HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LD Jaynen Rissling - Calgary Hitmen, WHL (2012 , 197th overall, Washington)

Old
03-07-2012, 07:32 PM
SI90

vCash: 500
LD Jaynen Rissling - Calgary Hitmen, WHL (2012 , 197th overall, Washington)

At 6'4 and 220 pounds he has Good size and wieght. Can anyone tell me more about him and what type of game he plays and what to expect from him at the next level? Thank you...

SI90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 08:05 PM
countrcultur

Doing a profile on him for THW tomorrow, will link.

countrcultur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 08:19 PM
john g

i'm assuming he's the son of the former NCAA player of the same name

john g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 08:51 PM
puckfan13

At that size, I think he'll be selected higher than his ranking indicates.

puckfan13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 10:26 PM
zjh
@ZenonHerasymiuk

Not there mentally. Makes a lot of questionable decisions with the puck. Skating isn't great-gets beat wide too much. Not the worst puck mover, but is prone to turn pucks over.

zjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 10:50 PM
puckfan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjh View Post
Not there mentally. Makes a lot of questionable decisions with the puck. Skating isn't great-gets beat wide too much. Not the worst puck mover, but is prone to turn pucks over.
For a guy that's a late '93, meaning he probably only has one more year in junior if he gets drafted, that's not a great sign. But his tools are there. He had a big growth spurt and bulked up so maybe it can be chalked up to growing pains. Guys with that size are always given the benefit of the doubt. Brett Ponich didn't look terribly amazing in 2009 but still got taken second round.

puckfan13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 12:53 AM
Behind Enemy Lines

Was gaining confidence and playing shutdown minutes with veteran Collin Bowman before getting hurt. Showed pretty big improvement from beginning of the year. Very good size, physical and solid mobility. Not afraid to drop the gloves. Decent pro potential with toolkit and potential as a physical depth dman.

Behind Enemy Lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 09:26 AM
R S

vCash: 1000
I haven't seen the above-mentioned mental mistakes. The only flaw in his current game is overall foot speed. He's a big guy and his skating has taken a step back this year. Like I've said in the past, he seemed to have grown and added weight this past summer and his skating suffered. He looked a step slower than he did as a 16 year old.

I love the frame, love his ability to pass the puck and he reads the play very well. I'm sure his skating will come around.

I see big value here. If he goes outside of the top 90, some team is going to get a great pick.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 09:56 AM
john g

Quote:
Originally Posted by john g View Post
i'm assuming he's the son of the former NCAA player of the same name
on quick research I found the answer to my question, no he is not

john g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 09:56 PM
countrcultur

Here is a player profile on THW http://thehockeywriters.com/jaynen-r...th-big-upside/

I really like his game and agree with renegade, skating needs inprovement but overall an exciting prospect.

Old
03-08-2012, 10:00 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
I haven't seen the above-mentioned mental mistakes. The only flaw in his current game is overall foot speed. He's a big guy and his skating has taken a step back this year. Like I've said in the past, he seemed to have grown and added weight this past summer and his skating suffered. He looked a step slower than he did as a 16 year old.

I love the frame, love his ability to pass the puck and he reads the play very well. I'm sure his skating will come around.

I see big value here. If he goes outside of the top 90, some team is going to get a great pick.
A lot like Ryan O'Byrne?

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 10:21 PM
DangerMan
@danlizee

His frame will be enticing to the scouts, but his mobility is lacking. Decent first pass, does a good job of keeping the front of the net clear, but has a tough time dealing with speed. Offensive upside is pretty low. Not as physical as one would like considering his size. I see him as a 6th or 7th round project.

DangerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 12:39 AM
countrcultur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMan View Post
His frame will be enticing to the scouts, but his mobility is lacking. Decent first pass, does a good job of keeping the front of the net clear, but has a tough time dealing with speed. Offensive upside is pretty low. Not as physical as one would like considering his size. I see him as a 6th or 7th round project.
i think his offensive upside is high. once his skating improves he should be able to use some of the tools that he already shows more effectively. he is a good passer on the PP or when the offence gets established. he rushes a lot, but smartly. i think a lot hinges on his skating and with him having recently grown i think his skating will catch up. he has decent technique and moves laterally decent, just has a big slow stride with seemingly not a bunch of leg strength.

Old
03-19-2012, 01:00 PM
Aaron Vickers
FC Hockey

Send a message via ICQ to Aaron Vickers Send a message via MSN to Aaron Vickers
Talked with Rissling Saturday. He was pretty candid in the interview too.

Quote:
(Ive) just kept an even keel, really, Rissling said. Not too many teams have came up to me, but its more motivation to work harder and get noticed a little bit more. I just use it as motivation to use my game.
http://futureconsiderations.ca/level...g-draft-piece/

Aaron Vickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 03:02 AM
odessa
Ima Firen Mah Lazar

Capitals 7th round pick. Is now a captain of Hitmen. In 22 games 6G + 13A and 26PIM with +2.

Has anyone seen Rissling play lately.. is his skating improved? How does the overall game look? NHL player to compare for?

odessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 09:59 AM
PRNuck
Fire Benning

vCash: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by odessa View Post
Capitals 7th round pick. Is now a captain of Hitmen. In 22 games 6G + 13A and 26PIM with +2.

Has anyone seen Rissling play lately.. is his skating improved? How does the overall game look? NHL player to compare for?
I've been out to a couple games this year. He does everything for the Hitmen this season, logs a ton of ice time. He doesn't really stand out in any way, but for a guy in his role, that's not a bad thing. Skates better than Alex Roach, who was supposed to be a clever signing by the Kings but flamed out in the minors this year and is back with the Hitmen for now. As for a comparable, think of a low profile bottom pairing D-man who can fight. Since he's Caps property, maybe along the lines of a more mobile, but less pugilistic John Erskine.

PRNuck is offline   Reply With Quote