HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Germany at the 2010 World Championship

Closed Thread

Old
05-20-2010, 04:11 PM
Bacchus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick41 View Post
I wouldn't say I was a Preussen fan, but I liked them a lot as I like almost any sports team from Berlin. I still have jerseys of Tom O'Regan and Georg Holzmann at home. Don't fit me anymore, though.
Yeah, I have a "Schorsch" one as well.

Old
05-20-2010, 08:16 PM
Ilyeu

Germany silence those russian supporters. We can't have them cheering in your own home country.

Old
05-20-2010, 08:32 PM
bobermay

Does anybody think that how the Germans are playing on their home soil might create a little more interest towards Ice Hockey in Germany? I sure hope so!

Old
05-20-2010, 11:58 PM
Toni Porkka

If they would start playing soccer someone would finally care about them.

Old
05-21-2010, 02:03 AM
Maverick41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Porkka View Post
If they would start playing soccer someone would finally care about them.
It's really sad. Half an hour ago I watched the sports section on a news program. They had 3 subjects in this section. The first piece was about Turbine Potsdam winning the Women's Champion's League. The second and largest piece was about Bayern München and Franck Ribery. The last piece, about 45 seconds, was devoted to the success of the hockey team.

Old
05-21-2010, 04:50 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

will Endras get the start against Russia???

IN ENDRAS WE TRUST

Old
05-21-2010, 05:17 AM
SchwenningerWildWing

Send a message via ICQ to SchwenningerWildWing
You never know with Krupp, I hope he rides the winning goalie, but he can go with Kotschnew either. He played great that one game vs. Russia.

Old
05-21-2010, 05:19 AM
TheMoreYouKnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick41 View Post
It's really sad. Half an hour ago I watched the sports section on a news program. They had 3 subjects in this section. The first piece was about Turbine Potsdam winning the Women's Champion's League. The second and largest piece was about Bayern München and Franck Ribery. The last piece, about 45 seconds, was devoted to the success of the hockey team.
I went on kicker.de last night and it had Turbine Potsdam as the top story and hockey as the 2nd lead story. I honestly think though that sports fans overall care more about the hockey world championships than women's football. The media and officials just try their hardest to ram women's football down our throats because Germany hosts the women's football World Cup next year so be prepared for more loltastic attempts to make people follow women's football.

By the way I am also an old Preussen fan who has been in the wilderness for years now. Tony Tanti, John Chabot, Gaetan Malo, the Rumrichs, Holzmann, O'Regan, Schinko, young Sepp Lehner ..those playoff games against Krefeld, those were the days. Didn't really keep up with them past their various renaming procedures, shame about them. I still can't get myself to cheer for the Eisbären though.

Old
05-21-2010, 05:49 AM
Maverick41

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
I went on kicker.de last night and it had Turbine Potsdam as the top story and hockey as the 2nd lead story. I honestly think though that sports fans overall care more about the hockey world championships than women's football. The media and officials just try their hardest to ram women's football down our throats because Germany hosts the women's football World Cup next year so be prepared for more loltastic attempts to make people follow women's football.

By the way I am also an old Preussen fan who has been in the wilderness for years now. Tony Tanti, John Chabot, Gaetan Malo, the Rumrichs, Holzmann, O'Regan, Schinko, young Sepp Lehner ..those playoff games against Krefeld, those were the days. Didn't really keep up with them past their various renaming procedures, shame about them. I still can't get myself to cheer for the Eisbären though.
I actually do follow Women's football somewhat. I like the fact that there is less diving and embellishment than with their male counterparts.

Football is still my favourite sport, closely followed by basketball and of course hockey. As soon as they allow physical play in the DEL hockey will move to the top spot, although I would still watch more football than anything else, simply because there will always be much more football available on TV than hockey.

My favourite Preussen moment was the game in Landshut where they trailed 0-7 at the end of the 2nd period and then made in 7-7 and almsot won the game.

Old
05-21-2010, 08:29 AM
omaha82

Yesterday Uwe Krupp said in a TV interview that this was his "most significant achievement", both as a coach and as a player!

WOW Remarkable words from someone who scored a Stanley Cup winner. But I think it shows how much he is involved in the team emotionally.

I still think he should quit after the World Cup. He was getting heat from all sides for 5 years. Now he can leave with a big bang and Germanys best international achievement in recent history. It can only get downwards from here.

Old
05-21-2010, 08:38 AM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by omaha82 View Post
Yesterday Uwe Krupp said in a TV interview that this was his "most significant achievement", both as a coach and as a player!

WOW Remarkable words from someone who scored a Stanley Cup winner. But I think it shows how much he is involved in the team emotionally.

I still think he should quit after the World Cup. He was getting heat from all sides for 5 years. Now he can leave with a big bang and Germanys best international achievement in recent history. It can only get downwards from here.
Thats hard to say. This is Germany's best performance to date, but what happens if next year; all the German NHLers (or majority) teams don't make the playoffs or get knocked out first round? Then the German team will have a chance to be even better than they are right now. Especially when you add in the offense of Sturm and Hecht and throw Seidenberg and possibly Schubert back on defense. That team would be one of the stronger ones at the WC.

Old
05-21-2010, 09:46 AM
Lauro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
I went on kicker.de last night and it had Turbine Potsdam as the top story and hockey as the 2nd lead story.
Should be no surprise, "kicker" is a football magazine...

Old
05-21-2010, 10:01 AM
TheMoreYouKnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauro View Post
Should be no surprise, "kicker" is a football magazine...
It calls itself a "Sportmagazin" which is why they cover F1, Olympic sports, basketball, hockey etc. as well. The focus is certainly on football as it would be on every sports page of every German newspaper but it's not very often women's football gets a top headline there either..

Old
05-21-2010, 10:04 AM
zecke26

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
This is Germany's best performance to date
i would still value olympic bronze higher than this.

Old
05-21-2010, 10:19 AM
omaha82

Quote:
Thats hard to say. This is Germany's best performance to date, but what happens if next year; all the German NHLers (or majority) teams don't make the playoffs or get knocked out first round? Then the German team will have a chance to be even better than they are right now. Especially when you add in the offense of Sturm and Hecht and throw Seidenberg and possibly Schubert back on defense. That team would be one of the stronger ones at the WC.
In the last years, when Hecht and Sturm were playing for Germany they never found their place in the team and were not that strong. The only NHL players that really had strong performances in Germany`s national team were Ehrhoff and Seidenberg in my opinion.

The only way to build from this success is to give more support for junior players, to build a pool of really well-educated strong players for the future. But that takes 10 years at least since the structures in German hockey are really bad right now.

Old
05-21-2010, 10:22 AM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by zecke26 View Post
i would still value olympic bronze higher than this.
Alright, but Germany has never won an Olympic bronze in hockey. I'm just saying this is the best they've ever done, which it actually is. They've never made the semi's before.

Old
05-21-2010, 10:32 AM
mexicohockey

Quote:
Alright, but Germany has never won an Olympic bronze in hockey. I'm just saying this is the best they've ever done, which it actually is. They've never made the semi's before.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_hoc...inter_Olympics

Toni Kehle was my childhood hero after this....

Old
05-21-2010, 10:58 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
WM-Held Dennis Endras wird im Halbfinale am Samstag (18.00 Uhr/live bei Sport1) gegen Weltmeister Russland voraussichtlich nicht im Tor der deutschen Eishockey-Nationalmannschaft stehen. „Er hat jetzt zwei Spiele in drei Tagen gemacht, und wir haben noch zwei Spiele. Vielleicht geben wir ihm einen Tag frei“, sagte Bundestrainer Uwe Krupp. Beim 2:3 in der Zwischenrunde gegen den Rekordweltmeister hatte Dimitrij Kotschnew, der bei Spartak Moskau spielt, zwischen den Pfosten gestanden
in english... Krupp sounds like he is an idiot and wants to give (thinks about giving) Kotschnew or Zepp the start against Russia.

Old
05-21-2010, 11:10 AM
mexicohockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
in english... Krupp sounds like he is an idiot and wants to give (thinks about giving) Kotschnew or Zepp the start against Russia.
The game schedule is very tight, there are less than 20 hrs. between the semi-final and the 3rd place game.
Chances to beat Russia are very slim, but there are chances that a very sharp german team might be able to upset a less interested/disappointed loser of the other semi-final.

Kotschnew played great against the Russians in this tournament. So it is kind of a trade-off...

Old
05-21-2010, 11:16 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Endras is the best Goalie at this WCs.

What does he tell the Team?
Quote:
Sorry guys, but I want to give him a day off. Dennis just said that he can handle this situation and is ok (or say at 100%), but that doesn't matter because I want to win the game on Sunday, not against Russia
????

sorry but this is stupid. Kotschnew may deserve another game, but Endras is they key to win (if we want to win he has to play. I don't expect it, but you never know) this game.

Old
05-21-2010, 11:21 AM
omaha82

Krupp was criticized for every Goalie decision he made in this tournament, but the Goalies always proved him right. So let`s give him the benefit of the doubt, he deserved it.

And i dont think that giving Endras a break sends a wrong signal to the team, thats exactly the same words Krupp said before he let Kotschnew play vs Russia and the team was clearly playing to win in that game.

Old
05-21-2010, 11:23 AM
john g

Quote:
Olympic record

* 1928 - Finished in 9th place
* 1932 - Won bronze medal <--
* 1936 - Finished tied in 5th place
* 1948 - Finished in 6th place
* 1952 - Finished in 8th place
* 1956 - Finished in 6th place (United Team of Germany)
* 1960 - Finished in 6th place (United Team of Germany)
* 1964 - Finished in 7th place (United Team of Germany)
* 1968 - Finished in 7th place
* 1972 - Finished in 7th place
* 1976 - Won bronze medal <--
* 1980 - Finished in 10th place
* 1984 - Finished in 5th place
* 1988 - Finished in 5th place
* 1992 - Finished in 6th place
* 1994 - Finished in 7th place
* 1998 - Finished in 9th place
* 2002 - Finished in 8th place
* 2006 - Finished in 10th place
* 2010 - Finished in 11th place

Old
05-21-2010, 11:26 AM
Bobeez

It looks like Endras is a bit tired and we need his best game again on sunday
It's the first time in his career, that he plays 60+ games a season!!

Even if we beat Russia, he would be dead tired and not ready for sunday.
Kotschnew played strong and is not a big downgrade

Old
05-21-2010, 11:28 AM
zecke26

Quote:
you already got the olympic facts from others, let me give you some WC facts too:

# 1930 - Won silver medal
# 1934 - Won bronze medal
# 1953 - Won Silver medal

so it's the biggest achievement at the WC since 53

Old
05-21-2010, 11:36 AM
zorz

Quote:
Originally Posted by zecke26 View Post
you already got the olympic facts from others, let me give you some WC facts too:

# 1930 - Won silver medal
# 1934 - Won bronze medal
# 1953 - Won Silver medal

so it's the biggest achievement at the WC since 53
It probably won't be though... I doubt Germany could win bronze medal against Sweden

Closed Thread