HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will Bob Gainey mold this team as his own...

Closed Thread

Old
05-08-2004, 12:00 PM
RE-HABS

vCash: 500
Will Bob Gainey mold this team as his own...

Will Bob Gainey mold this team as his own...after having been the GM for a full year and being able to get to watch and evaluate all of the players and prospects in the organization will Gainey now start to "tinker" in adding and subtracting of players to make this team a full fledged contender?

We all know we are close, but a GM likes to put his own stamp on a team and BG started to do this at the trade deadline by adding Dowd and Kovalev and the signing of Danis.

Will he now look at his starting line-up and start to tinker with it?

Players under contract:
Theodore and Garon in net.
Brisebois, Rivet, Markov, Komisarek, Bouillion on D.
Koivu, Bulis, Ward,

Who is in?

Who is out???

2/3rd's of the top line needs to be inked, the whole 2nd line needs to be signed or not signed insert Dagenais here.

Out we know is Juneau because of retirement, we all know Dackell is not in the picture and Quintal looks to be gone too. Sundstrum is more than likely is out of the picture and I doubt that the Habs pick up the option on Dagenais.

Question marks are Kovalev (depends on $$$'s), Perreault (after being a scratch and 4th liner then a 1st to 2nd line contributer it may depend on his $$$'s too). Dowd is a question mark too, he and Begin are similar type players and we have strong defensive players in Ward and Bulis, but that being said if Sunny is gone I think Dowd is back. Langdon is re-signed, he is inexpensive and is the tough guy we have sorely missed since Nilan and Kordic and he is great in the dressing room and well respected by not only his teammates but by the NHL as a whole.

Dykhuis is more than likely bought out.

RFA's...Ryder re-signed, Riberio re-signed, Souray re-signed, Hossa re-signed, Begin re-signed and Zednik re-signed.

Out of the RFA's though I would not be surprised to see Gainey try to trade for a more complete player for the money he is going to pay these two...Riberio and Zednik.

Now before everyone gets to mad or disagree just look at it this way.

Riberio is a great player, but he is undisapline and looks to disappear as soon as he is checked or doesn't have the puck. Is he a Bob Gainey and Claude Julien type player, I think not. If BG can get a winger say like Glen Murray (UFA) for the second line to compliment Ribs and Ryder he stays, but Ribs needs some size to his wing along with Ryder to help him succeed in this league. It may not be dealing Ribs, but dealing to help Ribs...you know what I mean?

Zednik, this guy I would love to keep but he maybe wanting around 3 million per now because he has proven to be a 20 + goal scorer for 3 plus seasons and players like Steve Sullivan and others have set the bar for players like Zednik to make that type of money. Only thing is to make that money I think a player needs to be a more complete player in his abilities to pass the puck and to get more points in the assist column too, plus he should be defensively better and useful in shorthanded possabilities too. A trade of two RFA's (type II) could be a possability in the likes of an Arnott for Zednik, a trade Gainey would like to do to get more help at centre especially if Perreault is not re-signed and the retirement of Juneau.

I think Gainey will do some adjustments to this team, he has seen where they need help, he knows their strenghts and their weakness's...now it is time to address them.

If I'm Gainey with what I just said to the top my team may look like this next year:
Forwards:
Kovalev - Koivu - Ryder (all good passers and two gifted scorers)
Murray - Riberio - Hossa (the skilled and sized wingers Ribs needs)
Ward - Arnott - Bulis (nice checking line with size and skill)
Begin - Dowd - Langdon (great crash and bang energy line)

Possible additions are Perezhogin(?), Higgins and Plekanec. One of these three will be here for sure, Langdon and Dowd will not be dressed every night.

Defense:
Souray - Komisarek
Markov - Rivet
Brisebois - Boullion
Hainsey
Possible addition Beauchemin (Both Beachemin and Hainsey appear ready, does that mean Boullion may be the odd man out???)

Goalies
Theodore and Garon (But games maybe split 50/50 this year)

Thoughts?

Does anyone else see Gainey making next years team his team??? Or do you see him staying the course ala "Savard"?

Old
05-08-2004, 12:18 PM
Traitor8

Why are you putting names in our lineup?? Guys like Murray and Arnott? who said that they would come here or sign here ? You can't just assume stuff and if you want to sign a free agent.. what about Keith Primeau ? I know he won't leave Philly but he is very interesting player. Barnaby,Simon,Reechi,Palffy,Shanahan are also other great players.

I agree that we should look into Murray and Arnott but I think at least 15 other teams would be interested in them. I also agree with you that Richard Zednik is getting too much money for what he does and is not really consistent during the season. He goes on an amazing streak of 10 G in 8 Games then he doesn't score for 15 games. ..we need more consistency and when you can't get over 50 pts..while playing with the best team scorer(Ribeiro) and the team's most skilled players(Saku) in the later part of the season when he was dominating then there is something wrong. I would look into this trade:

Richard Zednik, Mon 1st, Hainsey and move up in the draft...in the top 7 if possible. If not, change Hainsey to Hossa or Plekanec.

Old
05-08-2004, 12:32 PM
Gazou

Please sign Lappy!!!!!

He said in interview this season when the Habs were in LA that if the Habs offered him a contract he would love to play in MTL, he's the exact type of player we need. Imagine a line with him and Begin

Old
05-08-2004, 12:36 PM
prabak11

Send a message via MSN to prabak11 Send a message via Yahoo to prabak11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazou
Please sign Lappy!!!!!

He said in interview this season when the Habs were in LA that if the Habs offered him a contract he would love to play in MTL, he's the exact type of player we need. Imagine a line with him and Begin
whos lappy?

Old
05-08-2004, 12:42 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabby
whos lappy?
Ian Lapierre(sp?)of the Kings... would be an awesome addition!!!

Old
05-08-2004, 12:42 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komisarek8
Richard Zednik, Mon 1st, Hainsey and move up in the draft...in the top 7 if possible. If not, change Hainsey to Hossa or Plekanec.
I think Montreal's 1st and Zednik could get you in the top 7 picks alone, you don't need to add Hainsey or any other prospect in the mix to make that trade.

Top Ten Teams picking:

1 Washington - not interested in trading pick for sure.
2 Pittsburgh - same as above
3 Chicago - young team, maybe willing to trade pick (cost higher though)
4 Columbus - would trade pick to add to Nash, Zherdev and Co.
5 Phoenix - would probably make a trade too.
6 NY Rangers - desperately need prospects, trade possible?
7 Florida - would make a trade for Zedder in a flash.
8 Carolina - same as above
9 Anaheim - would look great in Anaheim with their speed, could trade.
10 Atlanta - would trade, and the 1st rounder may not have to be involved.

Old
05-08-2004, 12:58 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
We can't throw away the present for the future, we can win now AND win later as well. Nothing this drastic is needed, we are already going to have some bumps in the road from having to integrate two or three or even four rookies next year.

But those guys are going to have to MAKE the team.

Zednik is cheap and we have to hold onto him. Hopefully down the road he'll be on our second line. $2 mil is not bad for 25+ goals. He can't make a play for his life, but he's a good extra winger on a contender and does step it up on the playoffs (most of the time). I like him.

I don't think our forwards are the problem actually, other than we could use a bit more defense out of the new guys we integrate. We're looking pretty good up there if we sign Kovalev or another skilled guy to help Saku.

It's the defense that has problems. We need another guy to safely move the puck. Brisebois and Rivet have proven that they are not going to be those guys and Komisarek is not going to be ready for another couple years as a solid, dependable puck handler it seems. We only have Souray (when healthy) and Markov right now.

I like the idea of signing Kovalev, Lappy and a puckhandler for our defense (or make a trade for this guy). That would make us a MUCH better team. With all the new rookies coming in, we definitely need to shore up our D.

There are plenty of options on the FA market, all are just band-aids, but WE NEED A BAND-AID! Boughner, Klemm or Matvichuk would work... a nice, dependable, stay-at-home puck mover. Mathieu Schneider would be great, of course. Weinrich, Khavanov, Baron, Marshall, Laukkenen, Cullimore, Klee.... whoever fits the best.

The odd men out would be Brisebois or Rivet (not likely) or Bouillon and Hainsey (more likely). Whatever has to be done to move the puck better, we have to do it. Teams know that they can attack the right side of our D and produce cough-ups. We have to take that away. Philly managed to do it, why can't we?

Old
05-08-2004, 01:07 PM
E = CH˛

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS
Does anyone else see Gainey making next years team his team??? Or do you see him staying the course ala "Savard"?
Gainey has made the habs "his" team from day one with the Bégin, Langdon pick ups, the McKay and Czerkawski buyouts, a plethora of small off ice moves (firing of the travel secretaries, banning the medias from the team charters, standing up for Breezer, etc) and the remolding of the coaching and managing staff (Jarvis and Gauthier).

He'll have an ever better opportunity now that he's had the chance to evaluate everyone for a whole year.

In Gainey I trust !

Old
05-08-2004, 01:08 PM
Traitor8

Zednik is making 2.2 M $ in 2003-2004...He scored 30 goals in 2002-2003 so his he got a 400 k bonus from his 1.8 M $ Contract. He will be asking around the 3 M $ mark and that is pretty weak for a guy who can't get over 50 pts and is a very streaky player.

1-Ovechkin
2-Malkin
3-Olesz
4-Barker
5-
6-
7-

Can you please fill the last 3 ?

Old
05-08-2004, 01:09 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves
Zednik is cheap and we have to hold onto him. Hopefully down the road he'll be on our second line. $2 mil is not bad for 25+ goals. He can't make a play for his life, but he's a good extra winger on a contender and does step it up on the playoffs (most of the time). I like him.
Is cheap now at 1.8 million, do you honestly think he will only get his 10% raise to get him to 2 million per? I think not.

He will be gunning for 2.5 - 3 million per, is Montreal willing to spend that? Maybe they have another Michael Ryder in Higgins, Perezhogin, Hossa or Plekanec...a player who can score 20 goals at half that price or even less.

That 2.5 - 3 million per can be spent on a good centreman or a top 4 Dman.

Old
05-08-2004, 01:11 PM
Traitor8

Zednik is making 2.2 M $ in 2003-2004...He scored 30 goals in 2002-2003 so his he got a 400 k bonus from his 1.8 M $ Contract. He will be asking around the 3 M $ mark and that is pretty weak for a guy who can't get over 50 pts and is a very streaky player.

Old
05-08-2004, 01:15 PM
E = CH˛

Quote:
Is cheap now at 1.8 million, do you honestly think he will only get his 10% raise to get him to 2 million per? I think not.

He will be gunning for 2.5 - 3 million per, is Montreal willing to spend that? Maybe they have another Michael Ryder in Higgins, Perezhogin, Hossa or Plekanec...a player who can score 20 goals at half that price or even less.

Zednik's stats are bloated from getting prime ice time with Koivu. He won't get Sullivan's kind of money. Prior to signing his new contract Sullivan had a 75 pts season including 34 goals. Zednik doesn't come close to that production on a good year.

He'll get something between 2M and 2.5M or he'll stay home in Slovakia.

Old
05-08-2004, 01:18 PM
Traitor8

1. Alex Ovechkin- Gee! What a surprise!
2. Evegeny Malkin- Duh!
3. Rostislav Olesz- The concussion doesn’t seem to have been a problem. I see Michalek with slightly better hands here so he stays at #3 for me.
4. A.J. Thelen- Better upside than Barker. REALLY impressed against older competition.
5. Laurie Tukonen- Was a man among boys at U18s. Excellent all-around sure-fire pro type.
6. Cam Barker- Has fairly obvious holes in his game but can also be a game-breaking big time talent.
7. Alex Radulov- Dynamic, catalyst, wants the puck and wants to win type. Exciting.
8. Andrew Ladd- Everyone who sees him seems to come away as a believer. Me too.
9. Marek Schwarz- Still ranks clearly as the best goalie for 2004.
10. Rob Schremp- This much talent gets you just about everywhere. I don’t buy the attitude problem stuff.

I got this from the prospect Board...You wouldn't trade Zednik to get your hands on Olesz,Barker,Thelen,Tukonen,Radulov ? Schremp is also very impressive and Marek Schwarz..I would add to my team..easier to trade Garon or Theodore when you have a guy like him and Danis in the backround.

Old
05-08-2004, 01:21 PM
E = CH˛

Quote:
I got this from the prospect Board...You wouldn't trade Zednik to get your hands on Olesz,Barker,Thelen,Tukonen,Radulov ? Schremp is also very impressive and Marek Schwarz..I would add to my team..easier to trade Garon or Theodore when you have a guy like him and Danis in the backround.
A bird in hand is better than two in the bush. Zednik is a proven 25+ goals scorer in the NHL and we've sucked for so long I don't see us taking a step back now.

Why would other teams that have finished lower want a guy like Zednik that is without a contract anyway ?

Bad for us, bad for them.

Old
05-08-2004, 01:21 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:

1-Ovechkin
2-Malkin
3-Olesz
4-Barker
5-
6-
7-

Can you please fill the last 3 ?
1-Ovechkin
2-Malkin
3-Olesz
4-Barker
5-Montoya???
6-Picard???
7-Schultz???

I would love to have two 1st rounders to get any of these players with 2 picks in the draft:
Montoya, Picard, Shultz, Green, Chipchura, Bolland, Garlock or Bickell.

Especially Green or Shultz on D.

Old
05-08-2004, 01:22 PM
Traitor8

because they have a lot of good prospect and want some more of the "proven" players you so call. ...us, we got Ryder out of nowhere and if Kovalev signs then I would trade Zednik. We got some pretty good scorers

Old
05-08-2004, 01:24 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
because they have a lot of good prospect and want some more of the "proven" players you so call. ...us, we got Ryder out of nowhere and if Kovalev signs then I would trade Zednik. We got some pretty good scorers
My thoughts exactly! I see Hossa stepping up ala Ryder and Riberio this year too, making Zednik expendable.

Old
05-08-2004, 01:27 PM
Traitor8

Having

Hossa-Koivu-Kovalev
***-Ribeiro-Ryder
Bulis-Dowd-Ward

*** Unless we get Ovechkin,Malkin or Olesz.. this spot is for Plekanec,Higgins or Dagenais to prove himself was again..until Perezhogin hopefully is allowed to play by Christmas. and maybe also Kostsitsyn or a 2 M $ Free Agent with the money saved.

Old
05-08-2004, 01:34 PM
RE-HABS

Players that make money Zednik will want in the range of 2.5-3 million per (forwards):
Kapanen, Sami $3,000,000.00
Ricci, Mike $3,000,000.00
Friesen, Jeff $3,000,000.00
Sullivan, Steve $3,000,000.00
Whitney, Ray $3,000,000.00
Sanderson, Geoff $3,000,000.00
Rucchin, Steve $2,975,000.00
Gaborik, Marian $2,900,000.00
Marchant, Todd $2,900,000.00
Stumpel, Jozef $2,850,000.00
Doan, Shane $2,800,000.00 (higher now, recently re-signed)
Carter, Anson $2,800,000.00
Barnes, Stu $2,800,000.00
Hossa, Marian $2,750,000.00
Stillman, Cory $2,750,000.00
Langkow, Daymond $2,700,000.00
Nylander, Michael $2,675,000.00
Smolinski, Bryan $2,650,000.00
Lecavalier, Vincent $2,625,000.00
Gagne, Simon $2,600,000.00
Lehtinen, Jere $2,600,000.00

IMO Zednik's game is no where close to being as strong or all around to deserve the money these players make (95%) of them anyway.

Old
05-08-2004, 01:40 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:

They can still get him cheap I think. Like you said, his numbers weren't that great. He's an RFA as well. He's a guaranteed 20-30 goals, those other guys are not and probably won't be for a couple years, if ever. Ryder could even disappear, we don't know for sure.

Zednik-Koivu-Kovalev (or other UFA)
Hossa-Ribeiro-Ryder
Bulis-Dowd-Ward
Begin-Plekanec-Laperriere

Souray-Komisarek
Markov-Rivet
UFA puck mover-Brisebois
Bouillon or Hainsey

That's the way I see it..

Last edited by tinyzombies: 05-08-2004 at 01:49 PM.
Old
05-08-2004, 01:45 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Players that make money Zednik will want in the range of 2.5-3 million per (forwards):
Kapanen, Sami $3,000,000.00
Ricci, Mike $3,000,000.00
Friesen, Jeff $3,000,000.00
Sullivan, Steve $3,000,000.00
Whitney, Ray $3,000,000.00
Sanderson, Geoff $3,000,000.00
Rucchin, Steve $2,975,000.00
Gaborik, Marian $2,900,000.00
Marchant, Todd $2,900,000.00
Stumpel, Jozef $2,850,000.00
Doan, Shane $2,800,000.00 (higher now, recently re-signed)
Carter, Anson $2,800,000.00
Barnes, Stu $2,800,000.00
Hossa, Marian $2,750,000.00
Stillman, Cory $2,750,000.00
Langkow, Daymond $2,700,000.00
Nylander, Michael $2,675,000.00
Smolinski, Bryan $2,650,000.00
Lecavalier, Vincent $2,625,000.00
Gagne, Simon $2,600,000.00
Lehtinen, Jere $2,600,000.00

IMO Zednik's game is no where close to being as strong or all around to deserve the money these players make (95%) of them anyway.
Apples and oranges. Some of those guys are superstars in the making, some of them make that money based on experience.

Old
05-08-2004, 01:51 PM
BLONG7

Does BG want to move up in the first round of the draft? Did he say this? Speculation?

Old
05-08-2004, 01:54 PM
E = CH˛

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7
Does BG want to move up in the first round of the draft? Did he say this? Speculation?
Doubtful. No. Yes.

Old
05-08-2004, 01:57 PM
Traitor8

It's Pure Speculation. We know how Andre Savard is very acting on draft day and he never lets go of the phone. We also know the type of offer he even made to Atlanta for Ilya Kovalchuk, we can speculate he will make a run at Alexander Ovechkin since he is apparently better then Ilya(potentielly wise-what I read) . The Lack of strenght aside from last year(Urquhart and Lapierre) might make us go for Olesz,Malkin or another big player. We also have more flexibility if Kovalev signs with us since we also have Ryder who came out of nowhere and most of our prospects have took a step forward except for Hossa and maybe Hainsey.

Very interesting draft and it's one of my favorite times a year.

Zednik,1st,Hainsey,Plekanec I would use to get into the top 2 or 3.

Old
05-08-2004, 02:25 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
It's Pure Speculation. We know how Andre Savard is very acting on draft day and he never lets go of the phone. We also know the type of offer he even made to Atlanta for Ilya Kovalchuk, we can speculate he will make a run at Alexander Ovechkin since he is apparently better then Ilya(potentielly wise-what I read) . The Lack of strenght aside from last year(Urquhart and Lapierre) might make us go for Olesz,Malkin or another big player. We also have more flexibility if Kovalev signs with us since we also have Ryder who came out of nowhere and most of our prospects have took a step forward except for Hossa and maybe Hainsey.

Very interesting draft and it's one of my favorite times a year.

Zednik,1st,Hainsey,Plekanec I would use to get into the top 2 or 3.
Actually, that does sound appealing.

Closed Thread