HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Any Interest in Filatov?

Old
04-21-2010, 04:04 PM
TheFirebird
Resurget Cineribus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyinHD View Post
Leino cost them nothing and he's gone.

Tried for Bruunstrom, who would have cost them nothing to acquire, and failed because they weren't going to promise NHL IT.

'Still trying' means they haven't renounced Axelsson's rights, but Detroit's not likely to re-sign him. Maybe they will, but they aren't going to promise NHL time to him.

Look, if Detroit could get Filatov for absolutely nothing, hey... sure. What the heck. Sign him, put him in the AHL, and see how that goes. I doubt he'd report to the AHL, so that's mostly a moot point, but still.

So, why specifically wouldn't I want Detroit to move one single asset of any denomination to acquire Filatov? Well, based on everything I've seen and read about the guy, he strikes me as an entitled, spoiled, soft, one-way, head case, pain in the ass brat of a Russian prima-donna.

So, no, I guess I'd rather not see that introduced into a team that tries very hard to be the antithesis of all of those characteristics of Filatov... except the Russian part.
Thank you, that was very descriptive and I agree with quite a bit of it. Filatov could very well be a very egotistical young player (Nothing that I have seen of Russian interviews with him or of his play indicates that, but it could very well be I suppose), but even Fedorov was egotistical, so I'm not sure how much that takes away from the desirability of him playing on this team.

If we were just basing a decision off of his size, skill, scoring abilities, speed and cap money I would think that he is a better deal in all senses than Hudler is, and if all that he would cost us is Hudler's rights and a couple of draft picks next year or the year after. I'm sorry, but I would trade Hudler off in a heartbeat if we could get something worthwhile in return. Attitude is one thing, but a player completely abandoning all loyalty to a team that is all about loyalty is upsetting.

TheFirebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 04:30 PM
Yemack

this begs a question

What has filatov done?

Yemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 04:36 PM
FabricDetails

Remind me again why Frolov isn't an option?

FabricDetails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 04:48 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by FabricDetails View Post
salary cap.

04-21-2010, 08:29 PM
HockeyinHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFirebird View Post
coring abilities, speed and cap money I would think that he is a better deal in all senses than Hudler is, and if all that he would cost us is Hudler's rights and a couple of draft picks next year or the year after. I'm sorry, but I would trade Hudler off in a heartbeat if we could get something worthwhile in return. Attitude is one thing, but a player completely abandoning all loyalty to a team that is all about loyalty is upsetting.
Well, this puts me in the slightly unusual position of having to defend Jiri Hudler. Very often, especially on this board, I am constantly reminding people that he's nowhere nearly as good as they think he is, but in this case I believe I need to point out that Hudler's nowhere as bad as you appear to think he is, either.

Here's the thing... I'm not even sure Filatov can play in the NHL. I mean, yes, he obviously has the skills to do so, but what I'm talking about is whether he has the 'upstairs' to be able to handle an NHL career, especially at the age of 19, and double especially in an organization like the Wings where roles, responsibility, effort and maturity are so highly valued, and so quickly reprimanded when they aren't exhibited.

With Hudler I think we know that he can at least play in whatever role Babcock assigns without being a gigantic jackass about it, if one assumes for the moment that his flight to the KHL was done without malice, which while not certain is at least a reasonable possibility. With Filatov, I get the feeling that maybe the first or second time Babcock dresses him down for dawdling in the offensive zone he'll go in the tank.

And Mike Babcock will certainly help a player spiral down into the tank as far as he wants to go. He isn't what I would describe as a coach with a Social Worker's concern for the well being of his players. Either suck it up or get the 'f' out would be a fairly common refrain, I would imagine.

Maybe I'm also a little gun-shy about taking flyers on risky forwards after being burned by the Craptastic Festival on Ice Leino pulled this year.

HockeyinHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 08:53 PM
Anchor Town

Quote:
he'll command way more money than we can afford as a free agent. teams are gonna overpay for guys like him cause theres not many options out there

Anchor Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 10:46 PM
r0bert8841

Send a message via AIM to r0bert8841
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFirebird View Post
Thank you, that was very descriptive and I agree with quite a bit of it. Filatov could very well be a very egotistical young player (Nothing that I have seen of Russian interviews with him or of his play indicates that, but it could very well be I suppose), but even Fedorov was egotistical, so I'm not sure how much that takes away from the desirability of him playing on this team.

If we were just basing a decision off of his size, skill, scoring abilities, speed and cap money I would think that he is a better deal in all senses than Hudler is, and if all that he would cost us is Hudler's rights and a couple of draft picks next year or the year after. I'm sorry, but I would trade Hudler off in a heartbeat if we could get something worthwhile in return. Attitude is one thing, but a player completely abandoning all loyalty to a team that is all about loyalty is upsetting.
Completely abandoning all loyalty? Not at all. If he were to sign with the Ducks for less than the Wings were offering, that would be abandoning all loyalty. Hudler went to Russia to play for a year or two. He wanted to cash in but he still wanted to be part of the Wings organization. So he easily could have signed with another team for more money and abandon the Wings but no he signed in Russia for a year or two and is coming right back to the Wings.

r0bert8841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 12:46 AM
FabricDetails

Quote:
Originally Posted by the banks View Post
he'll command way more money than we can afford as a free agent. teams are gonna overpay for guys like him cause theres not many options out there
True... But how many teams can offer being a winger for Datsyuk?

FabricDetails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 08:48 AM
TheFirebird
Resurget Cineribus

Quote:
That selling point alone should attract any Free Agent to our team. Any person who cares about earning silverware would have to consider the Wings as a strong possibility, few teams can earn Stanleys in the rapidity that we have been.

TheFirebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 09:00 AM
petesrw

Quote:
We REALLY cannot afford Frolov. Without a doubt. It would take mind boggling change to even be able to afford to pay him $2 million. Assuming Lidstrom and Holmstrom re-sign and Hudler comes back (which sounds to be the case with all three), we will have just enough room to sign the cheap RFA guys who we need (Helm, Eaves, Abby, Miller) and then round out the roster with guys like Lilja, Maltby, and/or a couple GR players.

We will have about $12 mil. coming off the books this off season, but ALL of that will go towards fitting in all these players. If we sign Frolov, who will certainly command several million, that leaves a lot less room to sign players that we need to sign. It's simply not feasible to make room for Frolov unless the cap shoots WAY up.

I played with the numbers a bit on capgeek a while back and came up with this:

FORWARDS
Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)
Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Daniel Cleary ($2.800m) / * Jiri Hudler ($2.750m)
* Tomas Holmstrom ($2.000m) / Kris Draper ($1.583m) / * Darren Helm ($1.200m)
* Justin Abdelkader ($0.900m) / * Drew Miller ($0.750m) / * Patrick Eaves ($0.750m)
* Kirk Maltby ($0.600m)
DEFENSEMEN
* Nicklas Lidstrom ($6.000m) / Brian Rafalski ($6.000m)
Brad Stuart ($3.750m) / Niklas Kronwall ($3.000m)
* Andreas Lilja ($0.900m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($0.900m)
Jakub Kindl ($0.883m)
GOALTENDERS
Chris Osgood ($1.417m) / Jimmy Howard ($0.717m)
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS
ROSTER: 22; PAYROLL: $56.638m; CAP ROOM: $0.162m BONUSES: $0.000m

Filppula and Kronwall are the only guys without a NTC who make enough that trading them would help make room for a big name FA. Doubt Holland would want to part with them.

If Frolov wanted to play with Dats, then he would have to accept an unreasonably small contract.

petesrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 09:14 AM
stanleyorbust

now that hitch is gone... i think Filatov comes back, unless Columbus takes the high moral ground and moves him.. to essentially tell everyone on the team that giving up because you don't like the coach is not professional and will not be accepted. I think its likely 50/50 he will be back.. especially since they were just burnt by Zherdev..

I'm not entirely sure what Columbus would be looking for in return of him, but I would guess they want someone who can step in and play right away. If they had not gotten Stralman, as a leafs fan I would have thought a deal with Kaberle + might be possible. I think Columbus would be smart to package Filatov, and Brassard for someone like Joe Thornton + an extension. San Jose can't seem to win anything with their core, and if they our ousted first round I think it would be incredible for them not to try to move some of the underachieving players out. I'm sure i'll get flamed for suggesting that.. but Thornton and Nash would look pretty good together on the same line!

stanleyorbust is offline   Reply With Quote