HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Sam Rosen

Old
04-21-2010, 11:34 PM
chip chipperson*

vCash: 500
sam rosen 10 years ago was the best. now its emerick. all of this season and last season sam has been horrible with his calls to the point where it becomes embarrasing. i think the game is becoming to fast for him. all that being said, he has been outstanding so far in the playoffs.

edit: the dude for the panthers is the best. hire that guy

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 11:37 PM
BOXPLAY

Send a message via AIM to BOXPLAY
i dont hate doc because he is the devils announcer i hate him cuz he

constantly sounds nasally and the way he describes things, and for

the love of god does everything come back to brodeur. In the

Olympics i believe it was a swiss vs norway game and he made

several comments relating the goalies to brodeur

BOXPLAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 12:11 AM
Draft Guru
The Wizard of Özil

I've loved listening to Sam Rosen. Billy Jaffe....not so much. If Sam Rosen keeps calling games throughout the playoffs, I hope he gets paired with a better color commentator for the next round.

Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 12:48 AM
morffin

want to get **** faced fast.... play the Doc Emrick .....Ricochet game.... do a shot every time he uses that word....youll be drunk off your ass before the end of the first period.

Sam sounded great tonight...good to hear his voice again.

morffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 02:09 AM
Back From Cally

I gotta admit, Sam's starting to lose an edge. I think his eye-sight is going because I remember numerous times where he would say that the puck was stopped by Lundqvist or another goalie, while in reality it went wide or deflected off of someone in front. Sam's one of my all-time favorite BPB announcers in any sport but I think hes going to need to retire soon.

And as far as Doc goes, I honestly do think hes one of the best hockey announcers, but sometimes he just gets too excited over routine plays and hes WAY too metaphorical. It'd be nice to hear the words "save" and "shot" once in a while out of him.

Back From Cally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 05:59 AM
NorthlandPro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
I like Doc better, but Rosen does a good job, and he's pretty much linked with most memories I have with the rangers, outside of game 3 v Buffalo and the Malik shootout goal.
How can you compare the two? Rosen knows the players and correctly identifies them in a play. Doc calls out the first name thatcomes to his mind, forget that the player that he's taking about is lefthanded and the name he said was a righthanded player. He does it all the time. That and his phony, forced excitement. He is horrible.

NorthlandPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 06:27 AM
alkurtz

Sam remains one of the top hockey play-by-play men around. When I have the chance to listen to other announcers during local broadcasts (including announcers in Canada) I'm always amazed how much better he is than they are.

I have tremendous admiration for Doc Emerick. When I hear him, I hear echoes of the great Canadian announcers of the past (Foster Hewitt in Toronto and Danny Gallivan in Montreal), whose broadcasts I was occasionally able to pick up on the radio when I was a kid in the 1960s and there wasn't any other hockey available.

However, Doc is much better doing major events, he was superb during the Olympics, than he is doing game-to-game local broadcasts.

Of course Sam misses JD. I miss the good-natured humor between the two. Among his other faults, JM is devoid of humor.

As far as I'm concerned, Sam can stay around as long as he wants. During the summer months I find myself craving his voice.

alkurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 06:37 AM
mhurley

True Story.

About six years ago we are at the Buffalo Hyatt the afternoon before a game. We are sitting in the lobby bar and Sam comes down and is hanging with the fans. He tells us that the team is leaving around 4p for HSBC arena. They are heading straight to Ottawa after the game. If anyone wants autographs go to the side entrance of the hotel where the bus is picking the team up.

I've spoken to him several times. He has always been kind and engaging to the fans. Sam is a gentleman and a real mensh.

mhurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 07:16 AM
The Mouth

Nice guy, horrible hockey announcer at this point. Will NEVER win the Foster Hewitt award.

Reasons :

1) Football comes first

2) Peaked during J.D era

3) Horrible description of action. He almost always tells the viewer who scored after the player scored not before the shot.

Example : Sam editorializing "Tampa has been struggling Joe"... " and they score ! Steven Stamkos! (Followed by annoying ranger organ)

4) absolutely no balls. he is a schill towing the corporate Dolan line. will praise and overstate the other teams play in order not to criticize the Rangers lack of effort, heart or shortcomings

Example : "The Oilers really work hard, they have come to play. Edmonton loves what they see in Andrew Cogliano and Pat Quinn has done a great Job despite being bit by the flu bug. they have earned this 5-1 lead."

(meanwhile in reality The Rangers have no buisness losing to a crappy team like Edmonton at home, the onus is on them)

The guy is so predictable I could right a script for him before the game.

I grew up listening to Dan Kelly, Gene Hart, Pat Foley and even the hated Jiggs Mcdonald these guys announced a hockey game.

Their voices ebbed and flowed along with the action and they enhanced the game. They added pin point description and drama to the play.

Sam Rosen at this point for me is a nuisance. predictable, ill-prepared automaton. In the information age where everything is at your fingertips.

I will say this about Toucan Sam he seems more passionate about football which he does a pretty good job at.

But for Hockey the guys a horror show.

The Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 07:27 AM
alkurtz

Well, I'll say it again: Sam is the best.

When I tune in a game on Versus during the playoffs and hear that he is doing the game, i get a smile on my face and know that I'm going to get a first class call of the game.

alkurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 08:17 AM
allstar3970

Sam will always be my favorite for sentimental reasons, but Emrick is the best in the business right now. His work during the Olympics especially was fantastic.

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 08:19 AM
allstar3970

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mouth View Post
Nice guy, horrible hockey announcer at this point. Will NEVER win the Foster Hewitt award.

Reasons :

1) Football comes first

2) Peaked during J.D era

3) Horrible description of action. He almost always tells the viewer who scored after the player scored not before the shot.

Example : Sam editorializing "Tampa has been struggling Joe"... " and they score ! Steven Stamkos! (Followed by annoying ranger organ)

4) absolutely no balls. he is a schill towing the corporate Dolan line. will praise and overstate the other teams play in order not to criticize the Rangers lack of effort, heart or shortcomings

Example : "The Oilers really work hard, they have come to play. Edmonton loves what they see in Andrew Cogliano and Pat Quinn has done a great Job despite being bit by the flu bug. they have earned this 5-1 lead."

(meanwhile in reality The Rangers have no buisness losing to a crappy team like Edmonton at home, the onus is on them)

The guy is so predictable I could right a script for him before the game.

I grew up listening to Dan Kelly, Gene Hart, Pat Foley and even the hated Jiggs Mcdonald these guys announced a hockey game.

Their voices ebbed and flowed along with the action and they enhanced the game. They added pin point description and drama to the play.

Sam Rosen at this point for me is a nuisance. predictable, ill-prepared automaton. In the information age where everything is at your fingertips.

I will say this about Toucan Sam he seems more passionate about football which he does a pretty good job at.

But for Hockey the guys a horror show.
It may be that or start bashing the team and lose his job. We all know the type of iron-curtain like regime Dolan is running over there...

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 08:21 AM
pwoz

IMO, Doc's voice is annoying, high-pitched, and nauseating. Great hockey knowledge though.

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 08:32 AM
Scooter17

My favorite play-by-play guy outside the NYR is/was Gary Thorn. They gotta get him involved with hockey again.

Scooter17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 08:36 AM
GothamRanger

Send a message via AIM to GothamRanger
Everyone of my fair weather fans like's Doc a lot. They associate him with hockey and say he can carry the sport. They say he's one of the better announcers in all of sport if you compared the top from each major league.

Sam is great also, I think he lost a bit of an edge over the years and was very rusty coming out of the lockout. But, I dunno if he has been rehabilitating because he was a lot better recently than in past.

You guys realize Sam and Doc can both be good, right? It's not mutually exclusive.

GothamRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 08:39 AM
Garv23

Sam is great. I think he's doing an awesome job with the playoffs. I've met him a few times because my landscape biz is mostly in his town and he's just a fantastic dude. Always has time to chat up some hockey.

As far as Doc goes, I think he's great too. Definitely one of if not the best in the game. What I have a hard time with, is his voice. Sounds stupid, but that high pitch actually gets under my skin. Especially when he's excited.

Garv23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 08:42 AM
drewcon40

When I first started watching the Rangers I listened to Jim Gordon and Bill Chadwick and remember Sam when he started. He started with Esposito (Does anyone remember Mike Eurizione as the "Bruce Beck/Al Trautwig/John Giannone" role?).

Anyway, Sam will be missed. He has certainly passed his prime and I agree that maybe he holds back because of the MSG Kremlin. I think he loves this team with his heart. He is on with Steve Sommers sometimes and it sounds to me that he cares deeply for the Rangers. One great Sam memory was he, Trautwig, and JD were sitting in the studio following the Stanley Cup win. The three of them were just going over the emotions of the season and Sam admitted how important calling the final seconds were. I laughed when he said, "I practiced calling the final seconds the shower".

Or at the parade when he left his briefcase in the studio and he and Al were having a great time with that.

There is such a fond memory of him and JD. I don't know about you guys, whenever the Rangers trade or sign for somebody, the first two things I wonder is

a. What uniform number that player will wear
b. Hearing Sam call that players name, followed by "It's a Powerplay Goal!"

Like I can just hear it now.... He shoots, he scores. Mats Zuccarello Aasen, it's a Powerplay Goal!"

Anyway, if he does retire. What would you guys think about Howie Rose? I know he was a Ranger fan. Has he been converted due to his Islander work?

drewcon40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 08:51 AM
bubba5

Not sure when he retires but when he decides to it would be great if JD came back to do one last game with him as a sendoff. ESPO too!

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 08:56 AM
Poozer

I love Sam.

If I ever have to listen to that Philly announcer again... who says people score for a case of tasty cakes... I will rip my hair out.

Seriously I miss JD though. He was the best ever (at least in my ~20 years of watching hockey).

Poozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 09:06 AM
johnnydollaz89*
7 More Wins!!

Send a message via AIM to johnnydollaz89*
Rosen is great but hes know Gary, Keith and Ron those are my 4 favorite announcers ever

johnnydollaz89* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 09:15 AM
dtrap

Send a message via AIM to dtrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopold Stotch View Post
Are you kidding me?!? The annoying voice and overused exclamations (pitchforks, waffleboards, corrals). Not to mention he is the voice of one of our biggest rivals.

A true Rangers fan would NEVER, EVER, make this statement. Shame on you.

I rue the day Sam retires. There's no play by play guy working at MSG studios worthy of the role right now. Mike Crispino and John Giannone are terrible. I would not mind Kenny Albert. In fact I wouldn't mind bringing the whole radio team over. Dave is a good color guy. They are great to listen to together.
********...I have been a Rangers fan since birth....but I also do play by play and Doc is the better announcer.

Doc can make a November game between the Oilers and Predators feel like game 7 of the Cup finals...he just knows his ****...

Sam is great and I love him...but Doc is to hockey what Vin Scully is to baseball...

As for a replacement for Sam...if you can't move Doc over from the Devils then you move Howie Rose back...

dtrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 09:18 AM
bubba5

Sam makes you feel like he is sitting in your family room with you with the fireplace going and chatting with you about the game. Doc makes you feel like you are at the arena going nuts for your team.

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 09:23 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Glad he's getting national hockey exposure.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 09:49 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwoz View Post
Sam + JD = bliss.

I miss the good ol' days.
As a Caps fan growing up in the DC area I remember first getting cable tv in the mid 80s. Our area received WWOR-11 which carried Rangers road games and Mets games.

I hated the Rangers and thought they had a horribly crappy team back then (I think Walt Poddubny and Kelly Kisio were their most dangerous players..maybe throw Brian Mullen in there).

But I would religously tune in every game because the announcers made it enjoyable.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 11:41 AM
The Mouth

You are exactly right about the regime allstar, that surely is a big factor why Sam is such a gelding.

This also points to the main difference between NHL U.S Hockey traditional media and Canadian NHL media.

In Canada they don't shy away from being candid and critical on broadcasts. Just like the way U.S broadcasters are about the NFL or MLB.

In The U.S it's a lovefest. Everyone is good, everyone works hard, you might get the occasional " They are struggling" or "coaches want him to improve"

J.D was critical but in the most diplomatic way and he talked plainly.

Sam Rosen must care more about Job security at this point then still striving to be the best out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstar3970 View Post
It may be that or start bashing the team and lose his job. We all know the type of iron-curtain like regime Dolan is running over there...

The Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote