HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Any Interest in Filatov?

Old
04-20-2010, 01:10 PM
TheFirebird
Resurget Cineribus

vCash: 500
Any Interest in Filatov?

Nikita Filatov has been something of an ongoing event for the Columbus Blue Jackets; Since being drafted sixth by the Jackets in 2008, the talented Russian winger was at constant odds with coach Ken Hitchcock, who apparently was significantly limiting Filatov's ice time. After battling with Hitchcock, his restrictions in ice time, and disappointment with the Columbus Blue Jackets, Filatov decided to pack his bags and play in Russia until he has an opportunity to prove himself in the NHL with the ice time that he feels he deserves. The word is that he is very interested in coming back to the NHL, and would like be on this side of the pond starting next season, and is more interested in playing with a skilled team that has good chances of making it far into the playoffs than he is interested in high paying salaries of the type he would likely receive in the KHL.

Now, we Red Wings fans know just how good a coach Ken Hitchcock was, after all we owe him a great deal for the Red Wings' stunning success against the Colombus Blue Jackets, but the question remains, is it that Filatov was/is too full of himself, or was Hitch simply being Hitch?

Also, if we could trade for the rights to Filatov, would you want to? If not, why, and if so, who would you be willing to trade?

Last edited by TheFirebird: 04-20-2010 at 01:22 PM.
TheFirebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 02:14 PM
Mwd711

I have mixed feelings on Filatov. I think he has a big ego but does have talent. I think he got a raw deal from Hitchcock but at the same time, he didn't do much to merit playing time. He has a history of run-ins with coaches. Time will tell if that will actually mean anything.

That said, the price would be too high. I think he's extremely risky. Is he worth giving up prospects and picks? Would you trade Kindl and others for him? I wouldn't. I just don't don't think he's a sure bet.

Either way, if the Jackets do decide to give up on Filatov, it's almost a sure bet it won't be to a division rival That's too risky to do as a general manager!

Mwd711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 02:22 PM
TheFirebird
Resurget Cineribus

I'm sure that they wouldn't readily give up on him now that Hitch is gone, but I think that it is also the player's choice at this point that ultimately determines the team he plays on.

To be truthful, I'm not entirely sold on the guy myself, but I can't help but think of what he could bring to the Wings with his play and skill.

I think the BJ's have him signed to his 2008 3 year entry contract around $875,000/year, and I am very curious to see if he will be available in free agency or if the team will successfully re-sign him. IF he goes FA, I think the Wings would be wise to throw an offer his way. He isn't a 5'10 145 pound skater and he has every bit of skill that Pavel had at his age, at least, he certainly displays what skill and talent he has. I would love for the Wings to pick up a young franchise standout for themselves within the next year or two, either through the draft or through a trade/UFA like they might be able to do with him.

Who would I trade for him, if I were to trade for him? I'm not sure, but it looks like he has the ability to make room for himself and is a very cerebral player with good passing and an excellent shot. I wouldn't want to trade much that is already developing in GR, but I would definitely trade Hudler's rights and perhaps a second round pick for him. That would likely be enough as it would immediately bolster their roster with a player that they could use next season who won't be hiding from them in Russia, and a well thought out second round pick could bring them a capable player for whatever position they need. Hell, look at what the Wings have been able to do with a 7th round pick in drafting Zetterberg.

Last edited by TheFirebird: 04-20-2010 at 02:28 PM.
Old
04-20-2010, 02:30 PM
Eaglepride*
#5 in Wotan we trust

As with most Russians its the KHL factor. I'm not sold on the guy he may bring some promising skills but...its a big risk.

Eaglepride* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 02:39 PM
TheFirebird
Resurget Cineribus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagleproud View Post
As with most Russians its the KHL factor. I'm not sold on the guy he may bring some promising skills but...its a big risk.
Well, if we're talking about attitude, look at how it is with players coming in from Sweden that are drafted or brought into the Wings team. Every one of the players drafted out of Sweden and brought into the organization knows that they are not above the coach, or any other higher up because they know that they aren't better than Nicklas Lidstrom.

I'm certain that Most, if not all Russian players aside from Ovetchkin or Malkin would quickly come to terms that they are not better than Pavel Datsyuk, I'm sure that even off the ice Pavs could lay to rest any attitude problems that particular player has.

I mean, come on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kj3E0ve6rl0

If you don't respect that, what do you respect?

If I was a young skill player, let alone a young Russian skill player, I know that I would be too busy trying to get Pavs to show me how its done to let myself be cocky or pig headed. I think that, for a while at least, Larionov was that sort of reminder to Fedorov that Sergei should think of the team before himself.

Old
04-20-2010, 03:13 PM
probertrules24
Down with the Bruins

I watched him very closely In person at the world juniors and from those games I would guess the main reason for his battles with Hitch would be for his complete lack of playing D. May be he felt that he was the most talented player out there but I was shocked at how much he floated.

I couldn't see him staying out of babcock's dog house for long. People thought Hudlers D was lacking atleast he tried he just didn't have size or speed to compete all the time.

I'm not saying I wouldn't want him for his offensive talents but I wouldn't wNt to lose a roster player of high end prospect to get him.

probertrules24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 03:19 PM
petesrw

1st, 2nd, and Abby or Eaves

Probably not enough to get him, but I think it's worth the risk. It would be like using our 2010 1st to pick him, trading away a middling player just to make room on the roster, and then throwing in a 2nd rounder. Not really that much for the potential.

I saw him play several times this year, once in person, and he looked really good. I couldn't believe he wasn't getting way more minutes. He created great chances while playing with 3rd and 4th liners on a bad team. I would have gotten frustrated too if I was outplaying most of my teammates and not getting rewarded for it. Some of his best games were followed up by 4 minutes of ice time the next game. Say what you will about Filatov's immaturity, but Hitchcock was handling him BADLY.

petesrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 03:54 PM
Vatican Roulette
Detroit Fan

Why trade for Filatov?

If you want a player of his caliber, just draft Kabanov.

You even get the KHL factor along with the talent and attitude problems.

Vatican Roulette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 04:24 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

We have 1 Russian on the roster, haven't drafted a Russian in forever (the last two we drafted never made a NHL roster either). I don't think the Wings are looking for this kind of player, you know your typical Russian forward, skill in bunches but less than great worker and teammate.

TheMoreYouKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 05:34 PM
TheFirebird
Resurget Cineribus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
We have 1 Russian on the roster, haven't drafted a Russian in forever (the last two we drafted never made a NHL roster either). I don't think the Wings are looking for this kind of player, you know your typical Russian forward, skill in bunches but less than great worker and teammate.
Riiiiiiight, that's why the Wings gambled on Dick Axelsson and attempted to pursue Fabulous Brunnstrom, because those two are great workers and awesome teammates.

Just because they're Russian doesn't automatically equate to a player possessing certain faults.

Old
04-20-2010, 05:38 PM
TheFirebird
Resurget Cineribus

Quote:
Originally Posted by petesrw View Post
1st, 2nd, and Abby or Eaves
It shouldn't take both a second and first round draft pick to get the guy unless you absolutely don't want to give up an NHL player to get him. As good as Filatov is, I would not be willing to give up the 1st and 2nd picks of the 2010 draft to get him; 1st and 2nd of 2011 draft, sure, but not this year's, this year's draft has a lot of very capable talent in the first and second rounds.

Old
04-20-2010, 05:40 PM
r0bert8841

Send a message via AIM to r0bert8841
No, if we were going to get a Russian it would be someone with potential but cheap. Like Lisin or Kovalev.

r0bert8841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 07:25 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFirebird View Post
Riiiiiiight, that's why the Wings gambled on Dick Axelsson and attempted to pursue Fabulous Brunnstrom, because those two are great workers and awesome teammates.

Just because they're Russian doesn't automatically equate to a player possessing certain faults.
That is true, but does Filatov have a reputation as a relentless backchecker and selfless system player? Don't think so.

The Wings are more willing to take chances on Swedes because we have a bunch of Swedish veterans who can police the locker room.

TheMoreYouKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 09:30 AM
zetterberg40

Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
Filly has had issues with Hitchcock because he wants to make a complete player out of him. He will NOT last long with Babs then.

I'd say pass.

zetterberg40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 09:38 AM
HockeyinHD

Filatov? Good Lord no.

This is obviously a mole suggestion to try and screw up the Wings.

HockeyinHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 09:44 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

What about Hudler, a second and mid-level prospect for Filatov?
I'd do that trade.
Filatov has the potential to be a big time producer in this league. If you can get a guy like that at the age of 21 or whatever, you try to make the move.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 09:50 AM
TheFirebird
Resurget Cineribus

@HockeyInHD: Would you care to elaborate, or is it just "Good Lord, No" for no particular reason? Don't just go by attitude either, the Wings took a chance on Leino, tried for Brunnstrom, and are still trying with Axelsson, clearly attitude doesn't concern them so much.

Old
04-21-2010, 09:51 AM
FissionFire

The KHL factor might not be a viable one for much longer. There are lots of reports and rumors that quite a few KHL teams have been having money problems. I've read accounts from players saying they went months without getting paid. Moscow Dynamo disbanded like a week ago and no longer exists now. The KHL's big-spending ways have started to catch up to them since their revenue sources are still just a small fraction of their payroll expenses. Until they stabilize and come up with a realistic system where revenues can at least match payroll the KHL will be in a rough place in the short-term future.

FissionFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 10:27 AM
Jussha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
What about Hudler, a second and mid-level prospect for Filatov?
I'd do that trade.
Filatov has the potential to be a big time producer in this league. If you can get a guy like that at the age of 21 or whatever, you try to make the move.
I'd do the trade too if it were Hudler going the other way. Filatov is bigger and has something we could desperately use in our top 6, a right hand shot. He does have his attitude problems apparently but a lot of young players have flourished once Hitch got out of their hair, just ask Philly fans about that. Rather than Filatov though, what about taking a stab at Zherdev if he wants to come back to the NHL? He is 6 2 and 210 lbs and a right hand shot. Doubt he comes cheap though

Jussha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 11:26 AM
Go Wings

I would definately want Filatov if we could get him for a decent price. Kindl and a draft pick might work.

Go Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 11:40 AM
Yemack

Quote:
@HockeyInHD: Would you care to elaborate, or is it just "Good Lord, No" for no particular reason? Don't just go by attitude either, the Wings took a chance on Leino, tried for Brunnstrom, and are still trying with Axelsson, clearly attitude doesn't concern them so much.
I think people are allowed to have their opinions on players based on attitude.

I'm not too hot about Filtov neither. If he can backup his attitude with result, it would have been ok but he didn't do much while he was in NHL. Whatever the cause, he didn't make it happen. There is a reason he was let go and I don't think he will somehow do 180 degree transformation in Detroit.

In my opinon, there are very handful of players who come to Detroit and reignite their career. The common trait of them is their work ethic, professionalism and perseverance. I don't know Filatov and only heard about him but he doesn't strike me as a player having any of those trait.

Is it worth the shot for free? sure but I wouldn't trade for him or anything.

Hey don't hate me for not liking your player. That's my 2c.

Yemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 11:52 AM
TheFirebird
Resurget Cineribus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yemack View Post
I think people are allowed to have their opinions on players based on attitude.

I'm not too hot about Filtov neither. If he can backup his attitude with result, it would have been ok but he didn't do much while he was in NHL. Whatever the cause, he didn't make it happen. There is a reason he was let go and I don't think he will somehow do 180 degree transformation in Detroit.

In my opinon, there are very handful of players who come to Detroit and reignite their career. The common trait of them is their work ethic, professionalism and perseverance. I don't know Filatov and only heard about him but he doesn't strike me as a player having any of those trait.

Is it worth the shot for free? sure but I wouldn't trade for him or anything.

Hey don't hate me for not liking your player. That's my 2c.
No hate whatsoever, man. I just want a greater post length than "Do Not Want". At least a one word reason argument would be nice, like "Do Not Want - Smelly" or "Do Not Want - Inbred and Crosseyed" or "Do Not Want- He is a Serial Murderer". I just want the reason why, and I just don't believe that the prospect player's attitude is much of a concern to the Wings management and development and coaching staff; it seems that talent comes first, and that they are willing to bang out any dents that the players ego may have AFTER they sign that player. That is my opinion, I will not force you to believe it, after all - this is Amerika, not Sovetsky Soyuz

Old
04-21-2010, 12:07 PM
Motown Beatdown
Need a slump buster

vCash: 450
He would be held just as accountable under Babcock. Heck after one Babcock death stare he would be on the first plane back to Russia

Motown Beatdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 12:50 PM
HockeyinHD

Quote:
Leino cost them nothing and he's gone.

Tried for Bruunstrom, who would have cost them nothing to acquire, and failed because they weren't going to promise NHL IT.

'Still trying' means they haven't renounced Axelsson's rights, but Detroit's not likely to re-sign him. Maybe they will, but they aren't going to promise NHL time to him.

Look, if Detroit could get Filatov for absolutely nothing, hey... sure. What the heck. Sign him, put him in the AHL, and see how that goes. I doubt he'd report to the AHL, so that's mostly a moot point, but still.

So, why specifically wouldn't I want Detroit to move one single asset of any denomination to acquire Filatov? Well, based on everything I've seen and read about the guy, he strikes me as an entitled, spoiled, soft, one-way, head case, pain in the ass brat of a Russian prima-donna.

So, no, I guess I'd rather not see that introduced into a team that tries very hard to be the antithesis of all of those characteristics of Filatov... except the Russian part.

HockeyinHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 03:58 PM
tfong

Quote:
Originally Posted by FissionFire View Post
The KHL factor might not be a viable one for much longer. There are lots of reports and rumors that quite a few KHL teams have been having money problems. I've read accounts from players saying they went months without getting paid. Moscow Dynamo disbanded like a week ago and no longer exists now. The KHL's big-spending ways have started to catch up to them since their revenue sources are still just a small fraction of their payroll expenses. Until they stabilize and come up with a realistic system where revenues can at least match payroll the KHL will be in a rough place in the short-term future.
Where did you hear that Dynamo was disbanding?

I ehard they were just going into financial issues so they let Hudler go so they wouldn't have to pay him.

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote