HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lappy and Carter (May 22: probable for Game 4 at Montreal), Boucher, etc.

Old
04-21-2010, 04:39 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

vCash: 500
Such ****ing ********. Just when we're coming together, another season derailed by major injuries to top players. **** this team's curse.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 04:40 PM
bennysflyers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
I'm over the shock now, time to rally around the team. They don't really have time to think about this so hartnell needs to step up and jvr needs to be fast tracked. Boosh has been far better than we expected and our defense is excellent for the most part. Briere started to catch fire yesterday so I'm not giving up hope!
I think Roo/JVR will deliver for sure, but Harts HAS TO be leaned on now in a big way, and that scares the **** out of me.

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 04:41 PM
sectachrome

Is this really going to be that big of a deal? Carter hasnt been doing much lately anyway, I will admit Gags has been good but not outstanding. It sucks, but they can do it without them. If we get knocked out, you cant blame it on this. This team has been playing through this BS all season and weve made it this far. Trying to think positively!

sectachrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 04:44 PM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

Really hope they're not out too long...

Props to Nemesis for the signature and avatar.
SnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 04:46 PM
TheKingPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sectachrome View Post
Is this really going to be that big of a deal? Carter hasnt been doing much lately anyway, I will admit Gags has been good but not outstanding. It sucks, but they can do it without them. If we get knocked out, you cant blame it on this. This team has been playing through this BS all season and weve made it this far. Trying to think positively!
youre forgetting how important they are to our PK...

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 04:47 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB

briere catching fire would be good. that should happen pretty much right now, please.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 04:47 PM
Hollywood Couturier
#NoHonorForConnor

So instead of Jeff Carter and Simon Gagne we have Ville Leino and an AHL player. I'm very optimistic.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Hollywood Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 04:50 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
In fairness, Gagne and Carter have been pretty nonexistent throughout the first 4 games. I know having them on the ice alone is going to draw attention etc. but its not like Carter has 5 goals and Gagne has 6 and the rest of the team is playing like crap. It sucks, no doubt. But I am confident that they have the same chance now that they did with them. Still not all that great.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 04:55 PM
Synthetic

Send a message via AIM to Synthetic Send a message via MSN to Synthetic
I think the biggest problem is that one of our lines is going to get victimized defensively now (if not by NJ then definitely by the Caps), be it the one with the AHLers on it or on a line with two of Hartnell, Briere, Giroux, and JVR on it....which of course has to happen. Prongs better be out there every time the AHLers are, and hopefully that's like 4 minutes all game.

Gags and Carter might not have been doing much this series (well, up until Game 4 for Carter), but the drop off in forward defense from those two is going to be huge. Having Laliberte or Nodl in the lineup hurts us more than actually losing Gagne and Carter's production would. If we have a lot of PKs - and we will - Richards/Betts/Laperriere/Kimmo/Pronger are going to be gassed and we're going to have to give more minutes to the AHLers.

I hope we win Game 5 and I hope Gagne did whatever Carter did the first time he hurt his foot and comes back early.

Synthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 05:01 PM
RoDu

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
In fairness, Gagne and Carter have been pretty nonexistent throughout the first 4 games. I know having them on the ice alone is going to draw attention etc. but its not like Carter has 5 goals and Gagne has 6 and the rest of the team is playing like crap. It sucks, no doubt. But I am confident that they have the same chance now that they did with them. Still not all that great.
there is more to hockey then just putting the puck in the net

RoDu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 05:05 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

I want to throw up.

Just get as far as you can so Anaheim gets a worse pick.

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 05:06 PM
dawkins121

the fact that carter reinjured his broken foot 5 games after he was cleared to play just reeks of incompetence on the part of our medical staff.

over the years it seems like we always have players going down with major injuries and a lot of them are re-occuring ones. i feel like its time to stop blaming supernatural causes and our "bad luck" and turn our heads to the trainers that are supposed to be taking care of these guys.

dawkins121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Just when I was sucked in too.

God hates this team. Our best 2 playoff teams of this past decade (as far as roster/chemistry/coaching goes) are 2010 and 2004, both teams absolutely decimated by injury.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
FlyHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawkins121 View Post
the fact that carter reinjured his broken foot 5 games after he was cleared to play just reeks of incompetence on the part of our medical staff.

over the years it seems like we always have players going down with major injuries and a lot of them are re-occuring ones. i feel like its time to stop blaming supernatural causes and our "bad luck" and turn our heads to the trainers that are supposed to be taking care of these guys.
I believe that it's his other foot that's broken.

Old
04-21-2010, 05:08 PM
Wils98

Quote:

its the other foot.

Wils98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 05:10 PM
FlyerX

Gagne-3 weeks

Carter-on crutches 6 weeks

Per Homer teleconference reported on CSN.

FlyerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 05:16 PM
shamski7

Send a message via AIM to shamski7
This fing sucks

shamski7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 05:17 PM
Garbage Goal

Seems simple to me. Either put Giroux as the second line center or Briere as the second line center with Giroux on wing and go with two scoring lines. Replace Gagne with Leino. Put Kalinski somewhere in the bottom six since he's a very good grinder and hard worker (meaning he'll probably fit into the system well).

Done. =)

Garbage Goal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 05:19 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerX View Post
Gagne-3 weeks

Carter-on crutches 6 weeks

Per Homer teleconference reported on CSN.
Well, that's a lot more severe then I was lead to believe.

Poop in a ****ing basket. We have just had no injury luck whatsoever.

Also, no, it's not a ****ing excuse. It's a legitimate reason. Our goalies are revolving house of horrors in terms of injuries and now Carter is getting constantly injured during the end of the regular season and in the post-season.

Son of a ****ing *****.

Old
04-21-2010, 05:19 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Well, Gagne is a PK'er, a key component of Mike Richards line (that enables them to play with a guy that is hanging on rather than making **** happen). For example, the goal scored by Mike Richards off the Carcillo feed the other night? Simon Gagne is the one that jarred the puck loose.

Gagne's a big loss.

Not as big as Jeff Carter, though...as he's our only center with real size...and his presence forces the other team to pay attention to him defensively.

This is a HUGE blow. We may still win this series, but we're probably dead men walking minus both those guys.

Quote:

OK, in all seriousness....

1) It's the other foot, as people addressed.

2) He took a Chris Pronger slapshot DIRECTLY...is that the training staff's fault?

Some of the criticism of the training staff might be fair, but getting on them for broken bones is a bit much regardless of situation.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 05:21 PM
FlyHigh

I can't wait until we somehow play Pittsburgh and are matching up Briere against Malkin.

Old
04-21-2010, 05:22 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Cannon View Post
So instead of Jeff Carter and Simon Gagne we have Ville Leino and an AHL player. I'm very optimistic.
Switching Gagne for Leino is a loss definitely, but I think Leino can produce points personally.

Depends on what player gets called up when you say AHL player. Kalinski is probably an NHLer on any other team that doesn't have such a full roster and so much bottom six depth. The guy is a terrific fourth liner and a decent third liner.

This isn't as big a loss as some on here might lead me to believe, but it's still a pretty big loss. It shouldn't hurt our scoring all too much since we'll just have to roll with two scoring lines, but the size down the middle is hurt severely as well as the team's capabilities defensively.

Old
04-21-2010, 05:24 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
i believe this team's purpose is solely to shatter hope.

JVR has to be good now. or these here playoffs can get ugly. im not going to even say Hartnell should step up, because he wont.
Seems so.

Old
04-21-2010, 05:27 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Switching Gagne for Leino is a loss definitely, but I think Leino can produce points personally.

Depends on what player gets called up when you say AHL player. Kalinski is probably an NHLer on any other team that doesn't have such a full roster and so much bottom six depth. The guy is a terrific fourth liner and a decent third liner.

This isn't as big a loss as some on here might lead me to believe, but it's still a pretty big loss. It shouldn't hurt our scoring all too much since we'll just have to roll with two scoring lines, but the size down the middle is hurt severely as well as the team's capabilities defensively.
Eh, it'll hurt our scoring pretty significantly...if you figure Gagne was just snakebit in the series thus far (couple of posts, and Brodeur has had some nice saves on him), and Carter got warmed up a bit last night. Whoever you replace them with is a significant downgrade (I think Leino is a nice little offensive player and all...).

If you figure Richards/Carcillo have their quota, and Gagne didn't have his yet... law of averages doesn't like Gagne going down.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 05:29 PM
dawkins121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
OK, in all seriousness....

1) It's the other foot, as people addressed.

2) He took a Chris Pronger slapshot DIRECTLY...is that the training staff's fault?

Some of the criticism of the training staff might be fair, but getting on them for broken bones is a bit much regardless of situation.
ok, ok everyone take it easy i just assumed it was the foot that was already broken.

still though people block slap shots, even direct ones, and don't get hurt. if, and i said IF, it had been his already broken foot that got hit and this happened then i would absolutely hold the training staff partially accountable. is it entirely fair? no because as this incident obviously shows chris pronger can break even healthy feet with his shots, but i would definitely question their judgement. just explaining my mindset from ten minutes ago when i didn't know it was the other foot.

however, its obvious now with all these breaks (carter with TWO broken feet? gagne with a broken toe?!??!) that the training staff is not incorporating enough calcium into the players diets. i think full glasses of milk should be served to players on a regular basis, perhaps followed by a brief nap time.

dawkins121 is offline   Reply With Quote