HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do you still believe ?

View Poll Results: Do you believe?
Yes 41 78.85%
No 11 21.15%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-19-2010, 12:41 PM
aar000n

vCash: 500
yes I do Detroit has yet to play their A game and have barley lost both games.

aar000n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2010, 12:56 PM
chances14

wings will win game 4 but yotes win this series

chances14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2010, 12:59 PM
sarcastro

vCash: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwingsfan View Post
With the way they're playing now? No.. But I know they're better than what they've shown so far.. Watching the Wings is extremely frustrating right now. They're making mistakes they shouldn't be making..
They're making mistakes that Junior B teams shouldn't be making. That's what has me worried more than anything. Practice today should be interesting.

It's pretty sad when Ericsson is your best defenseman, but that's the way it looked yesterday. Yikes.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2010, 01:28 PM
Yemack

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
They're making mistakes that Junior B teams shouldn't be making.
There is just no comparison between NHL and Junior B.

Coyotes are a good team. Everyone understimated them. You keep mentioning 03-06 Wings but Ducks in 03 went to the finals, flames 04? final, Oilers 06? yep u know. They werent playing against some terrible team. All of those were great challenge.

Wings are up against a great challenge this series as well. It would have been nice if they showed some URGENCY which I think every fans are asking them but it isn't like Wings are just mailing it in. (although I said it in GDT in heat of the moment)

They just need that extra gear and need to find a way through this. That's what playoff is all about. Coyotes are already on that gear. This is as great a time as any, Wings just need to get there... because I know they have it in them.

yeah timely save would be nice also.

Yemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2010, 01:39 PM
sarcastro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yemack View Post
There is just no comparison between NHL and Junior B.

Coyotes are a good team. Everyone understimated them. You keep mentioning 03-06 Wings but Ducks in 03 went to the finals, flames 04? final, Oilers 06? yep u know. They werent playing against some terrible team. All of those were great challenge.

Wings are up against a great challenge this series as well. It would have been nice if they showed some URGENCY which I think every fans are asking them but it isn't like Wings are just mailing it in. (although I said it in GDT in heat of the moment)

They just need that extra gear and need to find a way through this. That's what playoff is all about. Coyotes are already on that gear. This is as great a time as any, Wings just need to get there... because I know they have it in them.

yeah timely save would be nice also.
Junior B teams know better than to let opposing forwards get the puck uncovered in the slot.

Junior B teams know that whichever way they decide to play a 2 on 1 against, the one defender needs to decide to do SOMETHING and not just stand there and watch what happens.

The Yotes are playing well, but the Wings are giving them a lot of help.

Old
04-19-2010, 01:42 PM
MrSandMan*

We've seen flashes of that "gear", but they fail at sustaining it. When DRWs are clicking, they make 'Yotes look like the high school B team.

After the first period yesterday I thought Wings were on such an entirely different level than the 'Yotes. If they play like that 15 minutes for a full 60 minutes, nobody can stop this team.

MrSandMan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2010, 01:42 PM
YzermanWings19

It's the first time in 4 years that we've been in real first round danger, so there might be some skepticism among us. Can't blame anyone for that.

Having said that, no, I don't believe we're done here. We've all seen the types of wins and losses over the past four seasons while we've been to the West Final three straight and Finals twice.

Last second saves by Osgood, last second stops by the other goalie, last second goals by our guys.

It has showed me that no matter how atrociously the Wings play for half the game or more, they will still fight to win the game. So until the clock expires in the 4th win for the opponent, no I won't give up on this team.

Go Wings.

YzermanWings19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2010, 01:43 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Junior B teams know better than to let opposing forwards get the puck uncovered in the slot.

Junior B teams know that whichever way they decide to play a 2 on 1 against, the one defender needs to decide to do SOMETHING and not just stand there and watch what happens.

The Yotes are playing well, but the Wings are giving them a lot of help.
So what happens if the Wings destroy Phoenix tomorrow and win 5-1 while chasing Bryzgalov?

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2010, 01:45 PM
sarcastro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
So what happens if the Wings destroy Phoenix tomorrow and win 5-1 while chasing Bryzgalov?
Then they will have done their job for one game. If they get all dumb, fat and happy about it like they did after game 2, then we'll be right back in this situation with the Wings down 3-2.

Does this team look like it has its stuff together to the degree where it's going to beat a good team three times out of four with two on the road? They're going to have to prove it.

Old
04-19-2010, 01:51 PM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

Quote:
Won't mean jack considering the Wings have dominated at least one game in almost every single series they have played this millennium, win or lose.

Penguins: 5-0 in game 5 LOST SERIES
BlackHawks: 6-1 in game 4 WON SERIES
Ducks: 4-1 in game 5 WON SERIES
Blue Jackets: 4-1 in game 3 WON SERIES

Penguins: 4-0 in game 2 WON SERIES
Stars: 4-1 in game 6 WON SERIES
Avalanche: 8-2 in game 4 WON SERIES
Predators: 3-0 in game 6 WON SERIES

Ducks: 6-3 in game 4 LOST SERIES

And on and on and on. I almost expect the Wings do destroy Phoenix in one of these games.

ArGarBarGar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2010, 01:52 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

Quote:
Then they will have done their job for one game. If they get all dumb, fat and happy about it like they did after game 2, then we'll be right back in this situation with the Wings down 3-2.

Does this team look like it has its stuff together to the degree where it's going to beat a good team three times out of four with two on the road? They're going to have to prove it.
I don't know. But I also didn't think they were a team that looked like they could go on a 'miracle' run and reach 100pts.

Call it blind faith or whatever you want, but a team with this much experience or whatever you want to point to with Babcock, Lidstrom, Holland & co. doesn't make me lose all faith become (on the surface for some fans, not saying anyone in particular) fairweather fans who decide all of a sudden the guys who gave everything they have for the last few years that they're somehow spoiled, lazy and don't care? Please.

There's a huge reason to be concerned, but I think some comments aren't necessary. The Wings have put themselves in the position to have huge expectations on them and even then I'm not sure it's possible for the majority to give benefit of the doubt.

Old
04-19-2010, 02:01 PM
sarcastro

Quote:
I don't know. But I also didn't think they were a team that looked like they could go on a 'miracle' run and reach 100pts.

Call it blind faith or whatever you want, but a team with this much experience or whatever you want to point to with Babcock, Lidstrom, Holland & co. doesn't make me lose all faith become (on the surface for some fans, not saying anyone in particular) fairweather fans who decide all of a sudden the guys who gave everything they have for the last few years that they're somehow spoiled, lazy and don't care? Please.

There's a huge reason to be concerned, but I think some comments aren't necessary. The Wings have put themselves in the position to have huge expectations on them and even then I'm not sure it's possible for the majority to give benefit of the doubt.
Maybe 1/4 of those games down the stretch featured teams that were playing at a playoff level. It should have set off all kinds of alarm bells when the team would follow up a 1-0 shootout win against the Preds with the stinker they managed to win against the Oilers.

Playing so many bad teams the last 2 weeks of the season lulled them into thinking they were a lot better than they actually are. They started to believe the press that said the Big Red Machine was back and that the Wings would obviously and easily roll to the Finals again.

Either that or they're just schizo. I don't really know. It's impossible to tell what Wings team you're going to get from one shift to the next, and that has to be driving Babcock absolutely insane.

Old
04-19-2010, 02:02 PM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

Quote:
Maybe 1/4 of those games down the stretch featured teams that were playing at a playoff level. It should have set off all kinds of alarm bells when the team would follow up a 1-0 shootout win against the Preds with the stinker they managed to win against the Oilers.

Playing so many bad teams the last 2 weeks of the season lulled them into thinking they were a lot better than they actually are. They started to believe the press that said the Big Red Machine was back and that the Wings would obviously and easily roll to the Finals again.

Either that or they're just schizo. I don't really know. It's impossible to tell what Wings team you're going to get from one shift to the next, and that has to be driving Babcock absolutely insane.
They are paranoid?

Old
04-19-2010, 02:05 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

Quote:

And based on how the Wings have been able to rally for years when facing adversity is it crazy to believe that the players who've been involved in so many big situations will find a way to right the ship? I mean ****, people actually believe its OVER and there's realistically no chance that a) they win the series and even if they do b) they'll be CRUSHED by any other team they've played.

The Wings dominated good teams during the season, Phoenix is a good team that can beat the Wings, I just believe they'll win the next two games handily. After that I don't have a feeling about it.

Old
04-19-2010, 02:17 PM
Eaglepride*
#5 in Wotan we trust

Speaking talentwise we should absolutely destroy the Yotes. I'm just having a -bad- feeling our players look to overconfident. 1 win well great, lets reduce the gas and we'll still win because we are the Wings.

This will lead desaster and not work against good (playoff) teams. Everybody from top to bottom has to show up for at least 60 minutes,s tarting tomorrow. If we win this game, we'll win the series lose it and we're done. I just don't see us taking 4 in a row against this Yotes team.

Eaglepride* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2010, 02:18 PM
MrSandMan*

I'd mortgage the house to bet Wings win in 6.

That said, if they do get upset, does that mean Howard, Lidstrom, Miller, Eaves all re-sign for less than if they were to go deep in the POs?

Also Wolski is a RFA this summer. What would it take to land this kid?

Old
04-19-2010, 02:20 PM
MrSandMan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagleproud View Post
Speaking talentwise we should absolutely destroy the Yotes. I'm just having a -bad- feeling our players look to overconfident. 1 win well great, lets reduce the gas and we'll still win because we are the Wings.

This will lead desaster and not work against good (playoff) teams. Everybody from top to bottom has to show up for at least 60 minutes,s tarting tomorrow. If we win this game, we'll win the series lose it and we're done. I just don't see us taking 4 in a row against this Yotes team.
You mean 3 in a row? History is made all the time... why not add a brilliant comeback to part of their history?

Old
04-19-2010, 02:23 PM
sarcastro

Quote:
And based on how the Wings have been able to rally for years when facing adversity is it crazy to believe that the players who've been involved in so many big situations will find a way to right the ship? I mean ****, people actually believe its OVER and there's realistically no chance that a) they win the series and even if they do b) they'll be CRUSHED by any other team they've played.

The Wings dominated good teams during the season, Phoenix is a good team that can beat the Wings, I just believe they'll win the next two games handily. After that I don't have a feeling about it.
The 2006 Wings had Yzerman, Shanahan, Lidstrom, etc etc etc and they didn't right the ship. Yzerman and Shanahan both left that summer because they didn't want to put in the work required to right the ship.

It's not a big leap at all to assume a team that is not putting in a consistent effort is going to continue to not put in a consistent effort.

The one thing that gives me some hope is that we're not hearing the standard "we're doing all the right things, we just need to keep it up and the puck will start going in the net". That's the death card right there, and you see that quote in the paper just before each time the Wings lose a 1st round series. It means they either think there's nothing they can do better and they're losing anyway, or they don't know what they're doing wrong and therefore can't fix it.

I've seen a lot of quotes in the paper about how they need to tighten up defensively, get more traffic to the net, get more speed through the neutral zone, etc. So they know what's wrong. We'll see if they can fix it...

Old
04-19-2010, 02:27 PM
fimoknete

voted no....
because there is no clutch performance at all. how do you lose 12 overtimes or so in a single season?
and the wings doesn't look very hungry when they are supposed to. never felt convidend in any game the wings played so far. even in game 2.
something is missing in this team.
you only win if you sacrifice what is needed to.
i dont see a victim at all. no efforts. simply to lazy. you will not win the series by beeing talented. you have to use it.
coyotes looks more hungry than the wings.

fimoknete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2010, 02:27 PM
MrSandMan*

Last year nhl had post game pressers. This year I can't find any video of Babcock's post game presser. WTF

Old
04-19-2010, 02:55 PM
Marky9er

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSandMan View Post
I'd mortgage the house to bet Wings win in 6.

That said, if they do get upset, does that mean Howard, Lidstrom, Miller, Eaves all re-sign for less than if they were to go deep in the POs?

Also Wolski is a RFA this summer. What would it take to land this kid?
5-6 million and 4 1st rounders? No thanks. If we are gonna target an RFA, lets go for Chris Stewart because Colorado is going to match pretty much anything so let's help them get their cap up there.

Marky9er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2010, 02:56 PM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

Quote:
The 2006 Wings had Yzerman, Shanahan, Lidstrom, etc etc etc and they didn't right the ship. Yzerman and Shanahan both left that summer because they didn't want to put in the work required to right the ship.

What?

Old
04-19-2010, 03:00 PM
Tomas W

It's 50/50. Which is worse than I expected in beforehand.

Tomas W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2010, 03:06 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

Quote:
I think it's apples and oranges but I'll be like the Wings and not put in the effort to back up the claim.

Old
04-19-2010, 03:07 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post

What?
Pretty much. It's well known that Yzerman retired because he was too much of a ***** to go back to the gym.