HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

WCQF Game #4 - Sharks 2, Avs 1 (OT)

Old
04-21-2010, 10:38 AM
landshark
Beat L. A.!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by one2gamble View Post
I just didnt think they gave him the assist but I havent checked the box
Clowe picked up the secondary assist.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/scores/boxscore/?id=12673

landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 10:55 AM
TealTownUSA

not sure if that ice maintenence helped us or not, but i was pretty pissed the avs got the rest after an icing call. i wanted to get em while they were tired. we were buzzin' in OT.

what a finish. pavs should be our 1st line center tomorrow, no doubt.

patty just should be a scratch or 4th liner.

TealTownUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 11:02 AM
ChompChomp
My avi is gospel

I think the Sharks need to focus on finding more ways to score on the PP against the Avs PK.

I think trying to devise ways to score on the Avs 5 on 5 might be futile (besides doing what they are doing now). After all, the Avs are playing 100% defensive. As Drew said, they have five guys collapsing to the front of the net. FIVE. That means that they are giving up even half way decent breakouts in exchange for not allowing the Sharks any good shots. Notice how at times the Sharks are cycling down low at will. Sometimes it looks like Ricci/S. Thornton/Sundstrom out there, from all four lines! Again, that's because the Avs will let you play around the boards all you want but refuse to let you get in front of the net because they'll keep all five guys there.

As I said on the main board, for Game 5 I expect the 5 Avs players plus Anderson to literally create a human wall to block every square inch of the goal the entire game, play no offense, and hope for another Sharks own goal to win 1-0 in OT. (but seriously, they are literally playing to not get scored on and hoping to get lucky and it's got them 2 wins in this series and it was very close to 3, even 4 wins already. They are too scared to go play a wide open game against the Sharks. They know they'll get killed.)

I give the Avs props for finding a strategy that can work against a more skilled team and the entire team buying into the concept, but it does make for extremely boring playoff games.

But yeah, that's why I think the PP is key. The PP is the time when the Avs can't just stack 5 guys in front of the net and keep all shots from the point or wide angles. Score a few PP goals and then the Avs will be forced to open up their game.

Last edited by ChompChomp: 04-21-2010 at 11:08 AM.
ChompChomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 11:38 AM
Sleepy

Sit Heater. The dude couldn't move out there... at all. If you insist on icing him, just give him PP time and nothing else. He really can't move.

Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 11:49 AM
Docter419

Send a message via AIM to Docter419
I went to the police station today and filed a missing persons report for Thornton, Marleau, and Heatley. So hopefully the police can find them before next game...

Docter419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 11:59 AM
WineShark
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docter419 View Post
I went to the police station today and filed a missing persons report for Thornton, Marleau, and Heatley. So hopefully the police can find them before next game...
You can find Thornton on the ice playing hard so no need to ask the police to find him. Jamie Baker noted that in his column the other day as has Drew. I've not heard anyone critical of his play since game one.

Marleau on the other hand was ripped by JR and criticized by Baker for his uninspired play. He was better in game 3 and 4, but isn't skating hard and creating open ice as has been well documented. He finished a couple hard checks in 3 and 4 which was nice to see.

You can find Heatley in the trainers room. He isn't ready to resume play and will need to be replaced in game 5 if he can't do better than that.

04-21-2010, 12:33 PM
Minicoop831

Tmac please call out patty, the guy needs a wake up call

Joe playing a good series but no one is there to support the guy, heatley's hurt and looks like a turtle sit him or give him so novicane or something he's hurting out there

Minicoop831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 01:16 PM
Wedontneedroads

vCash: 50
go-go gadget bungee cord!!!!

Wedontneedroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 01:29 PM
what

Marleau did not have the speed all game. I wonder if he's hurt but not hurt enough to be scratched, or perhaps he's bothered by the altitude, or maybe he has anxiety disorder?

(That last one is a )

09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 01:47 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 View Post
Marleau did not have the speed all game. I wonder if he's hurt but not hurt enough to be scratched, or perhaps he's bothered by the altitude, or maybe he has anxiety disorder?

(That last one is a )
I think the likely scenario is that he hurt with an injury that he can not further aggravate by playing. A deep bruise in a bad spot, a pulled muscle, who knows.

Marleau has one real advantage, speed. He has a decent shot, and decent instincts, but without his speed he is a 2nd liner. If he has a bruised ankle/foot/whatever that makes it painfull to skate hard, we'd see exactly whats happening. Look at Torrey Mitchell, without his speed, almost useless, now that he's getting it back, he's been back to form.

Hopefully it will improve enough soon to allow him to skate full speed again, and i suspect we'll see a return to form. That said, that doesn't bode terribly well for his grit factor. Hurt or not, standing around watching the puck bounce around you is not productive. At least Heatley was out there trying, and he clearly has a lot of pain.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 01:52 PM
19sharks19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChompChomp View Post
I think the Sharks need to focus on finding more ways to score on the PP against the Avs PK.

I think trying to devise ways to score on the Avs 5 on 5 might be futile (besides doing what they are doing now). After all, the Avs are playing 100% defensive. As Drew said, they have five guys collapsing to the front of the net. FIVE. That means that they are giving up even half way decent breakouts in exchange for not allowing the Sharks any good shots. Notice how at times the Sharks are cycling down low at will. Sometimes it looks like Ricci/S. Thornton/Sundstrom out there, from all four lines! Again, that's because the Avs will let you play around the boards all you want but refuse to let you get in front of the net because they'll keep all five guys there.

As I said on the main board, for Game 5 I expect the 5 Avs players plus Anderson to literally create a human wall to block every square inch of the goal the entire game, play no offense, and hope for another Sharks own goal to win 1-0 in OT. (but seriously, they are literally playing to not get scored on and hoping to get lucky and it's got them 2 wins in this series and it was very close to 3, even 4 wins already. They are too scared to go play a wide open game against the Sharks. They know they'll get killed.)

I give the Avs props for finding a strategy that can work against a more skilled team and the entire team buying into the concept, but it does make for extremely boring playoff games.

But yeah, that's why I think the PP is key. The PP is the time when the Avs can't just stack 5 guys in front of the net and keep all shots from the point or wide angles. Score a few PP goals and then the Avs will be forced to open up their game.
Awesome points CC. And for our players, it must be frustrating like crazy to try and penetrate this thus, we get stuck with so many outside shots and Anderson looks like the re-incarnation of Patrick Roy. Did you notice last night how many times even Clowe had the puck at the side of the net or just behind and, he had no options other than push out to the side boards?? So noticeable and, when Joe goes through the same he gets lambasted for not doing something when close to the net. It was all simply due to the D and forwards of the Av's nestling so close to Anderson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WineShark View Post
You can find Thornton on the ice playing hard so no need to ask the police to find him. Jamie Baker noted that in his column the other day as has Drew. I've not heard anyone critical of his play since game one.

Marleau on the other hand was ripped by JR and criticized by Baker for his uninspired play. He was better in game 3 and 4, but isn't skating hard and creating open ice as has been well documented. He finished a couple hard checks in 3 and 4 which was nice to see.

You can find Heatley in the trainers room. He isn't ready to resume play and will need to be replaced in game 5 if he can't do better than that.
You said it W.S. Even the Canadian coverage last night was showing highlights of the marking on Joe and, how even behind the plays he's been getting checked and bumped so tight, even after making passes but, he was still staying on his feet and trying to get in the play or hitting right back. They did about a 30-40 second highlight reel on a few examples. Joe has really showed up this time around and, Heater we have to feel for our scenario with him and hope he gets better as, he is awesome with Joe. Patty on the other hand, has been simply the killer of this line. Doing absolutely nothing and, not completing set ups or scoring chances at all, firing shots embarassingly wide (the CBC crew were ripping him for those few last night alone), using his much famous speed very very little. The move off from Joe and Heater is no less than necessary.

Last edited by 19sharks19: 04-21-2010 at 01:58 PM.
19sharks19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 02:20 PM
sharkbite3
Custom boozer title

Clowe-Pavelski-Setoguchi
Couture-Thornton-Malhotra
McGinn-Nichol-Ortmeyer
Marleau-Helminen-Mitchell

Wallin-Boyle
Blake-Vlasic
Murray-Huskins

Sit Heater. The guy is hurting too much, no matter how much effort he may give with what he's got. I think these line combos would be awesome.

sharkbite3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 02:26 PM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

Heater can score from anywhere. As long as he's not to much of a D liability and/or he can't recover sooner simply by resting the injury, there are still reasons not to sit him. The other team also knows he can score from anywhere and he will still get top respect on the ice.

Youth Movement! Tally Ho...
Led Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 02:27 PM
ngmcs8203

Patty is definitely hurt and people are still riding him as if he's 100%. His right hand/wrist is injured in some way and he doesn't have his normal wheels.

You can tell his hand/wrist is injured by the amount of time he messes with it (opening and closing, rotating, etc.). It's definitely aggravated somehow. Also, he's missing passes/shots that he buries 100% of the time when he's healthy. Those shots that are in tight and he normally takes top shelf are going low or chest high on Anderson. If he's not elevating his shots, something is wrong.

As far as his speed goes, well you could tell last night that he just didn't have it. 100% healthy he's the fastest guy on the team. He just isn't anymore. Something is wrong.

ngmcs8203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 02:31 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Leading the team in playoff scoring, Clowe is again proving he is a PO performer. Anyone still complaining about his contract?

Best of three now -- likely only a few more goals required to finish off COL. SJS Doesn't need a bushel of them from the Burger Line, but two would be just fine, one for each game required to win the series. In round two though, they'll have to find their collective scoring touch again, when the new competition will actually bother forechecking.

PS: a comment on DW's reaction to the OT winner last night. Quite cool and collected in contrast to the Stanley Cup like celebration after the game two winner -- just a quick handshake with the husky fellow to the right of him. Oh and TM was terrific again in his post game presser.

JawandaPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 02:32 PM
sharkbite3
Custom boozer title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
Heater can score from anywhere. As long as he's not to much of a D liability and/or he can't recover sooner simply by resting the injury, there are still reasons not to sit him. The other team also knows he can score from anywhere and he will still get top respect on the ice.
Well, if I were to insert Heatley somewhere...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkbite3 View Post
Clowe-Pavelski-Setoguchi
Couture-Thornton-Malhotra
McGinn-Nichol-Ortmeyer
Heatley-Mitchell-Marleau

Wallin-Boyle
Blake-Vlasic
Murray-Huskins
and take Helminen out.

sharkbite3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 02:33 PM
snaggle toof

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngmcs8203 View Post
Patty is definitely hurt and people are still riding him as if he's 100%. His right hand/wrist is injured in some way and he doesn't have his normal wheels.

You can tell his hand/wrist is injured by the amount of time he messes with it (opening and closing, rotating, etc.). It's definitely aggravated somehow. Also, he's missing passes/shots that he buries 100% of the time when he's healthy. Those shots that are in tight and he normally takes top shelf are going low or chest high on Anderson. If he's not elevating his shots, something is wrong.
I have noticed the constant flexing and bending of the wrist/fingers too, he's been doing it after just about every shift. That shouldn't stop him from doing the little things though, like screening a goalie or finishing a check.

snaggle toof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 02:46 PM
TealTownUSA

if marleau and heater are injured, maybe staubitz should play. at least he's 100%. just limit his time, make sure he's told not to take dumb penalties, and park in front of andy. easier said than done, wuteva

TealTownUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 03:43 PM
Kitten Mittons

I have to say - watching Clowe's celebrations is awesome. His excitement is through the roof. It's clear he gives a ****. BTW, why the hell did he start skating and celebrating in the opposite direction of Pavs?

Look at Marleau not caring again:
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/a2/fu...y-98181188.jpg

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 03:44 PM
SactoShark
🐨

vCash: 3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhye View Post
I have to say - watching Clowe's celebrations is awesome. His excitement is through the roof. It's clear he gives a ****. BTW, why the hell did he start skating and celebrating in the opposite direction of Pavs?

is Heatley waving to that woman in the Hejduk jersey?

SactoShark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 03:50 PM
Kevy D

Quote:

i could tell heater was in pain last night but by the expression on his face and marleau's, it looked like he was fine and marleau should sit out

Kevy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 04:10 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoShark View Post
is Heatley waving to that woman in the Hejduk jersey?
She's not as hostile as this lady:
http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/4905/sanjosefans.jpg

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 04:16 PM
TheBrokenRib

What we need is more Murray leading the rush plays. It must have struck the fear of god into whomever was in his way. If that play went the other way tho, yeesh...

TheBrokenRib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 04:18 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

i liked thorntons reaction after the goal was scored and every one was celebrating around pavs. there was a avs fan right by the crowd of players putting his thumbs down to the sharks players. thornton just punched the glass like 3 times.

Barrie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 04:22 PM
Markus
Registered Lurker

Quote:
That's not hostile. She's telling them how many goals they have. That's friendly and helpful.

Markus is offline   Reply With Quote