HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do the Wolfpack trap?

Closed Thread

Old
05-06-2004, 10:17 PM
Leetch

vCash: 500
Do the Wolfpack trap?

I don't watch any Wolfpack games and I keep hearing everyone praise the way they play defense, and considering McGill is being considered to be our coach, I was wondering the style they play. I HATE the trap, but if it works, it works.

Old
05-07-2004, 10:27 AM
Kubera55

Everyone in professional hockey traps to one degree or another (style's and emphasis vary, but it's always there).

However, I've seen 4-6 Wolfpack games this year, and I would not define them as a trapping team. They're more similar to Montreal, or even the Rangers from early on in the season (small wonder since they were allegedly running the same 'system'.)

Basically the game plan is very simple: Forchecking in the offensive zone, and from the blue-line in, clog the slot with bodies and keep everything to the outside, or from distance. The Pack block an insane amount of shots, and generally keep everything in their own zone along the boards. This makes it easy on their goalies, who only have to stop bad angle shots and who don't have much to worry about rebounds since there is always a Pack player (or two) in the crease to sweep out the garbage.

Old
05-07-2004, 10:42 AM
Fletch

Basic hockey 101...

when the opposition has the puck in their own zone, put pressure on and try to force a turnover. When in your own zone, protect the front of the net (don't let players stand and walk in freely), block the passing lanes, and keep things to the outside - and once in control of the puck, I'd venture to guess they're not throwing out home-run passes up the middle and use the boards a bit to clear the zone.

Old
05-07-2004, 04:03 PM
Kubera55

Well, maybe I over generalized Fletch. Let me rephrase:

I think of trapping teams as ones that use a passive fore-check and clog neutral ice like crazy. The bulk of play is spent circling the redline until someone commits a bad turnover and then they're off to the races.

The Wolfpack don't do that.

They forecheck a lot in the offensive zone, but when on defense, they seem to sort of collapse on their own net, putting 2-3 bodies around the crease and daring opposing forwards to try to find room around their goalie. Meanwhile the other forwards back check hard and force the puck holder wide, making it that much harder to find open net to shoot at.

Better?

Old
05-07-2004, 11:04 PM
Bure9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubera55
Well, maybe I over generalized Fletch. Let me rephrase:

I think of trapping teams as ones that use a passive fore-check and clog neutral ice like crazy. The bulk of play is spent circling the redline until someone commits a bad turnover and then they're off to the races.

The Wolfpack don't do that.

They forecheck a lot in the offensive zone, but when on defense, they seem to sort of collapse on their own net, putting 2-3 bodies around the crease and daring opposing forwards to try to find room around their goalie. Meanwhile the other forwards back check hard and force the puck holder wide, making it that much harder to find open net to shoot at.

Better?
What do they do in the neutral zone? Anything?

Closed Thread