HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

ATD Chat Room II (all non-ATD topics here)

Closed Thread

Old
03-08-2011, 11:39 PM
monster_bertuzzi

vCash: 500
And my god, if that was Trevor Gillies instead of Chara people would be calling for a lifetime ban.

Old
03-08-2011, 11:51 PM
vecens24

Also I was wrong, according to McKenzie, COlin Campbell recused himself or was recused from making a ruling because his son's on the team, so Mike Murphy will be making the ruling.

I really enjoy agreeing with Bobby Mac on stuff though because I consider him to be the smartest guy in the biz of hockey reporting. He says 2 games would be his ruling.

Old
03-09-2011, 01:51 AM
DoMakc

Too bad there is no Darren McCarthy on Habs' roster.

Old
03-09-2011, 02:43 AM
MadArcand
We do not sow

So much uproar... I just saw the 'hit', and frankly, that shouldn't lead to any suspension. Were the boards not constructed idiotically, it would barely be interference.

Old
03-09-2011, 11:50 AM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadArcand View Post
So much uproar... I just saw the 'hit', and frankly, that shouldn't lead to any suspension. Were the boards not constructed idiotically, it would barely be interference.
Seriously. I mean, it's Zdeno freaking Chara - the guy could murder Pacioretty if he wanted to, in a much less obvious way than this. Just punch him in the face and he'd crumple.

I actually agree with McKenzie's column that if it wasn't for the way the boards were constructed, it would be 2 minutes for intereference. I see Chara beaten wide by a fast player from the Canadiens (shocking I know ), and then interfere.

I also agree with McKenzie, however, that it was an illegal play (even if only interference) and players are responsible for the outcome of illegal plays. 2-4 games sounds right. The NHL really wants players to be more aware of not injuring the heads of other players.

Old
03-09-2011, 11:55 AM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

In slow-mo you see Chara knew what he was doing , he clearly wanted Pacioretty to hit that post , but I'm sure he didn't want to hurt him that bad.

LOL at people saying ''if they were somewhere else in the ice , it would have been a mere 2 min'' , yeah but guess what , they were exactly there and they knew it , it's like if I push you on the edge of a mountain and you happen to fall , but to my defense I say , if I pushed you somewhere else it would have been a ''mere push''

Old
03-09-2011, 12:39 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReenMachine View Post
In slow-mo you see Chara knew what he was doing , he clearly wanted Pacioretty to hit that post , but I'm sure he didn't want to hurt him that bad.

LOL at people saying ''if they were somewhere else in the ice , it would have been a mere 2 min'' , yeah but guess what , they were exactly there and they knew it , it's like if I push you on the edge of a mountain and you happen to fall , but to my defense I say , if I pushed you somewhere else it would have been a ''mere push''
It's really hard for me to tell Chara's intent other than "this (expletive, who I already can't stand) beat me wide, I want to rough him up."

I saw comparisons to some of the worst incidents in NHL history before I saw the hit, and there is no way it was that dirty, regardless of the results.

Old
03-09-2011, 03:33 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

I'm honestly surprised that Chara wasn't suspended for a few games.

Old
03-09-2011, 03:34 PM
John Flyers Fan

I think anyone that doesn't think that Chara didn't know exactly what he was doing is delusional.

These players, especially the best of the best know exactly where they are on the ice at all times. Chara certainly knew that he was driving MaxPac's head into the stansion.

The league is so predictable when it comes to discipline it's a joke.

Exact same hit, if that's Jan Hejda delivering the hit to Henrik Zetterberg it's 4-6 games.

Old
03-09-2011, 03:53 PM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
It's really hard for me to tell Chara's intent other than "this (expletive, who I already can't stand) beat me wide, I want to rough him up."

I saw comparisons to some of the worst incidents in NHL history before I saw the hit, and there is no way it was that dirty, regardless of the results.
watch every version from every feed and especially the one in slow motion , it's so obvious it's painful to watch. XXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX .Chara is a punk , he lost his cool big time with this one.You just know he hated the kid , and we should sit here and believe him when he says he didn't knew he was close to the bench post.It was 4-0 , with 15 second to in the period.Game was over.People defending this guy are worst than him.Don't even let me start on the little Lucic clownery at the end of the game with Pouliot , just to prove the Bruins are acting like a bunch of highschool bullies that didn't mature.Looks like they influence each other into disgraceful goonery , there's also the Campbell hit by behind on Pouliot at the end of the game , but nobody noticed after what had happened.They clearly didn't understand anything after the 22 years old kid was completely out inconscious on the ice for many seconds.Scary to watch these clowns at it.I'm all for physical play and it's my cup of coffee in hockey , I just love it , but this is not a part of the game , the bruins were out to injured the habs player from the moment the puck was on the ice the first second.

Last edited by seventieslord: 03-09-2011 at 04:42 PM. Reason: you can't say stuff like that in here...
Old
03-09-2011, 04:26 PM
jkrx

Nothing wrong with the hit itself, its interference. Not surprised he didn't get a suspension.

Old
03-09-2011, 04:30 PM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

it's the circumstances.The Bruins vibe of trying to destroy us physically within the rules or not , the gonnery that took place after the tragic incident , and the historic of Chara-Pacioretty.Hard to give him a pass.

I know I lost all respect for Chara & Lucic , and especially that little punk campbell ( never had respect for the last one )

Used to be 2 players I liked a lot , I'm not an unfair fan , but this was bad.

Old
03-09-2011, 07:30 PM
monster_bertuzzi

The NHL has really outdone themselves. It will probably take an instant death on the ice before they figure it out.

Old
03-09-2011, 07:45 PM
Dwight
The French Tickler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrx View Post
Nothing wrong with the hit itself, its interference. Not surprised he didn't get a suspension.
The contact itself was fine, but the location of the incident is what obviously did the damage.

We'll never really know if Chara truly wanted to hurt Pacioretty. One one hand, I like to think no one in hockey would like to break a guy's neck like that. On the other hand, these two had a history.

Either way, even though "if it happened elsewhere, it wouldn't be an issue" is true, that just makes it more of a reason for Chara to get suspended. He knew exactly where he was, and he was reckless.

Old
03-09-2011, 07:47 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

He didn't have the puck and he was hit by someone he had recent history with. What does he think? THAT matters, but no one is bringing it up. Like in the restorative justice of aboriginal peoples, facing those who believe you have harmed is part of the process of reintegration. The player should be consulted in decisions about suspension. It's important that decisions be seen as fair to victims otherwise a strong sense of injustice and maybe even feelings of vengeance further victimizes the victim. As they teach you in law school: "Not only must Justice be done, it must also be seen to be done." The NHL dropped the ball on this one. What if he had died? Someone has to be held accountable. It's not a freak accident. The player for the cheap shot and the league for allowing the danger spot to exist are morally culpable if not legally so. They should man up and take responsibility for the consequences of their actions. (This may be too old school for the crap that passes as normal these days.)

Last edited by VanIslander: 03-09-2011 at 07:53 PM.
Old
03-09-2011, 09:35 PM
seventieslord

someone posted something a while back showing that Messier had a very positive impact on his teams' win percentages when in the lineup compared to when out, even in Vancouver and the return to New York. I've tried searching, and can't find it. Anyone remember who posted it, or when, or what the thread was?

Old
03-10-2011, 03:41 AM
jkrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
The contact itself was fine, but the location of the incident is what obviously did the damage.

We'll never really know if Chara truly wanted to hurt Pacioretty. One one hand, I like to think no one in hockey would like to break a guy's neck like that. On the other hand, these two had a history.

Either way, even though "if it happened elsewhere, it wouldn't be an issue" is true, that just makes it more of a reason for Chara to get suspended. He knew exactly where he was, and he was reckless.
I'm well aware that they have a history but like you I don't think any (read most) player is out there to cause any serious injuries. The outcome is unfortunate but that is it. It's the outcome that makes people go into an rampage. It was a hard clean (the check itself, I still agree that it was interference) check and it was punishing. This is in my opinion the intention of the check, to punish, not to seriously injure. The Smid hit was worse and that wasnt even that bad.

Old
03-10-2011, 04:09 AM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan View Post
I think anyone that doesn't think that Chara didn't know exactly what he was doing is delusional.

These players, especially the best of the best know exactly where they are on the ice at all times. Chara certainly knew that he was driving MaxPac's head into the stansion.
The only person that drove Pacioretty's head into the stansion was Pacioretty himself. It was entirely his owmomentum that caused the damage. Chara used one hand to impede Pacioretty's progress, and, as a result, forced him into the boards.

Both players were at fault here.

Old
03-10-2011, 05:42 AM
DoMakc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
The only person that drove Pacioretty's head into the stansion was Pacioretty himself. It was entirely his owmomentum that caused the damage. Chara used one hand to impede Pacioretty's progress, and, as a result, forced him into the boards.

Yeah, sure it's not like Chara's actions changed something, without his help Pacioretty would have ended up in the boards too, no kidding.

Old
03-10-2011, 06:26 AM
jkrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoMakc View Post
Yeah, sure it's not like Chara's actions changed something, without his help Pacioretty would have ended up in the boards too, no kidding.
Where did he say that he would have ended up in the boards anyway? Selective reading at its finest.

Old
03-10-2011, 07:21 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post

You've got to be ****ing kidding me. Pacioretty, chipped the puck past Chara and was beating him to the outside, a perfect hockey play.

Chara knew he was beat, so he interfered with him, and drove him into the stanchion. He didn't hook, hold or trip him. Chara had the chance to punish him and he did.

Pacioretty did absolutely nothing wrong.

Old
03-10-2011, 07:27 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrx View Post
I'm well aware that they have a history but like you I don't think any (read most) player is out there to cause any serious injuries. The outcome is unfortunate but that is it. It's the outcome that makes people go into an rampage. It was a hard clean (the check itself, I still agree that it was interference) check and it was punishing. This is in my opinion the intention of the check, to punish, not to seriously injure. The Smid hit was worse and that wasnt even that bad.
An illegal play (interference, plus hand/forearm to the head) meant to punish should be a suspendable offense. Pretty much the definition of intent to injure. 6-8 games.

Smid should have gotten two games. He didn't use all his force in the hit, but he still drilled Powe directly from behind into the boards. The fact that he wasn't thrown out of the game is unbelievable.

Powe needs to be smarter than that. A skater should never put himself in that position for that long. You can't rely on the officials to protect you.

Old
03-10-2011, 07:29 AM
MadArcand
We do not sow

Quote:
Powe needs to be smarter than that. A skater should never put himself in that position for that long. You can't rely on the officials to protect you.
Yet a skater should go full throttle even if he's basically stuck between a huge D-man and boards and no expect to get bumped into the boards/pinned? Same ****.

Old
03-10-2011, 07:37 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadArcand View Post
Yet a skater should go full throttle even if he's basically stuck between a huge D-man and boards and no expect to get bumped into the boards/pinned? Same ****.
Powe had the puck, Pacioretty did not.

A simple rub out by Chara is a 2 minute penalty, when he puts his hand/forearm up into Pacioretty's head and drives it into the glass/stanchion it goes from a 2 minute penalty to a 5 and a suspendable offense.

Old
03-10-2011, 07:46 AM
MadArcand
We do not sow

Quote:
Powe had the puck, Pacioretty did not.

A simple rub out by Chara is a 2 minute penalty, when he puts his hand/forearm up into Pacioretty's head and drives it into the glass/stanchion it goes from a 2 minute penalty to a 5 and a suspendable offense.
Paccioretti has just played the puck. Chara was late, but it was nowhere near the 'he was nowhere near the puck' nonsense that Habs fans try to paint it as. He also didn't hit his head, he hit his shoulder, angling Paccioretti over the boards. Had Paccioretti not kept skating ahead, he wouldn't have hit his head into the construction.

It was interference with unfortunate result, but the fault for the result lies mostly in whichever imbecile designed the boards (useless, dangerous construction? sure, why not!).

Closed Thread