HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Getting Started playing hockey

Old
04-21-2010, 09:52 PM
BrotherlyLove

vCash: 500
OT: Getting Started playing hockey

I really want to play hockey, especially as a goalie, but I am relatively old to join a new sport while having no real experience playing (junior in high school, 17).

I'm looking to try a camp in the summer in the New Jersey/Philly area.
Is that a good strategy or should I do something else?

BrotherlyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 10:02 PM
Centauris*

I'm 21.. and I'm just now trying to learn how to skate.. and I blow hard.

I got skates last week.. can't wait to try them.

Centauris* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 10:04 PM
ForsbergIsOdin

Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
You should probably do roller hockey first... Its easier to play pick up games and to just **** around on a net. Ice Hockey is harder, since Rink times are always expensive, and its usually expensive to get into an ice league.

If you wanna play goalie, good luck trying to find some used goalie gear, cuz otherwise you'll burn a massive hole in your pocket getting all geared out. But since summer is rollin up, Id say go get some skates (roller) and a stick, and your basically already playing.

ForsbergIsOdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 10:06 PM
Scoopyten

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherlyLove View Post
I really want to play hockey, especially as a goalie, but I am relatively old to join a new sport while having no real experience playing (junior in high school, 17).

Are you looking to play ice hockey? Playing goal is a pretty big financial investment, even if you go the second hand gear route.

Dec or Ball and roller Hockey leagues are all over, and there's always a demand for targets. That would be a cheaper way to break in and see if you actually like playing goal. You can also do a little looking around and see if there's regular pick-up games, either roller, ice or foot, around where you live.

Either way, best of luck.

Scoopyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 10:12 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Yeah I'm getting back into roller, haven't played for years though, still getting used to skating and etc.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 11:21 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Weather is getting nicer I'm going to break out the skates. Start playing again. I need to get back into shape.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 11:32 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post
Weather is getting nicer I'm going to break out the skates. Start playing again. I need to get back into shape.
I think I remeber you saying you went to Township Highschool?

Have you played at the Washington Township Park? Have an outdoor roller hockey rink. I go with a few friends sometimes to play pickup games.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 11:47 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
I think I remeber you saying you went to Township Highschool?

Have you played at the Washington Township Park? Have an outdoor roller hockey rink. I go with a few friends sometimes to play pickup games.
I have played there. It's okay. How many guys do you play with?

Do you live by Twp?

Old
04-21-2010, 11:50 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post
I have played there. It's okay. How many guys do you play with?

Do you live by Twp?
Live in township Right by the baseball fields (if you know where that is.)

Depends on the day. Sometimes its just 3v3 but can get up to near a full team. No one likes to play goalie though, so we just play posts/crossbars

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 11:54 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

I'm definitely heading into enemy territory here but I saw your post and check out http://www.hockeymonkey.com/

they sometimes have great deals especially in the off months.

I'm 29 and still haven't learned to play ice. It pisses me off pretty much every day because I love the sport and have played floor and roller.

One day........

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 12:02 AM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Live in township Right by the baseball fields (if you know where that is.)

Depends on the day. Sometimes its just 3v3 but can get up to near a full team. No one likes to play goalie though, so we just play posts/crossbars
By the Complex? If yes, I know that area well. Played baseball in my child years there.

Did you go to the High School?

Old
04-22-2010, 09:26 AM
rayearth

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherlyLove View Post

Ha, I never laced up until I was about 26. I took an Adult Instructional Hockey class at Power Play in Exton, played pick-up for a while there and Ice Line, and played a season in a C league. I actually haven't played in probably a couple years now and would like to get back into it. I don't really recommend playing roller as I found it more difficult than ice and will screw with your skating. Yeah, goalie equipment isn't cheap but you do get to play for free a lot.

rayearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 09:28 AM
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies

congrats!

but i wouldnt suggest being a goalie

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 09:58 AM
Yukon Cornelius
LoosenUpSandyBaby!

Sports: Only place where 17 is long in the tooth.

I'm going to preface all of this with the following advice, before you take me up on any of my suggestions, try this simple test first: Wearing a Mask (Goalie, Catcher otherwise) and a protective cup, have 2 friends take shots at you with a Tennis ball as hard as they can. As simple as this sounds, you need to find out if you'd be afraid of the puck. I know this sounds silly but you'd be surprised how often this happens. I've seen countless parents shell out thousands of dollars only to find out little Billy is inherently afraid of being hit with the Puck. Keep in mind, even if your friend is Zdeno Chara, a slapper with a tennis ball without equipment is still easier on the body than a slapper with a puck and full gear on. Its not a perfect test but its simple, cheap and could save you endless time and money.

Once the welts and bruises die down and If you're still really passionate and committed about playing goaltender, I would make every attempt to contact any local minor Hockey organization in your area, the Ed Snider Youth Hockey Foundation or the Flyers Pr Department themselves. You'd be very surprised how accessible these organizations actually are when you approach them with genuine enthusiasm and sincerity. Any of those groups should be able to direct you to an age and skill level appropriate league/coaching clinic/Goalie school in your area and maybe, if you're articulate, passionate and persistent enough, assist you in finding old goalie equipment.

As of right now, you need to learn to skate. Goalies are usually the best skaters on the team. Inline skates, for now, are the way to go. I would also strongly recommend taking up Yoga. Getting your hands on an off season work out regime is key. Just remember to check your pride at the door, you're starting at the novice level. There is no shortage of excellent Goalie handbooks out there now. Is the library system online in your area? Amazon? or local bookstore? The Grant Fuhr book was a Holy Bible for myself back in the day and I can only imagine how much better tutorial books and DVDs have become now.

1.Do the Test.
2. Buy some Inline Skates
3. Get an Instructional Goalie Handbook
4. Look at yourself in the mirror, be honest and ask the question why
5. Contact any of those organizations

Best of luck to you...

Yukon Cornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 10:29 AM
IrishSniper87

I need to learn how to skate. but I'm fat and tall, so it hurts when I fall.

However, wearing kneepads looks ***.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 10:39 AM
Jester

As people have noted, goalie is expensive as **** to play. On the upside, people are always looking for goalies...however, if you suck, they will continue to look for goalies. (And you will most definitely suck when you first start playing.)

So, I would suggest thinking about playing out to begin with and see what you think...I would also suggest going the roller route, as people have suggested, as it is significantly cheaper. There are also plenty of places to play open hockey in the area to get your feet wet. Prior to playing open, though, I would get your rollerblades, get OUTDOOR wheels (this is important, as skating outside will ruin indoor wheels), and tool around until you get somewhat comfortable standing up. If you've never played before, and haven't been doing figure skating or something, you're going to absolutely blow at skating when you get into actually playing with people...that's just the way it is.

It's fun...and as you get older a nice thing to do once a week in men's leagues...but hockey has a steep learning curve.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 10:45 AM
FlyHigh

Yeah, on the wheels you'll want to get at least 82A, I'd also take the brakes off your skates ASAP, throw yourself in the deep end. One of the problems I've had in the past when I was learning to skate is that the skate with the brake tends to be heavier, so you rely on putting more of your weight on it and etc.

Also makes it harder to crossover on turns.

Old
04-22-2010, 10:54 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Yeah, on the wheels you'll want to get at least 82A, I'd also take the brakes off your skates ASAP, throw yourself in the deep end. One of the problems I've had in the past when I was learning to skate is that the skate with the brake tends to be heavier, so you rely on putting more of your weight on it and etc.

How do you stop without brakes?

Old
04-22-2010, 11:02 AM
Jester

Quote:

Erm...I would suggest getting hockey roller skates, which do not come with breaks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
Hockey stop.

Difficult to do outside, but quite doable when you're playing on the roller surface.

Old
04-22-2010, 11:02 AM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
Just hockey stop assuming that wherever you're skating is smooth enough, and unless you're trying to skate on gravel or something, it probably is.

You could also do a T-stop I guess, but that's not very effective and it kills your wheels.

I'm a pretty bad skater, I can't really backskate and I have terrible balance (imagine Hartnell), but stopping isn't too difficult once you practice it enough times.

Old
04-22-2010, 11:10 AM
kungpao

Send a message via MSN to kungpao
Sniper, I'm with you... except short (5'-10"). I'm almost dreading the day my little boy asks me to teach him how to skate and we take lessons together LOL

kungpao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 11:14 AM
ForsbergIsOdin

Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
Irish, to be able to skate well, you have to actually try it, instead of thinking about trying it for 5 years.

ForsbergIsOdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 11:18 AM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Erm...I would suggest getting hockey roller skates, which do not come with breaks...
I just use the recreational ones and then buy my own wheels so you can emulate a hockey skate's maneuverability.

I know they're not technically hockey skates, but they aren't as expensive and I like to just skate around too, heading up to Peace Valley and skating around the lake a few times is a nice way to spend an afternoon if you have nothing else to do. Just swap the wheels and you're good to go.

Old
04-22-2010, 11:52 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsbergIsOdin View Post
Irish, to be able to skate well, you have to actually try it, instead of thinking about trying it for 5 years.
I went ice skating last summer, twice.

My knees, elbows and ass were not happy with me. Bruises everywhere. I have terrible balance I guess. I have trouble walking sometimes, lol.

Old
04-22-2010, 12:02 PM
Jester

Quote:
I just use the recreational ones and then buy my own wheels so you can emulate a hockey skate's maneuverability.

I know they're not technically hockey skates, but they aren't as expensive and I like to just skate around too, heading up to Peace Valley and skating around the lake a few times is a nice way to spend an afternoon if you have nothing else to do. Just swap the wheels and you're good to go.
...see, I'd be terrified of getting my foot ****ed up by a slapshot given that they don't have the shell that hockey skates have.

You can swap wheels on hockey skates and be fine for outdoor skating if you want.