HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Germany at the 2010 World Championship

Closed Thread

Old
05-12-2010, 11:22 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

vCash: 500
I really hope that Endras will play all the Games that we will have. He is our starter and it really looks like the Team in front of him has confidence in him. and 2 starts... 2 wins

Last edited by Bubba88: 05-12-2010 at 11:28 AM.
Old
05-12-2010, 12:02 PM
ts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
I really hope that Endras will play all the Games that we will have. He is our starter and it really looks like the Team in front of him has confidence in him. and 2 starts... 2 wins
I don't see it, Krupp will give him a rest in the upcoming games, I think Kotschnew will start vs. BEL or vs. RUS.

Old
05-12-2010, 12:25 PM
Maverick41

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts View Post
I don't see it, Krupp will give him a rest in the upcoming games, I think Kotschnew will start vs. BEL or vs. RUS.
Same here. Depending on the schedule Kotschnew will get one of those games.

I'm very happy with the whole team, but with our D in particular. And if it hadn't bin for injuries or illness there is a good chance that Bakos and/or Schmidt would have been on the roster. Sometimes the important decisions are made by fate.

Old
05-12-2010, 12:28 PM
Wings4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts View Post
I agree, this seems like Krupp's style.

It would be very wise to let Kotschnew start against Russia. Germany is not winning that game in all probability, and Krupp will not want to let Endras' confidence be shattered by a team full of elite snipers (especially now that Datsyuk has arrived).

Endras could very well pot 2 more wins next week against Slovakia and Belarus.

PS: I LOVE this team Germany! They are playing with a real hunger now. Is Ehroff going to be joining the team anytime soon?

Old
05-12-2010, 12:30 PM
Maverick41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings4Life View Post
I agree, this seems like Krupp's style.

It would be very wise to let Kotschnew start against Russia. Germany is not winning that game in all probability, and Krupp will not want to let Endras' confidence be shattered by a team full of elite snipers (especially now that Datsyuk has arrived).

Endras could very well pot 2 more wins next week against Slovakia and Belarus.

PS: I LOVE this team Germany! They are playing with a real hunger now. Is Ehroff going to be joining the team anytime soon?

Ehrhoff is already on the plane and should be ready for the first match in the qualification round.

Old
05-12-2010, 02:45 PM
ALF AmericanLionsFan

Nice news about Ehrhoff.

Old
05-12-2010, 03:36 PM
MickOlax

Endras and Germany has really played great and I'm really happy to see the team play well. Having Ehrhoff is great news for Germany. I really kind of hope that Boston would lose to Philly so Seidenberg would come too.

I've been rooting for Germany for a long time eventhough I'm Finnish. I lived in Berlin for two years when I was little because my father played for Preussen Devils and Berlin Capitals and I also started to play hockey there myself. I have also studied Germany for 12 years so I know the language pretty well as well.

Sorry for the introduction but I just wanted to explain why a Finnish guy is rooting for Team Germany and at the same time let you know that you have at least one fan rooting for you here.

Anyway,
Go Germany!

-L-

Old
05-12-2010, 03:45 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Endras has no mental problems. He can play every 2 Days a game.

Let him play and try to upset the Russians. He EARNED all remaining Games. And most important... he comes back strong after a bad game (with a lot of Goals against him). He can handle the pressure.

Old
05-12-2010, 04:24 PM
Bobeez

But Kotschnew deserves a game, even though Endras played great
Goaltending is the least thing we should worry about

Old
05-13-2010, 01:50 AM
Sanderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickOlax View Post
Endras and Germany has really played great and I'm really happy to see the team play well. Having Ehrhoff is great news for Germany. I really kind of hope that Boston would lose to Philly so Seidenberg would come too.
Sadly, Seidenberg is injured, so there is no chance he could come over.

Kotschnew really should get one game. He played great in the games before the tournament and could have been the starter as well. Obviously, with the way Endras is playing he should carry the load, but there is nothing wrong with him playing only two out of three games, especially since the first two games are back-to-back.

Old
05-13-2010, 02:39 AM
Maverick41

Quote:

I've been rooting for Germany for a long time eventhough I'm Finnish. I lived in Berlin for two years when I was little because my father played for Preussen Devils and Berlin Capitals and I also started to play hockey there myself. I have also studied Germany for 12 years so I know the language pretty well as well.

Sorry for the introduction but I just wanted to explain why a Finnish guy is rooting for Team Germany and at the same time let you know that you have at least one fan rooting for you here.

Anyway,
Go Germany!

-L-
At least you can explain why your rooting for Germany. I'm rooting for Finland unless they play against Germany and I can't really explain why. I've always had some sort of affinity to Finland in sports (Formula 1, Ski Jumping, Hockey, etc.) later that extendend to music (mostly Heavy Metal Bands). And I really have no rational explanation for that. I haven't even been to Finland yet. Maybe I should go there on vacation some time.

Hopefully both teams can advance to the quarter finals.

Old
05-14-2010, 07:40 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Kotschnew in Goal against Russia.

it's OK. Hope Endras will get ALL the remaining Games

Old
05-15-2010, 06:08 PM
Chicagofan19

The thing that makes me happy most about this team so far, is, that everybody shows great work ethic on the ice!! We are battling hard for the pucks, play gritty style and make the opponent feel as uncomfortable as possible.

So far we've seen great performances of all (!) three goalies, practically all our defenders... Holzer, Braun, Krueger, Dietrich... everybody shows the will to step up. Even our offense, which isn't gifted with too much natural goal scoring instinct , doesn't give up pucks and fights back defensively to support the d.
It seems Uwe Krupp this time made the right decisions concerning the roster. To pick the ones like Hager, Barta, Dietrich, Braun... and especially Ullmann+ Schütz instead of the losers Bakos, C.Schmidt, Greilinger... definitely payed off.

We've allready reached our goal, won vs. USA, DEN and secured the A-WHC, and we kept it close vs. RUS, FIN, which is even sweeter. Everything we achieve from now on(and I expect hard fought wins in regulation vs. BLR + desolate SVK ) is a bonus!
I'm confident this team around the axis Endras-Ehrhoff-M.Goc will propel us to the quarter finals and that will be a great, well deserved success for them!

Last edited by Chicagofan19: 05-15-2010 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Mistakes
Old
05-17-2010, 06:44 AM
Dfire

One problem remains though: We have a hard time scoring.

After last nights overtime loss we need to beat Slovakia in order to get to the quarters. Once we're there Switzerland might be waiting.

Old
05-19-2010, 05:23 AM
Maverick41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfire View Post
One problem remains though: We have a hard time scoring.

After last nights overtime loss we need to beat Slovakia in order to get to the quarters. Once we're there Switzerland might be waiting.
Hopefully Switzerland will be too happy about facing one of the "weaker" teams in the QF, that they underestimate our team, because I think that would be our only chance, since the Swiss team is better if the play a focused and controlled game.

Still it should be fun to watch, and Endras will probaby have another chance to show off his skills.

Old
05-19-2010, 06:25 AM
McLlwain
Trevor Forever

Switzerland was on a roll until they got a little overconfident and lost to Norway followed by getting crushed by Sweden.

They won't underestimate Germany by any means. If anything there's always the rivalry that keeps both teams on the edge.

Switzerland needs a turnaround game in terms of getting back to what made them successful for a long stretch in the tournament. Germany has all the momentum going right now. If Germany doesn't settle into "happy to be there"-mode in the Quarterfinals they will be absolutely able to put up the fight.

Germany is matching Switzerland's work ethic. Keeping the Swiss off the scoreboard for as long as possible will be key. Taking a lead vs Switzerland could be crucial since they're not comfortable with opening up their game.

Also, right now I'd give the edge in goaltending to Germany. Endras has been outstanding while Gerber didn't really look good vs Norway and Stephan basically got killed by Sweden.

It will be an intense game and most likely much closer than the meetings in the last years.

Last edited by McLlwain: 05-19-2010 at 07:19 AM.
Old
05-19-2010, 10:28 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Will Endras get the start against Switzerland ???

I hope so

Old
05-19-2010, 10:56 AM
smitty10

If Germany wants to win against the Swiss, they're going to need Endras to be perfect in net, and their defense to be solid at worst. They will need all of their NHLers to be playing at the top of their game and the rest of them to play up to the same level. I think Germany can pull it off, but Marcel Goc is going to need to step up his offense, while maintaining the defensive play he is known for, while Sulzer and Ehrhoff are going to need to be perfect on defense.

Old
05-19-2010, 03:14 PM
Bacchus

Quote:
Preussen Devils / Berlin Capitals are the reason I became a hockey fan. Who is your father?

I always had a soft spot for Finish hockey as well...

Old
05-19-2010, 03:24 PM
fuechsken

I think Switzerland is going to be a really tough one to beat. Today I read that Team Germany is now dreaming of a medal in this tournament. They are not doing themselves a very big favour talking about these ambitions. I think everybody is more than happy with what they have accomplished so far, so why ruin it with overstated goals? Of course it would be great, but it takes two more wins to get a medal. Look at the teams that are left in the tournament... well, I do hope they prove me wrong ;-)

Old
05-19-2010, 05:27 PM
Tronador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Preussen Devils / Berlin Capitals are the reason I became a hockey fan. Who is your father?

I always had a soft spot for Finish hockey as well...
Hi,

here is another "Preussen-fan".

A hard time for us. I was a big fan of Huusko and Öberg.

Old
05-19-2010, 05:34 PM
McLlwain
Trevor Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuechsken View Post
I think Switzerland is going to be a really tough one to beat. Today I read that Team Germany is now dreaming of a medal in this tournament. They are not doing themselves a very big favour talking about these ambitions. I think everybody is more than happy with what they have accomplished so far, so why ruin it with overstated goals? Of course it would be great, but it takes two more wins to get a medal. Look at the teams that are left in the tournament... well, I do hope they prove me wrong ;-)
Once you're out of the tournament you can start to look back at what you've accomplished. As long as you're in the running, just go for it.
I said it earlier: A "just happy to be there"-mentality won't take you anywhere. Stay hungry as long as the buffet isn't closed.
(Yes, I stole that quote from 2008 Kyle Wellwood. )

Old
05-20-2010, 03:24 AM
fuechsken

That's true, but I don't like that this ambition is made public. In a country where most people can not value the accomplishment of reaching the quarterfinals, there is too much pressure generated by such an ambition. Of course, we as hockey insiders would look back at the WC and be very happy with the performance. But what the DEB always wanted to reach with the WC in Germany is to gain broader attention for the sports in this country. And these people will now be disappointed, if the team doesn't get a medal... "Those losers didn't reach their own goals."

The essence: keep being ambitious, but don't put so much pressure on yourself.

Old
05-20-2010, 06:00 AM
Chicagofan19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronador View Post
Hi,

here is another "Preussen-fan".

A hard time for us. I was a big fan of Huusko and Öberg.
and here is another one... my favourite players had been Sjoegren, Huusko and the hard-shootin Greg Johnston!

edith says, I forgot to mention Heinz Ehlers.

Last edited by Chicagofan19: 05-20-2010 at 06:14 AM. Reason: forgot sth
Old
05-20-2010, 08:57 AM
Maverick41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagofan19 View Post
and here is another one... my favourite players had been Sjoegren, Huusko and the hard-shootin Greg Johnston!

edith says, I forgot to mention Heinz Ehlers.
I wouldn't say I was a Preussen fan, but I liked them a lot as I like almost any sports team from Berlin. I still have jerseys of Tom O'Regan and Georg Holzmann at home. Don't fit me anymore, though.

Closed Thread