HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official Ilya Kovalchuk Thread

View Poll Results: Sign Ilya Kovalchuk?
YES! 107 45.92%
NO! 112 48.07%
Neutral/Indifferent 14 6.01%
Voters: 233. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
04-23-2010, 07:54 AM
TomLaidlaw

vCash: 500
Building your team from the wingers in is a bad bad idea. The team with the best centers beats the team with the best wingers every single time. Look back at the past Stanley Cup champs. They are all strong down the middle. Goalie playing well, puck moving d-man and strong Centers. You can get away with mediocre wingers when you have great centers.

If we were to sign Kovy it means our two highest paid forwards are wingers (Gabby and Kovy). You can't tie up that much cap space in two wingers. I don't care how good your wingers are. Here is an example. The 2009-2010 NJ Devils. They had Kovy, Parise and Elias going into the playoffs. If we were to sign Kovy would our wingers be better than the wingers the Devils had this year? No, they wouldn't. The Devils had a amazing group of wingers this year and lost in the first round in 5 games.

Look at a team like the Caps. They have two of the best wingers in the league. However, in my opinion they were never a serious threat to win the cup until Backstrom established himself as a superstar center.

Old
04-23-2010, 07:55 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Kovy makes no sense. I know the fanboys will try to say he's an elite player and this s a rare opportunity to sign a forward like this. I hear you loud and clear but with the Rangers current cap issues and state of the organization the best case scenario is we are a contender in 2 or 3 years. I'm sorry but unless bringing Kovy in means we are an immediate contender you just don't sign him.

The Rangers need to rebuild and the argument that they can't with Lundqvist or Gaborik on the team is garbage..you want proof? It took a miraculous finish just this past season or the Rangers would've had a top 5 pick...right?

Last edited by Son of Steinbrenner: 04-23-2010 at 08:08 AM.
Old
04-23-2010, 07:55 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by GothamRanger View Post
I don't think his logic was that the sum of parts will equal the whole of one. It had more to due with let's spend our money where we need the most help, not get a player who's role we've already filled and will cost more in that.
What role do we already have filled? You're only allowed one 40 goal scorer?

Old
04-23-2010, 07:57 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
I'd love him on the team, but he's going to command far too much money. I agree, pass.

It's just pain.
Old
04-23-2010, 07:58 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoothepuck View Post
He was as big a no show in NJ as Zherdev was for us last season. NY has to stay away from the long term big money contract he wants, but how many other legit scorers are out there. This team needs a legit D man and has other depth issues that need to be filled.
Two things -

1) There is no D-man worth overpaying in this market.

2) The bigger issue with this team is talent, especially skilled talent. Overpaying 2nd tier talent is what has gotten this team in trouble before, and will do so again if they're not careful.

Old
04-23-2010, 07:58 AM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Pass as well, but purely based off the money.

Rather have Volchenkov/Martin and Plekanec for 9 mil than Kovy for the same amount.

However, I wouldn't completely judge his game based off his time with the Devs. He's just an awful fit for their system.

Well good luck signing one of Volchenkov/Martin and Plekanec for 9 mill. Martin will get 5+, Volchenkov around 5 and Plekanec could get 6+.

Old
04-23-2010, 07:59 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Yeah I dont like that logic either. Its like saying Pitt should deal Malkin for picks because they already have a franchise forward.

Old
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I'd love him on the team, but he's going to command far too much money. I agree, pass.
Yeah, if they had the cap space (if Redden, Drury, and Rozsival didn't exist) I think he'd be worth going after, though I'd still be wary about giving out a max deal to a guy who obviously is not the best player in the league, or probably not even top 5 right now

Old
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GothamRanger View Post
Cheers to no Kovalchuk! We won't win any more games with him.
Come on. You can question whether it makes sense to invest a ton of money and capspace in the guy, he would certainly help the team win more games.

04-23-2010, 08:00 AM
pwoz

The only good UFA center is Marleau, but everyone seems terrified of him.

Here's a list of all UFAs:

http://www.sportscity.com/nhl/2010-n...s-by-position/

This franchise cannot build into a superpower until we go the way of the lottery.. wouldn't it be nice to say "OMG we can get Seguin!"... but no.... another "potential" group of draft picks that might see the NHL ice in 3 years, or not at all.

Old
04-23-2010, 08:02 AM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwoz View Post

Stay away from Marleu. On the wrong side of 30 and coming of PPG playing on Thornton's win. He'll get paid accordingly. Tends to disappear in playoffs too.

Old
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwoz View Post

This franchise cannot build into a superpower until we go the way of the lottery.. wouldn't it be nice to say "OMG we can get Seguin!"... but no.... another "potential" group of draft picks that might see the NHL ice in 3 years, or not at all.
Wrong side of 30, and not really a center.

Anyway, Plekanec is a good center as well.

Old
Levitate

I'm ok with Marleau, except again, he's going to get huge money and I'm not sold on him living up to whatever contract he gets

Basically the Rangers are really screwed by their current big contracts. If they can shed one or two, then fine, but right now it makes the idea of signing another big contract pretty unfeasible

Old
04-23-2010, 08:03 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Yeah, if they had the cap space (if Redden, Drury, and Rozsival didn't exist) I think he'd be worth going after, though I'd still be wary about giving out a max deal to a guy who obviously is not the best player in the league, or probably not even top 5 right now
I understand not wanting to give him the max, and not wanting to go to the mat to sign him. But, I don't buy the logic that the Rangers should sign two inferior players instead.

Old
04-23-2010, 08:04 AM
GothamRanger

Send a message via AIM to GothamRanger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
A star or two surrounded by mediocre talent does nothing but create a few exciting plays, sell a few jerseys and ultimately miss the playoffs. We've seen it the past few years.

I'd bet just about anything that replacing Redden and say Jokinen with Plekanec/Volchenkov ends up in a better team than if you replaced them with Kovy/bottom of the barrel 6th D.

It's easy to say "well adding Kovy in place of Prospal would give us a net gain of 20~ goals," but allowing every player in the organization to play in a proper role is just as important, this team might actually have more than one line that does something.

And I don't even think 9 mil for those two is an overpayment, they are that good.
I agreed. This team will be better with Plekanec / Volchenkov, but even if they don't make the playoffs or are worse, I can accept that because in the end of the day it was the pragmatic move to make. I don't think I could stomach having Kovalchuk and htis being another mediocre year. I have no desire to live the 2003 season over again.

Lead us not into temptation....

Old
04-23-2010, 08:05 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I'm ok with Marleau, except again, he's going to get huge money and I'm not sold on him living up to whatever contract he gets

Basically the Rangers are really screwed by their current big contracts. If they can shed one or two, then fine, but right now it makes the idea of signing another big contract pretty unfeasible

I've always liked Marleau, but, he's not the right player for this team at this time.

Old
04-23-2010, 08:06 AM
Levitate

Quote:
I understand not wanting to give him the max, and not wanting to go to the mat to sign him. But, I don't buy the logic that the Rangers should sign two inferior players instead.
yeah I understand that. I kind of feel like those spots can be filled by prospects in a few years, but the waiting can be hard. On the other hand, if you sign FA's, you're likely committing to a bunch of years and then they block those prospects.

Old
04-23-2010, 08:07 AM
TomLaidlaw

How about we don't sign any free agents.

Old
04-23-2010, 08:11 AM
nyr2417

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgShakeNbake View Post
everyone does not need to worry, after seeing Kovalchuk bomb in the playoffs and do absolutely nothing to help his team win, his stock went down.

no team will offer that guy 11mill... my guess

((all speculation))...

marty calls it quits and they resign Kovalchuk...

((Reason being is because Marty has not helped his team make it into the second round since like 07 when they got spanked by the Sens))

Kovalchuk has officially become the new Hossa...

((maybe this means the black hawks will win the cup this year))

marty has to pay 500k in alimony a year to his ex-wife. Sure he has a lot of money but he's going to play as long as he can

Old
04-23-2010, 08:12 AM
nyr2417

absolute maximum i'd be okay with signing kovy for is 8 mill. cap hit other than that let the loser walk

Old
04-23-2010, 08:13 AM
Maineice11

Send a message via AIM to Maineice11
i do not want any part of kovalchuck, he gets infuriated pretty easily and then reacts and forgets about his team, he never plays defense...if you watched him im pretty sure during the playoff series against nyr he went for a line change when new york was heading down on a rush and so nyr got a 3 on 2 instead of a 3 on 3 and i believe we scored on it, sorry i dont want any selfish players!

Old
04-23-2010, 08:14 AM
GothamRanger

Quote:
There's the difference between being a player able to score 40 goals and a a 40 goal scorer. Kovalchuk's contribution to his team starts and ends at his stat line. And I love Gaborik, I know he kills penalties, but in the end of the day he doesn't have many dimensions in the same way Kovalchuk does. They are there to score goals, and that's it.

There's a law of diminishing returns. You can't expect that adding three 40-goal scorers to a team means you just added 120 goals in production. There's the law of mutual exclusivity, diminishing returns, etc: playing on the same line makes each person less productive, playing on different lines means one person will get less ice time than the other, etc.

There's a difference between players like Crosby and Patrick Marleau. You want to add those types to our club, that's an entirely different story.

Old
04-23-2010, 08:15 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Wrong side of 30, and not really a center.

Anyway, Plekanec is a good 2nd line center as well.
FIFY...for his career, he's not even on Gomez' level of production. But, people want to commit long term to him and make him the 1st line center.

Old
04-23-2010, 08:16 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyko1827 View Post
absolute maximum i'd be okay with signing kovy for is 8 mill. cap hit other than that let the loser walk
What if... We gave him a 15 year deal with the final 4 years at league minimum for buyout/retirement purposes in order to make the 8 mil number work... would you be on board with that?

Old
04-23-2010, 08:17 AM
GothamRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Come on. You can question whether it makes sense to invest a ton of money and capspace in the guy, he would certainly help the team win more games.
We've seen the Thrashers with and without Kovalchuk. We've seen the Devils without and now with Kovalchuk. Where did you see a Kovalchuk team winning more games?

Closed Thread