HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sweden/Canada finals today!!!

Closed Thread

Old
05-09-2004, 07:43 AM
prabak11

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to prabak11 Send a message via Yahoo to prabak11
Sweden/Canada finals today!!!

Preview

Matchup: Sweden vs. Canada, 20.15, Sazka Arena

Sweden: Let's face it--while the Americans have certainly overachieved in this tournament, they weren't the toughest semi-final opponent Tre Kronor could have faced. So from that standpoint, the 3-2 win Saturday night served as a gold medal game warmup for Peter Forsberg and Nicklas Lidstrom. The Swedes can't just sit back and wait for the two superstars they've airlifted in to win the game for them, though. Swedish hockey success, to a truly notable extent, is based on mutual reliance among teammates. Forsberg will likely be at his aggressive, darting best tonight; he's known for favoring the pass over the shot, as he did on a rush with Daniel Alfredsson against the Americans, but in big games (such as last year's quarter-final win against Sweden), he often decides to lug the puck and make the goal happen by himself. Lidstrom was already in fine form at both ends of the against the Americans, and his incredible hand-eye coordination was responsible for setting up P-J Axelsson's eventual winner. The gritty Alfredsson will bring intelligence and power play savvy, as will Axelsson and Michael Nylander. After that, as was evident in the final stages of the USA game, team defense will ultimately prove the key to victory. Andreas Salomonsson showed up with a good physical presence, and that'll be a must against the crashing and banging Canadians. If fatigue becomes a factor, Sweden may be at a disadvantage, since the Canadians have had four more hours of rest based on the semi-final schedule. Is there reason to believe that Henrik Lundqvist will be good enough in goal to beat out Roberto Luongo? Maybe. This is his first World Championship carrying the load in net, but how can you argue with seven goals against in eight games and a .945 save percentage? Lundqvist certainly seems like a more solid choice than Mikael Tellqvist was last year, coming in to relieve Tommy Salo, who had allowed five goals against Finland in the quarter-finals. But here's a caveat that may seem contradictory after all that's been said about defense: if the Swedes win today's final, it quite likely will be by a large score after getting a comfortable lead early. Since 1983, the Swedes have scored four or more goals in eight of the 12 games in which they have beaten Canada at the IIHF World Championships. Historically, the Canadians just have shown a steelier nerve when it comes to the tight games. A Swedish win would be the first for Head Coach Hardy Nilsson, and Sweden's first since Switzerland 1998.

Canada: Head Coach Mike Babcock said that today's gold medal game will come down to will, rather than skill. That's in keeping with Babcock's philosophy behind the bench with the Anaheim Mighty Ducks. Obviously he's been able to motivate his team to play the tight defensive game he favors. You can argue about whether or not Shawn Horcoff's winning goal against Slovakia should have counted in light of goaltender interference, but the fact remains that Canada shut down the Slovaks the rest of the way, both at even strength and while killing penalties. And when you get past Forsberg and Alfredsson, Slovakia has more notable offensive forwards compared to Sweden. Team Canada has been building toward this game throughout the tournament, with the 6-2 loss to the Czechs being the one major stumble. They won in a run-and-gun affair with the Finns in the quarter-finals, and then they clamped down for the semi-finals. They've only allowed two power play goals all tournament, and they have capitalized 10 times in 46 man advantage attempts, compared to a paltry 7-for-48 for Sweden. Also, Canada has more recent gold medal-winning experience on its squad than Sweden, when you take into account both the 2002 Olympics and 2003 IIHF World Championship. Top to bottom, it's just a solid roster, from gunners like Dany Heatley and Brendan Morrison to penalty killers like Rob Niedermayer and Matt Cooke. If Roberto Luongo doesn't melt down (as, say, Jose Theodore did in the 2000 tournament with bad goals allowed in both the semi-finals and bronze medal game), then you could argue that Canada will probably find a way to win , Forsberg and Lidstrom notwithstanding. If Canada triumphs, this will marks its first two consecutive gold medals since 1958 and 1959.

GO CANADA GO!!! lets win for the second straight year!!!!!!!!!!!

Old
05-09-2004, 07:54 AM
Bud The Spud*

Send a message via MSN to Bud The Spud*
Go Canada Go!

Old
05-09-2004, 02:36 PM
prabak11

2-1 for sweden in the second...

goals
alfederson from forsburg
hoglund from transtrom
smyth

notable things...

R.neidermyer nailed forsburg in the head with a vicious elbow to the head
also the other neidermyer elbowed someone but it was not that serious

Old
05-09-2004, 02:43 PM
prabak11

nooooooooooooooooooooooo

salmonson scores for sweden from hoglund!!! and that was seconds after briere hit the post and it was a 2 on 1 and hoglund made a good pass to salmonson for the goal!!!

crap

Old
05-09-2004, 02:51 PM
CH Wizard

Send a message via MSN to CH Wizard
Heatley Ssssssscoooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeee !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old
05-09-2004, 02:53 PM
CH Wizard

Matt Cooke Scooooooooorrrrrreeeeeeee !!!!!!!!!!! 3-3 Nice !

Last edited by CH Wizard: 05-09-2004 at 02:58 PM.
Old
05-09-2004, 03:05 PM
prabak11

nylander with the japanesse impression

Old
05-09-2004, 03:11 PM
CH Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabby
nylander with the japanesse impression
:lol oh my GOD !! he put puck in his own goal in the final if Canada wins I think he wil make nightmares for 1 year

Old
05-09-2004, 03:16 PM
CH Wizard

Bouwmeester scooore !!! 4-3

Old
05-09-2004, 03:30 PM
CH Wizard

Matt Cooke score !! 5-3

Old
05-09-2004, 03:49 PM
CH Wizard

Canada Won The Gold Medal !!

Congrats to the team Canada

Old
05-09-2004, 03:52 PM
CH Wizard

It's over Canada won the Gold Medal !!

Old
05-09-2004, 04:17 PM
Raider917

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreatone
It's over Canada won the Gold Medal !!
23rd time in international play. 1 more than the ussr/russia now.

Old
05-09-2004, 04:38 PM
chicpea*

It was a great game indeed. Heatley and Cooke were awesome (with a little help from Nylander...). In other news, Glen Murray still can't score.

Old
05-09-2004, 04:41 PM
E = CH²

Heater named player of the tournament, Luongo player of the game !

Old
05-09-2004, 04:43 PM
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicpea
In other news, Glen Murray still can't score.
He played for Team Canada ??

Seriously I don't want Gainey to make an offer for him. He's going to be priceless for what he offers.

Old
05-09-2004, 05:02 PM
NWT Habs Fan

Great game for Canada to come back from 2-0 and 3-1 deficits. Maybe not the fastest team out of the gates (they didn't score the first goal once in the tourney), but they dug deep and scored when needed. Congrats to the boys who "won it for the kids".

Old
05-10-2004, 06:27 AM
mcphee

some stuff I noticed at the worlds.
Isn't it a pleasure to watch a D-man with the skating ability of a Niedermayer or a Bouwmeester ? Wouldn't Rob Niedermayer be exactly what the Habs need as their checking center ? When you just read stats and don't watch the games you'll never realize how good Horcoff is. So Bruin fans, do ya figger Murray can be considered a streaky goal scorer ? This Bergeron kid does something smart just about every shift. whatever happened to Friesen ? Maybe my expectations were wrong but I thought he'd become more than he appears to be now. See Rob Niedermayer I guess. Is Briere thru puberty yet ? He lokks about 12. Is there a better scorer in close than Heatley ? I hope and suspect that Heatley would send his medal to the Snyder family. Without the grace and character they showed, the chances are that Heatley's life could be a little different right now.

Lastly,if Brendan Morrow and Matt Cooke want to play for my team, I'd always make room.

Old
05-10-2004, 08:44 AM
Legolas

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
some stuff I noticed at the worlds.
Isn't it a pleasure to watch a D-man with the skating ability of a Niedermayer or a Bouwmeester ? Wouldn't Rob Niedermayer be exactly what the Habs need as their checking center ? When you just read stats and don't watch the games you'll never realize how good Horcoff is. So Bruin fans, do ya figger Murray can be considered a streaky goal scorer ? This Bergeron kid does something smart just about every shift. whatever happened to Friesen ? Maybe my expectations were wrong but I thought he'd become more than he appears to be now. See Rob Niedermayer I guess. Is Briere thru puberty yet ? He lokks about 12. Is there a better scorer in close than Heatley ? I hope and suspect that Heatley would send his medal to the Snyder family. Without the grace and character they showed, the chances are that Heatley's life could be a little different right now.

Lastly,if Brendan Morrow and Matt Cooke want to play for my team, I'd always make room.
Further observations:

Jay Bouwmeester...wow...anyone remember when he made the WJC team as the youngest player along with Jason Spezza? Look at the track of their careers now...seems like Bouwmeester has quietly put together a very promising career...not to knock Spezza or anything, playing in Florida is different (no disrespect to the Bolts fans). I'd love to see him crack the World Cup team...would do wonders for him just like Brewer at the Olympics.

Rob Niedermayer...I like him but he seems to float a little too much still and that hit on Forsberg was garbage...I don't think he intended to hurt him but nailing someone with their back to the play like that right between the numbers is not good...he redeemed himself later on, but that hit didn't help the cause at all and was really needless...sure you want to body Forsberg when he has the puck, but that was really unnecessary.

Glen Murray....sheesh, he missed an empty net! Wouldn't mind having him still, but not at the price he probably will be asking...he never seemed to get into it this tournament, I wonder if it was his linemates or something...

Heatley...what else is there to say. I do wish he had mentioned the Snider family in his closing remarks though...he needs to make a somber statement and not necessarily be all giddy like he's about to down a case of beer or something...great player though...I hope he does do the right thing and acknowledge the Snider family in some way.

Great win by Canada! I gotta say I had serious doubts at 2-0 and 3-1...Luongo looked a bit shaky, but great comeback...you can tell that the big ice helps...even with Sweden playing a trapping style, there was always room to skate and cycle the puck.

Old
05-10-2004, 10:11 AM
montreal25m

Proud to be Canadian

It is amazing to hear the national anthem at the end. Brings tears to my eyes. Anyway, If i were to choose a defenseman to build my team around, Scott would be probably first on my list. This guy does it all, he is solid defensively, skates like the wind, has so much character and will. Forward, well Heatly. Just looks and plays like a prototypical Canadian player. When Ryan Smyth grabbed the trophy, the first person he gave it to was Scott. Just amazing game and incredible to be Canadian.

Old
05-10-2004, 10:25 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legolas
Further observations:
Rob Niedermayer...I like him but he seems to float a little too much still and that hit on Forsberg was garbage...I don't think he intended to hurt him but nailing someone with their back to the play like that right between the numbers is not good...he redeemed himself later on, but that hit didn't help the cause at all and was really needless...sure you want to body Forsberg when he has the puck, but that was really unnecessary.
In Niedermayer's defense, I would have to say that Forsberg is quite adept at making sure his back gets turned to any oncoming checkers. He routinely sets himself up for those hits, intentionally trying to draw penalties. Players today have less respect for their opponents, but at the same time, many players have less respect for themselves too. Forsberg is pretty smooth at it, so without seeing some replays of that hit, I wouldn't venture to say for sure, but I don't think Niedermayer is known to be a guy who generally goes all-out for dirty hits, so I can easily imagine that Forsberg 'suckered him into it'.

Quote:
Heatley...what else is there to say. I do wish he had mentioned the Snider family in his closing remarks though...he needs to make a somber statement and not necessarily be all giddy like he's about to down a case of beer or something...great player though...I hope he does do the right thing and acknowledge the Snider family in some way.
At some point, I think Heatley should be allowed to let those ghosts go and not be expected to dedicate everything he does to the Snyder family. At least, not publicly. So no complaints there.

Quote:
Great win by Canada! I gotta say I had serious doubts at 2-0 and 3-1...Luongo looked a bit shaky, but great comeback...you can tell that the big ice helps...even with Sweden playing a trapping style, there was always room to skate and cycle the puck.
I would still love to see the big ice in the NHL (and with NHL officiating allowing physical contact). And to me, the game showed a couple good arguments again for allowing 2-line passes. With the extra skating room, you *can* spring some breakaways, and even if one team does stick with trapping more, there is plenty of room to beat it.

Old
05-10-2004, 12:06 PM
mcphee

Good point on the 2 line passes. I watched the SJ/Calgary game right after and while I thought it was an entertaining game, it seemed confing with the absence of the long passes that you get used to pretty quickly.

Your mention of players having less respect for themselves is a good one. I don't know if keeping the back turned on the boards is a European soccer move, where they're used to shielding the ball, but you see a lot of late turns or half turns.

Closed Thread