HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Toronto Should Go All Out Next Year!!!

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-08-2004, 11:27 AM
  #26
SpItFiReZ
Registered User
 
SpItFiReZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,541
vCash: 500
I Don't think Toronto would sign everyone i said 3-5 so like 2 forwards n 2-3 defense so really it wouldnt be 89 million dollars or w/e u said
and the payroll was already over 60 million this yr u get rid of the 11 million we save on the lesser free agents we have that brings u down to 50 million.... if we were to sign 20 million worth of free agents for a yr or two and did win the cup we'd make alot of that money back and if not over the next few years all money would be made back still so really for one year of going all out with a few free agetns would be worth it over the next few...even if Toronto wanted to rebuild they don't have enough ppl to step in anyways

SpItFiReZ is offline  
Old
05-08-2004, 12:01 PM
  #27
p.l.f.
mvp
 
p.l.f.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Toronto, CANADA
Posts: 34,910
vCash: 500
im concerned to say the least about what the new cba may have in store

what if its a 40-50 million salary cap with luxury tax?

p.l.f. is offline  
Old
05-08-2004, 12:43 PM
  #28
Hockey_God
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 57
vCash: 500
Typical leaf thinking going for the quick fix every year, how about rebuilding your team and get some younger guys in. Eventually that will benefit you I guaranty it, bring in some younger guys and keep your veterans like Roberts Sundin and Nieuwendyk and let them take them under their wings and in a couple years the team will gain chemistry and be a great contender for years to come wihtout all that salary.

Hockey_God is offline  
Old
05-08-2004, 01:44 PM
  #29
RyanM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Sydney
Country: Canada
Posts: 989
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PepNCheese
What????

8 MILLION for Glen Murray?

What are you smoking, and can I please buy some from you?
He's scored a lot of goals over the last couple seasons, I could see him getting 7-8 on the open market.

RyanM is offline  
Old
05-08-2004, 01:48 PM
  #30
MLSE
Registered User
 
MLSE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,137
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey_God
Typical leaf thinking going for the quick fix every year, how about rebuilding your team and get some younger guys in. Eventually that will benefit you I guaranty it, bring in some younger guys and keep your veterans like Roberts Sundin and Nieuwendyk and let them take them under their wings and in a couple years the team will gain chemistry and be a great contender for years to come wihtout all that salary.
Typical leaf hater that doesn't realize a lot of leaf fans in this thread disagree with the going for it all plan and do realize it is costly and not going to happen.

MLSE is offline  
Old
05-08-2004, 01:53 PM
  #31
SpItFiReZ
Registered User
 
SpItFiReZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,541
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey_God
Typical leaf thinking going for the quick fix every year, how about rebuilding your team and get some younger guys in. Eventually that will benefit you I guaranty it, bring in some younger guys and keep your veterans like Roberts Sundin and Nieuwendyk and let them take them under their wings and in a couple years the team will gain chemistry and be a great contender for years to come wihtout all that salary.
There is no way Toronto can afford to rebuild....if they are going to rebuild next yr Neiwy, Roberts, Belfour, Klee wont resign and who relistically can step in and take there places? Telly? Not yet needs to be seasoned under a Belfour type first, Colaicavo could step in and be somewhat effective but bring what Klee did? I don' Know however he will be a good defenseman. Whose going to take over for the heart Roberts brings? Whose going to be Niewy in the playoffs next yr?
Toronto just does not have the assests to rebuild yet....they dont even have a first rounder this year and steen wont be over next yr so this is my point wait another year stock up with picks and not trade them for next years draft....then start to rebuild...that gives T.O a goalie who learned a yr from one of the ebst in the game belfour if resigned, stajan learns from neiwy as stajan is a mainstay on the top 3 lines... Colaciaovo will learn from the defense and Steen learns from the players on MoDo...so why not go one more year while all other teams are rebuilding or are not as strong as they were this year?

SpItFiReZ is offline  
Old
05-08-2004, 01:55 PM
  #32
SpItFiReZ
Registered User
 
SpItFiReZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,541
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tml4life
Typical leaf hater that doesn't realize a lot of leaf fans in this thread disagree with the going for it all plan and do realize it is costly and not going to happen.
Odds are it wont happen obvz but it could work if they are willing to spend and were able to get free agents to sign one year deals and then rebuild after the next
obviosuly this wont happen but if it could it would be a way to go and yes I know this probably wont but next year wouldn't be a bad year to be going for the cup with many teams rebuilding or losing key players and anyways what are the odds if there is no CBA in place yet as well who is going to be signing free agents to large contracts with no CBA in place

SpItFiReZ is offline  
Old
05-08-2004, 02:11 PM
  #33
RyanM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Sydney
Country: Canada
Posts: 989
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpItFiReZ
There is no way Toronto can afford to rebuild....if they are going to rebuild next yr Neiwy, Roberts, Belfour, Klee wont resign and who relistically can step in and take there places? Telly? Not yet needs to be seasoned under a Belfour type first, Colaicavo could step in and be somewhat effective but bring what Klee did? I don' Know however he will be a good defenseman. Whose going to take over for the heart Roberts brings? Whose going to be Niewy in the playoffs next yr?
Toronto just does not have the assests to rebuild yet....they dont even have a first rounder this year and steen wont be over next yr so this is my point wait another year stock up with picks and not trade them for next years draft....then start to rebuild...that gives T.O a goalie who learned a yr from one of the ebst in the game belfour if resigned, stajan learns from neiwy as stajan is a mainstay on the top 3 lines... Colaciaovo will learn from the defense and Steen learns from the players on MoDo...so why not go one more year while all other teams are rebuilding or are not as strong as they were this year?
Is it really THAT bad to just suck for a year, folks? Why not pull a Washington, let all the UFA's walk then trade the vets and hope the balls bounce our way in the lottery.

Everyone is so worried about being bad, that they fail to see the advantages to sucking for a couple years in a row. We have a chance to blow it up, give the young guys lots of ice, and go for an absolutely amazing talent in the 05 draft by the name of Sidney Crosby.

And you don't need Steen here and you don't need a 1st rounder right now to rebuild right now.

RyanM is offline  
Old
05-08-2004, 03:05 PM
  #34
SpItFiReZ
Registered User
 
SpItFiReZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,541
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanM
Is it really THAT bad to just suck for a year, folks? Why not pull a Washington, let all the UFA's walk then trade the vets and hope the balls bounce our way in the lottery.

Everyone is so worried about being bad, that they fail to see the advantages to sucking for a couple years in a row. We have a chance to blow it up, give the young guys lots of ice, and go for an absolutely amazing talent in the 05 draft by the name of Sidney Crosby.

And you don't need Steen here and you don't need a 1st rounder right now to rebuild right now.
Toronto won't rebuild like Washington....it won't happen...Maple Leaf Entertainment won't let it, Media won't let it, Fan's wont let it...so odds of it happening are really slim...Who says Crosby is going to be that good anyways? along with him not being so good there are good odds we wouldnt get him anyways with the lottery.

SpItFiReZ is offline  
Old
05-08-2004, 03:26 PM
  #35
RyanM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Sydney
Country: Canada
Posts: 989
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpItFiReZ
Toronto won't rebuild like Washington....it won't happen...Maple Leaf Entertainment won't let it, Media won't let it, Fan's wont let it...so odds of it happening are really slim...Who says Crosby is going to be that good anyways? along with him not being so good there are good odds we wouldnt get him anyways with the lottery.
If the team does not rebuild they'll never win a Stanley Cup. I think it's that simple now. Belfour just can't get it done(pains me to say that, but it is true) with that team and there are no other goalies out there capable that we can get.

And i'm saying Crosby is going to be that good. I've seen him play, he is what might turn the NHL into an exciting sport again. He's THAT good. There is no guarantee, but it cant happen by losing in round 1 or 2 again. But it seems like you all enjoy that.

RyanM is offline  
Old
05-08-2004, 05:43 PM
  #36
MLSE
Registered User
 
MLSE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,137
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanM
If the team does not rebuild they'll never win a Stanley Cup. I think it's that simple now. Belfour just can't get it done(pains me to say that, but it is true) with that team and there are no other goalies out there capable that we can get.

And i'm saying Crosby is going to be that good. I've seen him play, he is what might turn the NHL into an exciting sport again. He's THAT good. There is no guarantee, but it cant happen by losing in round 1 or 2 again. But it seems like you all enjoy that.
The chances of us getting Crosby are so so so slim, if we rebuild theres still going to be teams worse, and then whats the chance of getting the 1st pick to get Crosby.... Slim.... and then even if we beat all the odds and get Crosby will he be the answer to our Stanley cup problems? Will he give us a better chance then we do right now? We had over 100 points this year, we would have done better if Belfour wasn't hurt.

If we improve our team a little more through Free Agency we can do even better and maybe win the cup, this years draft is weak and there is point of rebuilding this year or years to come when Crosby is around.

I would love to have Crosby but the chances of getting him and then him winning us a cup all in one are slim.


Last edited by MLSE: 05-08-2004 at 05:48 PM.
MLSE is offline  
Old
05-09-2004, 12:25 AM
  #37
RyanM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Sydney
Country: Canada
Posts: 989
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tml4life
The chances of us getting Crosby are so so so slim, if we rebuild theres still going to be teams worse, and then whats the chance of getting the 1st pick to get Crosby.... Slim.... and then even if we beat all the odds and get Crosby will he be the answer to our Stanley cup problems? Will he give us a better chance then we do right now? We had over 100 points this year, we would have done better if Belfour wasn't hurt.

If we improve our team a little more through Free Agency we can do even better and maybe win the cup, this years draft is weak and there is point of rebuilding this year or years to come when Crosby is around.

I would love to have Crosby but the chances of getting him and then him winning us a cup all in one are slim.
Don't get me wrong, i'm not saying we need to rebuild because Crosby is there. I'm saying he's yet another reason why now is the best time to blow things up. I know the odds, but with someone that good I think you take your chances. Even if you finish bottom 7 or 8 you're getting a solid future player any year if you know how to draft. But I think the best way to win is to get a couple of them to build around.

RyanM is offline  
Old
05-09-2004, 12:43 AM
  #38
leafaholix*
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Ron Hainsey is King!
Country: Botswana
Posts: 22,934
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanM
Don't get me wrong, i'm not saying we need to rebuild because Crosby is there. I'm saying he's yet another reason why now is the best time to blow things up. I know the odds, but with someone that good I think you take your chances. Even if you finish bottom 7 or 8 you're getting a solid future player any year if you know how to draft. But I think the best way to win is to get a couple of them to build around.
Hmm... you blow it up this summer... and there's no 2004/05 season... then what?

leafaholix* is offline  
Old
05-09-2004, 12:53 AM
  #39
Don Draper
Registered User
 
Don Draper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: ottawa
Posts: 3,004
vCash: 500
yeh, simple, just tear the team down, and rebuild with top picks. Maybe you would be so lucky to have to luck of ottawa and draft the apparent best player in 4 consecutive drafts. Of course, who wouldnt be lucky enough to draft Yashin, Daigle, Bonk and Berard in consecutive years. That is a dynasty waiting to happen! As sarcastic as that was, Ottawa drafted about as well as you can expect any team to draft over 4 consecutive drafts. The moral of the story, you may think its that easy to just tear it up and get top level talent for a few years. Well, you dont know how that talent is going to turn out. You may get a Yashin, great talent, no playoff success. You may get a daigle, great tools, no ethic. Bonk, all the tools, sometimes put to work. Or berard, freak accident slows a promising career. So, as a Sens fan, i would say stick with what you have as long as you can, give it another 1-3 tries, see if you can get it done. There is no reason to blow it up when your best player is playing in his prime.

I would say give the lindros angle a shot, try at a top RW sniper to replace ALMO, hope that Eddie Gary Joe all want to play. Sign Matvichuk, and get another old vet who just wants to win. This team was too injured during the playoffs, like most seasons, but they do have the pieces to make a run if they got some luck. every team needs luck to win it all though

Don Draper is offline  
Old
05-09-2004, 01:09 AM
  #40
leafaholix*
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Ron Hainsey is King!
Country: Botswana
Posts: 22,934
vCash: 500
Ottawa's had as much success in the draft since making the playoffs in 1997 then they did as a bottom 5 team, when they were selecting within the top 5.

Players they have drafted as a playoff team...

1997 Draft...

Marian Hossa
Jani Hurme
Josh Langfeld
Magnus Arvedson
Karel Rachunek

1998 Draft...

Mike Fisher
Chris Neil

1999 Draft...

Martin Havlat (26th)
Martin Prusek (164th)

2000 Draft...

Anton Volchenkov (21st)
Antoine Vermette (55th)

2001 Draft...

Jason Spezza (trade for Yashin)
Tim Gleason (23rd, traded for Smolinski)
Ray Emery (99th)
Brooks Laich (193rd, traded for Bondra)

2002 Draft...

Jakub Klepis (16th, traded for Varada)

It's not a matter of blowing the thing up, it's a matter of drafting well. The Leafs can easily buy a team, get eliminated in the 2nd round every season, and still manage to build one of the top systems in the NHL.

leafaholix* is offline  
Old
05-09-2004, 01:39 AM
  #41
Don Draper
Registered User
 
Don Draper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: ottawa
Posts: 3,004
vCash: 500
great points!

Don Draper is offline  
Old
05-09-2004, 08:16 AM
  #42
Joey24
Registered User
 
Joey24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New Zealand
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 5,463
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Joey24
This is what I would do if the management was willing to open the purses.

1st: Bring in one of the leagues best desensive forwards who also has some
offensive punch and loads of speed. *John Madden*

2nd: Bring in a top line LW to play with Sundin. *Paul Kariya*

3rd: Bring in a solid backup to give Belfour some rest *Felix Potvin*

4th: Bring in a top knotch scorring power Forward. *Glen Muarray or Zigmund Palffy or Alexei Kovalev*

5th: Bring in a ruggid LW who can do it all score, defend, leadership and someone who can take pressure off Roberts in the physical department. *Brendan Shanahan*

5th: Bring in some solid Defensmen. *Alexei Zhitnik, Richard Matvichuk.

6th: Toronto brings back the core of their Free agents and signs the key restricted ones also.: *Ed Belfou, Ken Klee, Joe Nieuwendyk, Gary Roberts, Aki Berg, Tomas Kaberle, Bryan McCabe, Alexei Ponikarovsky, Mikael Tellqvist, Darcy Tucker, Nik Antropov*

So I would have lines such as:
----------------Forwards----------------
Kariya - Sundin - Palffy/Kovalev/Muarray.
Shannahan - Madden - Nolan
Roberts - Nieuwendyk - Mogilny
Tucker - Stajan - Domi
Extras: Ponikarovsky, Whilm, Belak, etc.
-----------------Defense----------------
Leetch - McCabe
Zhitnik - Kaberle
Klee - Matvichuk
extras:
Berg, Marchment, etc...
--------------Goaltending--------------
Ed Belfour - Felix Potvin.

If you couldn't win a cup with that team it would be time to give up.

Joey24 is offline  
Old
05-09-2004, 08:21 AM
  #43
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas
 
Volcanologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Kessel Apocalypse
Country: Germany
Posts: 20,484
vCash: 500
Quote:
1st: Bring in one of the leagues best desensive forwards who also has some
offensive punch and loads of speed. *John Madden*

2nd: Bring in a top line LW to play with Sundin. *Paul Kariya*

3rd: Bring in a solid backup to give Belfour some rest *Felix Potvin*

4th: Bring in a top knotch scorring power Forward. *Glen Muarray or Zigmund Palffy or Alexei Kovalev*

5th: Bring in a ruggid LW who can do it all score, defend, leadership and someone who can take pressure off Roberts in the physical department. *Brendan Shanahan*

5th: Bring in some solid Defensmen. *Alexei Zhitnik, Richard Matvichuk.

6th: Toronto brings back the core of their Free agents and signs the key restricted ones also.: *Ed Belfou, Ken Klee, Joe Nieuwendyk, Gary Roberts, Aki Berg, Tomas Kaberle, Bryan McCabe, Alexei Ponikarovsky, Mikael Tellqvist, Darcy Tucker, Nik Antropov*
Wouldn't that cost a bajillion dollars?


Volcanologist is offline  
Old
05-09-2004, 08:30 AM
  #44
p.l.f.
mvp
 
p.l.f.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Toronto, CANADA
Posts: 34,910
vCash: 500
all out
didnt i hear this least year

p.l.f. is offline  
Old
05-09-2004, 08:52 AM
  #45
Joey24
Registered User
 
Joey24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New Zealand
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 5,463
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Joey24
Quote:
Originally Posted by PepNCheese
Wouldn't that cost a bajillion dollars?

Who knows but as I stated in the beginning of my thread if the management is willing to open the purses to go all out for a cup this year then that's the team I would like to see. We all know it won't happen but would be nice if It did.

Joey24 is offline  
Old
05-09-2004, 09:35 AM
  #46
Joey24
Registered User
 
Joey24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New Zealand
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 5,463
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Joey24
Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f.
all out
didnt i hear this least year
Think we have all been hearing it since free agency became the big thing in the NHL ahhh well it is nice to dream right????

Joey24 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:02 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.