Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > ECHL and other Minor Pro Leagues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Federal Hockey League

Closed Thread

Old
06-21-2011, 08:57 PM
Heat McManus

vCash: 500
Michelson will play for Danville when they are in Danbury as an enforcer.

Old
06-22-2011, 08:36 AM
billycanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heat McManus View Post
Michelson will play for Danville when they are in Danbury as an enforcer.

And Danbury will dress Ogie Oglethorpe for the Danville games.

*Link to actor's HockeyDB stats that played Ogie

Last edited by billycanuck: 06-22-2011 at 08:41 AM.
Old
06-22-2011, 06:52 PM
Heat McManus

just as probable as a 40 yr old quitting his day job and relocating to Illinois to play for Danville.

Old
06-22-2011, 09:43 PM
wildcat48
HFB Partner

The FHL released highlights from their Annual Summer Meetings...

The League will operate as an eight team league.
Akwesasne
Danville
Danbury
New York
New Jersey
Cape Cod
1000 Islands
Niagara Falls

Rome will not operate, but will mantain in good standing. No mention of the Jay franchise. I've heard they missed league payments and the franchise was revoked. I still need to speak with the league to confirm that.

Three changes to the league including a new playoff format.
Quote:
1) Playing rosters this year will allow for a total of 20 contracted players of which 18 are fully contracted players and 2 players will be on a Reserve per game basis. Teams will be allowed to dress 18 players for each game.

2) This season the FHL will be using the Olympic 3 Point System. For those not familiar with this system I will try to be brief but factual. All games are worth 3 points. A WIN in regulation will be worth 3 points. A WIN in OT or a Shootout will be worth 2 points and a LOSS in OT or a Shootout will be worth 1 point. One of the main ideas behind this was to permit all teams to be in the hunt for a playoff spot longer into the season. This will force coaches not to sit back late in a game knowing that they will get at least 1 point if they go into OT or a Shootout. Just think if in the last game of the season a team is 3 points out of a playoff spot where 2 points doesn't get you in and you are tied with just a few minutes left in the game. How exciting would a 6 on 5 be to get a goal and make the playoffs?

3) This season 6 teams will make the Playoffs. Please follow closely as this will not be your normal format. In Series "A" Team 1 will play team 6 in a Best of 5 series with the winner advancing to the Championship Round. In Series "B" Team 2 will play Team 5 in a Best of 3 series and in Series "C" Team 3 will play Team 4 in a Best of 3 series. The winner of Series "B" and Series "C" will play each other in Series "D" which is a Best of 3 series. This will have Series "A" & "D" end within a day or so of each other. The winner of Series "A" will play the winner of series "D" in a best of 7 series.
I'm ok with the roster size and revamped points system, but the playoff format is just too confusing.

Old
06-22-2011, 09:46 PM
HolyRollie

Just received an email from the FHL recapping the Annual Meeting highlights. A couple of interesting changes and updates to the league in game officiating, point system, and playoff set-up. Quote below is the opening paragraph introducing the new teams and the situation with the Frenzy for the 2011-12 season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FHL Email View Post
The FHL Annual Meeting concluded on Tuesday June 21st on a high note. The FHL will be fielding an 8 team league for the 11-12 campaign. The Frenzy will not be fielding a team this coming season but will remain a member of the FHL in good standing. New for the upcoming season are the "Danville Dashers" from Danville IL, the" New Jersey Outlaws" from Wayne NJ and the "Niagara Falls Nationals" from Niagara Falls ON.

Old
06-22-2011, 09:54 PM
HolyRollie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat48 View Post
I'm ok with the roster size and revamped points system, but the playoff format is just too confusing.
I had to write it down and it still seems like chaos.

Old
06-22-2011, 10:39 PM
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked

Do you have linkage for this?(I'm guessing it's on the league site, haven't logged on yet)

Holy smokes, that playoff format is messed up.

Oh yeah, Danville on an Island, this will end swell.

The Rock Crushers basically held a worthless camp then?

What happened to Cincinnati?

LOL, the Frenzy are in "good standing"?

Last edited by Sports Enthusiast: 06-22-2011 at 11:32 PM.
Old
06-22-2011, 10:53 PM
arlingtonway

Here's the league meeting recap via the FHL site

LINK

Old
06-22-2011, 11:31 PM
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by arlingtonway View Post
Here's the league meeting recap via the FHL site

LINK
Thanks, and they said the info wouldn't be released until Friday the 24th. They did something ahead of schedule?!

Old
06-23-2011, 10:01 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat48 View Post
The FHL released highlights from their Annual Summer Meetings...

The League will operate as an eight team league.
Akwesasne
Danville
Danbury
New York
New Jersey
Cape Cod
1000 Islands
Niagara Falls

Rome will not operate, but will mantain in good standing. No mention of the Jay franchise. I've heard they missed league payments and the franchise was revoked. I still need to speak with the league to confirm that.

Three changes to the league including a new playoff format.

Agreed with the playoff format. If they want to open it up to more than 4 teams, why not have 4 and 5 play a best of 3 for the 4th spot, then best of 5 in the semi-finals, best of 7 in the finals?

I will say I like the new points system and would like to see other leagues adopt it. A regulation win should be worth more than a SO win.

Old
06-23-2011, 11:32 AM
Behind the Bench

FHL Playoff Formta

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Agreed with the playoff format. If they want to open it up to more than 4 teams, why not have 4 and 5 play a best of 3 for the 4th spot, then best of 5 in the semi-finals, best of 7 in the finals?

I will say I like the new points system and would like to see other leagues adopt it. A regulation win should be worth more than a SO win.
The new format is identical to the SPHL except the final series is a seven game vs a five game series.

Old
06-23-2011, 11:32 AM
eggy2486
Hitman #6

ugh, thats the way the SPHL runs their playoffs, why do these guys avoid first round byes? You have the same number of playoff series in both models, I would prefer it as 1st and 2nd get byes, 3v6 and 4v5 for the other two semifinal spots

Old
06-23-2011, 11:47 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behind the Bench View Post
The new format is identical to the SPHL except the final series is a seven game vs a five game series.
Doesn't make it better. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Old
06-23-2011, 11:59 AM
eggy2486
Hitman #6

they're basically rewarding a team for finishing 6th, they just have to win one series to play in the final, meanwhile 2nd (thru 5th) place has to win two series to get in .. so what's the incentive for that 6th place team to try and finish 5th?

Old
06-23-2011, 12:22 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggy2486 View Post
they're basically rewarding a team for finishing 6th, they just have to win one series to play in the final, meanwhile 2nd (thru 5th) place has to win two series to get in .. so what's the incentive for that 6th place team to try and finish 5th?
Not to mention that the 6th place team will only have to play a max of 5 games to get the finals, where 2, 3, 4 and 5 may have to play 6.

Old
06-23-2011, 12:27 PM
Behind the Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Not to mention that the 6th place team will only have to play a max of 5 games to get the finals, where 2, 3, 4 and 5 may have to play 6.
It cost a team about $10,000 to $15,000 to sit idle for a week, this doesn't make sense at the single A level.

Old
06-23-2011, 02:12 PM
eggy2486
Hitman #6

touche salesman

Old
06-23-2011, 09:00 PM
ForsbergForever
Red Rocket

I'm going under the assumption that the advantage of only having to win two series by finishing sixth is off put by having to beat the best team in the league, so theoretically it balances out...

Old
06-23-2011, 09:12 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggy2486 View Post
...what's the incentive for that 6th place team to try and finish 5th?
Not having to play the first-place team, who may have 20+ more wins that the sixth-place team?

Old
06-24-2011, 01:37 AM
FrancoRussianAlaskan
Liter-a-cola

I see what you're saying, Prussian, but if you're 5th you have 2 rounds before you make the finals. If you're 6th, pull off some lucky wins in round 1 and go straight to the finals.

Old
06-24-2011, 02:40 AM
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked

This league is turning into the AAHL by the day.

So, who folds IN-SEASON?

My votes are definitely for:

-Niagara Falls(lack of sponsorship and fan support)

-Danville(travel costs)

Old
06-24-2011, 08:01 AM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Men Rule View Post
This league is turning into the AAHL by the day.

So, who folds IN-SEASON?

My votes are definitely for:

-Niagara Falls(lack of sponsorship and fan support)

-Danville(travel costs)
Some were very quick to say last year the league wopn't make it etc well they did and have waht 3 new teams so give it time.

Old
06-24-2011, 08:08 AM
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjhl2009fan View Post
Some were very quick to say last year the league wopn't make it etc well they did and have waht 3 new teams so give it time.
I think it's just 2. Danville and Niagara Falls and they both seem sketchy right now. The Rock Crushers folded before they ever hit the ground.

Broome folded, so did Rome. The Cape Cod franchise(I believe)was the former Broome one.

Take out Danbury and this league would be TOAST.

Danbury fans probably deserve atleast an ECHL team.

Old
06-24-2011, 08:16 AM
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Panda Bolt View Post
safe money? Do you mean save money? If that's the case, good luck. It's essentially in most GMs job descriptions do put a decent product out there while still finding a way to save money. If that means cutting an expensive vet because a cheaper rookie can do the job as well or even almost as well, so be it.

If you want a league that is better than the SPHL good luck. While it does have issues, the SPHL has been the standard the MAHL, EPHL, NEPHL, MWHL, and presumably the FHL have tried to live up to as far as standard of play and success goes. Yes, the SPHL has seen a lot of failure but they also have the Knoxville Ice Bears (who are run better than quite a few AA level clubs), Huntsville Havoc, Columbus Cottonmouths, and Fayetteville FireAntz who have all been consistent draws for the entirety of the SPHL and in the case of the Bears, Cottonmouths, and Antz, before the SPHL was even founded.
I know this post is older but i've thought about it. The SPHL is a success but they also have a lot of former ECHL markets that failed. Wether it helps they dropped down another league I guess is a whole other matter.

Old
06-24-2011, 09:27 AM
eggy2486
Hitman #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post
Not having to play the first-place team, who may have 20+ more wins that the sixth-place team?
True, but as a player I'd rather play against the best instead of having to beat the 3rd best and possibly the 2nd best, before (most probably) facing the 1st place team in the final ... Might as well play them in the first round, get a few days break before the finals, if you can't beat them then you're not going to win the cup anyway.

Closed Thread