Closed Thread

Old
04-24-2011, 11:40 AM
billycanuck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by keslehr View Post
This is a real pro league?

How much do the players earn? $40k-$50k?

Not trolling, just curious
Well, whether this is a pro league is up for debate. However, this league proclaims itself at Single 'A' pro league. The Southern Professional Hockey League is also a Single A league.

The FHL has a weekly salary cap of $5,050 USD per week. With 17 player rosters, so on average a player will earn $297.06 a week.

The SPHL has a salary cap of $5,600 USD per week.

SPHL plays in rinks with capacities over 5,000. FHL plays in rinks with capacities between 600-1200.

Old
04-25-2011, 11:16 PM
Cornwall OHL
That's my O face.

Where's Rome?

Was just checking the FHL website to see if any new teams were named. I noticed they were hiring people, so I took a look at the news. In the article it says where the teams are located, and I noticed that Rome, NY was not listed.

The FHL

Old
04-26-2011, 06:16 AM
billycanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornwall OHL View Post
Was just checking the FHL website to see if any new teams were named. I noticed they were hiring people, so I took a look at the news. In the article it says where the teams are located, and I noticed that Rome, NY was not listed.

The FHL
Good eye! I was just looking at the league map, where Rome is still there, but like you said not mentioned below. I would assume that Rome is not returning. But of course the league is terrible for updates.

You thinking of applying for marketing spot with the FHL?

Old
04-26-2011, 11:11 AM
Cornwall OHL
That's my O face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billycanuck View Post

You thinking of applying for marketing spot with the FHL?
I would worry that in the middle of the night this league would close and I would be out of a job.

I think Rome is out, I really wonder what other teams are going to join this league. If Danville is the only team announced in the west, that is a lot of travel dollars. Maybe they will add four more teams and have an East-West alignment.

Old
04-27-2011, 01:44 PM
billycanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornwall OHL View Post
I would worry that in the middle of the night this league would close and I would be out of a job.

I think Rome is out, I really wonder what other teams are going to join this league. If Danville is the only team announced in the west, that is a lot of travel dollars. Maybe they will add four more teams and have an East-West alignment.
too true.

Battle Creek Revolution's website has been closed. Wonder if they in fact are not joining the FHL as rumoured.

The league announced twice on the website that they are looking for 'part-time' commissioned paid help; guess people are not lining up for the job. But no mention of expansion or next season information (maybe that's why people are applying for the job). Danbury is at least starting to promote next season with their 'Fan Caravan' tour. Does any other team in the league notice what Danbury is doing?

Old
04-27-2011, 05:21 PM
Cornwall OHL
That's my O face.

Quote:
too true.

Battle Creek Revolution's website has been closed. Wonder if they in fact are not joining the FHL as rumoured.

The league announced twice on the website that they are looking for 'part-time' commissioned paid help; guess people are not lining up for the job. But no mention of expansion or next season information (maybe that's why people are applying for the job). Danbury is at least starting to promote next season with their 'Fan Caravan' tour. Does any other team in the league notice what Danbury is doing?
The league should hire a reputable website designer to redo the whole website and each teams' site. It is never up-to-date, nor is it very attractive compared to other leagues.

Old
05-03-2011, 08:40 AM
billycanuck

Aviator's Kevin Druce article

Little write up on the NY Aviators goaltender Kevin Druce. Druce played 3 seasons in the OHL (Oshawa Generals and Soo Greyhounds). Druce was the Toronto Maple Leafs practice goalie while he was at York University and also was on a Boston Bruins reality TV show and earned an NHL tryout with the team.

http://www.oursportscentral.com/serv...es/?id=4195531

Quote:
That same year Druce spent some time with the Toronto Maple Leafs organization when he filled in during the Olympics after his season ended at York University where he played in 51 games* over three years.
*Actually played 63 games in 3 years.

Quote:
Druce feels the best hockey he has ever played may have been in the training camp of the Boston Bruins after he won that reality show five years ago.

Old
05-06-2011, 08:38 PM
Heat McManus

Druce is a good guy. Great Tragically Hip mask.

and as of a conversation with NY head coach Rob Miller this afternoon, all systems are a-go.

Old
05-09-2011, 11:23 PM
arlingtonway

FHL to NEW JERSEY

Team will play out of the Ice Vault (cap. +600) in Wayne NJ

Old
05-10-2011, 09:20 AM
billycanuck

Very interesting. Kind of went in the opposite direction of putting teams out west near Danville. But again, a seating capacity under 600 just seems far too low.

Just hope this team isn't called the New Jersey Spartans.

Maybe the team will be call the 'Devils' and could be part of the Devils family

New Jersey Devils
Albany Devils
Trenton Devils
New Jersey Devils

Last edited by billycanuck: 05-10-2011 at 09:31 AM.
Old
05-10-2011, 11:20 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Very interesting. Kind of went in the opposite direction of putting teams out west near Danville. But again, a seating capacity under 600 just seems far too low.

Just hope this team isn't called the New Jersey Spartans.

Maybe the team will be call the 'Devils' and could be part of the Devils family

New Jersey Devils
Albany Devils
Trenton Devils
New Jersey Devils

Just bring back the name the...ROCKHOPPERS

Old
05-10-2011, 11:56 AM
billycanuck

Yes, revive the defending Eastern Professional Hockey League Champions, Rockhoppers.

Wonder why the new FHL team is not playing in the Richard Codey Arena?

Just saw this on PuckDaddy, and had a good laugh:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...aining-content
Quote:
From reader Brian Tighe:
I play on a beer league team out of the Ice Vault in Wayne, NJ that has a name and jersey set that rivals the Hat Trick Swayzes.
The Short Bus All-Stars.
The name was originally thought up for a beer pong tournament back in college. Afterward, a bunch of us who played on the college team together started a roller hockey team (later moving to ice, thank god) and adopted the SBAS name, as well as having a logo and pimp-ass jerseys made up.
To paraphrase Homer J. Simpson: Ah, beer pong. The cause of and the solution to all of life's problems.

Old
05-10-2011, 12:14 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Yes, revive the defending Eastern Professional Hockey League Champions, Rockhoppers.

Wonder why the new FHL team is not playing in the Richard Codey Arena?

Just saw this on PuckDaddy, and had a good laugh:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...aining-content
I just like the name. I wonder why they didn't join the FHL? Something must have happened behind the scenes to prevent that? Because they definitely had a good team. The FHL: took some EPHL teams, didn't they?

Old
05-10-2011, 12:40 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackalsfan1 View Post
I just like the name. I wonder why they didn't join the FHL? Something must have happened behind the scenes to prevent that? Because they definitely had a good team. The FHL: took some EPHL teams, didn't they?
They have teams in some of the same cities but the only team that stayed intact from the EPHL are the New York Aviators (they were Brooklyn in EPHL)

Old
05-10-2011, 11:12 PM
arlingtonway

it makes sense for them to put a team near the Aviators and Whalers to help with travel cost and if they are able to add 3 mid west teams it gives you three 4 team divisions which looks nice on paper, but I really wish they could have found a better place to play(Codey Arena was a great place to catch a game even if it was EPHL).

But hey if they are going to settle for 4-600 cap. rinks then maybe PA can land a team, we have lots of those.

Side Note:

Please no NJ Spartans

Last edited by arlingtonway: 05-10-2011 at 11:12 PM. Reason: typo
Old
05-11-2011, 05:57 PM
billycanuck

Looks like the league is starting to update their website more. Still nothing from New York or Rome on their websites. But it would be hard to see NY folding now that New Jersey is getting a franchise; good geographic rivalry.

Wonder if there are still plans for west expansion; eg. Troy, Ohio.

Old
05-11-2011, 07:37 PM
Heat McManus

From FHL.com re the NJ team

Quote:
Anticipated presenters are Team President Chris Firriolo, General Manager Rich Lisk, as well as FHL Commissioner Don Kirnan. Introductory material will be presented, including the Franchise's Name, Logo and Identity, information on ticket plans and corporate sponsorship opportunities. Various FHL Officials and the franchise's ownership and management will be on hand to answer any question
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=118683

Old
05-11-2011, 11:08 PM
arlingtonway

Troy was my first mid west thought.

I was trading emails with Lee Mowen (Bruins Broadcaster) a while back but as soon as I brought up the FHL he stopped answering my questions. I know that's not proof of anything but at the time I thought maybe he was shuting it down for a reason.

or maybe he thought I was a jerk.

Old
05-12-2011, 10:55 PM
FrancoRussianAlaskan
Liter-a-cola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heat McManus View Post
So who do you think will be the coach in Danbury?
Quote:
Originally Posted by arlingtonway View Post
Troy was my first mid west thought.

I was trading emails with Lee Mowen (Bruins Broadcaster) a while back but as soon as I brought up the FHL he stopped answering my questions. I know that's not proof of anything but at the time I thought maybe he was shuting it down for a reason.

or maybe he thought I was a jerk.
Maybe talks were in process and nothing came to fruition or they're waiting to announce (who knows why they'd do that). Or, based on the image up on their website, the team is done.

Old
05-17-2011, 12:02 PM
arlingtonway

anyone hear anything about the press conference for the NJ team

Old
05-17-2011, 03:35 PM
Chevy Cheveldae

Send a message via MSN to Chevy Cheveldae
Quote:
Originally Posted by arlingtonway View Post
anyone hear anything about the press conference for the NJ team
Wayne, N.J. – The Federal Hockey League, with teams in the New York Metropolitan Area, New England, Canada and the Midwest unveiled its newest franchise at a press conference at the Capital One Ice Vault in Wayne, NJ May 17.

The New Jersey Outlaws

http://newjerseyoutlaws.pointstreaks...ews/news_26693

btw, they also signed Matt Puntureri from the Aviators (3rd in fhl scoring last season)

Old
05-17-2011, 04:14 PM
Cornwall OHL
That's my O face.

Why doesn't Danville hurry up so we know what their team name is?

I guess the FHL must be trying to add at least two more teams closer to Danville? I mean they are island out there.

Old
05-18-2011, 04:47 AM
arlingtonway

looking over the Outlaws staff bio's atleast they brought in people with a decent amount of experience.

now if only they could find a way to add another 1,000 seat to the Ice Vault

Old
05-18-2011, 06:52 AM
billycanuck

Anyone else notice this:
Quote:
The New Jersey Outlaws will be the Federal League’s eighth franchise, joining Akwesasne (Ont), Cape Cod (Hyannis, Mass), Danbury (Conn.) Brooklyn (NY), Thousand Islands (Alexandria Bay, NY), Green Mountain (Vt) and Danville (IL).
Rome Frenzy? Figured the franchise was finished, but would be nice if they officially announced it.

Edit*

Then I read this:
http://www.northjersey.com/sports/pr..._in_Wayne.html
Quote:
An original team from Rome, N.Y., is defunct, but three expansion teams have been added for next season – the Outlaws, Green Mountain Rock Crushers (Jay Peek, Vt.) and a yet-to-be named franchise in Danville, Ill. The league is considering adding teams for next season in Cincinnati and Niagara Falls, Ontario.
Also in the article:
Quote:
The rest of the roster will be filled through an affiliation with an ECHL team – the Outlaws are talking to three teams (none of which is the Trenton Devils) – other player loans and free agent signings.

Last edited by billycanuck: 05-18-2011 at 07:09 AM.
Old
05-18-2011, 07:28 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

I have a very bad feeling that the ECHL team might be us. My question is WHY would an ECHL team wanna waste that kinda money?

Closed Thread