HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Howard or Osgood in Game 4.

Closed Thread

Old
04-18-2010, 05:12 PM
HockeyinHD

vCash: 500
Howard or Osgood in Game 4.

No, seriously.

Was game 3 Howard's 'fault'? Nope, not really. Has he been anything but mediocre at the absolute best so far in the playoffs? Nope, not really.

The second goal of the game was 'vintage' Jimmy Howard. Soft shot from the wing, rebound kicked to the worst conceivable place, instant goal. Huge, huge game changer. Could that goal have been stopped if the dman completely tied up the Coyote? Probably, but at some point you need to be able to swallow up those shots and not make it an issue.

I have no idea what he was thinking on the third goal, either. Granted, abysmal play from the dman, but Howard just sucked down into the net. Why? Poke-check, son. At least pretend you're aggressive.

A quick note: the last time Osgood gave up 4 ES goals in a playoff game? 4/18/2003.

IMO, I think Babcock goes with Osgood in Game 4. That's a total gut feeling. I can totally see him sticking with Howard, since he effectively obliterated any chance at having Osgood game-ready three months ago... which, by the way, I was hugely concerned about.

And now, here we are. Howard's confidence has to be rocked right now. He's been average to bad in three straight games and the pressure level has just gone to 11. Game 4 is the biggest game of his career. If Babcock goes with Howard there and leaves a guy with Osgood's postseason resume on the bench, man oh man.

That'd take some big, brass stones. I hope it works out for him.

Old
04-18-2010, 05:14 PM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

No.

No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no.

No.

1. Osgood is rusty
2. Howard needs experience and cannot be put back on the bench simply because he didn't have a great game
3. Howard needs confidence and taking him out for that game would cause him to second guess himself to the nth degree
4. Osgood is rusty

Am I missing anything?

Maybe if Howard pulls an 08 Hasek and puts the team down by 3 early with weak goals then I will think about putting Osgood in. But not for game 4. Howard deserves a shot, especially with the defense playing as bad as it has.

Old
04-18-2010, 05:18 PM
SirKillalot

vCash: 390
Osgood shouldn't get a chance, unless Howard really mess up and the season is on the line in the next game.

Old
04-18-2010, 05:19 PM
Ricelund
We like our team.

Goaltending won't be the difference in this series.

The Wings look out of gas to me.

Old
04-18-2010, 05:25 PM
Harold Snepsts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirKillalot View Post
Osgood shouldn't get a chance, unless Howard really mess up and the season is on the line in the next game.
This.

Old
04-18-2010, 05:25 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

LOL.

Osgood was a cup winner and cup finalist with this team. Not only did he lose his job, but he was glued to the bench for three months.

That tells you all you need to know about how Mike Babcock views Osgood.

Old
04-18-2010, 05:27 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

It's not an issue of consideration in my mind. Howard is the bed we made, we gotta lie in it.

Old
04-18-2010, 05:28 PM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

You stick with Howard, and it won't take big, brass balls, imo. Won't even take little, raisin-sized ping pong balls. It's simply the right decision.

Osgood got very little playing time down the stretch. The Wings rode Howard because they had to. And Osgood showed what he's capable of when coming in rusty; not much. Unfortunately, that trumps his previous two playoff runs, both of which were outstanding. I really wish we had a primed Osgood ready to jump in and save the day, but we don't. And that's a result of team injuries this year. Too bad so sad

Old
04-18-2010, 05:28 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Howard has been pretty crappy in this series, but he still gives the team the best chance to win and has done that for 85% of the season.

Old
04-18-2010, 05:30 PM
GT500x
Im OK where we're at

As mad as I am at Howard, he hasn't played himself out of net yet. Besides, the way the team played at the end was the way they should have started. Hopefully this game is a wake up call.
Right now, the difference is intensity. The Wings are too calm and controlled to beat the intensity that Phoenix is bringing now.

Old
04-18-2010, 05:30 PM
icuwoot

There is no one Osgood is going to play Game 4, as others have stated. Unless Howard craps the bed or is hurt, Ozzie isn't going to see action in these playoffs.

Old
04-18-2010, 05:31 PM
HockeyinHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT500x View Post
As mad as I am at Howard, he hasn't played himself out of net yet. Besides, the way the team played at the end was the way they should have started. Hopefully this game is a wake up call.
Right now, the difference is intensity. The Wings are too calm and controlled to beat the intensity that Phoenix is bringing now.
Does anyone think a change in goal might spark that increased intensity?

Old
04-18-2010, 05:32 PM
theYman
Backboard #8 realgud

Please don't be Steve Mason II!! Please don't be Steve Mason II!! Please don't be Steve Mason II!! Please don't be Steve Mason II!! Please don't be Steve Mason II!! Please don't be Steve Mason II!! Please don't be Steve Mason II!! Please don't be Steve Mason II!! Please don't be Steve Mason II!! Please don't be Steve Mason II!! Please don't be Steve Mason II!! Please don't be Steve Mason II!! Please don't be Steve Mason II!! Please don't be Steve Mason II!! Please don't be Steve Mason II!! Please don't be Steve Mason II!! Please don't be Steve Mason II!! Please don't be Steve Mason II!! Please don't be Steve Mason II!! Please don't be Steve Mason II!! Please don't be Steve Mason II!!

Old
04-18-2010, 05:34 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyinHD View Post
I think it will be the opposite. Osgood goes in and the Wings tighten up even more because of how much of a sieve he was for the majority of the year.

Old
04-18-2010, 05:34 PM
Ricelund
We like our team.

Quote:
No. They played better in front of Howard all year than they did in front of Osgood.

With the way the team has played, Osgood would've been no better than Howard has been in these first three games. Howard's made some huge saves and only let in one goal that was totally on him (Vrbata's today).

The Wings were playing near flawless hockey in front of Osgood the last two playoff years, especially in '08. Howard hasn't had that luxury so far.

Old
04-18-2010, 05:36 PM
HockeyinHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by icuwoot View Post
There is no one Osgood is going to play Game 4, as others have stated. Unless Howard craps the bed
3.67 GAA, .889 save %.

That ain't exactly just a Dutch Oven.

Old
04-18-2010, 05:37 PM
sarcastro

vCash: 663
Depends on whether you'd like to see a game 6. If you have a hot tee time and want it over in 5, by all means put Osgood in there.

Unless Osgood comes with a fresh set of 6 defensemen, he's not going to fare any better than Howard. Considering he hasn't played a decent game of hockey in 5 months, odds are he'd fare a hell of a lot worse.

And getting some replacement hands for the forwards wouldn't hurt either. To quote Hannibal Lecter, watching the Wings try to move the puck in the offensive zone was like watching a freshman fumbling with a pantygirdle.

Old
04-18-2010, 05:40 PM
HockeyinHD

I have to say, I'm quite surprised by the sheer size of the pass it seems people are willing to give Howard, and I was already expecting it to be a pretty big one.

It's certainly an interesting dynamic between young James and most of the posters here. I wonder what will have to happen before that pass gets revoked.

Old
04-18-2010, 05:43 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

I've criticized Howard and been pretty down on him, but I was never an Osgood fan either. Osgood didn't exactly look awesome in his most recent start, now you put him in "cold" and I just don't know how we expect him to be any better. I'd yank Howard if I was confident about the backup.

Old
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Outside perspective. I would leave Howard in. The 4th goal was a great play by Phoenix gaining the zone, drop pass as the forward skated in to two defenders. Great shot that Howard could of had but not a soft goal. The 1st goal was a frenzy around him and a breakdown on the defensive side. The 3rd goal was another great offensive play.

Howard did not do anything to lose the job in that game.

Old
Marky9er

Osgood saved us in the Nashville series, but if he was going to start game four, he would have finished this game. I have Howard in the pool(i had 2nd last pick in the goalie round) so I hope he can get something going. I have noticed Howards blocker side being a real soft spot leading up to the playoffs, and he has been beat there a couple times cleanly already this series. I'd have no qualms with playoffs and Osgood in the same sentence.

Old
04-18-2010, 05:44 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

Quote:
I have to say, I'm quite surprised by the sheer size of the pass it seems people are willing to give Howard, and I was already expecting it to be a pretty big one.

It's certainly an interesting dynamic between young James and most of the posters here. I wonder what will have to happen before that pass gets revoked.
I think you're confusing giving a pass with having zero faith in Chris Osgood.

Old
04-18-2010, 05:48 PM
Eaglepride*
#5 in Wotan we trust

Ozzy hasn't played since forever and now start him during the Playoffs? no way also it would be a HUGE confidence breaker for Howie. If Ozzy messes up, Howie without confidence -> goodbye playoff1

Old
04-18-2010, 05:48 PM
Marky9er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
You mean you have no faith in last years playoff MVP, and you have more faith in a playoff virgin. Logical.

Old
04-18-2010, 05:49 PM
Ricelund
We like our team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
Exactly... in '08 Osgood was an all-star. He's literally been one of the worst goalies in the league over the past two seasons.

Closed Thread