HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

What if canadian teams created their own league?

Old
04-18-2010, 07:26 AM
ReVeuF

vCash: 500
What if canadian teams created their own league?

I am pretty sure it was discussed but maybe not lately. What would happen to the NHL if the 6 canadian teams leave and form another league ?

I think the NHL will die personnally and the cap will lower a lot before that.

6 teams (20%) generating over 30% revenues, this is without counting the TV contracts (basically mean Versus and local only). TSN would broadcast the Canadian teams, CBC we know they will be, RDS same...

So I do not understand why the canadian teams do not use their power to force the NHL to move teams in Canada. Hell if just the Habs and the Leafs leave the NHL it will make a big hole financially...

ReVeuF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2010, 07:29 AM
TheNextOneX

And what if indeed.....

TheNextOneX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2010, 07:32 AM
ReVeuF

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/montreal/st...es-canada.html

ReVeuF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2010, 08:45 AM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 286
The NHL section of HF would be a lot more bearable.

Going Back to Cally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2010, 08:48 AM
MHX
Hockey Makes Us...

Very interesting. I imagine the league would be very successful and probably stronger than the CFL?

What would the conferences look like?

East: Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, Quebec
West: Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg

Maybe Hamilton in the East and Saskatchewan on the West?

MHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2010, 09:15 AM
hockeydadx2*

If it were truly a good idea, it would already have been done.

hockeydadx2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2010, 12:03 PM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

What would happen if we Canadians finally got this silly chip off our shoulders?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReVeuF View Post
Care to show your math on this one?

Quote:
So I do not understand why the canadian teams do not use their power to force the NHL to move teams in Canada. Hell if just the Habs and the Leafs leave the NHL it will make a big hole financially...
When did Canadian teams get more than one vote each? And what do existing Canadian teams stand to gain by getting more Canadian teams? Five of six Canadian teams already sell out 41 home dates a year - will they get super-duper sellouts with more Canadian teams?

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2010, 12:36 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
I am pretty sure it was discussed but maybe not lately. What would happen to the NHL if the 6 canadian teams leave and form another league ?

6 teams (20%) generating over 30% revenues, this is without counting the TV contracts (basically mean Versus and local only). TSN would broadcast the Canadian teams, CBC we know they will be, RDS same...

Considering that the NHL owns the the rights to all the names, player contracts through the CBA etc. and has contracts with all of the networks, they couldn't do it. The owners could however give up their franchises, and form brand new teams, with different players.

The six Canadian teams would still exist in the NHL, have a the CBC/RDS/TSN/Rogers contracts and revenues. This new league would have no media contracts, very few of the existing players (only UFA's would be available) and would be starting from scratch.

Would you pay to see say the Montreal "Maroons" with mostly AHL type players? Would RDS, CBC, TSN and Rogers want to pay big money for essentially minor league hockey, while the Habs, Leafs, Canucks etc are still playing with NHL TV contracts and the current players?

This comes up regularly, and while it's a nice romantic fantasy, it's just that a fantasy. The result would be something more like the WHA at best.

TaketheCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2010, 01:04 PM
wombat

Quote:
So I do not understand why the canadian teams do not use their power to force the NHL to move teams in Canada
Um, because why should the Sens, Canucks, etc, give a damn about adding more teams to Canada? Why would they care in the slightest? If anything new teams means new competitors who can siphon off supporters.

Quote:
Hell if just the Habs and the Leafs leave the NHL it will make a big hole financially...
Right and of course the Habs and Leafs would commit suicide and entirely ruin themselves as they form their mickey mouse league.

Quote:
6 teams (20%) generating over 30% revenues
This figure keeps being repeated but its misleading the reason the figure is so high is because the Leafs are a financial powerhouse and besides I don't understand how this is relevant in illustrating that future cities will be as successful. When discussing Winnipeg or Hamilton local factors such as arena deals and corporate support decide whether they would be successful, not the success of the 6 Canadian teams.

I don't understand this thread at all. Seems some people would prefer to destroy the best league in the world out of spite rather than let other people enjoy the sport of hockey south of the border. What if someone started a thread calling for the Rangers, Hawks, Wings, Bruins, Flyers, and Pens (once they get their arena) to leave the NHL and form their own league the NHL to have more American teams?

wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2010, 01:10 PM
Dado

vCash:
There are some terrific US hockey towns - why would I want to exclude those?

What I'd rather see is a 20-team North American conference and a 20-team European conference.

Old
04-18-2010, 01:23 PM
buyinnow

[QUOTE=Dado;25265574]There are some terrific US hockey towns - why would I want to exclude those?
QUOTE]

Minnesota is as much hockey as Canada is.

buyinnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2010, 01:45 PM
htpwn

Quote:
The better question should be "Why don't the Leafs and Habs make their own league?" because those two teams likely make up most of that 31%.

htpwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2010, 02:10 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haymaker View Post
What would happen if we Canadians finally got this silly chip off our shoulders?

Care to show your math on this one?

When did Canadian teams get more than one vote each? And what do existing Canadian teams stand to gain by getting more Canadian teams? Five of six Canadian teams already sell out 41 home dates a year - will they get super-duper sellouts with more Canadian teams?

Toronto wants an NFL team. Some Americans (not on this board) have a chip on their shoulder. Do you support NFL teams to Toronto (and Ottawa) they are new markets to that game after all.

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2010, 02:12 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeydadx2 View Post
If it were truly a good idea, it would already have been done.
It was done. It was called the NHL

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/l...l19271918.html

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/l...l19271921.html

Old
04-18-2010, 03:15 PM
htpwn

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindrosfan88 View Post
Off topic but I believe Toronto not Montreal won the 1918 Stanley Cup.

htpwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2010, 03:49 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
The six Canadian teams can't leave the NHL so it's moot to discuss any potential ramifications of such an action. The NHL teams are not like states in America. They don't have the power to secede from the Union.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2010, 04:26 PM
Seth Rollins
Mr Money In The Bank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haymaker View Post
Just out of sheer curiousity, which is the lone Canadian team that doesn't sell out 41 home games a year?

Seth Rollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2010, 04:29 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Habs Fan View Post
Just out of sheer curiousity, which is the lone Canadian team that doesn't sell out 41 home games a year?
According to ESPN's attendance numbers, Ottawa.

Old
04-18-2010, 04:52 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by htpwn View Post
Off topic but I believe Toronto not Montreal won the 1918 Stanley Cup.

lol Look what you've done! Now people will say the Leafs only won when there was six teams in the league!

Old
04-18-2010, 05:16 PM
Kaientai

Let' say that it did happen and the six Canadian teams would secede and form their own league.....and for arguments sake took the Cup with them. Here is a scenario then......the remaining American teams streamline and then have their own league. Which would be more profitable? In theory, the American one would due to the sheer numbers of the US (even if it is only supported in the Northern cities). More money = better players. Thus the elite Canadian players would likely go to the American league. Similar to how the elite Europeans play here. For the money. It could result into a hockey equivalent of the CFL (a good league, but devoid of the elite players)

Kaientai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2010, 05:32 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaientai View Post
Let' say that it did happen and the six Canadian teams would secede and form their own league.....and for arguments sake took the Cup with them. Here is a scenario then......the remaining American teams streamline and then have their own league. Which would be more profitable? In theory, the American one would due to the sheer numbers of the US (even if it is only supported in the Northern cities). More money = better players. Thus the elite Canadian players would likely go to the American league. Similar to how the elite Europeans play here. For the money. It could result into a hockey equivalent of the CFL (a good league, but devoid of the elite players)
Anything is possible when you disregard reality.

Old
04-18-2010, 05:59 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaientai View Post
KHL doesn't have a salary cap and would pay premium prices for players. Ovechkin could be making double in the KHL if he wanted to.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2010, 07:12 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Toronto wants an NFL team. Some Americans (not on this board) have a chip on their shoulder. Do you support NFL teams to Toronto (and Ottawa) they are new markets to that game after all.
I see no one has answered this. I rest my case.

Old
04-18-2010, 07:21 PM
Skobel24
GO IGGY GO!

vCash: 50
Quote:
I don't really see a point to your first post.

Skobel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2010, 08:39 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
I didn't realize that waiting five hours on an international message board was enough time to build and rest a case.

As an American football fan, I'm fine with an NFL team in Toronto. I wouldn't mind seeing teams all across Canada, since I'm convinced that there's enough talent out there that there could be as many as 40 teams in a fairly balanced league.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote