HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Edmonton Oiler proposals (Toronto, Montreal, Buffalo)

Closed Thread

Old
05-07-2004, 03:24 PM
Mizral

vCash: 500
Edmonton Oiler proposals (Toronto, Montreal, Buffalo)

Looking out East to make some trades for the Oilers. Let me know what you think:

To Edmonton : Tomas Kaberle

To Toronto : Jason Smith

Both guys are going to arbitration, Smith will probobly make more bread due to his great season over Kaberle's poor one. The Oilers desperatly need more puck moving defensemen, and Kaberle fits the bill. The Leafs desperatly need more stay at home warriors, and Jason Smith fits the bill.

To Edmonton : Mathieu Garon, Marcel Hossa

To Montreal : Philadelphia's 1st round pick, Brad Isbister, Jussi Markkanen

The Habs give up their stalwart backup, but they've got a superstar netminder in Theodore anyways. Markkanen gives them another backup in stead of Garon, and Isbister gives the Habs some size which they really need. The 1st round pick is in there to sweeten the pot. I figured that value-wise, the Habs are winning out a bit here, so I thought if the Habs could add in a prospect or a pick. I put Marcel Hossa in there, but realistically a 3rd round pick would be sufficient if they'd rather keep Hossa.

To Edmonton : Jay McKee, Andrew Peters

To Buffalo : Alexei Semenov, Georges Laraque & Jani Rita

The Oilers pick up even more defensemen in McKee, who adds some toughness to replace a potentially departed Smith. Peters is a big downgrade for the Oilers, but they also lose some salary there too compared to Laraque. The Sabres get one of the toughest men in the league in Laraque, a young towering defenseman with a lot of tools but had an off year last year, and Jani Rita, a #1 pick in 1999 who has yet to find his role with the Oilers, and probobly never will due to the left wing log-jam going on in Edmonton.

Comments? If you don't like a trade or don't think it's feasable, feel free to adjust things a bit.

Old
05-07-2004, 03:27 PM
TVanek26*

Send a message via AIM to TVanek26*

McKee>>>Semenov and Rita (I wouldn't want trade a 9th for Rita)

Laraque>Peters

Take our McKee and Rita and put in Tallinder and I would maybe do it.

Old
05-07-2004, 03:29 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

That last deal is drastic overpayment in terms of prospects (although I am very high on Semenov so I may be biased). It also leaves Buffalo with one hell of a sad blueline - only one legitimate top-4 guy (Kalinin) and one proven NHLer (Tallinder). Big no, from both sides.

Garon is an interesting notion. I'd go for a different prospect in return than Marcel Hossa, he's crap. Perhaps Plekanec? The Habs can't have much use for him considering they already have smallish centers in Koivu and Ribeiro.

Old
05-07-2004, 03:31 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral

The Oilers pick up even more defensemen in McKee, who adds some toughness to replace a potentially departed Smith. Peters is a big downgrade for the Oilers, but they also lose some salary there too compared to Laraque. The Sabres get one of the toughest men in the league in Laraque, a young towering defenseman with a lot of tools but had an off year last year, and Jani Rita, a #1 pick in 1999 who has yet to find his role with the Oilers, and probobly never will due to the left wing log-jam going on in Edmonton.
The other two deals aren't bad but I think this one is way off. McKee is a pretty good d-man who is still relatively young but he's played in less than 60 games the last 2 seasons. I don't think the Oilers would want Peters back in return either as they'd probably rather promote a guy like Dan Baum or even Rocky Thompson ( ). I personally think Semenov, Rita + Laraque are worth a lot more than McKee and Peters.

Old
05-07-2004, 03:32 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielBriere48

McKee>>>Semenov and Rita (I wouldn't want trade a 9th for Rita)

Laraque>Peters

Take our McKee and Rita and put in Tallinder and I would maybe do it.
Heh that's kind of funny because I felt the exact opposite way in regards to the trade and I'm an Oilers fan. It must be a good deal then..

Old
05-07-2004, 03:37 PM
Mizral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral
Heh that's kind of funny because I felt the exact opposite way in regards to the trade and I'm an Oilers fan. It must be a good deal then..
Well, perhaps I'm a masochist, but every trade proposal is met with criticism on this board. I personally think all these trades make sense for all parties involved, but what do I know.

Though, I will say this - if the Oilers could get Tallinder over Mckee, I'd do it.. I think Tallinder is even better than McKee.

Old
05-07-2004, 03:38 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Well, perhaps I'm a masochist, but every trade proposal is met with criticism on this board. I personally think all these trades make sense for all parties involved, but what do I know.

Though, I will say this - if the Oilers could get Tallinder over Mckee, I'd do it.. I think Tallinder is even better than McKee.
I agree with that.. I'm not sure I'd be willing to cut Semenov lose in an effort to do so though.

Old
05-07-2004, 03:39 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Quote:

Heck no.

We have too many wingers and all of them are better than Rita, I am not sure about
Semenov though.

Mckee is far to valuable to give up in this deal in a market that lacks tough D-men.

Old
05-07-2004, 03:39 PM
Safir*

Quote:
Looking out East to make some trades for the Oilers. Let me know what you think:

To Edmonton : Tomas Kaberle

To Toronto : Jason Smith

Both guys are going to arbitration, Smith will probobly make more bread due to his great season over Kaberle's poor one. The Oilers desperatly need more puck moving defensemen, and Kaberle fits the bill. The Leafs desperatly need more stay at home warriors, and Jason Smith fits the bill.

To Edmonton : Mathieu Garon, Marcel Hossa

To Montreal : Philadelphia's 1st round pick, Brad Isbister, Jussi Markkanen

The Habs give up their stalwart backup, but they've got a superstar netminder in Theodore anyways. Markkanen gives them another backup in stead of Garon, and Isbister gives the Habs some size which they really need. The 1st round pick is in there to sweeten the pot. I figured that value-wise, the Habs are winning out a bit here, so I thought if the Habs could add in a prospect or a pick. I put Marcel Hossa in there, but realistically a 3rd round pick would be sufficient if they'd rather keep Hossa.

Comments? If you don't like a trade or don't think it's feasable, feel free to adjust things a bit.
1.) Not bad and the most likely of all three proposals.

2.) The start was good, till I read about the 1st rounder. If Hossa is a left winger, I can't see the Oilers making this deal, eventhough they are giving one up in the deal.
Back to the pick. I'm sure that if the Oilers would send a 2nd rounder towards Montréal the deal might have a good of going through. I love the idea of Garon heading to Edmonton.

3.) McKee is pretty valueable to the Sabres and I can't imagine that they going to let him go with out another Top Four D.man coming back.

Old
05-07-2004, 03:42 PM
leafaholix*

Tomas Kaberle for Jason Smith?

HELL NO.

Toronto gives up a lot of offense and 5 years.

Good defensive defensemen are easier to find then 40 point defensemen.

Old
05-07-2004, 03:56 PM
TVanek26*

Remember how highly that GM's regard McKee (Gretzky inviting him to camp with him almost making the team...) and when Pierre Lacroix wanted McKee,Regier wanted Joe Sakic and Alex Tanguay in return.I highly doubt that McKee will get dealt.

Old
05-07-2004, 04:03 PM
leafaholix*

Quote:
Remember how highly that GM's regard McKee (Gretzky inviting him to camp with him almost making the team...) and when Pierre Lacroix wanted McKee,Regier wanted Joe Sakic and Alex Tanguay in return.I highly doubt that McKee will get dealt.
He was invited to the Olympic camp 3 years ago... a lot of things change in that time period.

Old
05-07-2004, 04:30 PM
TVanek26*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafaholix
He was invited to the Olympic camp 3 years ago... a lot of things change in that time period.
Yeah......people got 3 years older. :lol

McKee was solid after the trade deadline because Buffalo acquired a defensive defenseman for him in Brad Brown.Brown could become the next Warrener in terms of McKee's play being great when he has another crease clearer on his pairing.

Old
05-07-2004, 04:37 PM
leafaholix*

Quote:
Yeah......people got 3 years older. :lol

McKee was solid after the trade deadline because Buffalo acquired a defensive defenseman for him in Brad Brown.Brown could become the next Warrener in terms of McKee's play being great when he has another crease clearer on his pairing.
Jay McKee's not a hot commodity anymore.

The reason he was invited was because he was a 24 year old defensive defenseman with no health issues coming off 3 solid seasons in which he had a combined +34 rating and putting up decent offensive numbers.

Since then he's missed something like 62 games over the last two seasons with injuries. No team's going to give up much for a 27 year old defensive defenseman with big time knee problems.

Old
05-07-2004, 04:38 PM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Quote:
Good defensive defensemen are easier to find then 40 point defensemen.
I would beg to differ. Teams are looking for defensive d-men, not offensive ones at this time. If anything, there's a surplus of good offensive D-men - just about every team has at least one - but teams need more than one good physical D-man and the're just not in the market right now.

Old
05-07-2004, 04:42 PM
TVanek26*

Quote:
No team's going to give up much for a 27 year old defensive defenseman with big time knee problems.

So why do you expect so much for Antropov?Antropov's knees are more brittle then Pavel Bure's.McKee is a top 4 d-man while Antropov is a 3rd liner.Antropov will not get much better.If you think Antropov is worth a high 1st and McKee isn't worth anything,isn't that skewed logic?i.e. One plays for Toronto and the other doesn't?

Old
05-07-2004, 05:00 PM
leafaholix*

Quote:
So why do you expect so much for Antropov?Antropov's knees are more brittle then Pavel Bure's.McKee is a top 4 d-man while Antropov is a 3rd liner.Antropov will not get much better.If you think Antropov is worth a high 1st and McKee isn't worth anything,isn't that skewed logic?i.e. One plays for Toronto and the other doesn't?
Nik Antropov's knees have not been a problem in over a year and a half... since he's put on 30 pounds of muscle. He's still quite young at 24 and has that untapped potential, which is clear if you watch him with on a regular basis. He has skills no 6'6 forward in the NHL has.

I don't expect a high first round pick for him, something in the range of 15-25... consider that the 2004 draft is pretty average after the obvious #1 & 2 picks.

You're looking to move McKee and a goon (Peters) for a big defenseman with top 4 potential (Semenov), the best enforcer in the game (Laracque), and a pretty decent AHL prospect (Rita).

That's an overpayment.

Old
05-07-2004, 05:03 PM
leafaholix*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame_Star_Devil
I would beg to differ. Teams are looking for defensive d-men, not offensive ones at this time. If anything, there's a surplus of good offensive D-men - just about every team has at least one - but teams need more than one good physical D-man and the're just not in the market right now.
Look at all the defensemen available this July 1st, how many of them are 40 point defensemen?

And now, how many are good defensive players that can put up 15-20 points?

Old
05-07-2004, 05:09 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomACE
1.) Not bad and the most likely of all three proposals.

2.) The start was good, till I read about the 1st rounder. If Hossa is a left winger, I can't see the Oilers making this deal, eventhough they are giving one up in the deal.
Back to the pick. I'm sure that if the Oilers would send a 2nd rounder towards Montréal the deal might have a good of going through. I love the idea of Garon heading to Edmonton.

3.) McKee is pretty valueable to the Sabres and I can't imagine that they going to let him go with out another Top Four D.man coming back.
What's up with your avatar!!!!!

Old
05-07-2004, 05:17 PM
Safir*

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAN-HAB
What's up with your avatar!!!!!

Old
05-07-2004, 05:26 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit
Garon is an interesting notion. I'd go for a different prospect in return than Marcel Hossa, he's crap. Perhaps Plekanec? The Habs can't have much use for him considering they already have smallish centers in Koivu and Ribeiro.
Talking about crap, that's how I'd define Brad Isbister right now. And Garon has more value for the Habs than Markkanen, so this ends up being a downgrade in net to get a low 1st pick. It isn't attractive enough. They don't need that pick badly with the depth they already have in the system. If anything, they might consider trading their pick away if the right offer came along.

I'd rather see the Habs hold on to Garon and try to see next year if he could become their #1. They would then be in a position to trade Theodore for a much better return.

As for Plekanec, I'm higher on him than I am on Ribeiro, so even if I know he didn't prove a thing yet in the NHL and therefore doesn't have great value, I would hold on to him and if he pans out, trade Ribeiro instead.

Old
05-07-2004, 05:31 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
Valile Miriuta 2 ?

Old
05-07-2004, 05:45 PM
Safir*

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAN-HAB
Valile Miriuta 2 ?
I hope that Youssef Mokhtari will become Vasile Miriuta II for Energie Cottbus.

Old
05-07-2004, 05:50 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
I hope that Youssef Mokhtari will become Vasile Miriuta II for Energie Cottbus.
GOT IT

Old
05-07-2004, 06:50 PM
Mizral

Leafaholix - Danielbriere48..

Can you two think of any similar deals that would make sense to both teams? For instance, if not Smith, what would the Leafs be interested in for Kaberle (just Kaberle, only Kaberle, that's all).

Same goes for McKee?

Closed Thread