HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If this is true, I will throw up.

Old
04-22-2010, 08:10 PM
HockeyinHD

vCash: 500
If this is true, I will throw up.

http://twitter.com/SportsGuy33

Totally. 100%. ESPN has wanted the NHL back for 2 yrs. Bettman is rooster-blocking. RT @wolvie75: Jilted lover syndrome on Bettman's part?
about 9 hours ago via UberTwitter

ESPN has wanted it back for 2 yrs. It's Bettman that won't do it. RT @mission1619: When you take over ESPN, make sure you get the NHL back.

As a note, this is Bill Simmons' twitter feed, so he may actually have some real information.

HockeyinHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 08:12 PM
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily

Interesting. Not surprising though, it's Bettman.

Vatican Roulette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 08:21 PM
hexrae

Not to defend him, but what kind of coverage did the NHL have on ESPN before? Perhaps the league isn't interested in being regulated/pre-recorded/etc... (Not sure of the previous agreement).

hexrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 08:27 PM
sarcastro

vCash: 663
ESPN's poker ratings have gone in the toilet. That was their golden goose that was supposed to be booting hockey out the door.

IIRC they wanted the TV rights for free (which would have been a good deal for the NHL to stay on the radar with the garbage VS puts people through), but they would probably be willing to pay some now.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 08:34 PM
Yemack

depends what the term is.

Yemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 08:50 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

Versus' had a deal in place for 2 years, so it's kind of meaningless isn't it?

EDIT: That was an embarrassing mistake.

Last edited by Brodie: 04-23-2010 at 12:21 AM.
Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 08:59 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyinHD View Post
http://twitter.com/SportsGuy33

Totally. 100%. ESPN has wanted the NHL back for 2 yrs. Bettman is rooster-blocking. RT @wolvie75: Jilted lover syndrome on Bettman's part?

ESPN has wanted it back for 2 yrs. It's Bettman that won't do it. RT @mission1619: When you take over ESPN, make sure you get the NHL back.

As a note, this is Bill Simmons' twitter feed, so he may actually have some real information.
For a few years, I was against the VS deal and considered it suicide.

But today's VS coverage of the playoffs is better than anything ESPN ever gave us.

Good riddance ESPN.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 09:08 PM
jacK

it hurts me to say this, but i'm ok w/ Mao holding out.
the NHL, and the hockey brand in general, has gone up tremendously in value with the amazing Olympic game(s). and with an NFL and NBA lockout/strike looming, the NHL is in prime position to be the only game in town from September to April. assuming this is the thought process, business-wise, this is fairly savvy and could pay off hugely (thread on the biz board has a link saying Bettman is thinking US TV contracts may double next time around in June 2011.)
however, if he's doing this out of spite for being treated like the red-headed step child when they were on ESPN, and being low-balled last time ESPN had a chance at rights, then i'm not so much in favor.

edit: oh yeah, and VS has slowly but surely developed into very quality hockey programming. if they can figure out a way to get NBC its weekend afternoon games, VS their Monday & Tuesday games, and ESPN another day of the week, i think that'd be best for the game (and the networks.)

jacK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 09:56 PM
Reality Check

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post

But today's VS coverage of the playoffs is better than anything ESPN ever gave us.

Good riddance ESPN.
Hardly.

Bettman likely want ESPN to pay up and they're smart not to.

After all, the NHL needs ESPN as opposed to the other way around.

Reality Check is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 10:44 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post
Hardly.

Bettman likely want ESPN to pay up and they're smart not to.

After all, the NHL needs ESPN as opposed to the other way around.
Yeah, let's sign up with ESPN because they don't want to pay the league AND because they'll throw us on ESPN 6 to air poker, gymnastics, soccer, old college football highlights, and cheerleading on the first five networks.

No thanks.

ESPN sucks.

Old
04-22-2010, 11:51 PM
chances14

Quote:
Yeah, let's sign up with ESPN because they don't want to pay the league AND because they'll throw us on ESPN 6 to air poker, gymnastics, soccer, old college football highlights, and cheerleading on the first five networks.

No thanks.

ESPN sucks.
even if they do put nhl on espn 2, there will be more coverage of hockey on sportscenter and on espnews, which will only help create interest in the NHL. NHL definitely needs ESPN

chances14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 11:54 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings1421 View Post
even if they do put nhl on espn 2, there will be more coverage of hockey on sportscenter and on espnews, which will only help create interest in the NHL. NHL definitely needs ESPN
About five years ago, I would have agreed with you. But the NHL has done OK without disney.

Old
04-23-2010, 12:23 AM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

Quote:
About five years ago, I would have agreed with you. But the NHL has done OK without disney.
They're just now reaching pre-lockout levels in terms of playoff ratings. It certainly hasn't worked out, except for on NBC.

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2010, 02:47 AM
garry1221

Send a message via AIM to garry1221
Vs coverage is pretty damn good. Espn treated the league like garbage before, why should we go back? If hold 'em's ratings are so low that they're finally crawling back to the nhl, then it's the league that's in the driver's seat, not the network. Why give them rights to some games if they ain't going to do anything major with it? Frankly, with comcast's purchase of nbc universal, i'd see what they do before anything else.

garry1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2010, 04:00 AM
InGusWeTrust
hockey.tk

vCash: 542
I don't like how VS stopped showing double headers on Monday and Tuesdays....Now its only 1 game on each of those days. LAME. It's been way to long to remember the ESPN coverage. Was it any good?

InGusWeTrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2010, 05:24 AM
TheMoreYouKnow

The league is okay on VS, people seem to have forgotten that when ESPN had the rights they didn't even use them half the time. What would the league gain from being on ESPN?

People have this naive notion that being on ESPN automatically makes people interested in a sport, which of course is why lacrosse is America's new national pastime and why MMA became popular without much ESPN exposure at all.

The NHL should rather try to cater to its fans by having a lot of games on TV than keep chasing that mirage of casual NFL fans becoming NHL fans.

TheMoreYouKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2010, 07:14 AM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but aren't the ratings on VS just as good as they ever were on ESPN?

ESPN is a terrible network, but the more exposure the better. I just don't think it's wise to turn our backs to Versus.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2010, 07:50 AM
67coach

Versus Sucks

You tell me that any other sport that in the height of it's playoffs that has to "Join a game already in progress" That's garbage. Now, if they add another channell so we don't all have to watch Freakin Cindy Crybaby every time the boy takes a poop, I may change my mind.

Because of Vs G.D. love affair with the Penguins I didn't see any of the Wings game on Tuesday.

At least with ESPN you have the option to have more than one game on at the same time

67coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2010, 07:57 AM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67coach View Post
You tell me that any other sport that in the height of it's playoffs that has to "Join a game already in progress" That's garbage. Now, if they add another channell so we don't all have to watch Freakin Cindy Crybaby every time the boy takes a poop, I may change my mind.

Because of Vs G.D. love affair with the Penguins I didn't see any of the Wings game on Tuesday.

At least with ESPN you have the option to have more than one game on at the same time
With baseball and basketball playoffs, you don't honestly believe that ESPN would have hockey on ESPN and ESPN2, do you?

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2010, 08:29 AM
HockeyinHD

Leaving ESPN was a mistake, and stubbornly refusing to go back to them is another mistake.

Is the coverage improving on VS? Absolutely. Sure, it took over half a decade to get to this point, but now after having already wasted those 5-8 years with vastly reduced coverage the need to go back to ESPN isn't as pronounced as it otherwise might be.

Still, I think it would be foolish to not at least include ESPN in the bidding process, especially for the playoffs. Versus and NBC, while they do an okay job with individual games, just aren't going to be able to have more than one game on at a time like ESPN could do in the playoffs, and ESPN has a largely open schedule during this time of year, with only baseball as a televised sport of note. Let NBC, Versus and ESPN wrangle over who gets to do what in the postseason, and the NHL can only benefit from that.

Day in and day out I don't think ESPN would be terribly committed to hockey during the regular season, and that's okay.

HockeyinHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2010, 09:22 AM
TheMoreYouKnow

The fact people actually think ESPN would have hockey on both ESPN and ESPN2 at the same time makes me wonder in what kind of bizarro fake reality I find myself in here. Even if they actually had an "open" schedule this time of year they wouldn't do it, but given that they are showing NBA playoffs on a nightly basis and then have stuff like the NFL draft in addition to baseball it's worse than wishful thinking, it's the deranged ramblings of lunatics.

TheMoreYouKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2010, 09:39 AM
67coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
The fact people actually think ESPN would have hockey on both ESPN and ESPN2 at the same time makes me wonder in what kind of bizarro fake reality I find myself in here. Even if they actually had an "open" schedule this time of year they wouldn't do it, but given that they are showing NBA playoffs on a nightly basis and then have stuff like the NFL draft in addition to baseball it's worse than wishful thinking, it's the deranged ramblings of lunatics.
Hate to burst your bubble with facts but according to NBA.com only 5 out of the next 22 basketball playoff games are on ESPN, the rest are on TNT, ABC or NBA TV.
So you're talking about 22.7% of the basketball playoffs and that is for all of the ESPN channells.
There is plenty of room for Hockey on ESPN

67coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2010, 09:51 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67coach View Post

What do you think would happen if it was on back-to-back, on ESPN.

Old
04-23-2010, 10:24 AM
doublejack

Quote:

Good riddance ESPN.
+1

I love the bonus coverage, that's something that ESPN never did and would never do.

The biggest drawback of the NHL on VS was that not everyone got VS. That's improved a lot over the years. Now, many people who have ESPN also get VS. That being the case, hockey is better off on VS. If the league went back to ESPN, it would probably end up on ESPN2 or the upcoming ESPN3. Why be a second class citizen?

doublejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2010, 10:31 AM
r0bert8841

Send a message via AIM to r0bert8841
I can tell you from my experience with the kids at my school, that pretty much 95%-70% of all casual sports fans watch sports center on a daily basis. When the casual sports fan is bored, they flip on the TV to ESPN and watch whatever is on.

The benefit of being covered on ESPN is not how much they are paying us or the quality of their coverage, it is the fact every days hockey highlights will be on Sports Center for more than 30 seconds. Every talk show (ie. Around the Horn) will have discussions about events going on in hockey. Interest for hockey from the average sports fan will grow greatly. That is where the real money is. Ticket prices will rise because demand will rise. Especially in areas hockey isn't mainstream like the South.

Last year at school, I thought it would be funny if I asked some of my friends why they didn't watch hockey anymore. One of them answer "because the Wings have sucked since Yzerman left." while most others answer "I don't know..." as if they just kind of forgot about it. And in one of my classes, my teacher was trying to start up a conversation about hockey by asking the class "how many people know the Red Wings are in the finals" and only 1 other person besides me knew (out of like 30 kids). I think it is really clear the real reason hockey isn't as popular today is because of their lack of coverage by the network with a monopoly on sports.

r0bert8841 is offline   Reply With Quote