HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

ATD 2010 Regular Season Standings & Playoff Schedule

Old
04-18-2010, 09:57 AM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Wow, so who was hating on my team? Check out the matchup thread with NJ, I think I've made some adjustments that can sway opinions. My offense scores goals, and my defense plays defense. That's the philosophy I went into with this, and I'm going to hold true to it. My offense should score goals, and my defense should prevent them, and not the other way around. (for the most part).

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2010, 09:59 AM
Dwight
The French Tickler

vCash: 500
Billy I definitely put at least 2 teams lower than you. Didn't think you'd go last at all.

I'm also glad to say that all 4 division leaders were either 1st or 2nd in my rankings. Cool

Dwight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2010, 01:38 PM
MadArcand
We do not sow

I did have you last in our division, but with overall score that equalled that which I gave the Jacks, for what it's worth. I had 10 teams below you overall.

MadArcand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2010, 03:50 PM
hungryhungryhippy

6 days seems awfully long, no?

It would be nice if we voted after 3 days of discussion, that's more then enough time for arguments and decisions to be made, and it would speed the process up before people lose interest.

I hope that going forward, the length of discussion time in other rounds goes down, especially because more and more people will be out and therefore lose a bit of interest.

hungryhungryhippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2010, 03:56 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by hungryhungryhippy View Post
6 days seems awfully long, no?

It would be nice if we voted after 3 days of discussion, that's more then enough time for arguments and decisions to be made, and it would speed the process up before people lose interest.

I hope that going forward, the length of discussion time in other rounds goes down, especially because more and more people will be out and therefore lose a bit of interest.
The first round should be the longest, because that's when there is the most to be said.

But I agree, 6 days is pretty long.

based on past experiences, my preference would be 4-3-3-2-2. with 1-2 days in between each for voting.

Which would be just 24 days!! Round 2 of the NHL playoffs would just be closing out. Regina could win the finals on the same day that Crosby scores a hat trick in game 7 against Washington and Invisible Ovechkin in a 6-0 win.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2010, 04:22 PM
Leafs Forever

I like more time. What is the rush, really?

Leafs Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2010, 04:47 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs Forever View Post
I like more time. What is the rush, really?
I agree, at least for the first round when all 30 GMs are hopefully engaged.

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2010, 04:49 PM
jarek

Gordie Howe can't double shift!!!

jarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2010, 04:58 PM
arrbez
bad chi

Send a message via MSN to arrbez
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadArcand View Post
I'd rather wait one more season to see if he can even come close to this season's production - or if this season was just one huge fluke, which I think is more likely.
Man, it's not like I drafted Stamkos. Sedin has been a legit top-line centre in the NHL for years, which is more than can be said for plenty of guys playing on 4th lines in this. He's not going to crack skulls out there, but I don't think he needs to. He's a great playmaker with a history of making his linemates better (he's second to only Thornton in assists since the lockout), and he's responsible defensively. I wouldn't have drafted him if he was a run-and-gun type player, but he's not. He's absolutely elite at cycling the puck deep in the opposition's end, and that's a very valuable skill to have. What better place for a 4th line to be than behind the other team's net?

And he now has an Art Ross and is battling Crosby for the First Allstar Team. I was one of many who thought that there was no way he would hold off Ovechkin when Ovi drew even with him in the scoring race prior to the Olympics. But he did, and he outscored him down the stretch while leading the league in assists by a mile.

arrbez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2010, 08:33 PM
jarek

Quote:
I'd rather wait one more season to see if he can even come close to this season's production - or if this season was just one huge fluke, which I think is more likely.

ATD spare, OK. 4th liner though? Hell no.
Are you kidding me? Henrik Sedin has been a consistent point per game player year in and year out. He's got a contract under his belt now that'll keep him in Vancouver forever, and he's rewarding the team for their faith in him by taking his game to the next level. It was going to happen sooner or later - the Sedins are incredibly talented. Few in the NHL have the patience, vision and passing ability of Henrik. Him winning the Art Ross was surprising to be sure, but not completely unexpected. He probably won't win it again next year, but I do expect a 95-100 point season out of him at least.

Old
04-18-2010, 08:42 PM
hungryhungryhippy

Henrik put up these numbers this season because the Canucks changed their style of play, not because it's a fluke.

hungryhungryhippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2010, 10:37 PM
Leaf Lander

Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
You must think the Jim Robson really sucks to rank the Fusiliers 1st in the division but 16th overall!

Anyways...
ill admit they were the first division i ranked

i was harder on them

it isn't scientific it's just for fun

Leaf Lander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2010, 05:59 AM
MadArcand
We do not sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by jareklajkosz View Post
Are you kidding me? Henrik Sedin has been a consistent point per game player year in and year out. He's got a contract under his belt now that'll keep him in Vancouver forever, and he's rewarding the team for their faith in him by taking his game to the next level. It was going to happen sooner or later - the Sedins are incredibly talented. Few in the NHL have the patience, vision and passing ability of Henrik. Him winning the Art Ross was surprising to be sure, but not completely unexpected. He probably won't win it again next year, but I do expect a 95-100 point season out of him at least.
Two PPG seasons in his career is hardly 'consistent PPG player year in and year out'.

It's true what arrbez said, that he's a legit #1 center - for last 5 seasons. His career point finishes among centers are 80th, 69th, 70th, 43rd, 19th, 12th, 14th, 9th & 1st. This season is by far an extreme outlier.

Here's Jason Allison (a bigger, slower and more physical version of Sedin) for comparison: 54th, 4th, 8th, 72nd (39 GP), 3rd, 9th, 93rd (26 GP), 32nd. That's a far better resume than Sedin had before this season.

Bottom line, while Sedin might have enough offensive resume to be ATDer, he's a lousy fit for a 4th line role.

MadArcand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2010, 08:16 AM
jarek

Quote:
Two PPG seasons in his career is hardly 'consistent PPG player year in and year out'.

It's true what arrbez said, that he's a legit #1 center - for last 5 seasons. His career point finishes among centers are 80th, 69th, 70th, 43rd, 19th, 12th, 14th, 9th & 1st. This season is by far an extreme outlier.

Here's Jason Allison (a bigger, slower and more physical version of Sedin) for comparison: 54th, 4th, 8th, 72nd (39 GP), 3rd, 9th, 93rd (26 GP), 32nd. That's a far better resume than Sedin had before this season.

Bottom line, while Sedin might have enough offensive resume to be ATDer, he's a lousy fit for a 4th line role.
Unless Sedin is the 3rd most physical player on that 4th line.

He's also more responsible defensively than Allison ever was. And far faster.

Old
04-19-2010, 01:28 PM
seventieslord

Allison's attitude and conditioning are far more questionable too, and will keep him out of the ATD in perpetuity.

However, those points finishes are kinda eye-opening.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2010, 04:18 PM
jarek

All things considered, it probably is too early for Sedin to see the ATD as a regular. Maybe arrbez got too excited about the Art Ross win. But he's not completely out of place.

Old
04-19-2010, 06:20 PM
arrbez
bad chi

Quote:

Again, I think you have a limited view of what a 4th liner can be. I'm not asking him to run around hitting everything that moves.

In Sedin I have a respectable defensive player who's among the best in the business at holding the puck deep in the opposition end and creating offense down low. And that's all I want of him.

I'm asking him to work the puck deep, not be a defensive liability, and hopefully set up a few goals. He's a smart, versatile player and there's nothing to suggest he can't accomplish these things.

Old
04-19-2010, 06:43 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Sedin obviously isn't a good fit for a 4th line that is meant as a crash-and-bang energy line. But that's not all a 4th line has to be.

A 4th line is traditionally a crash and bang energy line, but I think that has as much to do with the fact that the NHL hasn't necessarily had enough front-line talent to fill 24-30 teams. If you couldn't make it in the NHL with your skill, you tried to do it with your fists, the reasoning went.

I think you can go multiple directions with your 4th line, so long as it has a purpose. The Swamp Devils 4th line, for instance, is basically a 2nd checking line - a bit better offensively than our 3rd line, but not quite so good defensively.

Team Canada picked a certain type of player for their 4th line in 1998 and still get criticized for it. Their last two gold medal winners had talented guys to play on the 4th line.

It's a valid question, however, as to whether Sedin (or any other star) would accept a 4th line role. Being given time on the 2nd PP should help make Sedin less unhappy, I would think.

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2010, 06:48 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
It's a valid question, however, as to whether Sedin (or any other star) would accept a 4th line role. Being given time on the 2nd PP should help make Sedin less unhappy, I would think.
He's pretty low maintenance as he accepts being 37th in average ice time among forwards.

Hedberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2010, 07:02 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

There were 83 trades.
24 teams made trades.
22 teams made multiple trades.
MrBugg (8) and jareklajkosz & seventieslord (6) made the most trades.

Kudos to Hedberg aka ALB & vancityluongo whose Sharks were ranked 2nd in the Foster Hewitt despite making zero trades. Also Chigurh's Battalion were 3rd in the Bob Cole without trading at all either.

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2010, 07:18 PM
jarek

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Sedin obviously isn't a good fit for a 4th line that is meant as a crash-and-bang energy line. But that's not all a 4th line has to be.

A 4th line is traditionally a crash and bang energy line, but I think that has as much to do with the fact that the NHL hasn't necessarily had enough front-line talent to fill 24-30 teams. If you couldn't make it in the NHL with your skill, you tried to do it with your fists, the reasoning went.

I think you can go multiple directions with your 4th line, so long as it has a purpose. The Swamp Devils 4th line, for instance, is basically a 2nd checking line - a bit better offensively than our 3rd line, but not quite so good defensively.

Team Canada picked a certain type of player for their 4th line in 1998 and still get criticized for it. Their last two gold medal winners had talented guys to play on the 4th line.

You know, this argument is starting to give me headaches. Unless a player in real life openly complained about his ice time or his role or whatever, I don't think any of these players would be unhappy with their roles in an ATD. Most of them would likely be happy just to be chosen.

Old
04-19-2010, 07:19 PM
jarek

ATD is fun.

Last edited by jarek: 04-19-2010 at 07:28 PM.
Old
04-19-2010, 07:20 PM
arrbez
bad chi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugerLovesBurrows View Post
He's pretty low maintenance as he accepts being 37th in average ice time among forwards.
Yeah, I've never seen anything to suggest that Sedin has a major ego or would otherwise have attitude problems. He strikes me as a very coachable and gracious guy, and like every other player in this, I'm sure he understands the circumstances. He's spent a lot of time in his career in a less-than-starring role, both in the NHL and internationally. He doesn't strike me as the type who's going to rock the boat because he thinks he deserves a top-6 spot over the likes of Stastny or Maltsev.

His attitude (as well as his skating and defensive play) is one of the main reasons I think the Jason Allison comparison is a poor one.

Last edited by arrbez: 04-19-2010 at 07:27 PM.
Old
04-19-2010, 07:23 PM
arrbez
bad chi

Quote:
You know, this argument is starting to give me headaches. Unless a player in real life openly complained about his ice time or his role or whatever, I don't think any of these players would be unhappy with their roles in an ATD. Most of them would likely be happy just to be chosen.
Yup. Virtually every #6 defenseman in this is used to playing top-pairing minutes. Just about every backup goalie is used to being the go-to guy. There's probably not a 4th liner in the draft who was a 4th liner in real life, etc. I think we have to go on the assumption that guys will understand the context that they're in, or we could ask the same question of just about everyone.

Old
04-19-2010, 07:30 PM
arrbez
bad chi

Quote:
Kostitsyn is 3rd in playoff scoring?
I really hope someone adopts a Hab Lander account so they can draft him next year