HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Howard or Osgood in Game 4.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-20-2010, 09:43 AM
  #126
doublejack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Detroit
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,123
vCash: 500
Something that I don't think has been mentioned in this thread is the fact that Osgood is in Babcock's doghouse. Posters can say whatever they want about Howard and his play, but Osgood getting on Babcock's bad side is a far larger issue. That's a place players don't return from. It is worse than Alcatraz... more like a black hole.

So, what will happen to Osgood from here? See Chelios, Chris.

doublejack is offline  
Old
04-20-2010, 09:55 AM
  #127
HockeyinHD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,939
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacK View Post
you're assuming he's going to play badly for the next 2 games.
Yes. If Howard comes out in game 4 and is somewhere between good and great, obviously this situation becomes moot. Ideally, that's what will happen, and I won't have to wonder if Detroit may have made another run with Osgood in.

Quote:
it's a lot better for his confidence when the coach gives him the opportunity to dig the team out of the hole they've [all, including Howie] dug and maybe not succeed, than get yanked and not get that chance.
Yeah... no. Why is it better for his confidence to play all 6 games of a series at a disappointing level and lose as opposed to playing 4 games at a disappointing level and get pulled? In what way does that make any sense?

Quote:
i guess i'm wondering where you see a strident defense. everybody here is saying he needs to be better.
Not true. There are a number of people whoa re saying Howard has been fine, and that if the rest of the team was playing better things would be much more comfortable.

Quote:
and Ozzie had slack.
Horse.
Bleep.

Quote:
is it coincidental that Howie didn't have a similar struggle with the same team in front of him?
And that's the other half of the inconsistency here. When Osgood struggled behind a team playing badly, that was on Osgood. When Howard came in and played much better individually behind a team playing as poorly as they did for Osgood, that was (justifiably) cause to laud Howard as a better option. Now that Howard is struggling behind a team not playing well, he's exempted from a) the same standards used to condemn Osgood and b) the standard of the level of play he maintained behind a weaker team effort in the regular season.

Those are the free passes Howard is getting.

HockeyinHD is offline  
Old
04-20-2010, 09:57 AM
  #128
Heaton
Moderator
#disapointment
 
Heaton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Rochester, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 16,931
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublejack View Post
Something that I don't think has been mentioned in this thread is the fact that Osgood is in Babcock's doghouse. Posters can say whatever they want about Howard and his play, but Osgood getting on Babcock's bad side is a far larger issue. That's a place players don't return from. It is worse than Alcatraz... more like a black hole.

So, what will happen to Osgood from here? See Chelios, Chris.
I don't think this is anything new, though. Osgood and Babcock haven't exactly been seeing eye to eye since he first got here.

Heaton is offline  
Old
04-20-2010, 03:04 PM
  #129
doublejack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Detroit
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,123
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
I don't think this is anything new, though. Osgood and Babcock haven't exactly been seeing eye to eye since he first got here.
Yes and no. Until the 2008 playoffs, Babcock's actions indicated he wasn't an Osgood fan. However, even when Osgood was backing up Legace and Hasek he was never in the doghouse to the extent that he didn't play for weeks upon weeks. It wasn't until Howard that we saw >20 consecutive starts for the other goalie.

I think between the repeated attempts to get him playing well last season and his attitude & additional struggles this season that Babcock reached a breaking point. I think he's been written off by the coach. It is pretty crazy to see him sitting just a handful of wins away from 400 and seriously think he might not get there, yet I can't discount that it is a real possibility. If Howard does close to as well next season as he did this season, will Osgood get more than 8 or 10 starts? I'm doubtful.

In summary, this is different.

doublejack is offline  
Old
04-20-2010, 04:30 PM
  #130
Heaton
Moderator
#disapointment
 
Heaton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Rochester, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 16,931
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublejack View Post
Yes and no. Until the 2008 playoffs, Babcock's actions indicated he wasn't an Osgood fan. However, even when Osgood was backing up Legace and Hasek he was never in the doghouse to the extent that he didn't play for weeks upon weeks. It wasn't until Howard that we saw >20 consecutive starts for the other goalie.

I think between the repeated attempts to get him playing well last season and his attitude & additional struggles this season that Babcock reached a breaking point. I think he's been written off by the coach. It is pretty crazy to see him sitting just a handful of wins away from 400 and seriously think he might not get there, yet I can't discount that it is a real possibility. If Howard does close to as well next season as he did this season, will Osgood get more than 8 or 10 starts? I'm doubtful.

In summary, this is different.
I don't think it's any different. Osgood wasn't playing terribly up until last regular season. Babcock gave him the benefit of the doubt based on winning the cup the previous spring. This year Babcock didn't have the tolerance for it and I'm sure it still stems back from when he first got here in '06 and let a vastly unproven career backup in Legace (who played great in the regular season, mind you) take the ball and run with it. Osgood was presumed hurt in the playoffs but I don't recall him ever not backing up in the playoffs.

Long story short, Babcock is like every coach, they want a goalie who they can play every night. Osgood and Hasek/Legace worked fine since they were winning 50 games but I still don't think it was an ideal situation. Howard showed he can start a ton in a row (at least this year) so it was a perfect storm coupled with Osgood's inability to put together consistent good starts.

Heaton is offline  
Old
04-20-2010, 08:09 PM
  #131
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please
 
ArGarBarGar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 24,816
vCash: 500
I think we owe HiHD an apology guys.

ArGarBarGar is offline  
Old
04-20-2010, 08:09 PM
  #132
sarcastro
Registered User
 
sarcastro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,245
vCash: 663
/thread.

sarcastro is offline  
Old
04-20-2010, 08:10 PM
  #133
zetterberg40
Registered User
 
zetterberg40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 21,209
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
Dont go hoping back on the bandwagon you ozzie-wagoners... stay there.

zetterberg40 is offline  
Old
04-20-2010, 08:12 PM
  #134
Heaton
Moderator
#disapointment
 
Heaton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Rochester, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 16,931
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Heaton
We can start a new one later if needed.

Heaton is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:15 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.