HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A Different Draft Day Scenario

Old
04-20-2010, 05:44 PM
Soundwave

vCash: 500
If we're going to deal Hemsky in the service of a rebuild -- here's an easy one -- Hemsky for Price straight up.

At least we'd likely be set in goal for the next 8-10 years.

Or go bigger, Hemsky + Cogliano + EDM 2nd for Bobby Ryan.

Despite the objections from Pens fans, IMO if the Pens don't repeat this year, I think Jordan Staal will be available this summer too if the deal is right.

I'd really rather we get a player we know we can use and fills a definite need for Hemsky than "gambling" on a 4-8 range pick.

Soundwave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 05:50 PM
ponokanocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
With a Hall/Seguin this year and a Larsson/Couturier next year, we could have a 2008-esque Chicago Blackhawks team.
There is no way this team is a bottom 3 team again next year if Hemsky and Penner are healthy, and we have a normal year for injuries. We will be back on the bubble again. If we move Hemsky and Penner this offseason, then yah, we have our chance at Larsson/Couturier.

ponokanocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 05:56 PM
MinnesotaFats

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponokanocker View Post
There is no way this team is a bottom 3 team again next year if Hemsky and Penner are healthy, and we have a normal year for injuries. We will be back on the bubble again. If we move Hemsky and Penner this offseason, then yah, we have our chance at Larsson/Couturier.
Hemsky and Penner don't help the porous defense and abysmal goaltending (arguably, neither does a healthy Bulin). Even with Hemmer, we are looking at a top 10 pick. It wasnt even close this year. We were 28 points away from being a bubble team. Hemsky isnt going to buy us 14 more wins.

MinnesotaFats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 05:58 PM
MinnesotaFats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
If we're going to deal Hemsky in the service of a rebuild -- here's an easy one -- Hemsky for Price straight up.

At least we'd likely be set in goal for the next 8-10 years.

Or go bigger, Hemsky + Cogliano + EDM 2nd for Bobby Ryan.

Despite the objections from Pens fans, IMO if the Pens don't repeat this year, I think Jordan Staal will be available this summer too if the deal is right.

I'd really rather we get a player we know we can use and fills a definite need for Hemsky than "gambling" on a 4-8 range pick.
Id love to get Staal. You're other proposals, especially the Ryan one, are whack.

Old
04-20-2010, 06:02 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnesotaFats View Post
Id love to get Staal. You're other proposals, especially the Ryan one, are whack.
In what way?

Old
04-20-2010, 06:10 PM
McCupofOil
Bob The Builder

Quote:
In what way?
The Oilers will have to part with more than that to pry Ryan from the Ducks, the guy is a 35 goal scorer and is only getting better, the Oilers would have to part with at least MPS or Eberle++ to get Ryan

McCupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 06:58 PM
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenzOil View Post
and a 5th overall pick is better then him because........

would you trade him straight up for Brayden Schenn? how about Filatov? or Luke Schenn ..Alzner? or Kessel ? Carey Price? Blake Wheeler? Al Montoya

Chistov, Torres and Ryan Whitney being the other 5th overall picks of this decade.
Hall, Seguin, Gudbranson, Connolly, or Fowler for Hemsky. Yes I would do that deal. Because all these players FIT better than Hemsky does. You do realize that you don't have to **** teams in every trade to do a deal don't you? Sometimes trades can be done because they make sense for BOTH sides. These players fit in with the core we will be building around, and they all have higher ceiling's then what Hemsky has now. Could they bust and Hemsky become a superstar? Sure, but you take that risk in every deal. I guarentee you didn't think we would lose that O'Sullivan deal when we made it did you. When we are ready to win in 3 years or so, Hemsky will either be gone or overpriced.

As for would I trade him for any of those players you mentioned? I would for Braydon Schenn because we need a centre like Schenn more then we need a winger like Hemsky going forward. I would for Filatov (was 6th not 5th) because he will be better then Hemsky and fits in better with the core going forward. I would for Luke Schenn because he is a BEAST defensivly and will be a captain and fits in better with our core going forward. I wouldn't for Alzner, but I love Alzner. I without a doubt would for Kessel because Kessel is already better, only costs a mil more a year and fits in better with our core going forward. It would be close with Price. I don't think I would but I strongly believe Price will become that elite goaltender many have projected him to be. I wouldn't for Blake Wheeler. You notice a trend with the guys I wouldn't move him for? They were weak drafts! This isn't a weak draft!

Zach and Slater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 07:00 PM
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I'm pretty sure we have ******ed back and forth about certain issues before, but we could not agree more on the rebuild!

Zach and Slater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 07:13 PM
MinnesotaFats

Quote:
In what way?
I dont see any reason for the Ducks to make the move.

Old
04-20-2010, 09:02 PM
Game 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behind Enemy Lines View Post
Okay all Oil fans agree this team needs both a franchise right handed centreman and a pure, electric goalscoring machine. I give you this scenario for consideration:

With the First Overall Pick, Edmonton Oilers draft from the Windsor Spitfire, Taylor Hall.

And with the (three through five pick to be determined via trade), Edmonton Oilers draft from the Portland Winterhawks, centreman Ryan Johansen. As with Seguin, Johansen is a draft year climber just now growing into his sizable frame and displaying elite skill. He has broken through with an exceptional WHL playoffs leading the underdog Winterhawks deep into the playoffs.

Here's some video evidence of this kid's elite skill set against two of the WHL's best defensive teams. His upside is immense. I don't think he slips beyond Columbus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaqU9...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WU__A...eature=related

What are your thoughts about beginning the rebuild with two elite talents who deliver critical areas of
need this team has lacked FOREVER?
BEL I think you are an effin genius!!! I just donknow what it would take to pull this off as you mentioned. Now of we somehow added McIlrath wow!!

Game 8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 09:28 PM
Oiler Lover

Penner and the kids are the core to build around. These draftees are too much of a crap shoot to trade away Penner or the kids for. One thing that is overlooked with Penner, how many games did he miss due to injury this past year? One...he's a durable player who can score. I'd much rather have Penner with the Oilers than those other guys that get injured the minute they sneeze or hit the boards.

Oiler Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 11:34 PM
Behind Enemy Lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game 8 View Post
BEL I think you are an effin genius!!! I just donknow what it would take to pull this off as you mentioned. Now of we somehow added McIlrath wow!!
Lol. You just named another one of my draft favorites in McIlrath. Although I like Gudbranson a bit more. I am very, very high on Johansen.

There has been a lot of great discussion on this thread including philosophical ones around the value of established players vs. draft picks. Most posters have identified Hemsky as the asset likely required to get it done.

My own general rule is to not trade established players for lottery tickets. Hemsky is someone I would be very reluctant to part without assurance of a NHL proven talent coming back. The risk-reward is generally too high to cover the bet with near or equivalent future return.

That said, if (idle) speculation has any merit that Hemsky is disgruntled about his contract; tired of losing; wants out to play on a winner; or on the flipside, management and coaching don't feel his style or possibly individualistic play doesn't fit this team's vision moving forward, then all bets may be off. Hemsky is a known quantity with a proven body of work; contract certainty for two years; and only entering his peak production years. A coveted asset.

This is a unique year for the Oilers. A weight has been lifted; the word 'rebuild' admitted and said publicly; and the first overall pick to begin a new era. With that unprecedented and thorough scouting invested to enact this new era beginning with the draft. It might just provide the perfect circumstances to make such a big, bold decision like moving Hemsky for a piece of a future cornerstone.

Big risk. Big reward. I'd look long and hard at a scenario that might land this franchise cornerstone players like Hall and Johansen.

Behind Enemy Lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 01:46 AM
enthropi

Are people aware that Gagner is a RH C? I really doubt any C outside of Seguin in this draft will be better than him.

enthropi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 02:07 AM
KingKhron

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
We would be lucky to get that much to be honest.
Quote:
Thats my thinking, but classic HFOil overvaluing of players reigns supreme over reason once again.
It surprises me that you think that 8th overall and a "player" is what we would be lucky to get for Hemsky and the 31st overall. As I'm sure others have spoken about already, the odds that we get a player close to his talent is not good. I think this is more a classic overvaluing of potential over proven. The argument seems primarily based around the fact that he is leaving in two years. Well, that seems like a system that keeps us in perpetual rebuild. We can't trade every player we think is going to leave a few years down the road.

KingKhron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 02:49 PM
MinnesotaFats

A tip of the hat to an now banned brother in arms for pointing this out. Elliotte Friedman weighs in on the debate.

17. Edmonton should consider trading is Ales Hemsky. With two years left on a good-value contract, they'll get serious offers.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/ellio...owed-goal.html

Old
04-21-2010, 10:21 PM
moneygoalie31

Hemsky,Cogliano and 3rd for Filatov,Boll and 3rd overall

I dont like trading Hemmer but I believe this deal gets us Seguin at #3. I have a gut feeling when the Oilers take Hall number 1, the Bruins will look to shore up the blueline with Fowler,Gromley or Gundbranson. I know boston had scoring problems this year but, Ryder,Wheeler,Krecji were off, Savard,Lucic were hurt, In general many players slumped. The Bruins are stacked at center and have a tonn of talent up front even without Kessel. They just had down years and can snap back easily. The Bruins in my opinion are thin on the blueline and might go fishing for a top notch d man hoping to end up with a Doughty type player. If we can do the above trade I think the Oilers might end up with both Hall and Seguin. Bruins have dont need a center, they want Hall. If they cant get him I think they go Dman. Just a hunch (hope) but I dont think it is out of the relm of possibility.

moneygoalie31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 10:24 PM
Seachd

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneygoalie31 View Post

I dont like trading Hemmer but I believe this deal gets us Seguin at #3. I have a gut feeling when the Oilers take Hall number 1, the Bruins will look to shore up the blueline with Fowler,Gromley or Gundbranson.
Chiarelli's already said they're getting a high-scoring forward with the #2 pick. I have a hard time believing they'd take a d-man.

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 10:26 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneygoalie31 View Post

I dont like trading Hemmer but I believe this deal gets us Seguin at #3. I have a gut feeling when the Oilers take Hall number 1, the Bruins will look to shore up the blueline with Fowler,Gromley or Gundbranson. I know boston had scoring problems this year but, Ryder,Wheeler,Krecji were off, Savard,Lucic were hurt, In general many players slumped. The Bruins are stacked at center and have a tonn of talent up front even without Kessel. They just had down years and can snap back easily. The Bruins in my opinion are thin on the blueline and might go fishing for a top notch d man hoping to end up with a Doughty type player. If we can do the above trade I think the Oilers might end up with both Hall and Seguin. Bruins have dont need a center, they want Hall. If they cant get him I think they go Dman. Just a hunch (hope) but I dont think it is out of the relm of possibility.
If we can get that kind of return I would be open to making the deal. But I dunno if Columbus would bite.

Old
04-21-2010, 10:33 PM
moneygoalie31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd View Post
Chiarelli's already said they're getting a high-scoring forward with the #2 pick. I have a hard time believing they'd take a d-man.
I just said it was a hunch, I dont put much stock into what GM's tell the media about the draft. Mabey he is telling the truth but I just think the bruins drafting a top blueliner isnt out of the question.

moneygoalie31 is offline   Reply With Quote