HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Thinking of getting a droid

Old
04-21-2010, 08:00 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSeven View Post
I wouldnt say it is hands down the best phone, there are drawbacks to it.
Best Android Phone. My mistake.

Quote:
Keep in mind that anything Sense UI tends to lag badly behind with regards to updates. The incredible does have a hell of a touchscreen from what I have read though.
Yeah it will lag behind. But I believe Google is going to slow down with the Android updates. That and they will modularize important core apps like Gmail and Google Maps.

Quote:
If you were looking to go with a new HTC Sense UI unit sans keyboard, you should wait for the Evo 4G.
I made the recomendation based on the face he's asking about the Dovour so I'm guessing OP wants to stick with Big Red.

Quote:
Are the new HTC units coming with the complete voice command that the N1 has? I dont see why they wouldnt, but I dont see the little microphone on the keyboard in the pictures online. Its amazing how well the N1 can pick up your voice....and how you can do everything by voice.
It's not actually the phone doing the work. You need a data connection for the voice recognition to work. But yeah it's cool!

Sined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 06:10 PM
grncobra76

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhf1 View Post
Are you looking for a R2 unit or a protocol droid?
That was the funniest reply I have read in a while.

Anyways.

Not sure if you guys have seen this, I was looking @ the N1 and Incredible BUT...
I'm holding out for this bad boy:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/19218...martphone.html

HTC Sprint Evo.

Here are some videos:

http://www.gadgetsdna.com/top-10-spr...w-videos/1668/

Then a side by side comparison.

http://www.androidcentral.com/droid-...g-vs-nexus-one

grncobra76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 06:48 PM
FruityPants3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness View Post
I like the new Dell Thunder (Android-based) and Lightning (Windows Mobile 7-based) phones.

Thunder:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/21/d...creen-promise/

Lightning:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/21/d...ice-leaks-out/
The Dell Flash looks pretty sexy too.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/21/d...matic-package/

FruityPants3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 06:55 PM
invictus

I hate myself for getting the HTC Hero. I don't use enough features on this thing. I spent $200 after rebates to get email on my phone and surf the net. Seems foolish in hindsight.

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 11:32 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by invictus View Post
I hate myself for getting the HTC Hero. I don't use enough features on this thing. I spent $200 after rebates to get email on my phone and surf the net. Seems foolish in hindsight.
Really? =[ I feel a little responsable so I'm compelled to say sorry. =[

If you feel it's foolish at the sight of these new "super" phones well then that's just normal. New things come out every 6 months.

After using your Hero, do you feel like you could have lived with a dumbphone?

I certainly can't see myself going back to my old Samsung m300.

Old
04-23-2010, 08:13 AM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Thanks for all the replies.

I went from a Voyager (garbage) to the Chocolate touch (garbage) so I'm hoping I can't go wrong with the Incredible. All these other ideas from phones coming out later may be an option down the road, but I can't take this one I have now for much longer.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2010, 08:31 AM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
Thanks for all the replies.

I went from a Voyager (garbage) to the Chocolate touch (garbage) so I'm hoping I can't go wrong with the Incredible. All these other ideas from phones coming out later may be an option down the road, but I can't take this one I have now for much longer.
You've made a good choice. If the folks at engadget love the Incredible (I feel they have been hard on Android phones in the past) then you know you have a winner.

Old
04-23-2010, 12:59 PM
invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
Really? =[ I feel a little responsable so I'm compelled to say sorry. =[

If you feel it's foolish at the sight of these new "super" phones well then that's just normal. New things come out every 6 months.

After using your Hero, do you feel like you could have lived with a dumbphone?

I certainly can't see myself going back to my old Samsung m300.
Nah, it isn't your fault man Just general buyer's remorse. I've been watching lots of Mad Men and reflecting on consumerism. Haha.

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2010, 02:18 PM
Grabtastic

I'm just going to stick with my Blackberry Storm 2. It does everything I need it to do.

Grabtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2010, 03:05 PM
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking

Send a message via MSN to Jill Sandwich
Uncle Owen! This one has a bad motivator!

Jill Sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2010, 03:26 PM
Defgarden

T-mobile is getting shafted with Android phone options. There IS the Nexus One, but as someone with a family plan and a grandfathered g1 data plan, I'm kinda stuck as far as getting good pricing on it. I could buy it outright, but it's 530 a pop, and I would like to get one for my wife as well.

Defgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 12:38 AM
Saren
Multi Pass!

I don't know much about phones, but after 2 years approx. I decided to get a new phone as my old one had major issues.. and was generally lacking in many departments. Does anyone know much about this sony ericsson XPERIA phone I purchased today? I "think" the guy who sold it to me said something about it being a droid... thought it might be smart to post here... thanks again!

Saren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 01:15 AM
awesomo
HARD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saren View Post
I don't know much about phones, but after 2 years approx. I decided to get a new phone as my old one had major issues.. and was generally lacking in many departments. Does anyone know much about this sony ericsson XPERIA phone I purchased today? I "think" the guy who sold it to me said something about it being a droid... thought it might be smart to post here... thanks again!
I think it runs android, i was playing with taht phone the other day. When it originally came out it had huge hype... kinda died off ever since and really never heard much about it

good phone review website: www.gsmarena.com

Last edited by awesomo: 04-27-2010 at 01:21 AM.
awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 09:23 AM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 200
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
I just got the HTC Hero on Sprint. I love it. No complaints so far.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 09:39 PM
Saren
Multi Pass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
I think it runs android, i was playing with taht phone the other day. When it originally came out it had huge hype... kinda died off ever since and really never heard much about it

good phone review website: www.gsmarena.com
Hype died in 10 days, eh? Haha. Well it's great compared to what I've used in the past. The XPERIA X10 is really cool... maybe moreso since I got it at a great deal.

Old
04-27-2010, 10:15 PM
SilverSeven

I think he meant when it was announced...which was quite a while ago. It had HUUUUGE hype...then a bunch of similar or better phones came along. It was announced too early, and people got sick of waiting. I was blown away by the X10, but in the time I spent waiting for it a LOT came along. Thats not to say it isnt a fantastic phone. People tend to crown one phone a king based on only a few specs while ignoring the smaller features that can make big differences.

Last edited by SilverSeven: 04-27-2010 at 10:22 PM.
SilverSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 10:19 PM
Saren
Multi Pass!

Quote:
I think he meant when it was announced...which was quite a while ago. It had HUUUUGE hype...then a bunch of similar or better phones came along. It was announced too early, and people got sick of waiting. I was blown away by the X10, but in the time I spent waiting for it a LOT came along. Thats not to say it isnt a fantastic phone.
I see. It runs like an amped-up iPhone, from what I've used so far.

Question: How the heck do I disable Timescape? I never want to set it as my "home" function, and so whenever I turn it off (the option to set Timescape as a "home" preference) everything is great until I realized that there is still one box in the middle of my screen, from the Timescape app no less.

Can anybody help me? Much appreciated.

Old
04-28-2010, 01:20 AM
awesomo
HARD!

Quote:
I think he meant when it was announced...which was quite a while ago. It had HUUUUGE hype...then a bunch of similar or better phones came along. It was announced too early, and people got sick of waiting. I was blown away by the X10, but in the time I spent waiting for it a LOT came along. Thats not to say it isnt a fantastic phone. People tend to crown one phone a king based on only a few specs while ignoring the smaller features that can make big differences.
Yea this is basically it. Im actually a little surprised it came to Canada, we never get awesome phones that the European/Asians/Americans get.

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 08:42 AM
Stories
Hockey scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saren View Post
I see. It runs like an amped-up iPhone, from what I've used so far.

Question: How the heck do I disable Timescape? I never want to set it as my "home" function, and so whenever I turn it off (the option to set Timescape as a "home" preference) everything is great until I realized that there is still one box in the middle of my screen, from the Timescape app no less.

Can anybody help me? Much appreciated.
I'm not 100% sure because I don't have a X10 (or that app you speak of), but if you go into your system settings and Applications and then Manage Applications, you should be able to disable certain pre-loading functionality of that app, as you can with just about any app in Android (as I've experienced with the Moto Droid).

Stories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 09:29 AM
SilverSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
Yea this is basically it. Im actually a little surprised it came to Canada, we never get awesome phones that the European/Asians/Americans get.
Thats starting to change. The 3 curent kings of the Android jungle are all available in Canada, as are all blackberrys, and of course the king kong of the phone world the iphone.

Asia and Europe do tend to get a lot of crazy stuff that doesnt ever make it to NA though. But that trend is changing, and hopefully companies like Nokia start to realise that it might be a good idea to release their phones here.

Old
04-28-2010, 09:54 AM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Thats starting to change. The 3 curent kings of the Android jungle are all available in Canada, as are all blackberrys, and of course the king kong of the phone world the iphone.

Asia and Europe do tend to get a lot of crazy stuff that doesnt ever make it to NA though. But that trend is changing, and hopefully companies like Nokia start to realise that it might be a good idea to release their phones here.
Well Android/Google being American and Blackberry/RIM being Canadian also has a huge impact on that.

I would still like to see the Desire or a GSM/HSPA version of the EVO 4G come to NA in the AT&T/Rogers/Telus/Bell variety.

Old
04-28-2010, 10:32 AM
BlueAndWhite

Canadian phone selection has/will improve because of Telus & Bell's switch to HSDPA.

BlueAndWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 10:56 AM
SilverSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
Well Android/Google being American and Blackberry/RIM being Canadian also has a huge impact on that.

I would still like to see the Desire or a GSM/HSPA version of the EVO 4G come to NA in the AT&T/Rogers/Telus/Bell variety.
Im aware of that. The reasons dont really matte though, its that we are getitng the best phones. That just happens to be because the 3 most desirable OS's are North American, and two of the biggest smartphone makers are also North American.

Old
04-29-2010, 03:24 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Picked up the Incredible today around noon. Really amazing how much functionality I've been missing with non-smart phones. Will take a while to get used to but very excited so far. The keyboard is awesome for a touch screen.

I guess the only real annoyance so far is the syncing of your google account as having so many e-mail accounts it gets cluttered with the phone contacts. I did the duplicate feature in gmail but its still cluttered to me. Any suggestions?

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 04:47 PM
Stories
Hockey scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
Picked up the Incredible today around noon. Really amazing how much functionality I've been missing with non-smart phones. Will take a while to get used to but very excited so far. The keyboard is awesome for a touch screen.

I guess the only real annoyance so far is the syncing of your google account as having so many e-mail accounts it gets cluttered with the phone contacts. I did the duplicate feature in gmail but its still cluttered to me. Any suggestions?
There is an option in the contacts under settings where you can only have people with phone numbers appear in your contacts list. This will limit the clutter in your contacts. Also, if you go into your Gmail account (on your PC), you can merge contacts fairly easily so there aren't multiple contacts floating around.

Once you get this whole sync thing down (especially with things like Google Calendar and Google Reader (both RSS/Atom and podcasts), you'll never want to live without an Android phone again. I've only been on Android for 5 months, and I already can't imagine life without it.

Stories is offline   Reply With Quote