HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

I think I have a decent offseason plan, anyone agree?

Old
04-20-2010, 04:26 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

vCash: 500
I never do these things, because whatever we say doesnt happen. I'll try to make a likely scenario happen though.

Offense

-Try to unload Hartnell. He is a waste of space at the moment.

-Roll with a top 6 of

Gagne-Richards-Giroux
JVR-Carter-Briere

-Now for the third line, get a legit third line center. Someone that can put up a decent amount of points, but is solid defensively.

Powe/Asham-Third Line C - Leino/Testwuide/Legein/etc/etc

-I cant believe Im saying this but resign Carcillo and throw him on the Betts-Lappy line

Carcillo-Betts-Lappy

Defense:

-Keep together:

Pronger-Carle

Carle's defensive play is terrible, but slightly makes up for it on offense.

-Let Coburn walk. Let someone like Lehtivouri or Gustaffson fight for that spot. Lehtivouri already showed his maturity on the Phantoms, hense why he is a active callup at the moment. I have a feeling they are looking at him for next season. Gustaffson is alittle more of an unknown. He had 7 points in 5 games for Phantoms, being one of the best defenders in those few games (Lehtivouri was hurt and didnt play 2 of the games).

Timonen-Lehtivouri/Gustaffson

-I say resign Krajicek. He was a solid fill in on the 2nd pairing.

Krajicek-Parent/Bartulis

(One of them would be the 7th)

Goalies

-Personally, I'd go after Turco and sign him for 2 years. He is on the older side, but if we can wait for Bobo or Eriksson to see if their ready. Let one of them (if Eriksson comes over) fight for the backup job with Boucher and if not Eriksson gets sent back over and Bobo goes to start in the AHL, where he can spend one season there and when Boucher doesnt resign, he takes over the backup job.

Turco
Bobo/Boucher

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 05:01 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan333 View Post
Not necessarily, most of the consensus is that he's unhappy in Anaheim. That could change eventually, but I would assume any contract extension he would sign would have him signing through the years until hes eligible for UFA.

At 27, maybe he won't be past his prime and then maybe hometown discount?

If only we had that 2nd rounder, we could get him now!
Why would he give the Flyers a discount, he'll likely get a real offer sheet from a team that could actually do it?

Sorry but we are not getting Ryan, and we don't need him.

I'd prefer to wait until the playoffs are over and do an assessment then.

We don't know how far we'll go and who might rise to the occasion in the next week(s).

Gagne's been playing very good hockey. Hartnell provides size we need.

We've basically got a full roster already for next year, after signing the free agents, so there might not be much tweaking needed.

Boucher might earn a return, and Homer liked Leighton too. They could end up being our goalies again, with Bobrovsky and Backlund in the AHL...

It's way too early to make any of these decisions.

E.g. Coburn has been playing lights out. He's earning his raise night by night and is proving to be a top 4 guy. With him Pronger, Timonen and Carle locked up, we have our top 4. Bartulis is signed, Parent is coming around and we may or may not reup Krajicek, but he's proven he can play in the league so someone will sign him.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 05:28 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Coburn has been playing lights out. He's earning his raise night by night and is proving to be a top 4 guy. With him Pronger, Timonen and Carle locked up, we have our top 4. Bartulis is signed, Parent is coming around and we may or may not reup Krajicek, but he's proven he can play in the league so someone will sign him.
+1 I wouldn't mind seeing the same exact group of 7 guys that we have right now on defense next year. They're playing very well.

Unloading one of Briere, Hartnell or Gagne (in that order) would be fine if it meant acquiring a long term solution in net. hell unloading one of Briere or Hartnell would be fine if it meant free cap space.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 05:48 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

The order of players on priority to be moved:
1. Briere (before that deathblow starts to kick in)
2. Hartnell (he'll never have a worse year until his mid-30's but we don't need him)
3. Carle (had a great year but is replaceable, particularly for his salary)*

Move only for a position of need:
1. Parent (if we can get a strong young goaltender)*
2. Coburn (if we can get a better young goaltender)*

Do not move (in order of who I feel is most vital):
1. Richards
2. Pronger
3. Timonen
4. Carter
5. Giroux
6. vanRiemsdyk
7. Gagne
8. Laperriere
9. Betts
10. Carcillo
11. Bartulis
12. Powe

* You can only move one of Carle, Coburn, and Parent this offseason without signing someone else.

In the next two years we have to move either Briere or both of Hartnell and Carle. That's if we plan on keeping Richards, Carter, Giroux, vanRiemsdyk, Pronger, Timonen, and Coburn. I consider those our core. All we need is a core goalie.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 01:25 AM
agrudez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
The order of players on priority to be moved:
1. Briere (before that deathblow starts to kick in)
2. Hartnell (he'll never have a worse year until his mid-30's but we don't need him)
3. Carle (had a great year but is replaceable, particularly for his salary)*

Move only for a position of need:
1. Parent (if we can get a strong young goaltender)*
2. Coburn (if we can get a better young goaltender)*

Do not move (in order of who I feel is most vital):
1. Richards
2. Pronger
3. Timonen
4. Carter
5. Giroux
6. vanRiemsdyk
7. Gagne
8. Laperriere
9. Betts
10. Carcillo
11. Bartulis
12. Powe

* You can only move one of Carle, Coburn, and Parent this offseason without signing someone else.

In the next two years we have to move either Briere or both of Hartnell and Carle. That's if we plan on keeping Richards, Carter, Giroux, vanRiemsdyk, Pronger, Timonen, and Coburn. I consider those our core. All we need is a core goalie.
The thing about Briere that alot of people don't realize is that his cap hit is large, but his actual salary is front ended. A team like Atlanta, Nashville, etc. that struggles to stay over the cap floor LOVES to get these type of veteran players that make no money but kill their cap. Here is Briere's salary structure according to capgeek.com

2007-2008 ONE-WAY $10,000,000 $10,000,000 — $6,500,000
2008-2009 ONE-WAY $8,000,000 $8,000,000 — $6,500,000
2009-2010 ONE-WAY $8,000,000 $8,000,000 — $6,500,000
2010-2011 ONE-WAY $7,000,000 $7,000,000 — $6,500,000
2011-2012 ONE-WAY $7,000,000 $7,000,000 — $6,500,000
2012-2013 ONE-WAY $7,000,000 $7,000,000 — $6,500,000
2013-2014 ONE-WAY $3,000,000 $3,000,000 — $6,500,000
2014-2015 ONE-WAY $2,000,000 $2,000,000 — $6,500,000

I think after the 2011-2012 season Briere is going to be a very attractive trading chip to a team like the one I just mentioned.

Btw, he was 4th on the team in terms of points this year (the whole team had a down year, not just him), it isn't as if he is just straight stealing his salary. Sure, he isn't close to living up to his cap hit, but he isn't the liability that most of you make him out to be.

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 06:55 AM
El Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
The thing about Briere that alot of people don't realize is that his cap hit is large, but his actual salary is front ended. A team like Atlanta, Nashville, etc. that struggles to stay over the cap floor LOVES to get these type of veteran players that make no money but kill their cap. Here is Briere's salary structure according to capgeek.com

2007-2008 ONE-WAY $10,000,000 $10,000,000 — $6,500,000
2008-2009 ONE-WAY $8,000,000 $8,000,000 — $6,500,000
2009-2010 ONE-WAY $8,000,000 $8,000,000 — $6,500,000
2010-2011 ONE-WAY $7,000,000 $7,000,000 — $6,500,000
2011-2012 ONE-WAY $7,000,000 $7,000,000 — $6,500,000
2012-2013 ONE-WAY $7,000,000 $7,000,000 — $6,500,000
2013-2014 ONE-WAY $3,000,000 $3,000,000 — $6,500,000
2014-2015 ONE-WAY $2,000,000 $2,000,000 — $6,500,000

I think after the 2011-2012 season Briere is going to be a very attractive trading chip to a team like the one I just mentioned.

Btw, he was 4th on the team in terms of points this year (the whole team had a down year, not just him), it isn't as if he is just straight stealing his salary. Sure, he isn't close to living up to his cap hit, but he isn't the liability that most of you make him out to be.
I've thought that too. Then maybe we can use that 6.5 mil to keep Giroux and JVR here

I still think Hartnell can be moved to a team that has a coach that "thinks" he can control him. Hopefully there are good teams like that he would be willing to go to. 4.2 million sounds about right to sign a Marty Turco for a couple years while the guys in the system get ready for the NHL.

El Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 07:46 AM
IceDaddy
Bound for Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan333 View Post
So I’ve come to my senses and dropped my Rick Nash idea. However, on my earlier thread, someone noted bringing in Bobby Ryan would be a good idea. So I got to thinking, and I really think it could work, of course the right cards would have to fall into place for the Flyers can even offer a contract that would stick without Anaheim matching. So here it goes, fire away and crucify me once you are done reading:

Step 1: Find a competitive team Simon Gagne would be willing to go to. Hopefully get a late 1st round pick for 2010. With Gagne’s resurgence after the Olympic break, there might be team that needs a solid winger.

Step 2: Try and unload Hartnell for just about anything. I know he’s a fan favorite, but he just takes way too many penalties for a player making 4.2 million. He has become a target of officials and most of the time, you can’t blame them for putting him in the box. Like Gagne, he would have to waive his no trade clause, however, if the Flyers are just looking to dump him, there’s really no need to ask for much in return.

Step 3: Resign Carcillo, Powe, Parent and Syvret for 110% of their salaries as they are RFAs. Maybe offer Coburn the same salary citing the fact that he has had a down year (even a little raise couldn’t hurt)?

Step 4: Send Bobby Ryan an offer sheet up to a max that would forfeit 2011 1st 2nd and 3rd rounders (this year it was about $6 mil). Before losing it, remember that Bobby Ryan is a player that has been groomed and is getting into his prime. The players the Flyers would pick up with those picks need time to grow and there are already young players on the team that will need raises eventually. I might be wrong, but I would think he would sign a long term (5 years) with Philly for in between 5 and 6 million just as a hometown discount (he’s from Cherry Hill, NJ).

If the above moves can be made successfully, the Flyers would have about 7.8 million under the cap assuming that the salary cap stays the same. In terms of needs, the Flyers would have 5 Centers, 3 left wings, 3 right wings and 7 defensemen signed. Additionally, they would need a goalie. 7.8 should be enough to have room for a good goalie and either bring up a prospect or seek free agency to fill the void.

So what do you think?

Any team that would take Gagne or Hartnell would want to send back close to the same salaries. So there is another flaw in this plan.

IceDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 10:44 AM
El Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsRock View Post
Any team that would take Gagne or Hartnell would want to send back close to the same salaries. So there is another flaw in this plan.
I'm just dreaming I guess of having an elite winger... however trading either Gagne or Hartnell is a must if we want any kind of cap space this offseason (Hartnell being at the top of the list).

I would welcome salary back for Hartnell as long as the contracts coming to us are for at least 2 or 3 contracts and the length of them are for 1 or 2 seasons. At least then, those guys we get back could be packaged for other trades seeing as individually they wouldn't hurt another team's cap space.

Hell, if some team gives us 3 players at a total of 5 million, I think we could have a good chance at moving two of them somehow and having a net gain of 3 million more cap space and maybe a mid round draft pick or two.

El Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote