HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Patrick Marleau

Old
04-20-2010, 04:31 PM
SML

vCash: 500
We really have to stop with the UFA's. Any player that leaves a team CLEARLY superior to ours when they have abetter chance of winning virtually everywhere is IMO, not interested in winning. It would be one thing if you're Gaborik, trying to break away from a coach and organization stifling you defensively. But Marleau is not in that situation at all. I would question why he'd want to come here more than why we'd need him. He may as well go to the Maple Leafs. The only difference between us and them is Henrik.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 04:36 PM
patnyrnyg

also want no part of Kovalchuck. I hate +/- as a stat, but I am always leery of guys who score a lot, but have awful +/-. I know he played on lousy teams, but you would think a guy who scores as much as him shouldn't have such a terrible +/-. Just raises a red flag.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 04:41 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

No. He's 29, currently has a cap hit of $6.3M, is coming off a great year (playing with Heatley and Thornton). IF Drury magically and I emphasize MAGICALLY disappeared off our roster then it makes sense to sign him at 3 years, $5.5M. And San Jose's playoff record is another reason why I don't sign him. He has only OK playoff numbers. I want to spend my money on players who make other players better. Not players who do well when the team does well. Patty is a very good player but he is not of the game busting calibre we need and should not have the bank broken for. $5.5M sounds about right for my limit.

For some reason though, I think he'd play a lot better with Gaborik than Joe Thornton would.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 04:46 PM
Blazephr

God no. This guy pulls the Houdini act during the play-offs. Mark my words...he'll take his pay-day, then pull a no-show.

Blazephr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 04:55 PM
ecemleafs

Marleau is a very good player....but hes gonna get superstar money this summer and as we all know u cant pay good players as superstars.

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 04:59 PM
satrabyk

He may be a good skater and goal score a goal, but i want nothing to do with him either. Every year San Jose has done well in the regular seasona and have faded in the playoffs, its no suprise that Thornton and Marleau are the roots of that problem. I mean all in all hes a good player but not at all what will make this team a contender. I am really worried that he will be signed and Sather will have failed to have learned anything from history. We need a game changer (corsby, Ovechkin, Malkin, Datsuyk, etc) and if its not in FA than hey we will have to wait until within our club someone steps it up or appears from nowhere and takes on that role. I mean Kovalchuk can be an great player but he just has too many ups and downs in his play. I mean something is of his disliking he appears to lower his play rather than fight through it, that is the main reason i would not Sign Kovalchuk either.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 05:00 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
He'll get paid handsomely but it better not be by Sather.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 05:29 PM
The Thomas J.*

I like Marleau, just not in a Ranger uniform. I would rather give an ofer sheet to Backstrom.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 05:52 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Would rather they spend a fraction of that money on Matthew Lombardi.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 05:56 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Would rather they spend a fraction of that money on Matthew Lombardi.
Ditto. Lombardi is a very good B-level free agent that shouldnt get to much money. I would rather see him with Gaborik than Christensen.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 05:58 PM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
Ditto. Lombardi is a very good B-level free agent that shouldnt get to much money. I would rather see him with Gaborik than Christensen.
This is definitely a good thing to discuss.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 05:59 PM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Yep, I rather get Lombardi than Patty M.

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 06:02 PM
NYR Viper

So lets switch it to Lombardi.

He is fast, pesky and has underrated offense. I could see him thriving with Dubinsky and Gaborik and won't be too expensive.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 06:07 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

H to the E to the double L NOOOO!

If anyone's been watching the San Jose vs. Colorado series it's a textbook example of why to stay away from this guy. When the going gets tough, he's not there.

Him and Drury both on the team taking up nearly $14 million dollars.....no way.

Cheap B-level free agents are the way to go; Lombardi, Stempniak, Demitria short term, Kariya for a year, heck, anyone just not Marleau.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 06:11 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
H to the E to the double L NOOOO!

If anyone's been watching the San Jose vs. Colorado series it's a textbook example of why to stay away from this guy. When the going gets tough, he's not there.

Him and Drury both on the team taking up nearly $14 million dollars.....no way.

Cheap B-level free agents are the way to go; Lombardi, Stempniak, Demitria short term, Kariya for a year, heck, anyone just not Marleau.
I kind of agree with this post. We have 1 to 2 years before our guys are ready to make the jump to the NHL, we can rotate some of these proven Vets in & out & intergrate the rookies while still being competive.

One thing I would like Sather to do is sign at least 1 solid stay at home defensemen that can clear the crease out, That would be a good investment.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 06:20 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Huge pass from me.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 06:24 PM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Huge pass from me.
Yeah, me too. Wrong side of 30 for too much money and he's not the type that can create on his own.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 06:25 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Has anyone said no yet?

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 06:30 PM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SML View Post
We really have to stop with the UFA's. Any player that leaves a team CLEARLY superior to ours when they have abetter chance of winning virtually everywhere is IMO, not interested in winning. It would be one thing if you're Gaborik, trying to break away from a coach and organization stifling you defensively. But Marleau is not in that situation at all. I would question why he'd want to come here more than why we'd need him. He may as well go to the Maple Leafs. The only difference between us and them is Henrik.
This. It baffles me how many people will bash Sather, and then suggest doing the same things that he is being ridiculed for. Just stop with theUFA's. You don't win in the NHL through FA.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 06:30 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
Yeah, me too. Wrong side of 30 for too much money and he's not the type that can create on his own.
That's pretty much my thinking as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Has anyone said no yet?
You're the first!

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 06:32 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

I'm glad some agree about Lombardi. He isn't the greatest thing since sliced bread, but he would be a good under-the-radar pickup for who ever does sign him.

I'd actually like to see Christensen stay with Gaborik's line. He, for what ever reason, gained confidence and meshed well with Gaborik down the stretch.

Lombardi - Christensen - Gaborik
Dubinsky - Anisimov - Zuccarello
Avery - Drury - Callahan
Byers - Pyatt - Weise

Staal - Rozsival
Del Zotto - Seidenberg
Hamhuis - Girardi

Lundqvist
Raycroft

Not glamorous, but, could be good defensively, and tough.

Bury Redden in Hartford.

FA pickups: MZA, Lombardi, Seidenberg, Hamhuis, Pyatt, Raycroft
resign: Staal, Girardi, Christensen
out: Jokinen, Prospal, Redden, Shelley, Prust, Brashear, Voros

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 06:34 PM
HVPOLARBEARS19

Send a message via AIM to HVPOLARBEARS19 Send a message via MSN to HVPOLARBEARS19
I want nothing to do with Marleau. He is going to command the money that a GM should only give to a select 10-20 players in the league, and he is not one of them. The Sharks have a ridiculous amount of talent. Marleau is a good player, but I really question how well he'd do on a team that is not an offensive juggernaut. Considering the talent around him, Marleau has hugely disappointed more years than not.

Furthermore, he is ALREADY making a whopping $6,300,000...there is a legitimate chance that he will be making $8,000,000 or more this season...he's a UFA so that automatically means a raise is coming...he is a young UFA, which is also going for him, and, oh yeah, he just had a career season. He may take a little less to stay in SJ, but if he goes to another team? Jesus, $8,500,000 is seriously not out of the question, especially if there are more than a 2 or 3 teams interested in him. I want nothing to do with this guy.

HVPOLARBEARS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 06:40 PM
McDonaghisGod
Why not us?

Another guy with no heart. No thanks.

McDonaghisGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 06:42 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Disaster written all over it, IMHO.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 06:58 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
No. He's 29, currently has a cap hit of $6.3M, is coming off a great year (playing with Heatley and Thornton). IF Drury magically and I emphasize MAGICALLY disappeared off our roster then it makes sense to sign him at 3 years, $5.5M. And San Jose's playoff record is another reason why I don't sign him. He has only OK playoff numbers. I want to spend my money on players who make other players better. Not players who do well when the team does well. Patty is a very good player but he is not of the game busting calibre we need and should not have the bank broken for. $5.5M sounds about right for my limit.

For some reason though, I think he'd play a lot better with Gaborik than Joe Thornton would.
Don't mean to pick on you here, but why the hell would we get rid of one terrible FA and then just sign another?

Anyway, like everyone here I am against Marleau. Lombardi wouldn't be bad at the right price but I don't think he is a first liner. He topped out at 53 points this season, but he's been improving every season since he's been in the NHL . He's also 28 though.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote