Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > ECHL and other Minor Pro Leagues

Federal Hockey League

Closed Thread

Old
06-08-2011, 03:08 PM
FrancoRussianAlaskan
Liter-a-cola

vCash: 500
It's been back up. It was only down for about half a day and has been back up since.

Old
06-08-2011, 03:10 PM
arlingtonway

The whole situation is really getting confusing, It'd be nice if the league clarified. As a side note it looks like Rome is being picked clean.

:Rome 06/07/11 Agild, Niklas (LW) traded to Niagara Falls
:Rome 06/07/11 Varga, Tibor (F) traded to Niagara Falls
:Rome 06/07/11 Roberts, Kyle (D) traded to Niagara Falls
:Rome 06/07/11 Nucci, Vincent (LW) traded to Niagara Falls
:Rome 06/07/11 Vasquez, Jose (C) traded to Niagara Falls
:Rome 06/07/11 Fidler, Leland (D) traded to Niagara Falls
:Rome 06/07/11 Monte, Anthony (RW) traded to Danbury
:Rome 06/07/11 Gustafsson, Marcus (C) traded to 1000 Islands

LINK

Old
06-08-2011, 11:24 PM
arlingtonway

according to this article (LINK) the Nationals are the relocted Rome Frenzy

"The franchise instead has been moved to Niagara Falls, Ont., and will be known as the Nationals"

Which should settle the discussions about Rome still being around, but if the team was a relocation of Rome why where they apart of the expansion draft, and why did they just trade for players off of Rome's protected list? If the franchise was a relocation then all the players on Rome's protected list become property of the Nationals.

Am I misunderstanding how this type of thing normally works or is the FHL making it up as they go along?

Old
06-09-2011, 06:06 AM
billycanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by arlingtonway View Post

"The franchise instead has been moved to Niagara Falls, Ont., and will be known as the Nationals"

Which should settle the discussions about Rome still being around, but if the team was a relocation of Rome why where they apart of the expansion draft, and why did they just trade for players off of Rome's protected list? If the franchise was a relocation then all the players on Rome's protected list become property of the Nationals.

Am I misunderstanding how this type of thing normally works or is the FHL making it up as they go along?

Making it up as they go along. So maybe the draft was a Expansion/Relocation draft and they forgot to include the expansion Green Mountain Rock Crushers?

"Relocated" always sounds better than "Folded"

Old
06-09-2011, 06:18 AM
Kapn Kaveman

Wikipedia says that the Nationals are an expansion team and that Rome is Defunct ...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Hockey_League

I really thought the FHL would try to get a afew Midwest teams to cut down on Danville's travels ...

Old
06-09-2011, 06:24 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Billy has some connections, lets just say internally the leagues a MESS but they will be able to go forward, it's nothing AAHL drastic i'm sure...they just don't have their acts together in house.

Old
06-09-2011, 12:27 PM
FrancoRussianAlaskan
Liter-a-cola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapn Kaveman View Post
Wikipedia says that the Nationals are an expansion team and that Rome is Defunct ...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Hockey_League

I really thought the FHL would try to get a afew Midwest teams to cut down on Danville's travels ...
Case closed. Most reputable source ever.

Old
06-09-2011, 12:45 PM
billycanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Panda Bolt View Post
Case closed. Most reputable source ever.

"When in doubt, Wikipedia will figure out"

Looks like Elmira can expect some FHL talent in their lineup,
Quote:
Bingham (new head coach) considers recruiting talent a major part of his job.

He said he wants some veterans who aren't looking to move up to the AHL, and he believes the Class A Federal Hockey League will provide depth. Nichols filled roster spots last season with FHL call-ups.

"Those guys will give you everything they've got," Bingham said.
http://www.stargazette.com/article/2...xt|FRONTPAGE|p

Old
06-09-2011, 02:56 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by billycanuck View Post

"When in doubt, Wikipedia will figure out"

Looks like Elmira can expect some FHL talent in their lineup,

http://www.stargazette.com/article/2...xt|FRONTPAGE|p
Hey on Wiki I found out the hogs and blackhawks had a 10 year affiliation agreement!

Not overly thrilled about this if he's intending to sign some for a whole season....

I know Nichols used some late in the season for bodies and short term they are a fix but don't work long term.

Old
06-09-2011, 04:10 PM
Cornwall OHL
That's my O face.

Quote:

The Standard-Freeholder is not always the best for news. They seem to miss the bigger important stories all the time. Also I sent in a letter to the editor calling it a gossipy trash rag, and they actually printed it... slow news day I guess.

Old
06-10-2011, 08:58 AM
billycanuck

The league needs to clarify some issues, one being the Rome/Niagara thing.

On Niagara's website (which is now the Pointstreak site) it says the team completed a "Block Buster" (it's blockbuster btw)trade with the Rome Frenzy. So why would a relocated franchise complete a trade with itself?
Quote:
Niagara Falls, ON - The Nats. grabbed a bunch of scoring talent today in trades with the Rome Frenzy. Second in league scoring Tibor Varga went to the Nats along with the leagues leading goal scorer Vincent Nucci. Top offensive defensemen Leland Fidler also joined the scoring talent of the Nats.Tough Blueliner Kyle Roberts joined the talented crew along with centermen Jose Vasquez who can also put the puck in the net and the quick youngster from Sweden Niklas Agid rounded out the big trade. This team is going for offense.

http://niagarafallsnationals.pointst...s-2/news_27475

Old
06-10-2011, 03:13 PM
billycanuck

Maine Hockey Journal article

This is from June 3, but just came across it today:

http://mainehockeyjournal.com/2011/0...r-an-la-dream/
Quote:
The league (FHL) is scheduled to meet for their league meetings on June 21st with hopes of finalizing a schedule to be released to the public. Richards said that only gives them 10 days to complete a deal to play in Lewiston for this season.
Quote:
Richards (FHL vice president) points to how Lewiston would fit into the FHLs footprint with franchises in Jay, Vermont and Hyannis, Massachusetts. He also indicated that hes held conversations with former Maineiacs owner Mark Just about acquiring the Maineiacs name and logo, if the price was right, in order to maintain brand identity that has been well-established in the community for the last eight years.

Old
06-12-2011, 11:28 PM
HolyRollie

Just received this email from the FHL today. Maybe the forums will provide some more clarification on the league's actions this offseason. Also, the schedule should be out within the next couple weeks.

Quote:
Palm Bay, FL June 12, 2011 - The Federal Hockey League in a never ending attempt to keep our fans informed and our teams aware of what our fans want and need, has started an FHL Fan Forum that is easily accessible from our website (www.thefhl.net) and all team websites.There is a thread for each team as well as the league itself and a few other topics. Feel free to respond to any or all of the threads or even start your own thread. A member of the league staff will monitor all threads and take all constructive criticism seriously as we all appreciate and respect our fans. As always, we appreciate all of our fans and their input. Opening Night is October 28th as the reigning Champion Akwesasne Warriors host the New York Aviators in a rematch of last years Finals. The full schedule will be available by the end of June.

Old
06-13-2011, 02:08 AM
arlingtonway

The fourm has a section for "the frenzy" not the rome frenzy and in it someone says the frenzy "are taking a year off before returning for the 12-13 season"

LINK

so if that' true, I guess that means the Nationals aren't relocated Rome?

I'm so glad the fourm exsists to keep fans informed. All I see this being is a breeding ground for rumors and people who want to bad mouth the league. If they want to keep us more informed how about press release, and not just from the league but from the teams. Didn't the Rock Crushers have a free agent camp this past weekend, how did that go, how many players came where any invited to camp.

The league teamed up with prohockeynews.com a site that hasn't written about them since the end of March. Under News affiliates on the FHL site they list The Hockey Craze and intotheboards.net both of which don't cover the league. There are so many beter ways to keep fans informed.

Last edited by arlingtonway: 06-13-2011 at 02:27 AM. Reason: update
Old
06-13-2011, 05:06 AM
arlingtonway

they posted this on their facebook page

Old
06-13-2011, 06:38 AM
Cornwall OHL
That's my O face.

Quote:

they posted this on their facebook page
I don't mind that logo at all. I'm so happy that they didn't go cartoonish on their logo. It is a step up from the creeper that they had.

This league really needs to hire someone for PR. Information is so hard to come by, and usually I get information off of HF Boards way before the leagues website says anything... if they say anything at all.

Old
06-13-2011, 10:23 AM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornwall OHL View Post
I don't mind that logo at all. I'm so happy that they didn't go cartoonish on their logo. It is a step up from the creeper that they had.

This league really needs to hire someone for PR. Information is so hard to come by, and usually I get information off of HF Boards way before the leagues website says anything... if they say anything at all.
Agreed on both counts... but does a bluefin tuna really have that many fins? It looks like a mutant.

Old
06-13-2011, 10:50 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornwall OHL View Post

For some reason that logo screams baseball and not hockey to me.

Agreed about the PR for the league.

Old
06-13-2011, 02:19 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

This league is becoming like the AAHL. "We have a major announcement" made through Facebook....then they would talk a big game and worry about things that were for the time being out of their grasp. The long term of this league worries me, though A Hockey hardly ever works aside from the SPHL.

Old
06-13-2011, 07:55 PM
ForsbergForever
Red Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Men Rule View Post
This league is becoming like the AAHL. "We have a major announcement" made through Facebook....then they would talk a big game and worry about things that were for the time being out of their grasp. The long term of this league worries me, though A Hockey hardly ever works aside from the SPHL.
I think the problem is that at this level there is just too much instability, every year the league (not just this one but the AAHL and similar A leagues in the past) struggles to cobble together a half dozen or more stable franchises. The markets they serve are generally small to begin with but with this constant uncertainty there is never time to develop a fan following, especially if the team struggles on the ice, there is no chance at success. I do agree however, that things like a professional website and better publicity would help matters. I just think its a shame that lower-tier hockey is such a shambles as it really is a chance to root for the every-man who is desperate to compete, like the sport of a bygone era.

Old
06-14-2011, 03:38 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsbergForever View Post
I think the problem is that at this level there is just too much instability, every year the league (not just this one but the AAHL and similar A leagues in the past) struggles to cobble together a half dozen or more stable franchises. The markets they serve are generally small to begin with but with this constant uncertainty there is never time to develop a fan following, especially if the team struggles on the ice, there is no chance at success. I do agree however, that things like a professional website and better publicity would help matters. I just think its a shame that lower-tier hockey is such a shambles as it really is a chance to root for the every-man who is desperate to compete, like the sport of a bygone era.
Heres what NEEDS to be done. Not likely but....go into arenas(like in Johnstown)that couldn't support ECHL hockey. What Johnstown drew for the ECHL in it's final season should be a healthy total in A Hockey. Also go after a place like Wheeling that has no business still seeing ECHL Hockey. The problem is, will the same people still come out to watch?!

Old
06-14-2011, 11:18 PM
arlingtonway

More good news according to this (LINK)

The Nationals don't have a deal with the Gale Centre yet.

"As of now, it is not confirmed. They have not signed an ice allocation agreement."

Old
06-15-2011, 06:00 AM
ckg927

vCash: 400
Send a message via Yahoo to ckg927
Quote:

"As of now, it is not confirmed. They have not signed an ice allocation agreement."
Plus the same story notes that the Jr. B and Jr. C teams(the Niagara Falls Canucks and Chippawa RiverHawks)brought up the same concerns-that the Nats' arrival will cause a shortage of sponsorships.

Old
06-15-2011, 06:08 AM
billycanuck

Quote:

Quote:
"There are only so many available sponsors."

Niagara Falls junior B Canucks head coach and co-owner Terry Masterson echoed Auld's concerns.

"This is not a hugely populated area. There will be ice time conflicts and we'll be fighting for sponsorships.

"Making it work will be close to impossible."
This echos my concern about the market being over populated and the pro team competing with the Jr.B and Jr.C teams that are already established in the area.
Quote:
The media relations head said that the issues surrounding concessions and board advertising revenue remained unsettled, but he was confident that they would be resolved.
Also, concessions and advertising revenue are crucial for the survival of a team. Without those, the team will not last.

If and when the team finally signs the ice time agreement, they are not going to have a dressing room? What kind of a pro team doesn't have their own dressing room?

Old
06-15-2011, 06:33 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by billycanuck View Post
This echos my concern about the market being over populated and the pro team competing with the Jr.B and Jr.C teams that are already established in the area.

Also, concessions and advertising revenue are crucial for the survival of a team. Without those, the team will not last.

If and when the team finally signs the ice time agreement, they are not going to have a dressing room? What kind of a pro team doesn't have their own dressing room?
LMAO, are you for real here? They DON'T have a locker room? Wow, this is destined for disaster. I honestly see no reason for these turkeys to go ahead on this venture. Where will they dress before games and meet at intermission? The nearest 7-11?!

Closed Thread