Notices

Thrashers draft

Closed Thread

Old
05-08-2004, 07:07 AM
dunwoody_joe

vCash: 500
Thrashers draft

Here is my take on how the draft might go. If it breaks this way, the Thrashers can select from several high potential guys like Radulov, Stafford and Picard.

1. WSH - Alexander Ovechkin
2. PIT - Evgeni Malkin
3. CHI - Cam Barker
4. CBJ - Rostislav Olesz
5. PHX - Lauri Tukonen
6. NYR -Rob Schremp
7. FLA - Andrew Ladd
8. CAR - Wojtek Wolski
9. ANA - A.J. Thelen
10. ATL - Alexander Radulov

It could turn out that DW might trade down a couple of slots though. LA drafts at #11 and covets a goalie. The two best goalies are still on the board at #10 so it is possible that someone, (say Edmonton), trades up to grab their preferred goalie ahead of LA. In that case, DW could get another draft choice (or prospect) to move into Edmonton's #14 slot and still get one of Radulov, Stafford or Picard.

Old
05-08-2004, 10:26 AM
kovalchuk17atl

Personally, I hope that Wolski somehow falls to number 10 and the Thrashers take him. But I wouldn't mind Radulov either. What you said about the Oilers trading up makes sense, but I hope it doesn't happen.

Old
05-08-2004, 06:47 PM
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army

Unless there is a big suprise such as Barker, Thelen, Schremp or possibley even Olesz being available at pick 10, I think DW would look at seriously trading the pick.

I see a scenario such as trading the pick for a no.1 d-man or like DJ suggested trading down to a team such as Edmonton possibly get another pick or prospect.

Old
05-08-2004, 07:33 PM
dunwoody_joe

I doubt that a legit #1 defenseman is available for the #10 pick in the draft.

It seems more likely that DW might snag said #1 defenseman through UFA--if there is a season at all.

I can see a trade but for picks and prospects.

Old
05-09-2004, 02:23 PM
CH Wizard

Send a message via MSN to CH Wizard
Guys it is possible to trade the atlanta trashers 10th overall pick like Ron Hainsey and Marcel Hossa for the 10 th overall pick or it is better to keep this round pick

Old
05-09-2004, 06:22 PM

Send a message via ICQ to #2
Hey maybe instead of trading their pick down, they trade their pick up to the 7th or lower to draft Schremp, Olesz, Barker or etc...
Something like 10th overall + Jim Slater + 3rd or 4th to move up to the 7th or 6th

Last edited by #2: 05-09-2004 at 06:25 PM.
Old
05-09-2004, 06:54 PM
dunwoody_joe

I wouldn't mind DW trading up to snag a Barker or Thalen. But I wouldn't package up Slater. Slater has serious upside potential at center and the cupboard is plenty bare behind him.

I would move picks or prospects to move up. Say our #10 and somebody like Nikulin, D Mac, Kaczowka, Weaver, Sellars, Sipotz.

Or package up a vet with the #10 to move up: Lessard, Larsen, Lindsey, Rossiter, Brennan,Tamer, Trembley, ...

But Slater is too valuable at this point, IMHO.

Old
06-01-2004, 05:08 PM
thrashers=cup05

I agree with you Joe. I hear that Slater is one of those center you just don't give up. Besides i love what he said when we drafted him. "Last night when i was in my room i got phone calls from four teams and they ssaid if your still around when we pick we're gonna pick you. Now im sitting here and all these teams are getting called up and they don't select me. Then the trashers selected me. Guess I'll just have to kick the other teams A@s." Or something close to that it was 2 years ago.

Old
06-01-2004, 05:21 PM
Holly Gunning

We're having our staff mock draft now and Wolski was still available at #10 so I picked him. The full results are going to be written up and posted when we're done. It's slow going though, and we have to pause for some closure in the finals before continuing.

Old
06-01-2004, 06:49 PM
dunwoody_joe

Not a bad choice Holly. Personally I am not sold on Wolski. He seems to be dropping a bit in the consensus rankings because of a perceived lack of intensity. I've never seen him play but he is big and has a scoring touch. We could sure use that!

I've been involved with a couple mocks myself and it seems that mostly the decision for the Thrashers at #10 revolve around: Picard, Stafford and/or Wolski. I like them in that order.

If Schremp is available, I think I might like him best although I doubt that DW will select him (too much of a high risk guy). I cannot say that I blame him but I really like the kid's upside. The Thrashers' really need what Schremp can bring--if he can fulfill his potential!

Who was available to you at #10?

Old
06-01-2004, 07:10 PM
Holly Gunning

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunwoody_joe
Who was available to you at #10?
Wolski, Stafford, Valabik, Picard, Graham.

I had reasons for making/not making the exact pick I did, trying to make the pick I thought the team would in that situation. I'm not going to spell out exactly what the reasons were though. Best forward available given some other factors, tidbits I've picked up over time.

On a side note, I saw Valabik play this year and there was almost nothing I liked about him. Not a good first impression.

Last edited by Holly Gunning: 06-01-2004 at 07:16 PM.
Old
06-01-2004, 07:37 PM
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army

Are we going to have a thrasher 1st round and 2nd round prediction contest on this board this year? That was kind of cool last time.

Old
06-01-2004, 07:45 PM
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreatone
Guys it is possible to trade the atlanta trashers 10th overall pick like Ron Hainsey and Marcel Hossa for the 10 th overall pick or it is better to keep this round pick
Hossa and Hainsey for the 10th pick.

I would seriously consider that on draft day if Barker, Schremp, Ladd, Tukkonen, Thelen, Olesz are gone (as expected) by the 10th pick. Wolski, Stafford and Picard are very good prospects and I wouldn't mind anyone of them but so are Hossa and Hainsey and a two for one deal appeals to me.

Old
06-01-2004, 07:53 PM
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunwoody_joe
Not a bad choice Holly. Personally I am not sold on Wolski. He seems to be dropping a bit in the consensus rankings because of a perceived lack of intensity. I've never seen him play but he is big and has a scoring touch. We could sure use that!
So am I. I having 2nd thoughts on Wolski basically going by what I have read about him in draft guides. He seems to be slipping from a certain top 10 to about pick 15. I think now Stafford is a better pick for Atlanta. He's big as Wolski but he is much more physical and is projected to become a 1st line power forward. We need some scoring depth at right wing after Heatley given that McEachern is a converted left winger.

Old
06-02-2004, 06:58 AM
ThrasherB

Plus, Mac just isn't going to be a viable rw for much longer. He's what, 35 this year? Scoring RW is definitely a weakness for the Thrashers beyond the upcoming season. I like a couple of the younger 3rd and 4th line guys we have there, but we definitely need to look for a future offensive threat on the right side.

Old
06-02-2004, 07:26 AM
Holly Gunning

Quote:
I'm having 2nd thoughts on Wolski basically going by what I have read about him in draft guides. He seems to be slipping from a certain top 10 to about pick 15.
Bah. How often are those really correct in predicting where people go? In the ballpark, but not near the base. I plan to buy the THN mainly for the headshots so I know who is who at the draft.

Old
06-02-2004, 01:44 PM
Ismellofhockey

Atlanta scouts seem to really like their big (and I mean BIG) defencemen, having drafted many of them over the past years, the last of which being Cobourn.
Now I know defence may not be a weakness in terms of prospect depth for the Thrashers but I feel Valabik might be too appealing to your organisation to pass him up, even if it means trading down.

Personally if I were the Thrashers I'd go with Stafford or Thelen if available but does anyone think that the scouts will catch the hulking defenceman bug again?

Closed Thread