspension.

Stock Rocks is offline  
Old
05-07-2004, 12:10 PM
  #31
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stock Rocks
Perhaps.

But, fan or not, the act was inexcusable nonetheless.

We were insulted and reviled by Habs fans who insisted that McLaren practically deserved the electric chair for what he did. These same people ASSumed that McLaren was guilty based on what they saw on video. Now, Perezhogin is innocent because of what they saw on video (ie- the most ludicrous one I've heard is "Stafford was falling down, so Perez didn't mean to catch him in the face...yeah, RIIIIGHT!)

Now that the shoe is on the other foot, it isn't fair? Oh, cry me a river!

What ever happened to accountability? Perezhogin did the crime. He should do the time. And shame on Bob Gainey if he doesn't honor the suspension.
I think a lot of fan rhetoric should be excused as just that. I won't argue that any team [esp. my own] is worse than another. I think that you can evaluate avg. age and number of posters and draw conclusions. I mentionned on our own board how personal responsibilty has to apply and for that reason, while I think it's a severe penalty, I won't be whining too loudly. There are a number of people in hockey that I believe tend to do what's right for that reason alone. I consider Gainey and Dryden to be part of that group and for that reason would be shocked if he exploited loopholes. The appeal process is a different story, but we'll have to wait and see.

I never wanted Mclaren electrocuted. I wa sin favor of 30 days of cold water enemas.

mcphee is offline  
Old
05-07-2004, 12:21 PM
  #32
neelynugs
Registered User
 
neelynugs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Vote Quimby!
Posts: 30,021
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stock Rocks
Perhaps.

But, fan or not, the act was inexcusable nonetheless.

We were insulted and reviled by Habs fans who insisted that McLaren practically deserved the electric chair for what he did. These same people ASSumed that McLaren was guilty based on what they saw on video. Now, Perezhogin is innocent because of what they saw on video (ie- the most ludicrous one I've heard is "Stafford was falling down, so Perez didn't mean to catch him in the face...yeah, RIIIIGHT!)

Now that the shoe is on the other foot, it isn't fair? Oh, cry me a river!

What ever happened to accountability? Perezhogin did the crime. He should do the time. And shame on Bob Gainey if he doesn't honor the suspension.
to this day, i still argue that mclaren's hit was cleaner than most people think. it was zednik himself that caused the problem...mac was in position for the hit, and zednik zigged into the elbow. either way, kyle was never a cheapshotter, and the montreal fans were absurd with their calls for his head.

as for pereererzrerearareazogin, if you crack a guy in the face with your stick, you should pay dearly. all i can say is, "see ya", and hope he learns

neelynugs is offline  
Old
05-07-2004, 03:44 PM
  #33
Bruin_Ron
Registered User
 
Bruin_Ron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,008
vCash: 500
A year seems accurate to me. In hockey terms, that's a while

Bruin_Ron is offline  
Old
05-07-2004, 06:17 PM
  #34
DKH
Registered User
 
DKH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 32,374
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by wensink
I'd have to think the track record is definitely taken into account here.

I find it ironic that we're still hearing about McLaren, yet there are some that think Perezhogin should have gotten off with nothing.

hmmmm
McLaren was just a reaction to getting turned inside out; Perezhogin was a reaction to almost getting beheaded himself- but you can't do what he did. Perezhogin got swung at first and if he was hit there would have been no retaliation because he'd have been on the ice himself. He had no idea imo that where he was swinging his stick was going to end up in the face. BUT it still is unacceptable and a stiff suspension of atleast half the season should have been levied AFTER the condition of the Stafford was taken into account as not life or career threatening. If either of those came into play then its over as far as I'm concerned. You shoot a gun in a crowd and hit a wall your going to get less if you hit someone in the league or cripple or kill someone. Perezhogin should not have gotten that much as long his opponent would recover. Perezhogin did not hunt him down and swing at his head- it was a reaction, a bad one and he and others obviously need to learn from that. He should thank his lucky stars he didn't kill him or cause serious brain damage. I think a year is to much...it should have been 40 games and apply for reinstatement.

DKH is offline  
Old
05-07-2004, 06:22 PM
  #35
DKH
Registered User
 
DKH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 32,374
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by neelynugs
to this day, i still argue that mclaren's hit was cleaner than most people think. it was zednik himself that caused the problem...mac was in position for the hit, and zednik zigged into the elbow. either way, kyle was never a cheapshotter, and the montreal fans were absurd with their calls for his head.

as for pereererzrerearareazogin, if you crack a guy in the face with your stick, you should pay dearly. all i can say is, "see ya", and hope he learns
gotta tell you that McLaren filled with sodium penathol and hand on a Bible infront of Saint Peter would swear imo that it was an accident and a reaction to Zednik making a great move. I am not sticking up for the Bruins, McLaren, against Zednik or the Habs- people have to understand including all Hab fans. I even agree with many of the Hab posters the Perezhogin ban is way to long factoring in #1 the recovery of his opponent; the players track record, the events leading up; it was not premeditated.

DKH is offline  
Old
05-07-2004, 06:31 PM
  #36
Corey
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,300
vCash: 500
I set aside my partisanship, so although I think the AHL's penalty may seem harsh in view of Perezhogin's otherwise clean record and the fact that his action wasn't premeditated like Bertuzzi's, that's it. He should not play in the NHL next season and it would be out of the question for Gainey to bring him up. Besides, I doubt whether the NHL would allow it. Speaking of Bertuzzi, his action was premeditated and he has a record of suspensions. I think he should also be punished severely.

Corey is offline  
Old
05-07-2004, 06:35 PM
  #37
WBC8
Registered User
 
WBC8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Game time, baby
Country: United States
Posts: 39,486
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Stafford got off here. He deserved just as long a suspension as Perezhogin.

WBC8 is offline  
Old
05-07-2004, 06:54 PM
  #38
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson
 
BMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Northeastern CT
Country: United States
Posts: 23,528
vCash: 500
I don't have any problem with the length of Perezhogin's suspension at all. In fact I give the AHL much credit for stepping up and actually trying to do something about this stick swinging crap.
I know Perezhogin's suspension is far longer than Bertuzzi's but it is not the AHL's fault that the NHL failed to harshly discipline a player who clearly deserved it.
Finally, I am in OV's corner- I do not think anything will be done to put an end to crap like this until a player is killed, suffers permanent disability or lapses into an irreversible coma. Then and only then IMO will we see a real effort to eliminate stick swinging incidents.

BMC is offline  
Old
05-07-2004, 09:01 PM
  #39
Tuggy
Registered User
 
Tuggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Saint John
Country: Canada
Posts: 31,025
vCash: 1484
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH
McLaren was just a reaction to getting turned inside out; Perezhogin was a reaction to almost getting beheaded himself- but you can't do what he did. Perezhogin got swung at first and if he was hit there would have been no retaliation because he'd have been on the ice himself. He had no idea imo that where he was swinging his stick was going to end up in the face. BUT it still is unacceptable and a stiff suspension of atleast half the season should have been levied AFTER the condition of the Stafford was taken into account as not life or career threatening. If either of those came into play then its over as far as I'm concerned. You shoot a gun in a crowd and hit a wall your going to get less if you hit someone in the league or cripple or kill someone. Perezhogin should not have gotten that much as long his opponent would recover. Perezhogin did not hunt him down and swing at his head- it was a reaction, a bad one and he and others obviously need to learn from that. He should thank his lucky stars he didn't kill him or cause serious brain damage. I think a year is to much...it should have been 40 games and apply for reinstatement.
I like the way you have assessed the situation and I think you have described the exact way I feel about this incident.

Tuggy is offline  
Old
05-07-2004, 10:34 PM
  #40
bb_fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: boston
Posts: 9,949
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stock Rocks
Perhaps.

But, fan or not, the act was inexcusable nonetheless.

We were insulted and reviled by Habs fans who insisted that McLaren practically deserved the electric chair for what he did. These same people ASSumed that McLaren was guilty based on what they saw on video. Now, Perezhogin is innocent because of what they saw on video (ie- the most ludicrous one I've heard is "Stafford was falling down, so Perez didn't mean to catch him in the face...yeah, RIIIIGHT!)

Now that the shoe is on the other foot, it isn't fair? Oh, cry me a river!

What ever happened to accountability? Perezhogin did the crime. He should do the time. And shame on Bob Gainey if he doesn't honor the suspension.

exactly, I am so sick of these hipocrits that are defending this, yet Joe touches a hab and they want a suspension, and as u said. the Mclaren incident as well.

yet they still find a way to justify this, and the atttempt to shift the blame to stafford is pathetic.


bb_fan is offline  
Old
05-07-2004, 11:23 PM
  #41
Natural Habs Fan
Registered User
 
Natural Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,083
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by neelynugs
to this day, i still argue that mclaren's hit was cleaner than most people think. it was zednik himself that caused the problem...mac was in position for the hit, and zednik zigged into the elbow. either way, kyle was never a cheapshotter, and the montreal fans were absurd with their calls for his head.

as for pereererzrerearareazogin, if you crack a guy in the face with your stick, you should pay dearly. all i can say is, "see ya", and hope he learns

Natural Habs Fan is offline  
Old
05-07-2004, 11:24 PM
  #42
tnq
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 331
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8
Stafford got off here. He deserved just as long a suspension as Perezhogin.
yep that guy needs to be punished as well. I think as many people here, if you got hit, by reflexion, you try to hit back.

tnq is offline  
Old
05-07-2004, 11:46 PM
  #43
Amen evil king
Amen, Evil King
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 3,436
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnq
yep that guy needs to be punished as well. I think as many people here, if you got hit, by reflexion, you try to hit back.
He did get punished, he got a stick in the face, a concussion and a 6 game suspension.. You go find Stafford and tell him he got off lightly. 6 games is quite a lengthy suspension considering he didn't even hit Perezhogin, I wouldn't be surprised if it was the biggest ever just for intent.

Amen evil king is online now  
Old
05-07-2004, 11:54 PM
  #44
Traitor8
Registered User
 
Traitor8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Iraq
Posts: 4,921
vCash: 500
For this question:
Can he play in the NHL?

Answer:
YES


He can play in the NHL...according to RDS, Nik Kypreos and Bob McKenzie

Traitor8 is offline  
Old
05-08-2004, 12:06 AM
  #45
jcpenny
Registered User
 
jcpenny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,878
vCash: 500
Habs fan here...

I have no problem with Perezhogin's suspension and it is accurate. However, i do have problem with two things. First, Stafford only getting 6 games for starting the whole mess, i guess they felt sorry for the guy. The other thing is the police getting involved in the case where they have no buisness. I wont get into the Hockey is a "game" stuff but if someone should be investigate it sould be Stafford. We all know that in life we punish instigators more severly than retaliators. He got off a tad too easy for me. It shows that if u miss your attempt to injure you're O.K. Bad way to handle things by the AHL.

jcpenny is offline  
Old
05-08-2004, 01:01 AM
  #46
nikrag03*
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: India
Posts: 512
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to nikrag03*
Quote:
Originally Posted by neelynugs
to this day, i still argue that mclaren's hit was cleaner than most people think. it was zednik himself that caused the problem...mac was in position for the hit, and zednik zigged into the elbow. either way, kyle was never a cheapshotter, and the montreal fans were absurd with their calls for his head.

as for pereererzrerearareazogin, if you crack a guy in the face with your stick, you should pay dearly. all i can say is, "see ya", and hope he learns
ur a funny guy..

nikrag03* is offline  
Old
05-08-2004, 01:36 AM
  #47
misterjaggers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: The Duke City
Country: United States
Posts: 14,281
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komisarek8
For this question:
Can he play in the NHL?

Answer:
YES


He can play in the NHL...according to RDS, Nik Kypreos and Bob McKenzie
That's not what McKenzie says. He speculates that there might be a slim chance of playing in the NHL, but that would be a public relations disaster for the NHL so forget it. McKenzie speculates that his best chance to play will be in Russia.

misterjaggers is offline  
Old
05-08-2004, 11:52 AM
  #48
Traitor8
Registered User
 
Traitor8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Iraq
Posts: 4,921
vCash: 500
It's not in the CBA.

Gainey and the Habs can take them to court for not allowing him to play if they really wanted too.

Traitor8 is offline  
Old
05-08-2004, 01:35 PM
  #49
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson
 
BMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Northeastern CT
Country: United States
Posts: 23,528
vCash: 500
And if they do as misterjaggers pointed out it will be a public relations disaster, not only for the NHL but for the Montreal Canadiens.
It would be better for the league, the team & most importantly Perezhogin himself if he didn't play with the big club next season (whenever that might be). He would be the focus of intense media scrutiny (not just in Montreal either) and be constantly reminded of what he did to earn that suspension. No way would he be allowed to move on and develop his talent & skills which could derail his hockey career for good.

BMC is offline  
Old
05-08-2004, 01:45 PM
  #50
WBC8
Registered User
 
WBC8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Game time, baby
Country: United States
Posts: 39,486
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to WBC8
I'm still having a hard time understanding the huge difference in the two suspensions.

It's kind of like the AHL saying, You'll get a slap on the wrist if you shoot a gun at somebody and miss, but if you shoot at him and hit him, BOOM. IMO whether you hit or miss, the same exact intention was there.....

WBC8 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:41 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.