HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Calgary's D vs. San Jose's D

View Poll Results: Who has the better D?
Calgary has best top four and best 7 29 19.33%
Calgary has best top four, San Jose best 7 14 9.33%
San Jose has best top four, Calgary best 7 59 39.33%
San Jose has best top four and best 7 48 32.00%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-08-2004, 08:55 PM
OrrNumber4

vCash: 500
Calgary's D vs. San Jose's D

Whose Defense do you think is better? I think that the sharks D-corp can contribute more offense than Calgary's can; otherwise, Calgary's is better.

Old
05-08-2004, 09:18 PM
Burnaby_Joe*

They both have good defense. I heard Gauthier might be out for the rest of the playoffs, is this true?

Old
05-08-2004, 09:32 PM
Vincent Vega
GGTK

San Jose:

Brad Stuart
Kyle Mclaren
Mike Rathje
Scott Hannan
Jason Marshall
Jim Fahey
Rob Davison

Calgary:

Robyn Regehr
Jordan Leopold
Rhett Warrener
Denis Gauthier
Toni Lydman
Mike Commodore
Steve Montador
Andrew Ference

IMO, San Jose has a better top 4. Rather easily Calgary has a better top 7. They have 8 defensemen who could fit into most other teams top 6.

Old
05-08-2004, 10:20 PM
corbanSOG
Registered Loser

i say sharks have better top-4, especially with gauthier and lydman out, but i give a healthy calgary d the better top-7.

and you forgot to list preissing.

Old
05-08-2004, 10:36 PM
Teemu

I'll have to say San Jose.

Old
05-08-2004, 10:38 PM
Hellsempire

Both calgary and san Jose has a great defense and it will be a tough series between them both but I would have to go with the best and say San Jose over Calgary...

Old
05-08-2004, 10:46 PM
FLAMESFAN

vCash: 50
I would say the top 4 might be close, but overall definitly Calgary.
BTW in order:
Regehr
Leopold
Lydman
Warrener
Gauthier
Ference
Montador/Commodore

Old
05-08-2004, 11:20 PM
S.S. Giggy
RIP 1974-2011

I don't think it's the D-men that's the factor, I think it's the Defensive strategy that's being used. San Jose uses a basic forward and back system which, almost looks like a Wing Lock and relies more on Nabokov to make the save. Calgary, however, takes advantage of them not going into the middle of the ice and the slot, they form a 4 man wall near their blueline then, the edges slip back to cover the side boards, pressuring them, at the same time, not allowing them any space to make a centering feed, while the forwards take the points and the high slot. That's my view on the difference of both San Jose's and Calgary's Defense.

Old
05-09-2004, 12:11 AM
zoidberg

San Jose has a better top 4, but definately the Flames have a better top 7. When Phaneuf comes out, though, everythin' may change

Old
05-09-2004, 02:57 AM
Burke's Evil Spirit

It doesn't matter, it's all about team defense with these guys anyways. They'd be fine with the likes of Martin Strbak, Todd Simpson, Karel Pilas, Nicklas Havelid, Murray Baron and Steve Poapst :lol

Old
05-09-2004, 04:00 AM
Ironchef Chris Wok*

Send a message via ICQ to Ironchef Chris Wok*
What happened to Christian Erhoff?

Old
05-09-2004, 12:51 PM
mage23

Send a message via ICQ to mage23 Send a message via AIM to mage23 Send a message via MSN to mage23 Send a message via Yahoo to mage23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironchef Chris Wok
What happened to Christian Erhoff?
He was sent to Cleveland (AHL) a few months ago to play more minutes and continue his development. With Cleveland's season now over, it's rumored he's back in SJ with the team.

Old
05-10-2004, 03:07 PM
Christ

Defensively Calgary's defense is better, offensively San Jose is better. All factors taken in the defensemen of the two teams measure up pretty evenly in my opinion.

Old
05-13-2004, 05:01 PM
ZombieMatt

I don't think its even close.

San Jose's defenders are significantly better.

HOWEVER, Calgary is THE best coached team in the NHL, and their performance as a result is very equitable to San Jose's.

So, what I'm saying is that SJ's defence would perform better on other teams, but that CAL's d-men are very good, but made BETTER because of the excellent coaching of Sutter.

Old
05-13-2004, 05:38 PM
RoyIsALegend*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountie
I don't think its even close.

San Jose's defenders are significantly better.
How exactly do you figure that?

When your bottom pairing consists of Jason Marshall and a rotation between Jim Fahey and Rob Davison, you're not exactly dominant on the blue-line. The Sharks have a tremendous top four, but Calgary has six very dependable blue-lines with Steve Montador and Mike Commodore providing MUCH better depth at 7/8 than the Sharks' D.

Old
05-14-2004, 02:40 AM
dumpnchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyIsALegend
How exactly do you figure that?

When your bottom pairing consists of Jason Marshall and a rotation between Jim Fahey and Rob Davison, you're not exactly dominant on the blue-line. The Sharks have a tremendous top four, but Calgary has six very dependable blue-lines with Steve Montador and Mike Commodore providing MUCH better depth at 7/8 than the Sharks' D.
Watch Davison play it will answer your question. Marshall is a solid dman and that's what you need from your sixth guy more solid than Commodore/Montador. Fahey is okay at defense but his offense alone would be better than all flames dman if he was playing more, he isn;t playing more because sj simply has no room for him. Make sure you see Davison play.

Old
05-18-2004, 03:04 AM
andora

Send a message via MSN to andora
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumpnchase
Watch Davison play it will answer your question. Marshall is a solid dman and that's what you need from your sixth guy more solid than Commodore/Montador. Fahey is okay at defense but his offense alone would be better than all flames dman if he was playing more, he isn;t playing more because sj simply has no room for him. Make sure you see Davison play.
:lol

i love the line about marshall being so much more reliable than montador..

Old
05-18-2004, 01:27 PM
Sammy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by andora
:lol

i love the line about marshall being so much more reliable than montador..
No, I love the one where he says " Fahey is okay at defense but his offense alone would be better than all flames dman if he was playing more"
This for a guy who got 2 points this year for the Sharks.

Old
05-19-2004, 01:17 AM
mage23

Send a message via ICQ to mage23 Send a message via AIM to mage23 Send a message via MSN to mage23 Send a message via Yahoo to mage23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy
No, I love the one where he says " Fahey is okay at defense but his offense alone would be better than all flames dman if he was playing more"
This for a guy who got 2 points this year for the Sharks.
He hardly played this year (even in his 15 games, his ice time was limited), but he has proved that he can put points on the board at the NHL level when given ice time (20 points in 40 games last year ain't too shabby).

He'll likely be in another organization next year where hopefully he'll get a shot as a full-time defenseman. He's scrappy and good offensively, he's just too small and gets pushed around too much.

He might make a nice transition into a forward if a team wants to take a real risk.

NOTE: I'm not saying I agree with the original quote... just that his 2 points this year are being used out of context, in my opinion. If you're going to use stats, at least use them to show the whole picture including past years.

Old
05-19-2004, 05:44 PM
Lanny MacDonald*

At the start of the post season I was buying the hype surrounding the Sharks blueline. I even voted that the Sharks had the superior top four, but lacked the depth of the Flames top seven. A funny thing happened on the way to the fair.

I think the Sharks defensemen are a little over-rated. I expected a lot more out of the likes of Hannan, Stuart and McLaren. The only guy that has lived up to his billing has been Rathje. Hannan was supposed to be the great "neutralizer" on Iginla, yet Iginla and his line are still providing more than enough offense to win games. Hannan ain't getting it done. I thought Stuart would be a stud out there and a guy that I hoped Leopold would develop into some day. He's turned out to be a dud and Leopold has outplayed his opposite on the Sharks' blueline. McLaren has been the biggest disappointment of the bunch. If he isn't hitting, he isn't effective. McLaren has been a big zero out there.

The Sharks big four (Hannan, Stuart, Rathje and McLaren) were supposed to be superior to the Flames top four (Regehr, Leopold, Warriner and Ference). I figured that with the loss of Gauthier and Lydman, and the inclusion of Ference in the mix, that this would tip the scales in the Sharks favor. The Flames defense would be no match for "the highly skilled" Sharks. The Sharks defense would easily handle "the talent-challenged" Flames. The funny thing is that its been the other way around. Even with key injuries on the Flames blueline they have been more successful against the "talented" Sharks and the Sharks have struggled to contain the "grinding" Flames. It is easily arguable that the Flames defenders (top four) have been better than their highly rated Sharks counterparts. It is very obvious that the Sharks do not have the depth to compete with the Flames on the blueline as Wilson is going with four or five defensemen since game one of the series. San Jose just doesn't have guys like the Doors that they can throw out there and be confident in.

Results have definitely been on the Flames side so far. I think this poll has been blown out of the water and its obvious where the results are in reality. That's why the games are played I guess. To dispell the misconceptions fans have and poke holes in the paper lineups that people throw together.

Closed Thread