HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

HNIC Radio draft prediction for NYI

Old
04-14-2010, 11:57 PM
louie lighthouse

vCash: 500
HNIC Radio draft prediction for NYI

Today while listening to HNIC radio on Sirius, host, Jeff Marek had Mark Seidel from Central Scouting on for a spot. After discussing what Edm would do with the 1st pick, Jeff Marek brought up NYI. To my utter amazement, Mark Seidel, who I think knows a hell of a lot about scouting and prospects, strongly suggested that NYI might pick Jack Campbell with the 5th pick overall. As you all probably recall, Jack Campbell was the US goalie at the WJHC and is probably the only goalie who will possibly go the 1st round this year. I almost crashed my car driving home when I heard this. Didn't we pick Koskinen with the 1st pick of the second round and Anders Nilsson with the 1st pick in the 3rd round last year? Also, hasn't Kevin Poulin morphed into a "real, potential" NHL prospect after his year in the "Q" this year?

Does anyone think or has anyone heard that NYI is considering drafting Campbell with the 5th pick this year? I certainly hope not.

All comments/responses/inside knowledge is appreciated.

louie lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 11:59 PM
Doug Height
Okposwag

Maybe he thinks Milbury is still GM.

Doug Height is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 12:04 AM
Law

Send a message via AIM to Law
I know a lot of people think DP is essentially (if not literally) done, but I can't imagine the Isles taking a goalie with the 5th pick. We have so many holes and needs that it would be a very odd move. Seems to be one of the few positions we are developing a bit of depth at in the junior/minor ranks.

Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 12:19 AM
The KGBeast

Christ, I hope this doesn't happen. Fortunately, I also don't think it will happen.

The KGBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 12:23 AM
Dice on Ice

Campbell is sick, but this makes no sense. And not because it's a goaltender.

Picking Campbell, in and of itself, would not be a bad move. However, picking him at 5 is not proper value.

What I can see is NYI trading for Anaheim's two first-round picks, then nabbing Campbell and Watson/Etem/Skinner/Pysyk/Forbort/Granlund.

That'd be a pretty good haul from the first round, especially if Fowler and Gudbranson are gone by 5.

But keep in mind the media have professed to know Snowy's move before he makes it several times, only to fall flat. How many baseless predictions did we see for Guerin's destination? How many times did we hear they were taking Filatov? How many times did we hear "the pick is Hedman" or "the pick is Duchene?" This is a guy who, in the era of a 24/7 hockey network, a team-specific blog, a ubiquitous news media with unfettered access to everyone, and the Almighty Internets, kept his secret about who was going #1 overall until the very last minute. Still don't think Snowy gets enough credit for doing that.

From where I'm sitting, I'd give Campbell at 5 about 20:1 odds of happening. I'd give Campbell somewhere else in the draft 15:1 odds. I spoke with Jankowski last summer, and he seemed really happy with Koskinen and Nilsson. However, I watched Campbell at the WJC, and he was pretty filthy.

Dice on Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 12:27 AM
TheBoss22

I listened to the show.

Basically Seidel's ranking had Campbell at #5, and the Isles have the #5 pick.

So Jeff Marek posed the question. "Do you think the Isles will take Campbell?" "if so, it would speak volumes w/regards to DiPietro's health".

Seidel's comments were more "he would hope someone has the guts to take Campbell higher than what Central Scouting has him at". Not necessarily Campbell would be a good fit for the Islanders or vice-versa.

TheBoss22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 02:07 AM
Belarus

We have enough goalies in our pipeline and Kevin Poulin is emerging as #1 for years to come. No way we pick goalie with #5. No way.

Belarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 03:24 AM
Isles Junkie

Picking a goalie with the #5 would be really depressing.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 03:29 AM
josra33

If they are that hell-bent on taking Campbell, don't you think they would pull what they did to get Bailey? Making a bunch of trades back and picking up some extra draft picks? I can see them moving back to 8th, then to 10th and lastly to 12th or 13th where they could then take him. May not be a bad strategy.

josra33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 06:40 AM
Fantom

I do not think they will draft A goalie with there fifth overall pick.
Did we not draft one or two net minders last year at the draft.
I really hope that we go and draft some D this year.
WE have holes in every spot but our d IMO is the biggest hole.

Fantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 10:49 AM
isles31
Poster Excellont

campbell is going to be, in all likelyhood, a very good number 1 goaltender in this league. That said, unless the isles trade down and pick up 2 1st rd picks in the draft(as someone had stated) there is no shot he gets taken at 5. snow picked up 3 very solid keepers in the last 2 drafts in poulin, mikko and anders. No need to pick up yet another, esp with a #5 pick.

isles31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 10:51 AM
twentytwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belarus View Post
We have enough goalies in our pipeline and Kevin Poulin is emerging as #1 for years to come. No way we pick goalie with #5. No way.
I agree that we seem to have depth in the net. But I don't know if Kevin Poulin is emerging as anything yet. He's had a great year, that can't be ignored. But as a #1 for years to come? I want to see how he progresses in the A first.

twentytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 10:57 AM
redbull
respect, earned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dice on Ice View Post
But keep in mind the media have professed to know Snowy's move before he makes it several times, only to fall flat. How many baseless predictions did we see for Guerin's destination? How many times did we hear they were taking Filatov? How many times did we hear "the pick is Hedman" or "the pick is Duchene?" This is a guy who, in the era of a 24/7 hockey network, a team-specific blog, a ubiquitous news media with unfettered access to everyone, and the Almighty Internets, kept his secret about who was going #1 overall until the very last minute. Still don't think Snowy gets enough credit for doing that.
excellent point. I wouldn't put much stock into what ANYONE in hockey says about what the Islanders might do. I remember Bob MacKenzie saying flat out "I have no idea what the Islanders will do with the pick" - I really respect MacK (as MANY do) for his frankness, even when the eyes/ears of hockey is pointed squarely on him, for his thoughts. Snow's not colorful and egotistical like Burke (whom I really like as well) - but he's a strength in this organization, not a weakness.

I've really learned to trust Snow as a GM. He carries himself like a savvy GM and he has made very shrewd moves - far better than was expected of him based on his (lack of) experience!

That said, his inability to address large holes in the roster is frustrating. I assume it's a budget thing because I don't imagine there's a GM in hockey who likes to lose games, who wouldn't upgrade the personnel if there's opportunity$$$. Not necessarily like NYR does every July - but there is a happy medium.

I'm expecting much more from Snow (or Wang) before October. There are options (and at LEAST enough $$$ to get to the cap floor).

I'd like to see some creativity in order to get the team competitive.

RFAs, cap space, UFAs, trades, etc.

I think actual results are long overdue for this franchise. Although they're "on the right track", not reason not to upgrade the canyon-like holes on the NHL roster.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 11:31 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Doesn't happen at #5.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 11:57 AM
KH1

Generally I'm willing to defer to scouts and people who get paid to share their informed opinions on prospects over my own (usually) baseless speculation.

But if the Isles take Jack Campbell with the #5 pick, I quit.

KH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 11:57 AM
RWWallpaper

We need to improve the defensive prospect cupboard even more then goaltender. We already addressed the goalie issues the last 2 drafts and have a couple of nice looking kids. Our defense corps however are shallow to say the least and if the BPA happens to play the backline when our turn at the podium rolls around, you say his name, and sit back down...very simple.

RWWallpaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 01:37 PM
petrocelli
I love the Draft!!

I'll puke if we take Campbell at #5...
I like our prospect depth at the goalie position..
heck, one of Koskinen, Poulin, Nilsson, Ridderwall should pan out.. You don't take goalies at the top of the second and third rounds and then take a goalie in the first round the following year.. we have too many other holes, and Campbell just isn't good value at #5 even if we hadn't taken any goalies at all last year.. The value at #5 is with Connelly, Gud or Fowler..

On the topic of our goalie prospects, I believe Poulin is done with his junior eligibility, and Koskinen with be with Bridgeport next year.. So are we looking at Poulin and Koskinen splitting time at Bridgeport next year, essentially as goalies 1A and 1B?? Or do we hold onto one of Lawson or the other guy (forget his name) to play with Koskinen in Bridgeport and Poulin starts at Utah??

petrocelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 02:10 PM
Renbarg

I would be incredibly surprised if the Islanders picked a goalie anywhere in the first 3 rounds. That is the only thing that would really truly piss me off.

I always think BPA except in regards to goalies. Then you actually have to look at what you have in your system.

Renbarg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 02:15 PM
JT91

no way the islanders are taking a goalie at 5 they need defense

JT91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 05:29 PM
Jester9881

Jack Campbell is good..... damn good.... so good, I wouldn't be completely outraged if they did pick him 5th. That guy is just a winner, plain and simple. In the same way that Billy Smith was money in big games, this kid just seems to turn it up a notch when it matters most. JMHO from seeing him play.

That said, If one of the big three defenseman are available, they've got to go that rout.

Jester9881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 08:55 PM
OlTimeHockey

If the goalie is THAT good, take the goalie.

"We had Potvin, CuJo and Peters, so we passed over Roy for a foreward."

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 09:09 PM
Paulinho
No Man's Sky

I think we should trade up to the 1st pick, maybe Edmonton will take a package of our 1st, Bailey, Hamonic, Petrov & de Haan for the 1st overall. Then we can select Jack Campbell.

Paulinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 09:53 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyRanT View Post
I think we should trade up to the 1st pick, maybe Edmonton will take a package of our 1st, Bailey, Hamonic, Petrov & de Haan for the 1st overall. Then we can select Jack Campbell.
Milbury's gone but Wang can always use another golf buddy to go to concerts with. How's his hair?

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2010, 09:42 AM
HyeDray
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
excellent point. I wouldn't put much stock into what ANYONE in hockey says about what the Islanders might do. I remember Bob MacKenzie saying flat out "I have no idea what the Islanders will do with the pick" - I really respect MacK (as MANY do) for his frankness, even when the eyes/ears of hockey is pointed squarely on him, for his thoughts. Snow's not colorful and egotistical like Burke (whom I really like as well) - but he's a strength in this organization, not a weakness.

I've really learned to trust Snow as a GM. He carries himself like a savvy GM and he has made very shrewd moves - far better than was expected of him based on his (lack of) experience!

That said, his inability to address large holes in the roster is frustrating. I assume it's a budget thing because I don't imagine there's a GM in hockey who likes to lose games, who wouldn't upgrade the personnel if there's opportunity$$$. Not necessarily like NYR does every July - but there is a happy medium.

I'm expecting much more from Snow (or Wang) before October. There are options (and at LEAST enough $$$ to get to the cap floor).

I'd like to see some creativity in order to get the team competitive.

RFAs, cap space, UFAs, trades, etc.

I think actual results are long overdue for this franchise. Although they're "on the right track", not reason not to upgrade the canyon-like holes on the NHL roster.
I just dont see the Isles taking a goalie in the first round—in particular at #5. They could trade down to Aniheim—get the two picks—maybe then it makes more sense. I think they take Gundbanson or Fowler if either is on the board. If both are gone—I look for them to move down to 7—pick up an additional second round pick, and take Neiderreiter—a perfect fit for us as we need a left wing.

That said—the points made above are critical.

Snow has earned a certain degree of my trust—especially at the draft. He has been quietly building a fine stable of young players. Consider where we were in terms of the league—we had NO farm system, and NO prospects coming in. Today—just two years into the build—we have Petrov, Hamonic, Martin, Joensuu, De Haan and several others who are promising.

With regard to filling holes—I dont see it as a money issue. It has been said repeatedly, he has the free reign to spend. I believe him. But I think he has a strict "code" or "idea" if you will of how much money he offers a player. I think he has a clear concept that player "x" is worth "y" dollars for "z" years and while there is room for negotiation, there is a limit.

We may not get player "x" because we would not go for the extra 2 seasons, or extra million per season—but lets say the Rangers did. OR maybe Philly did. Guess what—the Rangers with all that Payroll missed the playoffs and Philly barely got their. My point is that I have a certain respect for this.

The one place where we need to improve is size. This is what makes Gundbanson so important if we can draft him. This is why I can't phathom why Joensuu has not been playing here or Martin on a regular basis. Perhaps that is the plan—with Sim likely gone, and perhaps Bergeheim, Park and Weight possibly gone—some room for these players becomes available. I think size will be addressed with pick 5. I can't see them taking another small forward of defenseman with the pick.

HyeDray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2010, 10:11 AM
doublechili

vCash: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
If the goalie is THAT good, take the goalie.

"We had Potvin, CuJo and Peters, so we passed over Roy for a foreward."
Exactly. If he's the highest guy on their list and they don't think they can risk dropping back and still get him, then they'll take him at #5. Everybody always says "BPA" around here, right?

This is as good a place as any to throw something out I've thought of more than once over the past month or so. Last year there were a handful of times I thought the Isles did things that smelled a little of tanking, or at least that they weren't making a supreme effort to win at all costs. Nothing dramatic, but just a few little things. This year I never got that feeling at all. Which made me wonder if they might not like a guy who is a little off the board so that it didn't matter if they picked 3rd or 8th. I hesitate to even post this because it's a little crazy-conspiracy sounding and it was just a fleeting thought, but there you go anyway.

doublechili is offline   Reply With Quote