HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rebuild or Reload?

View Poll Results: Rebuild or Reload?
Rebuild 33 42.86%
Reload 44 57.14%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-12-2004, 11:04 PM
  #26
richardn
Registered User
 
richardn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Sault Ste. Marie
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,319
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch
Rebuild, but management as we all know here, will Reload.

Just my honest opinion!
If I where a Habs fan I to would want the Leafs to rebuild. Then maybee the Habs would have a better chance to win the division. The Leafs will not be looking at any major rebuilding. They just need to learn how to develop along some young players to step in to the lineup and be impact players. It all has to start with not trading away all the teams best draft picks and prospects. The Leafs have to much money not to sign some big name free agents every year.

richardn is offline  
Old
05-12-2004, 11:32 PM
  #27
Mooch
Registered User
 
Mooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NC/Toronto/Florida
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,960
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardn
If I where a Habs fan I to would want the Leafs to rebuild. Then maybee the Habs would have a better chance to win the division. The Leafs will not be looking at any major rebuilding. They just need to learn how to develop along some young players to step in to the lineup and be impact players. It all has to start with not trading away all the teams best draft picks and prospects. The Leafs have to much money not to sign some big name free agents every year.
My opinion has nothing too do with how much it would help the habs, although thats a good point i should take into consideration. Money doesn't win you champioships is what my grounds of rebuilding are set on. When you rebuild you groom players into your system, which often leads to success if that system is any good.

Look at the teams in the confrence finals this year, 3-4 are rebuilding teams!

Mooch is offline  
Old
05-12-2004, 11:50 PM
  #28
richardn
Registered User
 
richardn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Sault Ste. Marie
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,319
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch
My opinion has nothing too do with how much it would help the habs, although thats a good point i should take into consideration. Money doesn't win you champioships is what my grounds of rebuilding are set on. When you rebuild you groom players into your system, which often leads to success if that system is any good.

Look at the teams in the confrence finals this year, 3-4 are rebuilding teams!
Because they have no choice. When players get older they can not afford them and have to trade for young talent to compete at a cheaper cost. The Leafs have no money problems so why rebuild. Rebuild with the players they already have. Don't dismantle the team. That would take years to recover.

richardn is offline  
Old
05-13-2004, 07:30 AM
  #29
Joey24
Registered User
 
Joey24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New Zealand
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 5,697
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Joey24
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardn
Because they have no choice. When players get older they can not afford them and have to trade for young talent to compete at a cheaper cost. The Leafs have no money problems so why rebuild. Rebuild with the players they already have. Don't dismantle the team. That would take years to recover.
My point exactly richardn. No team needs to rebuild if they have a solid core of players and the money to sign their free agents plus go out and bring in some UFA to add skill and depth to their team. The richer teams that have a working system should not have to dismantle the teams they worked to build. They can continue to build through the drafts and keep a completive team while the young guys develop in the system. Toronto will not rebuild any time soon imo.

Joey24 is offline  
Old
05-13-2004, 08:02 AM
  #30
Leaf Army
Registered User
 
Leaf Army's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Leaf Nation
Posts: 8,694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey24
This is insane. How could you honestly say you want to see completive hockey every year if you and others say rebuilding is the way to go? Rebuilding is not necessarily going to land you young franchise players. Rebuilding can take years before you can even get back on track to becoming a completive team again let alone making the playoffs. The right direction for Toronto to go would be to go out and stock up on UFA's and keep the 1st rounder so we can stockpile some more young talent. Going through a total rebuilding phase does not guarantee you to come out with a super young exciting competing team when all the smoke clears.. you could just end up in the same situation you were in before the rebuild or worse off. and Imo I don't think the pro's outweigh the cons. I have voted for retool.
Oh and Philly did not out skate Toronto we had a defense that could not handel the forwards... we were not out skated or out hustled by any means sure we had some dead weight out there but for the most part we were right there with philly.
This is exactly right.

If you have a veteran team, like the Leafs, you get beat out and everyone says you underachieved.

If you have a young team, like the Canadiens, you skate off the ice to a standing ovation after being swept.

The only reason some people want to rebuild is so they can still feel good about the team when we get beat out of the playoffs.

Why rebuild if you already have a competitive team?

Leaf Army is offline  
Old
05-13-2004, 08:16 AM
  #31
Joey24
Registered User
 
Joey24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New Zealand
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 5,697
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Joey24
Roberts Sundin Mogilny
Shannahan Nieundyk Nolan
Tucker Madden Rolston
Poni Stajan Domi
(extras) Kilger, Belak, Perrott, Whilm, etc.

Leetch, McCabe
Zhitnik, Carney
Berg, Hedin
(extras) Pilar, *possible young guys or free agent pickups.*
Belfour
Gerber / potvin

out:
Antropov, Kaberle, Johansson, Francis, Fitzgerald, Renberg, Reichel, Klee, Marchment,Kidd, Berehowsky,

in:
Zhitnik, Carney, Madden, Rolston, Shannahan.

Now before the flaming starts remember this is who I would like to see come in next season I am not saying it is who they will get.

Joey24 is offline  
Old
05-13-2004, 03:17 PM
  #32
LucaBrasi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 95
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey24
Roberts Sundin Mogilny
Shannahan Nieundyk Nolan
Tucker Madden Rolston
Poni Stajan Domi
(extras) Kilger, Belak, Perrott, Whilm, etc.

Leetch, McCabe
Zhitnik, Carney
Berg, Hedin
(extras) Pilar, *possible young guys or free agent pickups.*
Belfour
Gerber / potvin

out:
Antropov, Kaberle, Johansson, Francis, Fitzgerald, Renberg, Reichel, Klee, Marchment,Kidd, Berehowsky,

in:
Zhitnik, Carney, Madden, Rolston, Shannahan.

Now before the flaming starts remember this is who I would like to see come in next season I am not saying it is who they will get.
Where's Carlo? and what about Telly?

I'm not trying to flame you or anything, but this is precisely why I posted earlier that we need to lose some veterans.

The leafs never develop players. Is it because their prospects are no good? or is it because they never get to play? Everytime an opening occurs for our kids we fill it with a veteran. Then we trade the kids away cause they aren't playing anyway ... and guess what? They end up reaching their potential ... on other teams.

I'd like to see a team win as much as the next guy. But I'd also like to cheer for a team that I've watched develop and grow. It's a lot more fun winning when you get to see the kids become stars, rather than having veterans come in and play out the rest of their careers, because this is the area they gew up in.

Broke teams rebuild because they have to. In many cases they achieve some sort of success by doing so. If TO chose the same path, wouldn't they have at least the same, if not more, success? They aren't gonna do it cause they're broke, so they can still afford the necessary star veterans. The reason the other teams never seem to last is because after a few years they can't afford all the star players they created. Toronto will never be in that situation.

We don't have to fire everyone, all we've gotta do is rethink a lot of the players who seem to be automatic resigns.

I know you guys are gonna disagree with me anyway, so there's no point in beating a dead horse, but I see nothing wrong in purging the team at this particular time because of it's age. It's not a permanent, re-occuring cycle, just a one time investment into our future. .... and what better time than now, when we will likely have to dump salary anyway.

LucaBrasi is offline  
Old
05-14-2004, 08:28 PM
  #33
Stajan_Steen
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 123
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafaholix
Considering all the goodies available July 1 and the age of Mats Sundin and Ed Belfour, you have to reload.

Quite honestly, if you have a goalie the calibre of Belfour and a franchise player like Mats, you can build a serious contender by bringing in a few players available on the market this summer.

It's the wrong time to rebuild. If you build a strong team and there's a season, then you're ready to make another run at it. If you sign the players you want/need to 1 year contracts and there is a strike, then you don't lose anything.

RELOAD... and if you don't win the Cup, then you can think about "rebuilding"... even though I don't think we'll ever see this organization rebuild, you never know what you get in the draft.
Yeah that. I know I'm like week late. Give them one more year. After that.....
Don't blow the team up though.That won't work in Toronto. Rebuild slowly.


Last edited by Stajan_Steen: 05-15-2004 at 09:41 AM.
Stajan_Steen is offline  
Old
05-15-2004, 04:35 AM
  #34
LeeIs
M a t s
 
LeeIs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: T.O.
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,524
vCash: 500
Reload Reload Reload Reload Reload Reload
Reload Reload Reload Reload
Reload Reload
Reload!




Yes, Reload.

LeeIs is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:44 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.