HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Training supplements: soy based protein bad for males?

Old
04-20-2010, 10:26 AM
gintonic

vCash: 500
Training supplements: soy based protein bad for males?

I know most that play hockey and take nutritional supplements use some sort of protein type supplement. On that note I recently read an article in one of those fitness magazines in a waiting room that was claiming soy based protein is not good for males and even went so far as to say they can cause 'man boobs'. Anyone know anything on this and can elaborate?

gintonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 11:37 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Good read

Basically, unless all you're eating is soy, and you're eating a ton of it, you shouldn't have much to worry about.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 12:51 PM
Hfboards2010

If you are looking for vegetarian proteins, you can usually find some made from (or mix) pea / brown rice / hemp / Alfalfa. Sometimes they will add some chlorella or spirulina as well.

I try to stay away from soy proteins, as soy is already found in a lot of food. Too much of something is like not enough.

Hfboards2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 01:21 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Unless you're a vegan or completely allergic to milk, go with whey protein (made from milk), it's better anyway. If you want the stuff with less fat and all that, whey protein isolate.

WhipNash27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 01:23 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Soy based protein is not bad for guys, I've eaten plenty of items with soy protein in it, specifically clif bars, for years. I'm lean, fit and have a pretty chiseled chest.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 02:54 PM
ipushmycar

Soy protein is the least effective protein for growing muscle/strength. I've read a lot of studies suggesting soy protein does inhibit testosterone/promote estrogen.

The only protein supplement worth buying is a good whey isolate. Otherwise, get your protein mostly from food (beef, chicken, fish, eggs, etc). Nutrition > supplements.

ipushmycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 03:51 PM
frito

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipushmycar View Post
Soy protein is the least effective protein for growing muscle/strength. I've read a lot of studies suggesting soy protein does inhibit testosterone/promote estrogen.

The only protein supplement worth buying is a good whey isolate. Otherwise, get your protein mostly from food (beef, chicken, fish, eggs, etc). Nutrition > supplements.
Yeah, I also read an article about a gentleman in Texas that began drinking soy milk after his wife passed away. It really wreaked hovoc on his system, he lost strength and began developing feminine features. The docs finally isolated it to his fondness of Silk (soy milk). After a while away from silk he went back to normal. If I recall correctly, the article talked about how it increases Estogen, a female hormone. As the above says, stick with a good whey protein mix or from good lean whole foods. Stay away from soy. I think the article was in Men's Health or Men's Fitness. It's been a couple years since I read it and don't recall for certain.

Last edited by frito: 04-20-2010 at 04:14 PM.
frito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 03:56 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Yeah, no real reason not to go with whey unless you're vegan or have allergies.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 06:21 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Those articles are a 10 million to 1 fluke and are almost certainly people who had soy allergies to begin with. Trust me, it's not harmful unless it's the ONLY thing you're eating.

Last edited by BadHammy*: 04-20-2010 at 08:11 PM.
Old
04-20-2010, 07:39 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
I've also read that soy increases estrogen levels in males. I don't need to see any facts or horror stories, if I read about anything that increases my estrogen levels I'm out. Estrogen=satan. If you don't believe me get into a long term relationship with a woman.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 09:06 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

If you want a well reasoned analysis, see http://www.bodybuildingforyou.com/he...fits-use-2.htm Read the whole thing, all 2 pages, lol. Male rhesus monkeys had no ill effects. The whole thing about soy turning men into women is whey protein propaganda. Again, you need to consume as much of your protein as possible from actual foods, not shakes or drinks. That (shakes, powders etc) is not healthy long term.