HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

NHL to have an Anime partnership?

Closed Thread

Old
04-18-2010, 03:51 PM
cori
Awesomesauce

vCash: 500
NHL to have an Anime partnership?

I admit I was once a huge anime fan, back in high school, but well, I've (hopefully) grown out of it, this is kinda interesting. Again, its speculation.

http://*******************/articles/...g-set-in-stone

I'm all for expanding the market and in Japan, baseball and football(soccer) is pretty huge, with basketball trailing behind. Hockey has a pretty small fanbase.

What I don't think is viable is the targeting of 'otaku'. I mean, seriously? What will make them change their mind from watching teeny girls in skimpy outfits battling giant robots in space(slight emphasis here) to watching big burly men on skates fighting for a black rubber disc.

Unless they make hockey players moe, well, I think another target would be....more realistic.

edit: Hmmm, link is blanked out, just going to copy paste. However, if this isn't allowed here(I'm assuming due to the censor), Mods feel free to delete this.

Quote:
NEW YORK - National Hockey League Commissioner Gary Bettman confirmed Wednesday rumors that the League Office is considering a partnership with several Japanese Animation studios which could be in place effect as soon as next season.

In a short written statement released to the press, Bettman reaffirmed his commitment to raise sagging revenues and reinvigorate fanbases in the NHL, which has struggled to compete with other professional leagues in recent years.

"Everything we do is with one goal in mind - preserving and propagating the great sport of hockey, seeing that the best players in the world get the recognition they deserve, and thrilling the fans," said Bettman.

The statement comes on the heels of the leaking of documents, including drafts of preliminary contracts, regarding negotiations between the animation studios and the NHL, to the Bleacher Report. Bettman tried to alleviate speculation that a deal was close, saying, "[t]he reported negotiations are part of what is only one of a plethora of options on the table. Nothing is set in stone."

Old
04-18-2010, 03:56 PM
Shinsuke Nakamura
King of Strong Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachelene View Post
I admit I was once a huge anime fan, back in high school, but well, I've (hopefully) grown out of it, this is kinda interesting. Again, its speculation.
Yeah because anime's totally a kid thing, right?

Anyway, this story is...interesting to say the least.

Old
04-18-2010, 03:58 PM
CISSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Habs Fan View Post
Yeah because anime's totally a kid thing, right?

Anyway, this story is...interesting to say the least.
No, just no. Anime really isn't a kid thing, it's more of a grown man-child thing.

Oh that and pseudo pedophiles.

Old
04-18-2010, 03:58 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

When/if a legitimate news site is a source for this partnership is available, the thread will be reopened.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...medium=twitter
PD: article was a (literal) farce. There is no truth to "announcement".

Last edited by LadyStanley: 04-19-2010 at 03:59 PM. Reason: add PD expos´e
Closed Thread