HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

What if canadian teams created their own league?

Old
04-21-2010, 07:24 AM
naturalnumbas

vCash: 500
I've always wondered that. If the CFL can work, why not a pure Canadian hockey league?

As for why Canadian teams don't pressure the league to make more Canadian teams... why would they? I'm sure the owners don't want to do anything that would possibly mess with their monopolistic market share...

I don't think Canadian teams would have any reason to split from the NHL, so a second league would really be the only way. It doesn't even have to be pure Canadian either, I'm sure places like Detroit and New York would be valuable markets. These places have hockey tradition too.

It would be a huge risk to set that up though, and that's probably why it hasn't happened yet. I do think there is potential for success. With the right marketing and media partnership, I don't see why a second hockey league would be any less profitable than the CFL. Obviously I don't have numbers that support this, although I might work on getting them for a school thing.

They could make it unique in a few ways, probably everyone would have different opinions on how. I would like to see the recent rule changes gone, no shootout. Maybe even put in some sort of local talent requirement so that each club would have X% of players that lived/played hockey within a certain boundary around each club for a certain amount of time. That would make it a real Canadian/North US league where you really would be cheering for the home team.

I would ditch the leafs faster than rabbit gets ****ed.

Last edited by naturalnumbas: 04-21-2010 at 07:54 AM.
naturalnumbas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 12:08 PM
KevFist
is best pony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyhopeful View Post
Exactly!

If we were paying $4 a gallon for gas and the guys in Alabama were paying $12 a gallon. They wouldn't be too happy if they were denied a bigger supply to lower their price per gallon. Never mind adding that tuscon was helping us keep our gas prices at $4. Then we add the best line, well you already have gas in Alabama.
We were...it was called hurricane katrina...LOL... Gas here in the Birmingham area went up as high as $10 per gallon before the governor put a cap on it at $3 per gallon, no more than 10 gallons per purchase.....but that's beside the point..LOL

KevFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 01:09 PM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalnumbas View Post
I've always wondered that. If the CFL can work, why not a pure Canadian hockey league?

As for why Canadian teams don't pressure the league to make more Canadian teams... why would they? I'm sure the owners don't want to do anything that would possibly mess with their monopolistic market share...

I don't think Canadian teams would have any reason to split from the NHL, so a second league would really be the only way. It doesn't even have to be pure Canadian either, I'm sure places like Detroit and New York would be valuable markets. These places have hockey tradition too.

It would be a huge risk to set that up though, and that's probably why it hasn't happened yet. I do think there is potential for success. With the right marketing and media partnership, I don't see why a second hockey league would be any less profitable than the CFL. .
I don't see why a second hockey league would be any less profitable than the NHL.

8 to 10 teams would work. Rumor has it an NHL franchise in S. Ontario is worth 300 million. An expansion franchise anywhere else in Canada the NHL would want 200 million. So the deal for a new startup league would be, save the franchise fee it's free, just build the arena (use the 200 million you would have spent on a franchise fee for the NHL) 15,000 seat arenas that the team owns, seems like solid footing. Now bid against the NHL for the best players. Lets see if I had a choice of the Leafs or a new team with a player like Stamkos, Nash etc. Where would I go to watch?

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 01:17 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
I don't see why a second hockey league would be any less profitable than the NHL.

8 to 10 teams would work. Rumor has it an NHL franchise in S. Ontario is worth 300 million. An expansion franchise anywhere else in Canada the NHL would want 200 million. So the deal for a new startup league would be, save the franchise fee it's free, just build the arena (use the 200 million you would have spent on a franchise fee for the NHL) 15,000 seat arenas that the team owns, seems like solid footing. Now bid against the NHL for the best players. Lets see if I had a choice of the Leafs or a new team with a player like Stamkos, Nash etc. Where would I go to watch?
You might want to ask the WHA how this movie ends.

kdb209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 01:25 PM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209 View Post
You might want to ask the WHA how this movie ends.
I guess if history repeats at least 3 more NHL teams for Canada. Not a bad return. They can enter into some agreement that if they get swallowed up by the NHL they all become partners

Old
04-21-2010, 01:26 PM
Palinka

Quote:

You can watch Nash in Columbus like everyone else can do. If he really wanted to play in Toronto, he would have played out the season and signed as a UFA. The fact that he didn't in spite of growing up a Leafs fan, being from the area, and having family in the area is pretty much all you need to know.

Palinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 01:40 PM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palinka View Post
You can watch Nash in Columbus like everyone else can do. If he really wanted to play in Toronto, he would have played out the season and signed as a UFA. The fact that he didn't in spite of growing up a Leafs fan, being from the area, and having family in the area is pretty much all you need to know.
That's what I'm talking about, at least half the people are Anti Leafs here. Plenty room for a serious team

Old
04-21-2010, 03:10 PM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

It would be a huge risk to set that up though, and that's probably why it hasn't happened yet. I do think there is potential for success. With the right marketing and media partnership, I don't see why a second hockey league would be any less profitable than the CFL. Obviously I don't have numbers that support this, although I might work on getting them for a school thing.

They could make it unique in a few ways, probably everyone would have different opinions on how. I would like to see the recent rule changes gone, no shootout. Maybe even put in some sort of local talent requirement so that each club would have X% of players that lived/played hockey within a certain boundary around each club for a certain amount of time. That would make it a real Canadian/North US league where you really would be cheering for the home team.

I would ditch the leafs faster than rabbit gets ****ed.
Wow. I'd hardly call the CFL successful. Any league that can't find an owner for a team in its biggest market and has to allow it to be bought by one of the other team owners is not successful in my mind. And remember the average CFL salary is about $45,000 CAD (although starters average about $60,000-$120,000).

rojac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 04:59 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

They have a Canadian hockey league. It's called the Canadian Hockey League.

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 05:06 PM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
They have a Canadian hockey league. It's called the Canadian Hockey League.
At present it encompasses everyone that plays hockey. We're talking solely pro. league here. Not jr and peewee players

Old
04-21-2010, 05:22 PM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
At present it encompasses everyone that plays hockey. We're talking solely pro. league here. Not jr and peewee players
Well, actually he meant the CHL (Canadian Hockey League) that is made up of the QMJHL, the OHL, and the WHL. I believe you're thinking of the CAHA (or is it just CHA) or maybe it's Hockey Canada these days.

rojac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 02:49 PM
barneyg

Quote:
Will the new CHL eventually try to expand into the US to try to make ends meet?

Will the new CHL need financial help from the NHL, like the CFL did in 1997 (received a no-interest loan from the NFL)?

..and best of all, will the new CHL have 2 separate teams with the same name for 40 years?

barneyg is offline   Reply With Quote