HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

ATD 2010 Regular Season Standings & Playoff Schedule

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-19-2010, 07:32 PM
  #76
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator
 
TheDevilMadeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 37,804
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jareklajkosz View Post
You know, this argument is starting to give me headaches. Unless a player in real life openly complained about his ice time or his role or whatever, I don't think any of these players would be unhappy with their roles in an ATD. Most of them would likely be happy just to be chosen.
I think life is giving you headaches, judging from the tone of your recent posts.

Note I am not personally questioning Sedin on a 4th line. Just noting that there is a general question as to whether certain players will accept 4th line duties or not.

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2010, 07:35 PM
  #77
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator
 
TheDevilMadeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 37,804
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrbez View Post
Yup. Virtually every #6 defenseman in this is used to playing top-pairing minutes. Just about every backup goalie is used to being the go-to guy. There's probably not a 4th liner in the draft who was a 4th liner in real life, etc. I think we have to go on the assumption that guys will understand the context that they're in, or we could ask the same question of just about everyone.
There's a slight difference though. Even bottom pairing defensemen will play 10-15 minutes per game in the regular season, maybe 10 minutes in the playoffs.

A 4th liner might play 5 minutes in a playoff game, depending on how the 4th line is used.

A bottom pairing defensive pair is generally expected to do the same thing as a top pair, just less often and against worse competition.

A 4th line often has a specific role that is very different from a scoring line - and not all forwards are necessarily suited to this role.

Also, due to the nature of the position, I think defensemen in general are less likely to be primadonnas than forwards are

(Note that nothing I said above is about Sedin in particular).

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2010, 07:55 PM
  #78
arrbez
bad chi
 
arrbez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,611
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to arrbez
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
There's a slight difference though. Even bottom pairing defensemen will play 10-15 minutes per game in the regular season, maybe 10 minutes in the playoffs.

A 4th liner might play 5 minutes in a playoff game, depending on how the 4th line is used.

A bottom pairing defensive pair is generally expected to do the same thing as a top pair, just less often and against worse competition.

A 4th line often has a specific role that is very different from a scoring line - and not all forwards are necessarily suited to this role.

Also, due to the nature of the position, I think defensemen in general are less likely to be primadonnas than forwards are
True, good points. I guess I'm just hesitant to consider it an issue unless a player has a history of being unhappy with his icetime. I think we could pretty accurately say that many of the 4th liners in this were good 1st or 2nd liners in real life. Even if they weren't stars, "prototypical" 4th liners like O'Reilly, Smyl, Hunter, etc are certainly used to a whole lot more minutes than they'll get on a 4th line here.

arrbez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2010, 10:28 PM
  #79
seventieslord
Registered User
 
seventieslord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,548
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrbez View Post
Yup. Virtually every #6 defenseman in this is used to playing top-pairing minutes. Just about every backup goalie is used to being the go-to guy. There's probably not a 4th liner in the draft who was a 4th liner in real life, etc. I think we have to go on the assumption that guys will understand the context that they're in, or we could ask the same question of just about everyone.
100% agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrbez View Post
I really hope someone adopts a Hab Lander account so they can draft him next year


Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
I think life is giving you headaches, judging from the tone of your recent posts.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 12:02 AM
  #80
jarek
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 4,550
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
I think life is giving you headaches, judging from the tone of your recent posts.

Note I am not personally questioning Sedin on a 4th line. Just noting that there is a general question as to whether certain players will accept 4th line duties or not.
Exams, end of school (finally). It's been a pretty hectic last few weeks actually.

jarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 01:42 AM
  #81
Leaf Lander
Registered User
 
Leaf Lander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: BWO Headquarters
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,671
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrbez View Post
I really hope someone adopts a Hab Lander account so they can draft him next year
did i miss something

my nick mane comes from my various interest

I like celtic movies like braveheart lord of the rings and highlander

I am an athletic leaf fan

I am keeper of the secrets of the BWO (Buds World Order)

I posses decent sense of humor despite the fact that my brain is shrinking everyday (every male over age 30 is also enduring this condition)plus I'm amazingly good looking thus the nick name

Leaf Lander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 02:19 AM
  #82
MadArcand
We do not sow
 
MadArcand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Pyke
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 4,500
vCash: 500
I bet you also have amazingly good drugs.

And Re: Sedin: he's not as good defensively as you Canucks fans try to paint him. He's merely adequate, and below average in ATD sense.

BTW is nick AWOL? Kinda sucks not to have any discussion at all in your series.

MadArcand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 04:25 AM
  #83
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator
 
TheDevilMadeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 37,804
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadArcand View Post
I bet you also have amazingly good drugs.

And Re: Sedin: he's not as good defensively as you Canucks fans try to paint him. He's merely adequate, and below average in ATD sense.

BTW is nick AWOL? Kinda sucks not to have any discussion at all in your series.
I saw him post the other day on the main board. Of course, posting on the main board requires approximately zero brainpower and time.

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 02:31 PM
  #84
Nalyd Psycho
Registered User
 
Nalyd Psycho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: No Bandwagon
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,717
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
A 4th line often has a specific role that is very different from a scoring line - and not all forwards are necessarily suited to this role.
Unless it's a scoring line. There is no set way a forth line is used. If you have a question of tactics, then ask what the tactics are, don't just assume that a team is using bad tactics and grill them for it.

__________________
Every post comes with the Nalyd Psycho Seal of Approval.
Nalyd Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 05:11 PM
  #85
arrbez
bad chi
 
arrbez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,611
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to arrbez
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadArcand View Post
And Re: Sedin: he's not as good defensively as you Canucks fans try to paint him. He's merely adequate, and below average in ATD sense.
I disagree. I think he's a very good defensive player, and he's a guy who's willing to accept a checking role when necessary, as he did in Torino (where he also played quite a bit on the PK if I recall, not that I'd use him for that here). He's certainly above average, and there's plenty who would seem to agree:

Quote:
Is extremely well rounded and more suited to the physical game than twin brother Daniel. Has strong defensive tendencies and playmaking ability. - The Hockey News
Quote:
Sedin’s defensive ability also allowed the Canucks to play their domineering top line and emerging second line at will. Finally, his durability remained remarkable as he played all 82 games for the fifth straight season. He has missed just eight games in nine NHL seasons. Sedin’s consummate effort, timely play, consistency and quiet dominance make him an easy choice for the Hart Trophy this season. If he has any disadvantage it is only the politics of NHL stardom. - hockeywriters.com
Quote:
What's more, Henrik Sedin and his twin brother Daniel have long been credited with being strong defensive players who can control a game with their puck possession and ability to cycle the puck in the offensive zone. - puckwatch.com

arrbez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 12:43 AM
  #86
Leaf Lander
Registered User
 
Leaf Lander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: BWO Headquarters
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,671
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
the sedin twins are a interesting duo and they are raising their career stock dramatically this yr but will they stand the test of time and be amongst the very best of all time...stay tuned!

Leaf Lander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 02:34 PM
  #87
Leaf Lander
Registered User
 
Leaf Lander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: BWO Headquarters
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,671
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
when do we vote

Leaf Lander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 04:17 PM
  #88
VanIslander
10 Years of ATDing
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 17,854
vCash: 500
As stated in the first post of this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
Discussions will continue until Thursday evening. Friday is Voting Day.
I guess I should have bolded and enlarged it.

Friday is Voting Day.

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 04:33 PM
  #89
hungryhungryhippy
Registered User
 
hungryhungryhippy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 739
vCash: 500
So are the threads closed at midnight on Thursday?

my opponent hasn't been around which kinda sucks, there's no discussion going on in my series thread...

hungryhungryhippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 04:57 PM
  #90
seventieslord
Registered User
 
seventieslord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,548
vCash: 500
Well, come join my thread, that's where the party is.

the 7 threads with the fewest replies have a total of 132; mine has 149 on its own.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 11:56 AM
  #91
markrander87
Registered User
 
markrander87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,573
vCash: 500
I really hope people who are going to vote take the time to read all the discussion posted in each playoff thread. It would be really ****** if people automatically voted for the higher sead without actually reading the arguements.

markrander87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 12:01 PM
  #92
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator
 
TheDevilMadeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 37,804
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrander87 View Post
I really hope people who are going to vote take the time to read all the discussion posted in each playoff thread. It would be really ****** if people automatically voted for the higher sead without actually reading the arguements.
I think most people read the arguments. But with 16 series going on, it's hard to remember what all has been typed in the series with the longest arguments. So I'm going to post a summary of why I should win in my series.

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 12:05 PM
  #93
markrander87
Registered User
 
markrander87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,573
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
I think most people read the arguments. But with 16 series going on, it's hard to remember what all has been typed in the series with the longest arguments. So I'm going to post a summary of why I should win in my series.
Sounds like a very good idea.

markrander87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 12:49 PM
  #94
Stoneberg
Bored
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,672
vCash: 500
I'm OK with folks blindly voting through the top seeds.

Seriously though, I can't speak for anyone else, but I've read all of the discussions so far. That, combined with the playoffs and tax season has left me with no social life to speak of recently.

Stoneberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 12:55 PM
  #95
seventieslord
Registered User
 
seventieslord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,548
vCash: 500
There've been times based on the voting I was convinced that the voters just didn't read. (in my own series and others) - so yeah, a summary wouldn't be a bad idea.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 02:28 PM
  #96
markrander87
Registered User
 
markrander87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,573
vCash: 500
Summary Posted in Laval's Play-off Match-up, please take the time to understand the series

markrander87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 02:33 PM
  #97
jarek
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 4,550
vCash: 500
I haven't read most of the discussions yet, but I will come voting time. My exam is tomorrow at 8:30 in the morning, so when I get home, the rest of the day will be analyzing and voting on each match-up.

jarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 02:40 PM
  #98
Transplanted Caper
Registered User
 
Transplanted Caper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Internet Underbelly
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,680
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Lander View Post
did i miss something

my nick mane comes from my various interest

I like celtic movies like braveheart lord of the rings and highlander

I am an athletic leaf fan

I am keeper of the secrets of the BWO (Buds World Order)

I posses decent sense of humor despite the fact that my brain is shrinking everyday (every male over age 30 is also enduring this condition)plus I'm amazingly good looking thus the nick name
You're the internet's MVP.

Transplanted Caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 06:38 PM
  #99
Dreakmur
Registered User
 
Dreakmur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Orillia, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,769
vCash: 500
Who are we sending the votes to?

Dreakmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 06:43 PM
  #100
seventieslord
Registered User
 
seventieslord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,548
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
Who are we sending the votes to?
It's not voting day yet, but I am pretty sure it's going to be going to VI and myself.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:20 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.