HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

QF Pre-Game Talk (FIN-CZE | SWE-DEN | RUS-CAN | SUI-GER)

Closed Thread

Old
05-18-2010, 03:59 PM
Systemfel
Global Moderator
Hockey Talk by Country

vCash: 50

Date
CET
EDT
Matchup
May 2016:1510:15 AMFIN vs. CZE
May 2016:1510:15 AMSWE vs. DEN
May 2020:152:15 PMRUS vs. CAN
May 2020:152:15 PMSUI vs. GER

Last edited by Systemfel: 05-18-2010 at 04:05 PM.
Old
05-18-2010, 04:06 PM
koh19

vCash: 500
Finland, Sweden, Russia, Switzerland go through.

Old
05-18-2010, 04:09 PM
Paatos

Denmark-Sweden, huh? Should be a nice one. Sweden's scalp is probably nr.1 on Denmark's hitlist, so a win would be the best possible PR boost for Danish hockey.

Highly unlikely that it would happen, of course.

Old
05-18-2010, 04:19 PM
Ilyeu

If Russia loses, this is anyone's gold! Imagine, Switzerland, Germany, Denmark getting gold. This has been the most unpredictable WJC since I've been watching. Canada will try to do everyone the favour and beat the Russians so you all stand a chance against us.

This is probably the only time I think everyone in Europe will be rooting for Canada to defeat the Russians.

Old
05-18-2010, 04:21 PM
Belak Attack
:walrus:

Send a message via MSN to Belak Attack
...I feel like I'm gonna cry.

Old
05-18-2010, 04:23 PM
Tobias

Send a message via Skype™ to Tobias
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paatos View Post
Denmark-Sweden, huh? Should be a nice one. Sweden's scalp is probably nr.1 on Denmark's hitlist, so a win would be the best possible PR boost for Danish hockey.

Highly unlikely that it would happen, of course.
You're a 100% right. I'm also afraid that we are an easy kill for team Sweden at this point of the tournament - but there is a chance.

The Danish commentator stated during tonights game Russia vs. Finland, that he will run naked across the Øresunds bridge, if we do in fact win the game.

Old
05-18-2010, 04:35 PM
Chicagofan19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
You're a 100% right. I'm also afraid that we are an easy kill for team Sweden at this point of the tournament - but there is a chance.

The Danish commentator stated during tonights game Russia vs. Finland, that he will run naked across the Øresunds bridge, if we do in fact win the game.
i'll run with him.
if denmark really should be able to take revanche, this will be one of the sweetest upsets ever in danish sports history. actually they have the tools, they just need to stay tuned and stick to their gameplan. this swedish team isn't the cream, like we've already found out. let's do it, denmark!

Last edited by Chicagofan19: 05-18-2010 at 04:36 PM. Reason: editing
Old
05-18-2010, 04:37 PM
Oyabun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilyeu View Post

If Russia loses, this is anyone's gold! Imagine, Switzerland, Germany, Denmark getting gold. This has been the most unpredictable WJC since I've been watching. Canada will try to do everyone the favour and beat the Russians so you all stand a chance against us.

This is probably the only time I think everyone in Europe will be rooting for Canada to defeat the Russians.
Let's go Canada!.
I think you guys have the support of every Czech,Swede,Dane,Swiss and German hockey fan.

All of these quarterfinals are very interesting in their own way. For us it's gonna be great to play our neighbour, Swiss and Germans might feel the same and then it's the two heavyweight meetings.

Old
05-18-2010, 04:40 PM
Brun0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilyeu View Post

THIS

Old
05-18-2010, 04:48 PM
BSHH
HSVer & Rotflügel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyabun View Post
(...) All of these quarterfinals are very interesting in their own way. For us it's gonna be great to play our neighbour, Swiss and Germans might feel the same and then it's the two heavyweight meetings.
That is exactly what I thought. The Russians will be screaming for vengeance against Canada, Finland and the Czech Republic are both looking for redemption and both neighbourhood rivalry games should be huge!

Gruß,
BSHH

Old
05-18-2010, 05:04 PM
Ilyeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSHH View Post
Russians will be screaming for vengeance against Canada,
It won't be much vengeance, but Canada has some vengeance to seek to.

Old
05-18-2010, 05:05 PM
Franck
Insolent Upstart

It would be as if a Danish knife had been thrust into the Swedish soul if Denmark wins this game.
Lets hope we steamroll the Danes just like we did just before the tournament.

Old
05-18-2010, 05:14 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

a. lean towards finland here, but could really go either way.
b. sweden, though i'll be rooting hard for regin and the danes.
c. russia is taking this. This team is practically as loaded as the olympic team. Canada has sent a mix of their B and C squads.
d. Switzerland should take it, but switzerland often performs well against 'better' teams only to lose to those ranked below them. With the hometown fans, germany could pull an upset.

05-18-2010, 05:20 PM
Ilyeu

Quote:
c. russia is taking this. This team is practically as loaded as the olympic team. Canada has sent a mix of their B and C squads.
Canada Miracle on Ice!

Old
05-18-2010, 05:30 PM
Crusty Quinn

Swe-Den

Old
05-18-2010, 05:35 PM
lopper

Russia will roll through the medal round to claim gold.

Old
05-18-2010, 05:42 PM
ktf

Send a message via MSN to ktf
I am most looking forward to the Germany-Switzerland game. I think it will be very close and exciting. I personally would not consider it an upset if Germany won. The teams are quite evenly matched and if you take out the German goal scoring issues, they easily could have won every game so far. They looked very sharp against the Russians as well.
Other then that... Canada has looked awful and pending a drastic change in coaching philosophy over the next two days, a brillant goaltending effort, and/or the Russian rivalry kicking them into high performance mode they will lose.
Sweden should beat Denmark, but I am hoping for the underdog.
Finland and the Czechs should be an interesting game. Both of these teams have veteran leadership, good goaltending, and something to prove.

Old
05-18-2010, 07:01 PM
mikael99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franck View Post
It would be as if a Danish knife had been thrust into the Swedish soul if Denmark wins this game.
Lets hope we steamroll the Danes just like we did just before the tournament.
First we win the quarterfinale and then we take back Halland, Skåne and Blekinge

Old
05-18-2010, 07:30 PM
Nakawick

May 20|16:15|10:15 AM|FIN vs. CZE

I can see either team winning this game. I think this game will be close and the Fins will move on to claim a medal. (not gold of course )

May 20|16:15|10:15 AM|SWE vs. DEN

Although the Danes have played well in some games I can't see them beating Sweden. I think Sweden will advance by 3 or 4 goals and will move on to win a medal.

May 20|20:15|2:15 PM|SUI vs. GER

This game could go either way. The Swiss seem to have come back to earth after some impressive wins earlier in the tournament. I think the crowd will help Germany and it would be good for the game in Germany to have them play for a medal. Germany wins in a close game.

May 20|20:15|2:15 PM|RUS vs. CAN

The Russians want to close the wound of the Olympics and restore pride to the motherland, even if they are the only ones with their elite players. They have won the last 2 WHC and have won 24 or 25 straight at the WHC. I am sure that they would love to beat Canada by 10 goals.

Canada has not impressed this year. The younger players look lost on the big ice and they have trouble moving through center. Mason looks bad at times too. I think Russia will give us chances to score though. I wish I was able to deliver the pre game speech. I think the team will be motivated to play but they will need discipline. I won't jinx this game with a prediction but if we win I wouldn't care if the team said **** it and flew home, let the other teams have the medals.

Old
05-18-2010, 07:34 PM
CASUAL KEV
Jack Adams™

It would be a miracle if Canada could beat Russia.. this years team is terrible

Old
05-18-2010, 08:22 PM
RusskiyHockey

Thankfully, no game required Russia to have 100% effort so far. Canada will be the toughest opponent, regardless of who's wearing the Maple Leaf. However, the one area where Russia has the clearest advantage this time is goaltending. Varlamov is increadibly composed and cool for his age, he's very different from Nabokov. It's hard to envision the Mason beard-man stealing the game, although who knows? The unconventional Kovalchuk-Datsyuk-Malkin unit has unbelievable chemistry. Kovalchuk is ironically the key playmaker on the line. Canada's forwards cannot be underestimated either. No matter how high-octane the match will be, Russia will absolutely not consider a victory as consolation or revenge for Vancouver. Nor should Russia's third straight gold medal be in any way diminished by Russia's failure in Vancouver. Different tournaments, different legacies.

Old
05-19-2010, 01:12 AM
ledzep5190

From the states I say go Canada!

I have no idea why, I just have a good feeling about it...

Old
05-19-2010, 01:21 AM
ronnyweed

will suck to see canada lose, but there will in no way be that gut wrenching feeling if the game goes the wrong way. Canada has won gold at every possible event in my life, and 10 straight world championships woouldn't even compare to 1 olympic gold, or even a world cup for that matter.

interesting thought.... Its likely that no russian olympians will win the cup this year, and it is almost guarenteed that a canadian olympian will. Only montreal winning it all will ruin the "double gold" for at least 1 canadian olympian.

Old
05-19-2010, 01:22 AM
Anderson9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzep5190 View Post
From the states I say go Canada!

I have no idea why, I just have a good feeling about it...
My prediction: 10-1 Russia

Old
05-19-2010, 01:34 AM
swissexpert

I'm not sure who to cheer for in Russia-Canada.

I normally love Canada and this would be a clear one, but it would be a wrong sign if they just have to send their C roster to claim gold. Maybe a high loss to Russia would be a wake-up call for them to send better players next time. Maybe

Closed Thread