HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

ATD 2010 Regular Season Standings & Playoff Schedule

Old
04-19-2010, 07:32 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jareklajkosz View Post
You know, this argument is starting to give me headaches. Unless a player in real life openly complained about his ice time or his role or whatever, I don't think any of these players would be unhappy with their roles in an ATD. Most of them would likely be happy just to be chosen.
I think life is giving you headaches, judging from the tone of your recent posts.

Note I am not personally questioning Sedin on a 4th line. Just noting that there is a general question as to whether certain players will accept 4th line duties or not.

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2010, 07:35 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrbez View Post
Yup. Virtually every #6 defenseman in this is used to playing top-pairing minutes. Just about every backup goalie is used to being the go-to guy. There's probably not a 4th liner in the draft who was a 4th liner in real life, etc. I think we have to go on the assumption that guys will understand the context that they're in, or we could ask the same question of just about everyone.
There's a slight difference though. Even bottom pairing defensemen will play 10-15 minutes per game in the regular season, maybe 10 minutes in the playoffs.

A 4th liner might play 5 minutes in a playoff game, depending on how the 4th line is used.

A bottom pairing defensive pair is generally expected to do the same thing as a top pair, just less often and against worse competition.

A 4th line often has a specific role that is very different from a scoring line - and not all forwards are necessarily suited to this role.

Also, due to the nature of the position, I think defensemen in general are less likely to be primadonnas than forwards are

(Note that nothing I said above is about Sedin in particular).

Old
04-19-2010, 07:55 PM
arrbez
bad chi

Send a message via MSN to arrbez
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
There's a slight difference though. Even bottom pairing defensemen will play 10-15 minutes per game in the regular season, maybe 10 minutes in the playoffs.

A 4th liner might play 5 minutes in a playoff game, depending on how the 4th line is used.

A bottom pairing defensive pair is generally expected to do the same thing as a top pair, just less often and against worse competition.

A 4th line often has a specific role that is very different from a scoring line - and not all forwards are necessarily suited to this role.

Also, due to the nature of the position, I think defensemen in general are less likely to be primadonnas than forwards are
True, good points. I guess I'm just hesitant to consider it an issue unless a player has a history of being unhappy with his icetime. I think we could pretty accurately say that many of the 4th liners in this were good 1st or 2nd liners in real life. Even if they weren't stars, "prototypical" 4th liners like O'Reilly, Smyl, Hunter, etc are certainly used to a whole lot more minutes than they'll get on a 4th line here.

arrbez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2010, 10:28 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Yup. Virtually every #6 defenseman in this is used to playing top-pairing minutes. Just about every backup goalie is used to being the go-to guy. There's probably not a 4th liner in the draft who was a 4th liner in real life, etc. I think we have to go on the assumption that guys will understand the context that they're in, or we could ask the same question of just about everyone.
100% agree.

Quote:
I really hope someone adopts a Hab Lander account so they can draft him next year

Quote:
I think life is giving you headaches, judging from the tone of your recent posts.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 12:02 AM
jarek

Quote:

Note I am not personally questioning Sedin on a 4th line. Just noting that there is a general question as to whether certain players will accept 4th line duties or not.
Exams, end of school (finally). It's been a pretty hectic last few weeks actually.

jarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 01:42 AM
Leaf Lander

Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
Quote:
I really hope someone adopts a Hab Lander account so they can draft him next year
did i miss something

my nick mane comes from my various interest

I like celtic movies like braveheart lord of the rings and highlander

I am an athletic leaf fan

I am keeper of the secrets of the BWO (Buds World Order)

I posses decent sense of humor despite the fact that my brain is shrinking everyday (every male over age 30 is also enduring this condition)plus I'm amazingly good looking thus the nick name

Leaf Lander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 02:19 AM
MadArcand
We do not sow

I bet you also have amazingly good drugs.

And Re: Sedin: he's not as good defensively as you Canucks fans try to paint him. He's merely adequate, and below average in ATD sense.

BTW is nick AWOL? Kinda sucks not to have any discussion at all in your series.

MadArcand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 04:25 AM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadArcand View Post
I bet you also have amazingly good drugs.

And Re: Sedin: he's not as good defensively as you Canucks fans try to paint him. He's merely adequate, and below average in ATD sense.

BTW is nick AWOL? Kinda sucks not to have any discussion at all in your series.
I saw him post the other day on the main board. Of course, posting on the main board requires approximately zero brainpower and time.

Old
04-20-2010, 02:31 PM
Nalyd Psycho

Quote:
Unless it's a scoring line. There is no set way a forth line is used. If you have a question of tactics, then ask what the tactics are, don't just assume that a team is using bad tactics and grill them for it.

04-20-2010, 05:11 PM
arrbez
bad chi

Send a message via MSN to arrbez
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadArcand View Post
I disagree. I think he's a very good defensive player, and he's a guy who's willing to accept a checking role when necessary, as he did in Torino (where he also played quite a bit on the PK if I recall, not that I'd use him for that here). He's certainly above average, and there's plenty who would seem to agree:

Quote:
Is extremely well rounded and more suited to the physical game than twin brother Daniel. Has strong defensive tendencies and playmaking ability. - The Hockey News
Quote:
Sedin’s defensive ability also allowed the Canucks to play their domineering top line and emerging second line at will. Finally, his durability remained remarkable as he played all 82 games for the fifth straight season. He has missed just eight games in nine NHL seasons. Sedin’s consummate effort, timely play, consistency and quiet dominance make him an easy choice for the Hart Trophy this season. If he has any disadvantage it is only the politics of NHL stardom. - hockeywriters.com
Quote:
What's more, Henrik Sedin and his twin brother Daniel have long been credited with being strong defensive players who can control a game with their puck possession and ability to cycle the puck in the offensive zone. - puckwatch.com

arrbez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 12:43 AM
Leaf Lander

the sedin twins are a interesting duo and they are raising their career stock dramatically this yr but will they stand the test of time and be amongst the very best of all time...stay tuned!

Old
04-21-2010, 02:34 PM
Leaf Lander

when do we vote

Old
04-21-2010, 04:17 PM
VanIslander
10 Years of ATDing

As stated in the first post of this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
Discussions will continue until Thursday evening. Friday is Voting Day.
I guess I should have bolded and enlarged it.

Friday is Voting Day.

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 04:33 PM
hungryhungryhippy

So are the threads closed at midnight on Thursday?

my opponent hasn't been around which kinda sucks, there's no discussion going on in my series thread...

hungryhungryhippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 04:57 PM
seventieslord

Well, come join my thread, that's where the party is.

the 7 threads with the fewest replies have a total of 132; mine has 149 on its own.

Old
04-22-2010, 11:56 AM
markrander87

I really hope people who are going to vote take the time to read all the discussion posted in each playoff thread. It would be really ****** if people automatically voted for the higher sead without actually reading the arguements.

markrander87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 12:01 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrander87 View Post
I really hope people who are going to vote take the time to read all the discussion posted in each playoff thread. It would be really ****** if people automatically voted for the higher sead without actually reading the arguements.
I think most people read the arguments. But with 16 series going on, it's hard to remember what all has been typed in the series with the longest arguments. So I'm going to post a summary of why I should win in my series.

Old
04-22-2010, 12:05 PM
markrander87

Quote:
I think most people read the arguments. But with 16 series going on, it's hard to remember what all has been typed in the series with the longest arguments. So I'm going to post a summary of why I should win in my series.
Sounds like a very good idea.

Old
04-22-2010, 12:49 PM
Stoneberg
Bored

I'm OK with folks blindly voting through the top seeds.

Seriously though, I can't speak for anyone else, but I've read all of the discussions so far. That, combined with the playoffs and tax season has left me with no social life to speak of recently.

Stoneberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 12:55 PM
seventieslord

There've been times based on the voting I was convinced that the voters just didn't read. (in my own series and others) - so yeah, a summary wouldn't be a bad idea.

Old
04-22-2010, 02:28 PM
markrander87

Summary Posted in Laval's Play-off Match-up, please take the time to understand the series

Old
04-22-2010, 02:33 PM
jarek

I haven't read most of the discussions yet, but I will come voting time. My exam is tomorrow at 8:30 in the morning, so when I get home, the rest of the day will be analyzing and voting on each match-up.

jarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 02:40 PM
Transplanted Caper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Lander View Post
did i miss something

my nick mane comes from my various interest

I like celtic movies like braveheart lord of the rings and highlander

I am an athletic leaf fan

I am keeper of the secrets of the BWO (Buds World Order)

I posses decent sense of humor despite the fact that my brain is shrinking everyday (every male over age 30 is also enduring this condition)plus I'm amazingly good looking thus the nick name
You're the internet's MVP.

Transplanted Caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 06:38 PM
Dreakmur

Who are we sending the votes to?

Dreakmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 06:43 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
Who are we sending the votes to?
It's not voting day yet, but I am pretty sure it's going to be going to VI and myself.