HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

ATD Chat Room II (all non-ATD topics here)

Closed Thread

Old
03-06-2011, 03:48 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
I see a lot of flake and floater in him, but I don't know who would ever call him a sissy.
Agree. And Reds called Kovalchuk a "great player." I would absolutely not call him that, at least not yet. He's a fantastic individual hockey talent, but he hasn't learned how to be a "great" player. The good news is that he obviously wants to - but he needs a coach who isn't a stiff and a winning environment.

Kovalchuk's biggest problem in NJ is that he is actually willing to work hard when he's feeling good about his game. But when he gets frustrated, he goes back into floating mode, pressing too hard to try to score and not doing the hard work.

Old
03-06-2011, 03:50 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReenMachine View Post
what kind of music do you guys listen to?
Punk rock from the late 70s - early 90s.

And Ludwig von Beethoven.

Old
03-07-2011, 08:14 AM
MadArcand
We do not sow

A question to those using Google News archives: is there a way to copy the text from there or does one really have to painstakingly rewrite it all manually?

Old
03-07-2011, 08:25 AM
EagleBelfour

vCash: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadArcand View Post
A question to those using Google News archives: is there a way to copy the text from there or does one really have to painstakingly rewrite it all manually?
I wish!

---

If I read: Detroit's lanky centre, what does lanky is suppose to mean in the is context? I used google translator, but I don't even know the word in French!

Using web definition, it would mean tall, thin and ungraceful, is anyone agree?

Old
03-07-2011, 08:27 AM
MadArcand
We do not sow

ungracefully thin and rawboned; bony; gaunt

dictionary.com ftw

(I always thought lanky is thin *and* tall, but apparently not )

Old
03-07-2011, 08:29 AM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

MOVITS!

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-col...-del-av-garden

Give the music 30 seconds and you'll be hooked! Swedish swing rap in a jazz style! Nothing like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8fIVTH0TiM

Old
03-07-2011, 08:35 AM
EagleBelfour

Quote:
ungracefully thin and rawboned; bony; gaunt

dictionary.com ftw

(I always thought lanky is thin *and* tall, but apparently not )
Thanks!

Is anyone else know if there's a way to look at those New York Times article without spending 4.00$ on EACH articles? When researching players, it's quite frustrating to see a nice quote on a player, but you can't finish it!

Like this one:

$3.95 - New York Times
And between them will be xxx , one of the most ...

... Damn, I want to know who xxx was one of the most at what!

Last edited by EagleBelfour: 03-07-2011 at 09:10 AM.
Old
03-07-2011, 09:23 AM
nik jr

Quote:
i type them out. i know no other way.

but someone may know how to make a screenshot. screenshots may be difficult to read, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleBelfour View Post
Thanks!

Is anyone else know if there's a way to look at those New York Times article without spending 4.00$ on EACH articles? When researching players, it's quite frustrating to see a nice quote on a player, but you can't finish it!

Like this one:

$3.95 - New York Times
And between them will be xxx , one of the most ...

... Damn, I want to know who xxx was one of the most at what!
overpass may be able to help you.

i think 70s used to have a NYT subscription, but canceled it.

Old
03-07-2011, 09:46 AM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik jr View Post
That's correct. It was worth it, before the google news archive was built up. Now that it is, I can't justify $18 a month just to increase the wealth of information at my fingertips by another 10%.

Old
03-07-2011, 09:51 AM
MadArcand
We do not sow

Quote:

but someone may know how to make a screenshot. screenshots may be difficult to read, though.

Man I'm such a moron, why didn't I think of screenshoting? Argh!

Thank you, you just made making my future bios much less painful.

Old
03-07-2011, 09:59 AM
seventieslord

...or get a type-to-text program. Dragon Naturally Speaking is pretty awesome. Without it, there is no way I would have the time in my life to write bios anymore.

Old
03-07-2011, 10:01 AM
EagleBelfour

Quote:
That's correct. It was worth it, before the google news archive was built up. Now that it is, I can't justify $18 a month just to increase the wealth of information at my fingertips by another 10%.
Most definitely, although the resource is huge for New York Rangers players.

Old
03-07-2011, 11:21 AM
overpass

Quote:

overpass may be able to help you.

I'm afraid my NYT access just expired.

It would have been very useful for researching Camille Henry.

I usually type things out from Google News. I did try using OneNote's OCR to pull the text from the images, but it wasn't good enough to make it worth it.

Here's an example of the OCR performance. IMO it takes enough editing afterward that it's not worth it.

Quote:
ToLEDO — (ary Bergman, who has been bumpnng the Montreal Canadiens around without much trouble, almost got knocked out of the Stanley cup playoffs wednesday - by an automobile.
The Detroit Red wings’ dc fencoman slipped on a ram- slick street and feli In front of a moving car. By the time the unidentified driver was able to stop, one front wheel or the car was resuing against Bergnan’s leg and the bumpe er was extended over us body
Bergman, u n d er standably shaken by the experience, said he was about to get Into a car to drive some of his Detroit teammates to a Toledo theatre when he slpped and fell.
“1 tried to scramble up but I couldn't.” he said. whcn the car stopped the tue was against my leg. It was a deviL of an expedience."

Old
03-07-2011, 11:47 AM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by overpass View Post
I'm afraid my NYT access just expired.

It would have been very useful for researching Camille Henry.

I usually type things out from Google News. I did try using OneNote's OCR to pull the text from the images, but it wasn't good enough to make it worth it.

Here's an example of the OCR performance. IMO it takes enough editing afterward that it's not worth it.
That is terrible; yet, it is an infinitely better result than I ever attained when I experimented with OCR.

Old
03-07-2011, 12:06 PM
overpass

Quote:
That is terrible; yet, it is an infinitely better result than I ever attained when I experimented with OCR.
That was a very clean article. It's much worse on older articles where the text isn't as clear.

Old
03-07-2011, 06:15 PM
vancityluongo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sabre View Post
MOVITS!

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-col...-del-av-garden

Give the music 30 seconds and you'll be hooked! Swedish swing rap in a jazz style! Nothing like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8fIVTH0TiM
That was pretty interesting. On the topic of Swedish music:

Champs.

Old
03-08-2011, 08:37 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Over/under for amount of games Chara is suspended?

Old
03-08-2011, 08:51 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
Over/under for amount of games Chara is suspended?
Given that it's Colin Campbell, probably a game. But since that would hurt his son's team, probably just a fine.

Old
03-08-2011, 08:56 PM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

vCash: 50
If you watch the slow-motion Chara just knew what he did , it's incredible how stupid and dirty that was.Pacioretty 'barely touched him after scoring his goal 2 mtl-bos games ago , and Chara thought it was appropriate to answer like that.

EagleBelfour should be ashame to have this son of a b**** on his ATD blueline as a habs fan from now on.

Old
03-08-2011, 08:58 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReenMachine View Post
If you watch the slow-motion Chara just knew what he did , it's incredible how stupid and dirty that was.Pacioretty 'barely touched him after scoring his goal 2 mtl-bos games ago , and Chara thought it was appropriate to answer like that.

EagleBelfour should be ashame to have this son of a b**** on his ATD blueline as a habs fan from now on.
Yeah, the fact it was Pacioretty and considering the history Chara should get a lengthy suspension. Not a gentle giant, we're talking about Colin Campbell here though.

Last edited by monster_bertuzzi: 03-08-2011 at 09:04 PM.
Old
03-08-2011, 09:30 PM
John Flyers Fan

He deserves 6-8, he'll get off with 1 game at the very most, and probably not even that.

Old
03-08-2011, 09:55 PM
markrander87

As a Bruin fan, I've noticed Chara and Max going back and forth for several games now. It absoluetly was intentional but because of Chara's fairly clean resume we are looking at 1-2 games max IMO.

Old
03-08-2011, 11:22 PM
vecens24

I'm really not sure I see intent there. He's trying to seal him off with the body and gets there late. That's a bad break that glass is there. I really can't see any player with Chara's resume of pretty clean play doing that intentionally, no matter how much he hates Pacioretty. Chara's going full boar trying to seal him off. I don't think you make that play in such a split second.

With their history, I have no problem with him getting a game or so. But to be honest, all I see there is an interference penalty. A terrible terrible result and a terrible terrible sound, but if I'm Campbell I give him a game ONLY for outside perspective purposes (Campbell's son on the team, he and Pacioretty's history). But to be honest, I wouldn't have suspended him otherwise.

Old
03-08-2011, 11:32 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by vecens24 View Post
I'm really not sure I see intent there. He's trying to seal him off with the body and gets there late. That's a bad break that glass is there. I really can't see any player with Chara's resume of pretty clean play doing that intentionally, no matter how much he hates Pacioretty. Chara's going full boar trying to seal him off. I don't think you make that play in such a split second.

With their history, I have no problem with him getting a game or so. But to be honest, all I see there is an interference penalty. A terrible terrible result and a terrible terrible sound, but if I'm Campbell I give him a game ONLY for outside perspective purposes (Campbell's son on the team, he and Pacioretty's history). But to be honest, I wouldn't have suspended him otherwise.
I don't know how you can say that especially with Chara angry with Pacorietty for his love tap after that goal a couple months ago. If there was no history than this is probably not even suspension worthy.

Old
03-08-2011, 11:39 PM
vecens24

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
I don't know how you can say that especially with Chara angry with Pacorietty for his love tap after that goal a couple months ago. If there was no history than this is probably not even suspension worthy.
I know they have a history. That's why I say that I have zero problem with the 5 min major and a a game or so. But really, there's no proof he did this on purpose. Chara is a guy that has a pretty clean resume. I don't think he's going to make a split second decision that while sealing him off he's going to ride him into the boards and destroy him either. It's not like that situation comes up a ton in a game. I honestly think he forgot that board was there.

Closed Thread