Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Notices

So we need a Center right??

Old
04-30-2010, 07:53 AM
BigT2002

vCash: 50
So we need a Center right??

Why not bring Matt Cullen back home?? UFA, coming off the Sens playoff series loss and posted decent numbers before playing with Alfie on the same line.

Just a thought when it comes to all the proposals as of late. Get someone who can contribute for 2-3 more years to the team until Wellman is fully prepped to take over the role as #2 center.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 10:08 AM
mnwildgophers

vCash: 500
I'm in favor of it, it depends on where he wants to go and money.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 11:49 AM
UMD05
Hobey Baker Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
Why not bring Matt Cullen back home?? UFA, coming off the Sens playoff series loss and posted decent numbers before playing with Alfie on the same line.

Just a thought when it comes to all the proposals as of late. Get someone who can contribute for 2-3 more years to the team until Wellman is fully prepped to take over the role as #2 center.
Seems like it could be the most fiscally responsible FA move as far as 2nd line centers go. I'm not ready to pencil Wellman in at #2 a few years from now though.

UMD05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 12:09 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Great idea

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 12:19 PM
Jbcraig1883

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMD Bob View Post
Seems like it could be the most fiscally responsible FA move as far as 2nd line centers go. I'm not ready to pencil Wellman in at #2 a few years from now though.
I know we only saw him for about a dozen games but I see Wellman being more successful as a winger at the NHL level. His speed and shot are his two assets. He isn't big enough to cycle and had a hard time along the backchecking as a centermen. I believe letting him find open areas on the ice and getting shots off will be keys to his success.

Jbcraig1883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 01:14 PM
mnwildgophers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocksta18 View Post
I know we only saw him for about a dozen games but I see Wellman being more successful as a winger at the NHL level. His speed and shot are his two assets. He isn't big enough to cycle and had a hard time along the backchecking as a centermen. I believe letting him find open areas on the ice and getting shots off will be keys to his success.
I agree with that, but maybe he could bulk up well this summer. We can't know that yet, either way he needs to get accustomed to the NHL level in which he does have speed and a shot. He'll score many goals. I'd rather see us sign a center/have PMB fill in there while he plays on a top line with Brunette and Koivu. He seems like he would have all the opportunity in the world to succeed and I don't think he would disappoint there. We'll have to wait and see what transpires this summer in the way of FA. Our prospect pool should look pretty good after this draft, or at least that's what we can hope for.

Old
04-30-2010, 01:49 PM
BigT2002

vCash: 50
Well the reason I say Cullen, is we don't need anything super long term correct? Almond, Brodziak, Wellman, Koivu, and maybe Nolan to an extent if he resigns. Gives us enough time to let the two youngguns get their handle on faceoffs and playing the position at the big daddy level, while we still have a competent center who can field the 2nd PP line.

Plus we don't have to make a significant trade to a team within our conference (we tend to trade within it a hell of a lot more than to the East) that results in loss prospects and/or picks for a player that we do need immediately but we have the replacement already signed.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 02:14 PM
mnwildgophers

I wonder if he will want to sign here. He spent a lot of time in the east, but I'm sure GMCF will look at all of the possibilities. I'd like to see him in a Wild sweater.

Old
04-30-2010, 06:18 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

1. So we sign Cullen to a 1 year deal. Then what? He might be a nice stop gap, but he's not a long term answer, unless the Brass feels Wellman or Cody Almond is the guy.
2. Whoever was correct that Wellman is better off on the wing. I'm sure he could fill in if needed, but I think he's better suited on the wing.

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote