HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Elliott does it again

Old
04-11-2010, 12:44 PM
The Mars Volchenkov

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Elliott does it again

There's something to be said about a goalie who works hard to improve his game every year. Elliott has had to battle his entire career to get where he is today, so it's not surprising that the guy works hard to improve his game. Look around the league and you don't often see young goalies who improve year after year, and sophomore slumps seem pretty common (See: Steve Mason). Look at Elliott's year to year improvement as a pro:

Year 1 in AHL: 44 games, .915 save percentage, 2.81 GAA, 2 shutouts, 18-19-1
Year 2 in AHL: 30 games, .926 save percentage, 2.31 GAA, 2 shutouts, 18-8-1

Year 1 in NHL: 31 games, .902 save percentage, 2.77 GAA, 1 shutout, 16-8-3
Year 2 in NHL: 55 games, .909 save percentage, 2.57 GAA, 5 shutouts, 29-18-4

This, to me, is incredibly encouraging. Yes, he's had some ups and downs and still needs work on his consistency, but steady improvement from year to year is what you want to see in a young player. Even in the NCAA, he consistently put up great numbers, even on a sub-par season his senior year. I know everyone looks at Lehner as the goalie of the future (Or as Panzeri says, he'll be starting for our team after next year), but our goalie for the next 10 years may already be on the team.

And since Jan. 18th, his numbers in 29 games is a .921 save percentage, 19-6-1, with 4 shutouts. Now I'm not saying he's going to be putting up these numbers consistently, but 29 games is almost too long for it to just be considered a hot streak. He's starting to figure out how play goalie in the NHL.

I'm excited to see how he does in the playoffs. I don't expect him to be lights out, but the guy has excelled in pressure filled situations before, so I think he can get the job done. It doesn't get any tougher than going up against the defending champs in your first playoff try though. Hopefully he can keep it up. It'll be a good learning experience for him either way.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 01:00 PM
The Fuhr*

I agree, I think he'll be lights out in the playoffs. It's fun watching a goalie develop into a number one right in front of us. He works so hard

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 01:07 PM
H2O

I'm really glad we have this guy. He's as important to the turnaround of this team as anyone including Clouston. Stable goaltending goes a long way in affecting how the overall team plays. Philadelphia is prime example of how a good team play without stable net presence right now.

H2O is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 01:08 PM
Minister of Offence

I agree as well. I must admit I never saw "it" in Brian Elliott as he made his way into the NHL but I also didnt pay as much attention as I do now. Its been said a couple times that people within the organization seems to think he has the right mental make up for a legitimate number 1 starter and beyond.

I see a fighter in Elliott, he appears to extremely focused and competitive in nets. Not only have his numbers improved but just watching him now as opposed to the start of the year you see confidence AND ability that he did not have at the start of the year.

It was only after his 3rd 1st star of the week award that I really started believing. I think he's legit and I think he's poised to improve even more. I agree we just may have our franchise goaltender already...I like him more with every winning streak he sends us on lol. Lets hope he brings that big game ability he many of us think he has. No playoff experience but even the stars of today had to start somewhere with question marks.

Minister of Offence is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 01:16 PM
RedWhiteBlackGold

vCash: 50
I was hard on him earlier in the season during the West coast trip where Elliott got thrown in due to Leclaire getting hurt. I envisioned him as average back up this year, with potential to become a starter in this league one day down the road.

Wasn't long after that his game started to come around and the confidence he developed showed in his game. Definitely surpassed my expectations. If he continues developing like he has, he will surely be our number 1 for years to come, and arguably the best drafted goalie our organization has had.

If Elliott continues on this path of development, and Lehner becomes anything close to what people are projecting.. we'll have a good situation in our hands.

RedWhiteBlackGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 01:44 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWhiteBlackGold View Post

If Elliott continues on this path of development, and Lehner becomes anything close to what people are projecting.. we'll have a good situation in our hands.
Or a bad one. lol. Looks they are both character goaltenders though so hopefully no conflict if they do start competing closely with eachother.

Old
04-11-2010, 01:59 PM
Sensfanman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Or a bad one. lol. Looks they are both character goaltenders though so hopefully no conflict if they do start competing closely with eachother.
Elliott's best attribute, to me, is his team commitment. He's no nonsense but he understands what it means to be a team player. One of the nicest guys who works very hard. With him, unless he changes, the last thing I'd expect is conflict.

A player who improves every year consistently is always encouraging. Lehner is far from a lock to reach his potential but I'm not going to complain about having two starters. Look at Boston, or Minnesota, or even Detroit, St. Louis, Florida, Nashville, etc in recent years.

Sensfanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 02:12 PM
OmniSens
@OmniSenators

vCash: 106
Send a message via Skype™ to OmniSens
Great season for Ellz. If he didn't have trouble with those bad goals in the beginning of the season, he would of been atleast at 35 W...Yeah, too bad he didn't get 30.

OmniSens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 02:21 PM
MatthewT

I supported Elliott all year when alot were throwing him under the bus in early December (West Coast trip). I don't expect him to go out and flat out beat the Penguins and win the series for us, but I think he will be pretty steady and calm and give us a chance.

MatthewT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 02:23 PM
porknbeans

I've been pro-Elliott since day 1. Its all about mental makeup.

Go Elliott!

porknbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 02:40 PM
Huston

If it wasn't for the fact that I mainly work afternoon shifts, I would say, I am looking forward to watching Elliot during the playoffs.

Huston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 02:45 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
Love Ells. Been pimping him to my family and friends since he was playing for the Badgers

WasTeD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 02:46 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by familyguyman View Post
Elliott's best attribute, to me, is his team commitment. He's no nonsense but he understands what it means to be a team player. One of the nicest guys who works very hard. With him, unless he changes, the last thing I'd expect is conflict.
Yep there's no way I personally can know what Elliott's like but from what I've seen it appears he is a winner as far as commitment and team play goes. The thing about Ells that gets me very optimistic is the fact that in two years while trying to break into the big club he's basically taken jobs from 3 NHL goaltenders in Gerber, Auld, and Leclaire. Perhaps not the biggest of names there but NHL goaltenders nonetheless, taking jobs is not easy, Elliott seems to do well under pressure.

He seems like a winner. Although it was an NCAA championship, except for cases were your playing well below your own ability, winning at ANY level is difficult and some people's mental makeups do seem to make some more prone to winning than others.

In Ells I believe..

Old
04-11-2010, 02:48 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by porknbeans View Post
I've been pro-Elliott since day 1. Its all about mental makeup.

Go Elliott!
Not calling you out or anything. But when did it become apparent to you that Elliott has that mental makeup? Is it well documented, or have you just heard mentions of it?

Old
04-11-2010, 03:07 PM
Laoghaire

Elliott was in net for 66% of our wins and 56% of our losses

Leclaire was in net for 27% of our wins and 44% of our losses.

I don't know what to extrapolate from this, but god damnit Leclaire.

Laoghaire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 03:08 PM
Sens16

Its good to see a player to improve on their game year in and year out. If Elliott develops into a goalie that can reach the 40 wins mark would be big for this franchise.

Sens16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 03:17 PM
porknbeans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Not calling you out or anything. But when did it become apparent to you that Elliott has that mental makeup? Is it well documented, or have you just heard mentions of it?
Just a gut feeling... which I usually get long time before players get "established" (Karlsson, Vermette, Volchenkov, never ragged on Spezza etc.)... guess its just a read on the player individually...

Thats why I was furious when Verm was traded last year. I was like "WTF? We friggin' have Elliott sitting right here, he's going to be great, and we lost a great secondary scorer for someone who Elliott will outplay anyway!"

Just logic to me. Same thing with Clouston. I was pissed when Murray hired Hartsburg (from what I remember anyway). I'm thinking: "Alright, so we've hired 2 lameduck NHL coaches back to back, what the hell kind of strategy is this?". Then when Murray finally hired Clouston, and after following the Bingo Sens a little and seeing Clouston behind the bench, his demeanor and strategy etc... I knew right away "This guy is a winner. FINALLY".

To me, its not about salary, years of experience or nationality or anything. Its just a read on the player / coach, their decision making, mental makeup (hard to quantify this) and their overall potential.

Usually I have a good read on a good asset (Karlsson, Volch years ago, Spezza, Elliott) and bad ones (Gerber, Leclaire, Kuba, Kovalev (he might have surprised in the playoffs).

We're pretty damn lucky that Ottawa can actually draft and develop players consistently. Looking at some of the longtime mediocre to poor franchises - they can't do it at all.

Old
04-11-2010, 03:17 PM
Northern Neighbour

The improved defensive play has helped Elliot's numbers. The Sens are doing a great job at minimizing the number of scoring chances allowed (last night's game notwithstanding). That being said, since John Stevenson was announced as the team's goaltending consultant, Elliot's positioning has been much improved. He's also doing a better job at controlling rebounds. My one concern is his glove hand, as it doesn't seem to be as quick as before. A lot of the goals he's given up have been high on the glove side.

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 03:20 PM
porknbeans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laoghaire View Post
Elliott was in net for 66% of our wins and 56% of our losses

Leclaire was in net for 27% of our wins and 44% of our losses.

I don't know what to extrapolate from this, but god damnit Leclaire.
does this include the games where either goalie was pulled?

Old
04-11-2010, 03:29 PM
Laoghaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by porknbeans View Post
does this include the games where either goalie was pulled?
It's based on the usual way, the starting goaltender is credited with the games final outcome.

Laoghaire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 03:31 PM
The Fuhr*

Has come a long way since "The most overrated Sens prospect since Kaigorodov"
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=551366

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 03:46 PM
The Mars Volchenkov

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fuhr View Post
Has come a long way since "The most overrated Sens prospect since Kaigorodov"
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=551366
That's quite the thread right there. Elliott has already made a career out of proving people wrong. Hopefully he continues that.

Even the Bingo fan in that thread didn't see his improvement coming. That was before he broke out and dominated the AHL for the first half last year. Sometimes hard work can get you pretty far.

Last edited by The Mars Volchenkov: 04-11-2010 at 03:52 PM.
The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 03:58 PM
Stassino

Mars, nice post...

A few of the things I really like about Brian are his ability to completely block out the media and not really care what "THEY" say... It in turn means confidence...
His bounce back.. He has one bad game.. KNOWS he had a bad game, doesn't blame any part of the result on anybody, even though defensive gaffes may have led to untimely goals... then he puts out a positive result the next game

Stassino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 04:05 PM
Vrain

Every year a young goalie with no playoff experience heats up and carries his team deep. I'm hoping Ells can prove himself this postseason like others have before.

Vrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 04:07 PM
Minister of Offence

If Ells saves his best for the playoffs were in for a treat. Only Alex Semin would worry me in that scenario.

I see a goaltender poised to prove everyone wrong, once again.