TV and Radio Coverage

Closed Thread

Old
04-19-2010, 12:33 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

vCash: 500
TV and Radio Coverage

Nothing huge...Just a FYI. Vivlamore touched on a couple media contracts in the works in his blog:

Quote:
Iím hearing that SportSouth has re-upped to do Thrashers television for three more seasons. Not sure if that has been out there or not. My understanding is the new deal also includes an increase in the number of games aired each season with up to 75 in the third year. I will let you know if I find out something more.

Also the radio deal with 680 The Fan expired after this recently completed season. My understanding that a deal there is being worked on and may well get done, but nothing official yet so stay tuned.
IMO...It may do the Thrash good to try 790 for a couple seasons. They get lower ratings, buy I think they would get more coverage. 680 has college football rammed so far up their *****, they barely touch any other sport, and when it's time to spend their 2 mins on the team, they trash them.

However, 680 has a stronger signal...

Old
04-19-2010, 12:58 PM
flerd_trandle

The Thrashers started on 790. 790's coverage was just as bad as 680's has been.

Old
04-19-2010, 12:59 PM
The Sneak

They need to court WSB. The blowtorch of the south that can be heard just about everywhere east of the Mississip'. 750 could use some sports programming and the Thrashers could use the exposure

Old
04-19-2010, 01:19 PM
dj4aces

Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sneak View Post
They need to court WSB. The blowtorch of the south that can be heard just about everywhere east of the Mississip'. 750 could use some sports programming and the Thrashers could use the exposure
Unfortunately, the 7p-10p slot is taken up by "The New Herman Cain Show." From 10p-1a, it's Michael Savage. "Hot air radio" tends to pull in a lot of listeners, as well as business advertising dollars. It'd have to be a pretty sweet deal for AM750 to bite on the Thrashers.

Regardless, I'd love to see it happen. 680 and 790 reception sucks pretty hardcore, but 750 is as clear as a bell, pretty much everywhere.

Old
04-19-2010, 03:58 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

You can't even get 790 outside of 285 after dark, plus they own the Hawks radio rights. 680 is as good a fit as you will get.

Old
04-19-2010, 04:54 PM
AintLifeGrand

I'm a big proponent for staying with 680 the fan. I live ITP and I remember when the Thrash had 790 I couldn't even pick it up at my house off Briarcliff Rd.

Glad to see SS re-upping with the Thrash; However I would like for them to explore the possibility of expanding coverage to Peachtree TV. I think the Thrashers need to have a basic cable affiliate as well (ala UPN in the early years). Plus Peachtree TV is beamed to Canada for some strange reason, so its not like ratings would suck...

Old
04-19-2010, 05:11 PM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

vCash: 1165
Quote:
Originally Posted by AintLifeGrand View Post
I'm a big proponent for staying with 680 the fan. I live ITP and I remember when the Thrash had 790 I couldn't even pick it up at my house off Briarcliff Rd.

Glad to see SS re-upping with the Thrash; However I would like for them to explore the possibility of expanding coverage to Peachtree TV. I think the Thrashers need to have a basic cable affiliate as well (ala UPN in the early years). Plus Peachtree TV is beamed to Canada for some strange reason, so its not like ratings would suck...
WHAT?!?! Are you serious?!?!

Old
04-19-2010, 05:20 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

it would be nice to get in on some form, even small, of national coverage like the braves had with TBS. that combined with winning at the same time is what made the braves a nationally liked team. if it worked for them it could work for us. but of course that's not happening.

as for radio, it all sucks pretty much on AM. maybe project 96.1 might want to replace the lost braves coverage and the thrashers might make a better fit to their audience. might explore that option.

Old
04-19-2010, 05:49 PM
Enstrom39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes 10 View Post
it would be nice to get in on some form, even small, of national coverage like the braves had with TBS. that combined with winning at the same time is what made the braves a nationally liked team. if it worked for them it could work for us. but of course that's not happening.

as for radio, it all sucks pretty much on AM. maybe project 96.1 might want to replace the lost braves coverage and the thrashers might make a better fit to their audience. might explore that option.
NHL TV contract with Versus precludes Thrashers games being on a Superstation like TBS or TNT.

Old
04-19-2010, 05:57 PM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes 10 View Post

That would be awesome.

Old
04-19-2010, 06:01 PM
netminder17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke49 View Post
Yep its true. I don't know why it is, but it is.

Old
04-19-2010, 06:59 PM
dj4aces

Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
Quote:
Originally Posted by AintLifeGrand View Post
I live OTP and can't get 680 OR 790 at my house. My best bet is hitting up the online stream on the 680 website.

Old
04-19-2010, 11:23 PM
Shameus

I agree that moving the team to an FM signal would be great. I think keeping it on an AM signal that can not reach a great number of fans at night during broadcasts is a hindrance and not a help to the team.

Besides if Kincade talking about the team is all the extra exposure the team is going to get, thanks but no thanks. He was talking the other day about the team and was not very flattering. Apparently when HiBob was the coach, he used to get to ride on the charter to away games and get inside info from the locker room. Anderson put an end to that and he was more than happy to see him go. His choice for a replacement, Mike Keenan. That tole me all I need to know to sum up his hockey insight. He does talk about the team, but it is usually to bash the team.

As far as the Peachtree TV thing, yup it is true. I have seen posters on the playoff board talking about it.

Old
04-20-2010, 04:03 PM
StevenintheATL

Quote:
It's true.

It goes back to when the CRTC approved "Superstation" WTBS to be carried on Canadian cable TV as a premium channel. When the WTBS feed and the TBS feed became two separate feeds back in 1990s, the WTBS feed was the approved feed in Canada while the TBS national feed was carried by some operators in Canada without CRTC approval. So when WTBS rebranded as WPCH/Peachtree TV, the feed was also carried by the cable companies in Canada as well.

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/publications/satlist.htm

I definitely think that they should consider Peachtree TV as a potential local broadcaster. The Thrashers have not had an over-the-air since WUPA showed games prior to the Lockout.

I also agree that they need to find an FM radio partner for games. I remember when they would broadcast most Saturday night games on Z-93. When you consider that Project 9-6-1 does do some ticket deals at Thrashers games, they would be a good fit as an FM partner.

Having games on an AM station that has to power down at night it not very conducive to broaden the teams' fan base. I don't think WSB would be interested in picking up the Thrashers. They've previously been the flagship station for the Braves, the Hawks and the Falcons and have over time dropped them when the contracts were up to focus on more bloviators and less sports (UGA football and basketball).

WSB doesn't have to power down at night because they are designated a "clear channel" station and are allowed to broadcast at the same power 24/7. As a result of the clear channel rules, many radio stations on the AM dial are forced to either power down or go off the air until daybreak (For example, 680 The Fan broadcasts at 50,000 watts during the day [the same as WSB AM] but powers down to 10,000 watts at night. 790 broadcasts at 28,000 watts during the day and powers down to 1000 watts at night.) so not to cause interference to those stations nationwide (as well as some stations outside of the US).

Old
04-20-2010, 04:21 PM
Thrashers94
We fly as one

Quote:
Nova Scotia only from what I heard Braves announcer's say last year.

Old
04-20-2010, 04:25 PM
KevFist
is best pony

If the Thrashers went to Peachtree TV, that would be a bad thing as far as I'm concerned. SportSouth is a regional network. I don't get peachtree TV over here!

Old
04-20-2010, 05:03 PM
flerd_trandle

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenintheATL View Post
It's true.
When you consider that Project 9-6-1 does do some ticket deals at Thrashers games, they would be a good fit as an FM partner.
Isn't Shaffee the PA announcer for Thrashers games?

http://www.project961.com/pages/shaffee.html

Old
04-21-2010, 04:04 PM
Ashe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrashers94 View Post
Nova Scotia only from what I heard Braves announcer's say last year.
Negative. I get it as well in saskatoon. But peachtree is all sitcoms. Nothing but sitcoms.

When we had TBS we got braves baseball, but the rebrand or whatever decided sitcoms were better. which is terrible.

Old
04-21-2010, 04:18 PM
AintLifeGrand

Last summer I went to an Indycar Race in Toronto and I remember watching Peachtree TV from my hotel TV....don't recall watching any Bravos games...anyone know if they air beamed to Canada?

Old
04-21-2010, 06:01 PM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashe View Post
Negative. I get it as well in saskatoon. But peachtree is all sitcoms. Nothing but sitcoms.

When we had TBS we got braves baseball, but the rebrand or whatever decided sitcoms were better. which is terrible.
Seinfeld and Family Guy don't do it for you?

Old
04-22-2010, 02:56 PM
Ashe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DungeonK View Post
Seinfeld and Family Guy don't do it for you?
Seinfeld is terrible.
Family guy got over played after seeing the same episode once a month.

Old
04-22-2010, 09:45 PM
Aaronxxx

a person who doesn't watch seinfeld is not much a person at all

Old
04-22-2010, 11:27 PM
dj4aces

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaronxxx View Post
a person who doesn't watch seinfeld is not much a person at all
Seinfeld just isn't a funny show, and I've never seen the appeal of it. There's no hockey, therefore, it's not worth watching.

For the record, hockey is the only reason there is to turn on a television.

Closed Thread