HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

ATD Chat Room II (all non-ATD topics here)

Closed Thread

Old
04-26-2010, 06:59 PM
hungryhungryhippy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
JFF? It was a joint effort by Lafleurs Fries and myself. I was the only one with any experience, having been through atd8 and was in the process of drafting a 5th-place atd9 team. I had a large part in helping to guide the GMs to adopt equitable ways to evaluate players, but everyone including myself learned on the fly. I was responsible for bringing the format and rules over.
.....?

I think you think I'm talking about the leafschat ATD 1, I'm not. I was talking about ATD1 over here.

Old
04-26-2010, 07:31 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by hungryhungryhippy View Post
.....?

I think you think I'm talking about the leafschat ATD 1, I'm not. I was talking about ATD1 over here.

Considering your post specifically said "hfboards" I am not sure how I made this mistake.

I have not been myself today. Was in the waiting room at the doctor when I posted that on my phone... maybe the small text caused me to miss that part.

Old
04-26-2010, 11:09 PM
seventieslord

Did anyone catch the name of that 42-year old who put the perfect pass on Krejci's stick for the 1-0 goal tonight?

edit: I think it's the same guy who scored the 2-0 goal... anyone see who that was?

Last edited by seventieslord: 04-26-2010 at 11:15 PM.
Old
04-26-2010, 11:09 PM
vancityluongo

One of the first times in about a week that I've been able to have a free evening of just watching playoff hockey...and I don't like what I'm seeing in terms of results (other than Canucks yesterday, of course).

Noticing some of the previous betting talk, I thought I'd share that I'm probably gonna lose 50 bucks on Washington-Montreal. Gave my buddy 5:1 odds on Washington, thinking the Caps would sweep (this guy is a huge Habs homer, and has hated Ovechkin forever), but at the very least it's a sure thing that the Caps will win...

****ing Halak, I'm pissed right now, despite me liking the Habs better (I'd be cheering for them if it wasn't for this).

Also, I picked Mike "Norris Candidate/3 points" Green 7th overall in a playoff pool. 7th overall! Ovechkin, Crosby, Backstrom, Malkin, Toews, H. Sedin were the first 6 picks (I predicted Washington to win the Cup, so I decided to take a flyer on Green, knowing he wouldn't make it to my next pick). And wouldn't you know it, I passed on Mikael Samuelsson in the 10th (final) round in favour of Alex Burrows. Burrows, 1 EN goal. Samuelsson, 7 goals, playoff leader in scoring. I also had Buffalo in the finals (Ryan Miller, 3rd round of the pool). The one series I didn't botch up badly is NJ-Philly - I picked Philly in 5. Otherwise, epic facepalm for me in hockey betting. (So if you wanna pay me 50 bucks, I can guarantee your team a cup, I'll just pick all the other teams players in a pool and bam.)

Old
04-27-2010, 11:43 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Nicklas Lidstrom is a modern-day hockey god!

Old
04-28-2010, 12:30 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Nicklas Lidstrom is a modern-day hockey god!
His game 7 against Phoenix was unreal. He led the team by example.

Lidstrom, Rafalski, Kronwall, Datsyuk, Zetterberg vs. Hanzal, Bryzgalov

Everyone else had a bit part. Really there was a clear difference between the top players and everyone else.

Old
04-28-2010, 09:26 PM
hungryhungryhippy

The NHL has lost all credibility, not that it had much in the first place.

I thought the Daniel Sedin and Ottawa "kicking motion" no goal calls were ********. I thought the no penalty call on that trip in overtime in the Pittsburgh/Ottawa was ********. I thought the hypocrisy of rescinding Hossa's automatic suspension after watching him score the winning goal when he should've been out of the game for good was ********.

But the no-goal call tonight in the caps game for Knuble's apparent "goaltender interference" is just on a whole other level of ********.

What a joke.

Old
04-28-2010, 09:55 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Is Alex Ovechkin starting to remind anyone else of Eric Lindros, with the way he goes through games with his head down, trying to go through the other team? Obviously, their offensive games are completely different, but the way he handles the opposition is really reminding me of him.

Also, Mike Green is freaking terrible. I know the playoffs are different from the regular season, but I still find it sad that he keeps getting such big Norris consideration based on his offensive stats.

Hal freaking Gill of all people is becoming quite the playoff performer.

Old
04-28-2010, 09:57 PM
jarek

Quote:
Is Alex Ovechkin starting to remind anyone else of Eric Lindros, with the way he goes through games with his head down, trying to go through the other team? Obviously, their offensive games are completely different, but the way he handles the opposition is really reminding me of him.

Also, Mike Green is freaking terrible. I know the playoffs are different from the regular season, but I still find it sad that he keeps getting such big Norris consideration based on his offensive stats.

Hal freaking Gill of all people is becoming quite the playoff performer.
I wouldn't say Hal Gill is becoming a great playoff performer, because that usually alludes to good offensive production. I can concede, however, that he's the second most important cog of this incredible upset, after Halak.

Old
04-28-2010, 09:59 PM
jarek

Quote:
The NHL has lost all credibility, not that it had much in the first place.

I thought the Daniel Sedin and Ottawa "kicking motion" no goal calls were ********. I thought the no penalty call on that trip in overtime in the Pittsburgh/Ottawa was ********. I thought the hypocrisy of rescinding Hossa's automatic suspension after watching him score the winning goal when he should've been out of the game for good was ********.

But the no-goal call tonight in the caps game for Knuble's apparent "goaltender interference" is just on a whole other level of ********.

What a joke.
I 100% agree. They REALLY need to introduce a system where a coach can challenge the call made on the ice to attempt to get it rescinded.

Old
04-28-2010, 10:05 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Quote:

The Norris seems to be in a stage where offence is more important than defence to the voters. But given the intelligence of many hockey writers, that's not surprising.

Old
04-28-2010, 10:34 PM
jarek

Mike Green is definitely a reason the Caps lost. I don't know what it is, is it the pressure? He just seems to get so many bad breaks during the playoffs. Semin's ineffectiveness was huge as well.

But the thing that really did the Caps in was a number. That number is 3.03%, their power play efficiency, likely the worst of the playoffs this year.

Old
04-28-2010, 11:04 PM
Dwight
The French Tickler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jareklajkosz View Post
Mike Green is definitely a reason the Caps lost. I don't know what it is, is it the pressure? He just seems to get so many bad breaks during the playoffs. Semin's ineffectiveness was huge as well.

But the thing that really did the Caps in was a number. That number is 3.03%, their power play efficiency, likely the worst of the playoffs this year.
I think the Sabres were at 0%

But it's definitely a big reason why the Caps lost

Old
04-28-2010, 11:11 PM
jarek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chigurh View Post
I think the Sabres were at 0%

But it's definitely a big reason why the Caps lost
The Bruins were a team that is MUCH better on paper than how they played during the season. The teams were much closer than the seeds would have you suggest.

The exact opposite is true of the Habs and Caps. The teams really WERE that far apart in terms of how good they were, and the first four games really showed that. I don't know what happened, but perhaps Dick Pound might have been on to something with the steroids, haha. How does a goalie get that good overnight?

Either way, the Caps did themselves in with their inability to adjust to Montreal's game. They were a way, way better team than Montreal.

Old
04-28-2010, 11:12 PM
seventieslord

Well, Ovechkin was far from invisible, but when you have just one way of breaching the zone and scoring, you become pretty easy to stop. He needs a few new tricks or his predictability will continue to be his downfall.

Old
04-28-2010, 11:14 PM
jarek

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
Well, Ovechkin was far from invisible, but when you have just one way of breaching the zone and scoring, you become pretty easy to stop. He needs a few new tricks or his predictability will continue to be his downfall.
I was going to mention that. He was not the reason for the Caps' loss, though, at all. His passion and effort really showed throughout both games I watched. The rest of the team really let him down, especially Semin and Green.

Old
04-28-2010, 11:18 PM
hungryhungryhippy

Quote:
The Bruins were a team that is MUCH better on paper than how they played during the season. The teams were much closer than the seeds would have you suggest.

The exact opposite is true of the Habs and Caps. The teams really WERE that far apart in terms of how good they were, and the first four games really showed that. I don't know what happened, but perhaps Dick Pound might have been on to something with the steroids, haha. How does a goalie get that good overnight?

Either way, the Caps did themselves in with their inability to adjust to Montreal's game. They were a way, way better team than Montreal.

Halak has been doing this all year for Montreal and getting no credit for it until now.

I remember the last time the nucks played the habs, the habs only won because Halak stood on his head. Then I started digging further and realized he'd been doing it an awful lot, and wondered if he should be getting some Hart consideration.

Old
04-28-2010, 11:20 PM
jarek

Quote:
Halak has been doing this all year for Montreal and getting no credit for it until now.

I remember the last time the nucks played the habs, the habs only won because Halak stood on his head. Then I started digging further and realized he'd been doing it an awful lot, and wondered if he should be getting some Hart consideration.
That's interesting. Either way, with the goalies, Montreal is in a no-win scenario. Trade Price, he goes on to become a star and they get nothing close to his value in return. Keep Price and he gets buried as the backup and never lives up to his potential..

Old
04-28-2010, 11:22 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:

By "Montrea's game," you mean "The Neutral Zone Trap." I don't ever want to hear a Habs fan complain about the "boring Devils" again.

Good for the Habs; it worked!

Old
04-28-2010, 11:23 PM
jarek

Quote:
By "Montrea's game," you mean "The Neutral Zone Trap." I don't ever want to hear a Habs fan complain about the "boring Devils" again.

Good for the Habs; it worked!
It wasn't exactly the trap - if it was the trap, it failed miserably, as the Caps got tons and tons of chances to score. However, Halak stood tall, and the Habs were blocking shots everywhere.

Old
04-28-2010, 11:26 PM
hungryhungryhippy

Just shows you how far an otherwise totally outmatched team can go with a good goalie, shot blockers, and the trap!

*cough*Vancouver Marrons*cough*

EDIT: not the "outmatched" part though!

Last edited by hungryhungryhippy: 04-28-2010 at 11:39 PM.
Old
04-28-2010, 11:37 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
It wasn't exactly the trap - if it was the trap, it failed miserably, as the Caps got tons and tons of chances to score. However, Halak stood tall, and the Habs were blocking shots everywhere.
It was definitely a version of the trap. Jacques Martin has always used the trap, everywhere he went. Did the Habs have a single forechecker in the 2nd half of games 6 and 7?

The Caps got tons of shots, but how many of them were dangerous? In Game 6, Halak stood on his head. In Game 7, I saw tons of shots from the outside with no traffic in front.

Old
04-28-2010, 11:42 PM
jarek

Quote:
It was definitely a version of the trap. Jacques Martin has always used the trap, everywhere he went. Did the Habs have a single forechecker in the 2nd half of games 6 and 7?

The Caps got tons of shots, but how many of them were dangerous? In Game 6, Halak stood on his head. In Game 7, I saw tons of shots from the outside with no traffic in front.
So.. the trap in your own end? Halak DID have to make some very good saves. What I noticed with the only Caps goal, was that they scored it after they crashed the net.. gee, go figure..

Old
04-28-2010, 11:45 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
So.. the trap in your own end? Halak DID have to make some very good saves. What I noticed with the only Caps goal, was that they scored it after they crashed the net.. gee, go figure..
Yeah well, it's not like the trap always works. Lemaire only won a single Cup, then was part of quite a few epic chockjobs where he stiffled his own team's offense more than the other team's.

Plus, I'm not sure if the trap works as well without a red line. Still though, Washington was basically prevented from entering the zone with speed.

Old
04-28-2010, 11:47 PM
hungryhungryhippy

Biggest Factors that led to this upset:

1) Halak
2) Boudreau was completely out coached by Martin, and it was obvious
3) The washington PP went 1/30 or whatever
4) 40 goal Semin didn't score a single goal
5) Green was just brutal
6) the Canadien's shot blocking (espeically Gill)

Closed Thread