Federal Hockey League

Closed Thread

Old
03-11-2011, 08:58 AM
billycanuck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windstorm View Post
Green Mountain Rock Crushers... I don't know what to think about them. It's an interesting idea to put a hockey team on a ski resort, but I'm not sure how well it will work without a solid population. I guess they're counting on people driving from Jay, but it's a small town and still around 20 minutes away. The 400 seat arena is clearly an issue if they want to make any money, but I have to wonder whether they can even fill it.

Anyways, I wish the team nothing but success and will be watching to see how everything turns out. It's nice to see the FHL is having a fairly stable first year. Hopefully these expansion teams work out and don't end up folding mid-season.
What is really interesting is the fact the the FHL is allowing Barry Soskin to run a team in Danville after being run out of the NAHL and practically folding every team he has touched.

http://record-eagle.com/sports/x5463...-be-in-trouble

Quote:
In 1998, he was sued for $29,626.41 over non-payment of employee leasing services while the owner of the now-defunct Nashville Nighthawks.

Soskin signed a four-year contract to run the Toledo Storm of the East Coast Hockey League in September of 2005, but the Storm -- a Detroit Red Wings affiliate -- folded in 2007. Soskin founded the Storm, and owned the team from 1991-98.

Old
03-11-2011, 10:07 AM
arlingtonway

I thought one of the main reasons the Storm folded was due to the demolition of Toldeo Sports Arena.

Last edited by arlingtonway: 03-11-2011 at 10:09 AM. Reason: opps
Old
03-11-2011, 10:26 AM
billycanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by arlingtonway View Post
I thought one of the main reasons the Storm folded was due to the demolition of Toldeo Sports Arena.
Sure it was, but Soskin gave it financial issues like every other team he was a part of: Albert Lea Thunder, Traverse City Enforcers, Pittsburgh Cougars, Indiana Inferno, Toledo Storm, and Nashville Knights, and of course the whole NJHL junior league.

If anyone has any info on a successful team/league he ran (meaning not folded, sued, fined, suspended, etc.), share it. I cannot find any yet.

Old
03-11-2011, 11:47 AM
arlingtonway

for the sake of completeness, Soskin was also part of the Findlay Growl, and Jamestown Jets. I don't recall how he left the Jets

Old
03-11-2011, 03:32 PM
billycanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by arlingtonway View Post
for the sake of completeness, Soskin was also part of the Findlay Growl, and Jamestown Jets. I don't recall how he left the Jets
He was forced out of the Jets.

I remember reading more about it when it happened, but all I can find now is this
http://www.network54.com/Forum/61170...town+ownership

Old
03-14-2011, 07:26 AM
billycanuck

FHL Finals

The FHL Finals will be:
Akwesasne Warriors vs New York Aviators

Best of 5 Series
1- Fri, Mar 18 7:35 pm @ NY
2- Sat, Mar 19 7:35 pm @ NY
3-Fri, Mar 25 7:35 pm @ Akwesasne
4-Sat, Mar 26 7:35 pm @ Akwesasne
5-Tue, Mar 29 7:35 pm @ NY

Unfortunate for the league that the Whalers got knocked out, the attendance for their Friday game was 2,914, and Saturday was 2,722.

Old
03-14-2011, 02:25 PM
ForsbergForever
Red Rocket

I don't really have a lot of info about the FHL but i'm interested in this little upstart league. For those with a bit more familiarity, what are the league's propects for long term stability and growth? Does it seem likely that the AAHL's two remaining teams are absorbed?

Old
03-14-2011, 02:37 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsbergForever View Post
I don't really have a lot of info about the FHL but i'm interested in this little upstart league. For those with a bit more familiarity, what are the league's propects for long term stability and growth? Does it seem likely that the AAHL's two remaining teams are absorbed?
I would think that the two remaining teams in the AAHL would probably be absorbed, if for no other reason than to ensure Danville isn't an island. Having two other western clubs so that teams can make three-to-six-game road trips would make sense.

I like the idea of a team in Vermont, but I don't see a team being able to make a serious go of it financially in a 400-seat rink.

Old
03-15-2011, 06:28 AM
billycanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsbergForever View Post
Long term stability is a term that most of the leagues cannot use. Their outlook is more 'one day at a time'.

Heard some inside rumours that the NY Aviators franchise may be leaving next season due to significant financial losses this season (averaged 438 fans).

The league fails at marketing and social media (last Twitter update was in December) and the website is terribly cheap. League head offices are in Mississippi (same address as the Continental Hockey Association - a Jr.B league on the east coast).

As for the AAHL teams, it would make sense for them to join, but there has been no mention of them joining the FHL, yet. If any of them do join, Battle Creek Revolution would be a safe bet because that franchise has managed to survive the MAHL and the AAHL. Seems the owners have some deep pockets.

Old
03-16-2011, 12:18 PM
billycanuck

Well the Danville team was announced (no name yet), but of course the league website mentions NOTHING of a team from Danville joining. Who runs that website?

Here is a video by the local TV station covering the press event
http://www.wicd15.com/newsroom/top_s...vid_3922.shtml

Video states that there will be two more team announced soon by the FHL in Michigan and Ohio (Battle Creek and Troy, most likely).

Danville team signed a two year lease for the David S. Palmer Arena.

Old
03-16-2011, 12:59 PM
Prussian_Blue

Nothing on the Palmer Arena website yet, either...

Old
03-16-2011, 01:07 PM
billycanuck

Rumour that Smiths Falls, Ontario will be getting a FHL franchise next season.

http://www.yourottawaregion.com/spor...o-smiths-falls

The town already has a Jr.A team that plays in the CCHL (Central Canada Hockey League). Town also just built a new 1500 seating arena.

Old
03-16-2011, 03:23 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by billycanuck View Post
Rumour that Smiths Falls, Ontario will be getting a FHL franchise next season.

http://www.yourottawaregion.com/spor...o-smiths-falls

The town already has a Jr.A team that plays in the CCHL (Central Canada Hockey League). Town also just built a new 1500 seating arena.
I'm skeptical about this... there are a ton of logistical problems involved with having minor-league teams in Canada and traveling to and from the US.

It's not for nothing that only the AHL, with it's close ties to the NHL and major financial backing, has been able to manage having Canadian franchises over the long term.

If the Federal League is smart, they will expand slowly and carefully, and make sure all of their franchises -- especially the Aviators, in the plum Brooklyn market -- are stable and competitive on and off the ice.

Old
03-16-2011, 05:38 PM
T_Cage
VP of Awesome

I'll admit i didnt expect this league to make it thru the season. How exactly does the FHL survive off team busgets around 300k? Wouldn't running a team, even a low-A one cost much more? (The SPHL teams for example i've read budget close to 1M. No where though can i find out how this money is broken down though...an expense sheet would be interesting, but im guessing those are closely-guarded secrets...)

Old
03-17-2011, 07:00 AM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post
I'm skeptical about this... there are a ton of logistical problems involved with having minor-league teams in Canada and traveling to and from the US.

It's not for nothing that only the AHL, with it's close ties to the NHL and major financial backing, has been able to manage having Canadian franchises over the long term.

If the Federal League is smart, they will expand slowly and carefully, and make sure all of their franchises -- especially the Aviators, in the plum Brooklyn market -- are stable and competitive on and off the ice.
I will say this if they have smith falls/akweasne/napanee and maybe one or 3 other ontario or quebec teams they could create a nice division where teams would not hav e to travel to the states.

Old
03-18-2011, 11:16 AM
SwedishFire

What about all these small leauges?

Why?

Is there actually anyone who dare to care?

Someone explain to me?

Old
03-18-2011, 02:42 PM
billycanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishFire View Post
What about all these small leauges?

Why?

Is there actually anyone who dare to care?

Someone explain to me?
What about these leagues do you want to know?

Why? - because there is a desire for players to play 'pro' in these low leagues in hopes of getting up to the CHL, SPHL, or ECHL.

Some people care. The Danbury Whalers have a great following, and their attendance is steady. Seems like the Cape Cod community is looking forward to keeping a pro team there (better than that independent Jr.A league they have now, IJHL).

It is an alternate source of entertainment for small communities. I think the league needs to be in facilities like Danbury's and Troy's in order to make money and offer fans a decent venue.

This league is definitely better than the AAHL, MAHL, EPHL, NEPHL...etc. or that joke of a team the New Jersey Spartans.

As long as there are players willing to play for very little (or in the those leagues and the Spartans case, nothing), there will be minor pro leagues.

Old
03-21-2011, 03:06 PM
billycanuck

Akwesasne Warriors are one game away from winning the championship. Beat NY, in NY, 4-3 and 6-4. Game 3 of the best of 5 series takes place in Akwesasne Friday March 25.

Old
03-21-2011, 03:20 PM
Windstorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by billycanuck View Post
Akwesasne Warriors are one game away from winning the championship. Beat NY, in NY, 4-3 and 6-4. Game 3 of the best of 5 series takes place in Akwesasne Friday March 25.
I'm not really partial to either team, but Akwesasne definitely has a bigger fanbase so it would be good for the league if they could take home the title.

Old
03-25-2011, 04:09 AM
Hockey Sports Fan
:panic:

Send a message via AIM to Hockey Sports Fan
Although, it would probably be good for the Aviators to make the series a little exciting.

Old
03-28-2011, 07:02 AM
billycanuck

Akwesasne Warriors are the FHL Champions. Won the series 3-1 with a 5-2 victory (2 empty net goals) on Saturday.

Old
03-31-2011, 03:52 PM
Chevy Cheveldae

Send a message via MSN to Chevy Cheveldae
here's a little on the new Danville team

http://www.prohockeynews.com/hockey/...nds_west.shtml

Old
03-31-2011, 08:15 PM
FrancoRussianAlaskan
Liter-a-cola

Link fail.

Here's one that works

Old
04-23-2011, 09:18 PM
billycanuck

Whalers CEO wins FHL Executive of the Year

Were there any other candidates for this award? The Whalers ran the franchise like a professional hockey team and also dwarfed the other teams attendance this season.

Congrats to Herm Sorcher and Whalers organization.

Quote:
And the green sweaters worn by the Whalers have been just as visible. From Day One, Sorcher and his staff set out to build a year-long bond with the community. And through fundraising efforts and community outreach events such as postgame after-parties at nearby Two Steps Bar & Grill, a faithful, jersey-wearing following was born.

"We ended up raising $24,000 for area schools, foundations and nonprofit organizations," Sorcher said. "We had 15 different groups. Each group had a great night. Newtown High hockey, Dream Come True, Danbury Kiwanis, a bunch of schools in Danbury -- it was great stuff."

Read more: http://www.newstimes.com/default/art...#ixzz1KP2lKOhl

Old
04-24-2011, 05:30 AM
keslehr*

This is a real pro league?

How much do the players earn? $40k-$50k?

Not trolling, just curious

Closed Thread